5. UGA 5.5

6. Florida 6.5

6. UK 6.5

8. Arkansas 7.12

9. Auburn 7.5

10. Ole Miss 8.00

11. MSU 8.37

12. Vanderbilt 9.47

That tell's me all I need to know about Lindy's right there. Thanks, BP.

Longtrain, doesn't that make it seem even more that these unit rankings really don't mean much?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avg. team rankings:

1. Alabama 4.62

1. LSU 4.62

3. USC 4.75

4. Tenn 5.1

5. UGA 5.5

6. Florida 6.5

6. UK 6.5

8. Arkansas 7.12

9. Auburn 7.5

10. Ole Miss 8.00

11. MSU 8.37

12. Vanderbilt 9.47

JPW was in his 1st year with a young OL, no Senior WRs, and most of his backfield injured. Stafford, Cox, and Ainge will all have new OLs. We;ll see how they do. Did I mention that Rosie makes me hot?

So, based on what I'm seeing here, it is being said that bama is tied with LSU as far as talent is concerned, at the TOP of the SEC? Couple that with the coaching prowess of $aban, and you guys are a shoe-in to win the West, and cakewalk right through the Championship Game!

I'll definitely be bookmarking this post for future reference.

I picked up this mag last night at the grocery store. I was just pumped that they started coming out. I haven't opened it yet but after seeing this thread, I'm gonna' treat it like Supper treats his Playboy subscription. Just for the pictures and hope there's a good cheerleader segment in there. B)

Hey, don't shoot the messenger! :roflol:

Can somebody read this to me and explain what Borges says about the OL? There are some big words I don't understand like "optimism", "chemistry", "dominant" and "insight"

http://www.sandmountainreporter.com/story....c8fef9154bacff4

Plus I like to watch videos of Rosie O eating spaghetti with her hands.

Well just like I have been saying, all that talent coupled with god little nicky, anything less then an SEC championship is a disappointment.

And BG you are returning one of the most experienced OL’s in the SEC, if not the most.

..most experienced O-line? I don't know, does breaking huddle, lining up, then blocking no one really count as "experience"? :rolleyes::poke:

Avg. team rankings:

1. Alabama 4.62 :roflol:

1. LSU 4.62

3. USC 4.75 :roflol:

4. Tenn 5.1 :roflol:

5. UGA 5.5

6. Florida 6.5

6. UK 6.5 :roflol:

8. Arkansas 7.12

9. Auburn 7.5 :blink:

10. Ole Miss 8.00

11. MSU 8.37

12. Vanderbilt 9.47

According to this, we should openly expect nothing less than an :sec: Title for :ua: because everyone knows that Saban is a far better coach than Miles. Write it down, Bama wins the :sec:

Lindy is a Bama grad. And you guys wonder why we laugh out loud at Bama delusion.

This is America people! If it sells, print it! Who cares about what's true and right!

Post of the Day!!!!

And Jared, you know it is selling like hotcakes.

Avg. team rankings:

1. Alabama 4.62

1. LSU 4.62

3. USC 4.75

4. Tenn 5.1

5. UGA 5.5

6. Florida 6.5

6. UK 6.5

8. Arkansas 7.12

9. Auburn 7.5

10. Ole Miss 8.00

11. MSU 8.37

12. Vanderbilt 9.47

JPW was in his 1st year with a young OL, no Senior WRs, and most of his backfield injured. Stafford, Cox, and Ainge will all have new OLs. We;ll see how they do. Did I mention that Rosie makes me hot?

So what will be yours and BG's excuse this year when you finish 7-5? If he's loaded you guys up with this much talent, why did you fire Shula??

Avg. team rankings:

1. Alabama 4.62

1. LSU 4.62

3. USC 4.75

4. Tenn 5.1

5. UGA 5.5

6. Florida 6.5

6. UK 6.5

8. Arkansas 7.12

9. Auburn 7.5

10. Ole Miss 8.00

11. MSU 8.37

12. Vanderbilt 9.47

That tell's me all I need to know about Lindy's right there. Thanks, BP.

Longtrain, doesn't that make it seem even more that these unit rankings really don't mean much?

Well, no pre-season predictions/rankings ever mean anything, but we have to have something to get worked up about between January and August, don't we? They're all useless, but some of them at least appear to have a clue what they're talking about.

Well, no pre-season predictions/rankings ever mean anything, but we have to have something to get worked up about between January and August, don't we? They're all useless, but some of them at least appear to have a clue what they're talking about.

I've always thought unit rankings and player rankings were great preseason fodder for discussion. Other than that, they exist just to sell magazines.

Avg. team rankings:

1. Alabama 4.62

1. LSU 4.62

3. USC 4.75

4. Tenn 5.1

5. UGA 5.5

6. Florida 6.5

6. UK 6.5

8. Arkansas 7.12

9. Auburn 7.5

10. Ole Miss 8.00

11. MSU 8.37

12. Vanderbilt 9.47

So what will be yours and BG's excuse this year when you finish 7-5? If he's loaded you guys up with this much talent, why did you fire Shula??

Because Shula wasn't a good Head Coach. A good guy and a below average OC. A blind man could see the OL coach needed to be fired after hist 1st year. Their were only 2 good coached on that entire staff.

A 2nd opinion on the WR rankings from Rivals:

SEC Position Rankings: Tide receivers check in

1.] Alabama

Projected starters: DJ Hall; Keith Brown; Nikita Stover.

Next up: Matt Caddell; Will Oakley; Mike McCoy; Earl Alexander; Jonathan Lowe.

Best of the bunch: Hall holds multiple UA receiving records, including the mark for yards in a season, which he set in 2006 on his to becoming just the second Tide player to eclipse the 1,000-yard plateau.

Biggest loss: None. The Tide's top five wide receivers from a season are set to return.

Biggest concern: As good as he's been in stretches during his career, Brown has struggled to stay on the field. The good news is that if the senior falls victim to the injury bug in 2007, there are plenty of options waiting in the wings.

Biggest reason for optimism: With a healthy Tyrone Prothro, this wouldn't be up for debate. Even without him, five upperclassmen with starting experience return for the Tide, which will employ more three wide receiver sets under offensive coordinator Major Applewhite. McCoy and Alexander are two talented receivers who will battle for starting spots after Hall and Brown graduate. The possibility of a five-star receiver from Foley, Ala., joining the rotation in 2008 has the fan base thinking big when looking ahead to the future.

2.] Florida

Projected starters: Andre Caldwell; Percy Harvin; Louis Murphy.

Next up: Jarred Fayson; David Nelson; Riley Cooper.

Best of the bunch: Harvin's receiving numbers (34 catches for 427 yards and two touchdowns) from his freshman campaign were impressive enough, but it's his ability to hit the homerun on reverses and totes out of the backfield that separates him from Caldwell. Harvin averaged 10.4 yards per carry on 41 attempts in 2006.

Biggest loss: Dallas Baker led the Gators in receptions (60), receiving yards (920) and touchdown receptions (10) a season ago.

Biggest concern: The Gators could use another after-the-catch playmaker to go along with Harvin. Fayson could be that guy.

Biggest reason for optimism: On the strength of a strong spring, Murphy surged to the top of the depth chart. The junior caught eight passes for 129 yards and one touchdown in the Orange and Blue game. In addition to the personnel listed above, tight end Cornelius Ingram is essentially another wide receiver, so assigning a linebacker to cover the junior won't cut it.

3.] Kentucky

Projected starters: Keenan Burton; Dicky Lyons Jr..

Next up: Steve Johnson; DeMoreo Ford; David Jones; Sean Murphy; Terrence Jones; Andre Henderson.

Best of the bunch: Burton picked up first-team All-SEC honors from the Associated Press after catching 77 passes for 1036 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2006.

Biggest loss: After withdrawing for academic reasons during the spring semester, quarterback/wide receiver Curtis Pulley, who had 21 catches for 201 yards in 2006, was recently readmitted for the fall semester. The bad news for UK fans is that he'll spend the 2007 season redshirting.

Biggest concern: There are experienced players behind Burton and Lyons, but none of the returnees had more than 12 catches last season.

Biggest reason for optimism: Between them, Burton and Lyons combined for 127 receptions, 1,858 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns in 2006. Oh, and quarterback Andre' Woodson returns after throwing for 3,515 yards and 31 touchdowns (against just seven interceptions) last season.

4.] LSU

Projected starters: Early Doucet; Brandon LaFell.

Next up: Trindon Holliday; Jared Mitchell.

Best of the bunch: By far LSU's most experienced receiver, Doucet caught 59 passes for 772 yards and eight touchdowns in 2006. The senior caught nine passes for 115 yards and a touchdown in the Tigers' spring game.

Biggest loss: Dwayne Bowe led the team in receptions (65), receiving yards (990) and touchdowns (12) a season ago. He was recently selected by the Kansas City Chiefs in the first round of the NFL Draft.

Biggest concern: Other than Doucet, the rotation was up and down during spring drills. While the strong-armed JaMarcus Russell was always a threat to make plays down the field, opposing defensive coordinators will be interested to see if Matt Flynn can do the same.

Biggest reason for optimism: Even if the talent on hand doesn't step forward, chances are at least one of the incoming freshmen -- DeAngelo Benton, Demetrius Byrd and Terrance Toliver -- will.

5.] Vanderbilt

Projected starters: Earl Bennett; Sean Walker; George Smith.

Next up: Alex Washington; Justin Wheeler; Bryant Anderson.

Best of the bunch: No such thing as a sophomore slump where Bennett is concerned. The Birmingham native followed up his record-setting freshman campaign by catching 82 passes for 1,146 yards and six touchdowns in 2006. And that was with Chris Nickson taking over for NFL first-round pick Jay Cutler at quarterback.

Biggest loss: Marlon White caught 25 passes for 313 yards and two touchdowns in 2006.

Biggest concern: The difference between Bennett and the Commodores' next-best receiver (White) last season was 57 receptions.

Biggest reason for optimism: A solid running game and a year of SEC experience for Nickson will only help a passing game that finished seventh (201.4 ypg) in the league a season ago.

6.] Auburn

Projected starters: Rod Smith; Robert Dunn; Montez Billings.

Next up: Prechae Rodriguez; James Swinton; Terrell Zachery; Alex Rose; Tim Hawthorne.

Best of the bunch: Smith averaged 17.4 yards per catch in pulling in 26 passes for 452 yards last season. His four touchdown receptions led the team.

Biggest loss: Courtney Taylor led the way in receptions (54) and receiving yards (704) in 2006.

Biggest concern: Outside of Smith, there isn't much in the way of a proven commodity at this spot.

Biggest reason for optimism: With quarterback Brandon Cox back to full strength, the passing game produced a number of big plays during spring drills. Dunn had four catches for 103 yards in one scrimmage and Billings hauled in four passes for 70 yards and one touchdown in the spring game.

7.] Georgia

Projected starters: Sean Bailey; Mikey Henderson.

Next up: A.J. Bryant; Mohamed Massaquoi; Kenneth Harris; Kris Durham; Demiko Goodman.

Best of the bunch: After sitting out the 2006 season while recovering from an ACL injury sustained during Sugar Bowl practices in December 2005, Bailey made his way back into the starting lineup in the spring. A starter in 10 games as a junior, Bailey averaged 22.8 yards per catch, reeling in 16 passes for 364 yards and four touchdowns.

Biggest loss: Mario Raley caught eight passes for 111 yards and two touchdowns in 2006.

Biggest concern: A tight end (Martrez Milner) had the same number of catches (30) as the Dawgs' top wide receiver (Massaquoi) a season ago. Milner's three touchdown receptions were good enough to lead the team in that department. After an impressive freshman season in 2005, Massaquoi struggled with drops as a sophomore.

Biggest reason for optimism: The return of Bailey gives this group a legitimate big-play threat.

8.] Mississippi State

Projected starters: Brandon McRae; Jamayel Smith.

Next up: Tony Burks; Aubrey Bell; Lance Long; Tyler Threadgill.

Best of the bunch: Burks piled up 850 receiving yards on just 35 receptions (24.3 ypc) a season ago -- all of which was apparently good enough to earn him second team status to Smith coming out of the spring. That's not meant to knock Smith's abilities, because Alabama fans are still trying to forget his 41-yard touchdown reception in MSU's upset of the Tide last November.

Biggest loss: As a part-time starter in 2006, Will Prosser caught 11 passes for 135 yards.

Biggest concern: The first four receivers in the rotation are SEC caliber, but that's where it ends.

Biggest reason for optimism: Whether you choose to call it good fortune or an exceptional eye for talent, the MSU staff has unearthed some diamonds at receiver the past few years. First it was walk-on Smith who made a splash and now there's McRae, a 6-foot-3 transfer from Morehead State who runs in the 4.4 range.

9.] Arkansas

Projected starters: Marcus Monk; Robert Johnson.

Next up: London Crawford; Marques Wade; Reggie Fish; Chris Baker.

Best of the bunch: Monk caught 50 passes for 962 yards (19.2 ypc) and 11 touchdowns in 2006. At 6-foot-6, the senior is a red zone nightmare for opposing defenses.

Biggest loss: Damian Williams transferred to Southern California after pulling in 19 passes for 235 yards and two touchdowns as a true freshman a season ago.

Biggest concern: Do the Razorbacks have a legitimate No. 2 receiver behind Monk? Former quarterback Johnson was the other starter coming out of spring practice.

Biggest reason for optimism: With defenses keying on running backs Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, Monk should see more man coverage than a receiver of his ilk normally would. Question is, can quarterback Casey Dick get Monk the football?

10.] South Carolina

Projected starters: Kenny McKinley; Larry Freeman.

Next up: Moe Brown; Freddie Brown; Mike West.

Best of the bunch: Despite being overshadowed by Sidney Rice in 2006, McKinley was extremely productive, pulling in 51 passes for 880 yards and five touchdowns.

Biggest loss: Rice, who took his game to the NFL after piling up 72 catches for 1,090 yards and 10 touchdowns as a third-year sophomore, was a threat to score from anywhere on the field.

Biggest concern: JUCO transfer Freeman looks to be the starter opposite McKinley, but no one took the job by the throat during spring drills.

Biggest reason for optimism: The nation's top-ranked wide receiver recruiting class, which, in addition to Freeman, includes a five-star recruit (Chris Culliver) and two four-star signees (Jason Barnes and Dion Lecorn), is expected to arrive on campus this summer.

11.] Ole Miss

Projected starters: Dexter McCluster; Mike Wallace.

Next up: Shay Hodge; Marshay Green; Mico McSwain; Michael Hicks.

Best of the bunch: McCluster and Green dazzle with their speed and elusiveness, but it was Wallace who led the Rebels in receptions (24) and yards (410) in 2006. Wallace had three catches for 86 yards and one touchdown in the Rebels' overtime loss at Alabama last October.

Biggest loss: None. Ole Miss' top four receivers -- Wallace, Green, Hodge and McCluster -- from a season ago are back.

Biggest concern: In accordance with NCAA transfer rules, the Rebels' top quarterback -- Texas transfer Jevan Snead -- won't be on the field this fall. Seth Adams can run the offense, but it remains to be seen if he can make all the throws.

Biggest reason for optimism: A.J. Jackson, a 6-foot-6 JUCO transfer, should complement diminutive guys like McCluster and Green well.

12.] Tennessee

Projected starters: Quintin Hancock; Lucas Taylor.

Next up: Austin Rogers; Josh Briscoe; Slick Shelley.

Best of the bunch: His stat line from the 2006 season (two catches for 29 yards) does little to quicken the pulse, but practice observers liked what they saw from Hancock during spring drills. Of all the receivers, he appears to possess the top combination of size and speed at the position.

Biggest loss: One of the SEC's top playmakers a season ago, Robert Meachem was named first-team All-SEC after catching 71 passes for 1,298 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2006. The New Orleans Saints selected Meachem in the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft.

Biggest concern: In addition to Meachem, the Vols must replace Jayson Swain and Bret Smith, a duo that combined for 88 receptions, 1,141 yards and 11 touchdowns a season ago.

Biggest reason for optimism: It could be argued that the play of Meachem, Swain and Smith made quarterback Erik Ainge look good last season. With the trio having moved on, perhaps Ainge has reached a point in his development that will allow him to elevate the play of those around him.

13]. Rosie O'Donnell

Projected Hottness: Infinity

Top five SEC wide receivers for 2007: Earl Bennett, Vanderbilt; Keenan Burton, Kentucky; DJ Hall, Alabama; Percy Harvin, Florida; Marcus Monk, Arkansas.

Mods - please save this thread so we can go back to it in December.

You guys have already been saying your talent level is not very good. But since Bammer Lindy says you have the top talent in the conference you believe him? If you guys are this gullible I have some ocean front property in Arizona I’d like to sell you.

First, I've already said that plenty of those Lindy's rankings of Alabama are off.

I think it's hard to argue against Alabama's talent at WR. And our secondary has been strong for years. I think the problem comes in when you lack talent at the most crucial positions.

Lack of DL pressure is going to drag down our secondary talent. Since we will struggle against the run due to lack of LB talent, it will cause us to bring up a Nickel, thus opening us up for the pass.

Also, I feel really good about 3 of our 5 oline positions. Unfortunately, all it takes is one right tackle to miss a block and your pass game goes to crap.

I think we are top two in WR. Top three at QB and special teams. Top 3 in secondary. I think we are middle of the pack at RB since we lost both of our great fullbacks. I'd say bottom 3 in DL, bottom 5 in LB, I think we have the best left tackle and center in the league...and if Chris Capps starts at right tackle, we will have the worst player at that position.

First, I've already said that plenty of those Lindy's rankings of Alabama are off.

I think it's hard to argue against Alabama's talent at WR. And our secondary has been strong for years. I think the problem comes in when you lack talent at the most crucial positions.

For old time's sake, BG, how deep are you rolling at WR?

Well we have 4 wide receivers who could start for pretty much anyone in the sec.

Keith Brown

DJ Hall

Matt Caddell

Nikita Stover

Which means one of our backups would be at worst a 3rd WR on other SEC's lineup, save UF.

We also have guys like Will Oakley who has seen a good bit of playing time. Mike McCoy, who should have been redshirted last year, is very very good.

Well we have 4 wide receivers who could start for pretty much anyone in the sec.

Keith Brown

DJ Hall

Matt Caddell

Nikita Stover

Which means one of our backups would be at worst a 3rd WR on other SEC's lineup, save UF.

We also have guys like Will Oakley who has seen a good bit of playing time. Mike McCoy, who should have been redshirted last year, is very very good.

You interpret that wrong. All four of those are not better than four receivers at any other school, so your backup would not be a third WR on any other team's lineup.

You have some decent receivers, but I'll be quite honest, I don't see what all the hype is. If AU and AL were to play tomorrow, I wouldn't be worried about Bama's receivers. Don't think I'd say that about every other school.

Keith Brown

DJ Hall

Matt Caddell

Nikita Stover

If AU and AL were to play tomorrow, I wouldn't be worried about Bama's receivers. Don't think I'd say that about every other school.

Yes, you would. You're a blowhard and a huge homer. An overall good guy, but a homer nonetheless...

As far as the rankings go - Has he not seen our LBs? Putting us at 11th in the conference is generous. I can't imagine any team being worse. Our o-line will be improved, but we're certainly not worthy of a #1 ranking. WRs? I don't see how you can argue that point. Our WR corps is the best in the conference bar none.

Lack of DL pressure is going to drag down our secondary talent. Since we will struggle against the run due to lack of LB talent, it will cause us to bring up a Nickel, thus opening us up for the pass.

Also, I feel really good about 3 of our 5 oline positions. Unfortunately, all it takes is one right tackle to miss a block and your pass game goes to crap.

I think we are top two in WR. Top three at QB and special teams. Top 3 in secondary. I think we are middle of the pack at RB since we lost both of our great fullbacks. I'd say bottom 3 in DL, bottom 5 in LB, I think we have the best left tackle and center in the league...and if Chris Capps starts at right tackle, we will have the worst player at that position.

The problem is that you guys and your media shills don't look at facts.

In 2006 the final SEC standings you finished:

7th in passing efficiency

6th in passing offense

6th in pass defense efficiency

9th scoring offense

8th in giving up sacks

6th in field goals

9th in PAT

5th in punting

7th in punt returns

One of your guys was in the top ten in receiving. So how do you or Lindsey's get any top 2 or 3 in anything?

It's all about stats. How did I forget?

DJ Hall sat out the Hawaii game and the first half against Vandy. Brown was injured against Ole Miss and missed 4 games. We played 5 games last season with both of them on the field. Stover? He's decent but a little too slow for my tastes. Oakley? Why he was picking out the splinters from his rear for the majority of the '06 season baffles me. Ask the Jaguars' new QBs coach. Mike McCoy and Earl Alexander will make noise as well as the TE becoming a passing option once again.

A passing efficiency rating can be pretty skewed when you have a non-existent running game and Shula, Rader, and Connelly on the sidelines. Scoring offense? Hard to dominate that category when you're collapsing nearly every time in the redzone. A couple of (gasp!) playaction passes inside the 10 would have changed our standing in this category.

PATs? Woo Pig Sooie. I don't think Jamie ever missed one.

Punt returns? Alabama was last in the nation through 3 games before we replaced Castille with Arenas. Arenas was outstanding as a true freshman and we've now got another guy just like him in Jonathan Lowe.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Punt returns? Alabama was last in the nation through 3 games before we replaced Castille with Arenas. Arenas was outstanding as a true freshman and we've now got another guy just like him in Jonathan Lowe.

But I thought Shula couldn't make adjustments?

you have to be a loser and buy the magazine, which, of course, I did, since it had a dreamy picture of John Wilson on the cover. I hide with it under my bedsheets at night.
So, BP, whatever gets you through the night.

Otter, see above post for your answer...

Those excuses just come at you so fast, it messes you up.

As with every rule...

"I before e

except afer c

or when sounding like a

as in neighbor and weigh"

Every team has injuries. Passing efficiency can be skewed up as much as it can down.

The point is, why are you UAT fans and media hacks that pull for UAT, the only ones that can play the "what if" game to improve how you may improve this mythical unit ranking.

Brandon Cox, who did not have a good year and was injured still finished above SJPW in passing eff. last year. Now that he is healthy, he is going to be worse than SJPW?

This is what makes AU fans and other fans keep from taking you and your media guys serious.

Archived