How you became an Auburn Fan

PChamp119

Mom and Dad are both Auburn grads, met at Auburn, married at Grace UMC even, plus I grew up in Lee County. It just sort of made sense. But I wasn't a locked-in fan until October 1994--Nix to Sanders in the Swamp. I was die-hard from that point on. Up to then I hadn't cared much about any sports (looking back, I was more or less bred to be a band nerd).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My father is an Auburn alumnus as well as my aunt.

I started at Auburn in 97 and graduated from Auburn in 2001. I took a few summers off to do drum corps and work…etc.

There was never a question where I was going.

I love Auburn and look back at my stay there as some of the best years of my life. I am a supporter of the teams (football, baseball, basketball, soccer…etc) no matter how they fair, because they represent our school, not because they are good.

we had team day in kindergarten... and my mom sent me in crimson.. so the next day my teacher bought me an auburn shirt and sent it home with me...

the rest was history...........

I was born into it.

Grandfather played baseball there and was roomates and good friends with Shug. Mom and her sister went there. I graduated in '02. My mom always talks about going back with her father to visit and going to Coach Shug's office.

My dad went to E Carolina to play football but he wears his orange shirt on gamedays now.

WDE

As a high school senior in Parsippany, New Jersey...I was applying to tech schools all across the eastern seaboard. My girlfriend at the time has a brother who went to Auburn and was there at the time. She applied and so did I. I also applied to VT, GT and NC st. Having never heard of Auburn, I was a little reluctant to actually consider it until I actually set foot on campus. From that point forward VT and NC St didn't stand a chance. It became and AU/GT race (Auburn 'cause I liked it, GT because well... its GT).

In December of senior year I got a letter from Auburn asking me to apply for a Vodafone scholarship for their new wireless engineering program. I wound up getting both my acceptance to GT and my scholarship offer on virtually the same day. Auburn won out simply because it was the best option financially and I've been a huge Auburn fan ever since.

Luckily my then girlfriend did not accompany me to Auburn so I don't have to deal with her. :)

:cheer: for Auburn

Let's see... I remember I was in middle school so that would be from when I was about 12 - 14 which would be somewhere about 10 years ago. Maybe so of you guys can help me remember which year this was when I explain the game to you.

Back then I was always half auburn fan half gator fan. Ya know living in Florida before I moved here and then catching the Auburn Fever. so I had never really chosen a #1. UNTIL My best friend who is well known around the aunation parts, Vatz22au took me to my first College game ever muchless my first Auburn Game.

The drive there was an experience as I noticed ever car on the way down there was marked with blue and orange and every now and then a hint of the purple and yellow. When I got there I saw the sea of orange and immediately was pumped. But then we got into the stadium and saw the amazing field. Of course they let the eagle fly and I remember it was the longest flight I have seen still to this day and I have now attended quite a few games.

Vatz told me it was going to be a good game because the longer that bird flies the better we will do. And then we stomped a (I believe was) #4 in the nation LSU I think the score was 39-3 or something close to that and at the end of the game everyone was chanting overrated. It was awesome. Been an addicted fan ever since. I just can't get enough.

War Damn Eagle and thanks Vatz for turning me into the fan I am today! (Member your dad was all drunk and telling all those corny jokes the whole trip and your mom came out that night in her night gown? That was too funny)

Let's see... I remember I was in middle school so that would be from when I was about 12 - 14 which would be somewhere about 10 years ago. Maybe so of you guys can help me remember which year this was when I explain the game to you.

Back then I was always half auburn fan half gator fan. Ya know living in Florida before I moved here and then catching the Auburn Fever. so I had never really chosen a #1. UNTIL My best friend who is well known around the aunation parts, Vatz22au took me to my first College game ever muchless my first Auburn Game.

The drive there was an experience as I noticed ever car on the way down there was marked with blue and orange and every now and then a hint of the purple and yellow. When I got there I saw the sea of orange and immediately was pumped. But then we got into the stadium and saw the amazing field. Of course they let the eagle fly and I remember it was the longest flight I have seen still to this day and I have now attended quite a few games.

Vatz told me it was going to be a good game because the longer that bird flies the better we will do. And then we stomped a (I believe was) #4 in the nation LSU I think the score was 39-3 or something close to that and at the end of the game everyone was chanting overrated. It was awesome. Been an addicted fan ever since. I just can't get enough.

War Damn Eagle and thanks Vatz for turning me into the fan I am today! (Member your dad was all drunk and telling all those corny jokes the whole trip and your mom came out that night in her night gown? That was too funny)

Hmm... well, the eagle has only been flying since 2000. Since then, we've played LSU at home in '00, '02, '04, and '06. In 2000 it was a night game against an unranked LSU team, which was close until the 4th quarter, and we won going away 34-17. 2002 is probably the one you're thinking of. It was a rainy game and we blew out LSU (who was ranked #10 at the time and the defending SEC champs) by a score of 31-7.

Hmm... well, the eagle has only been flying since 2000. Since then, we've played LSU at home in '00, '02, '04, and '06. In 2000 it was a night game against an unranked LSU team, which was close until the 4th quarter, and we won going away 34-17. 2002 is probably the one you're thinking of. It was a rainy game and we blew out LSU (who was ranked #10 at the time and the defending SEC champs) by a score of 31-7.

31-7 had to be it. Like I said I took a good guess that it was ABOUT 10 years ago so maybe I guess it was 2002 which would be almost 6 years now. I thought I was in middle but I guess I could be wrong. the only thing I do remember was the experience of the drive down there and the game itself. And yes I do remember it was a little rainy because his parents had their ponchos and me and vatz just had our Auburn hats to block the rain lol. It never really poured just a constant hazy rain that eventually saturated us. As for the score I just remember we were in the 30's and they were below 10. Great game it was. If vatz comes in maybe he can elaborate a little. Damn good memory though Longtrainn hell you even remember it was raining. I didn't even recall that until you said it.

31-7 had to be it. Like I said I took a good guess that it was ABOUT 10 years ago so maybe I guess it was 2002 which would be almost 6 years now. I thought I was in middle but I guess I could be wrong. the only thing I do remember was the experience of the drive down there and the game itself. And yes I do remember it was a little rainy because his parents had their ponchos and me and vatz just had our Auburn hats to block the rain lol. It never really poured just a constant hazy rain that eventually saturated us. As for the score I just remember we were in the 30's and they were below 10. Great game it was. If vatz comes in maybe he can elaborate a little. Damn good memory though Longtrainn hell you even remember it was raining. I didn't even recall that until you said it.

Thanks, but I did cheat a little. I had to look at the media guide to see where LSU was ranked, but the rest I did actually remember, like the scores and the weather.

Native of GA, grew up with UGA and the legend of Herschell being plastered all over. Older bro was attending AU at the time, and upon visiting a few times, I really thought it was a neat place. But I was lucky enough to visit a few other college campi in the S.E while I was in high school, and Auburn just had something special about it. It was a quiet confidence about it, something I can't really explain. Where as UGA, and later I saw w/ UAT, these places just were all in your face , their fans telling you how great they were and you're a loser if you don't appreciate THEIR greatness . :rolleyes:

Folks in Auburn just seemed to me to have things more in perspective, showing enthusiasm for life ( not just football ) but not to the hysterical levels I'd seen elsewhere. Again, hard to put into words. Best way I can sum it up has already been done, in the The Auburn Creed.

wde

My Turn... :) I was born and raised in Alabama lived in a house not far from the Bhm airport. We had a neighbor who was a big AUBURN fan and I never cared for RED and White so from about 4 years of age until now I Bleed Blue and Orange. My mom or dad never went to college and all of my dads family were those tipical alabama fans that never steped foot on a college campus. So to be my own person I chose AUBURN early. Faceing the family during christmas holidays especially when bama was always beating us was always hard but i always stood my ground and wore my AUBURN shirts with pride.... I graduated WA Berry in 83. my grades were not quite good enough to get in my beloved University... so I went to Jeff State for a year and a half so I could get my GPA high enough to transfer...that was my only goal at Jeff State...not to Grad at a jr College but just to use them as a stepping stone to things much bigger...Fall quarter of 85 I appeared on AU Campus. where I took my Time to Graduate cause that where I wanted to be... I attended Auburns visual arts school. Graduated Fall Quarter of 89 after the most memorible game of my Life. A day I Will Never forget and a Day the alabama faithful said would never happen. now thanks to me LOL most of my dads brothers and sisters had kids then they had kids and most of them are now AUBURN FANS LOL thanks to me :)

WAR EAGLE!!!!

My Mom and Dad both went to Auburn (and my fraternal Grandfather as well), so I grew up as a fan. My Dad loves Auburn and always roots for the Tigers. My Mom doesn't like sports, but she always told me that Auburn was a special place with nice people.

I applied to several colleges, but ended up choosing Auburn (one of the best decisions of my life) and spent four wonderful years there. After a few weeks, I knew I was an Auburn man for life. I graduated in 1997.

I've been gone for a whole decade now and live hundreds of miles away, but I still love it as much as ever. My Auburn diploma hangs in my office, Auburn plates are on my car (yes Virginia has Auburn plates) and an Auburn flag is on my house.

War Eagle, and it's great to be an Auburn Tiger!

:au: Been a fan since day 1. Attended my first Auburn game in 86' against.....bama!!!! I remember it like it was yesterday. My first game to see in Auburn was the 89' game!!!! Enough said. I graduated from AU in 02' with a civil eng degree. Now, I'm a member of the Eye of the Tiger club. :au:

I'm not trying to start anything. I really am curious to know who on this board is an Auburn Alum/student or Auburn fan. Either way, how you found Auburn and when and what your ties are like. If you are an Alum, when did did you attend? If you have any affilliation with the University, add that in too.

Regardless of what you all think of me, I love this University and I know you all do too. Just want to know more about y'all.

I posted this story a long time ago, but I love telling this story so here goes. I was born with Bammer parents. By all rights, I was to be a Bammer myself. In the first grade, I had this mean od lady for a teacher who was always in a bad mood. She would raise up my pants legs and whop me with a paddle on my calf every day. I totally despised her. We never did fun stuff that you are supposed to do in the first grade. It was always work work work and if you dared laugh or talk you got the calf whoopin. Anyway, one day Paul Bear Bryant died. My teacher wheeled in this big ole' TV (you know the ones with tuning knobs) and made us watch the funeral. She began to cry. Now, this was the first time that I ever saw any emotion whatsoever from this woman except for her mean streaks. All I knew was that this was my opportunity for some payback. I knew nothing about football at the time, but I did know that he was the coach at Bammer and that Auburn hated Alabama. So I walked up to her and said "I'm glad he's dead, i'm an Auburn fan" ...Well not only did I get my ass whipped at school. I got sent home for the day for being "hateful" and got whipped at home too!!! That was when I realized that Bammers were no good, and that they were stupid and that I hated them.....Years later I decided to go to Auburn. My parents NEVER came to visit me once b/c they didnt want to come to Auburn. I had to drive to Montgomery to meet them. They did come to my graduation, and they did tell me that they were very proud of me (they better have, it was a very tough 7 years spent there :) !!! ). Anyway, I am an Auburn Tiger through and through and my kids Will be too!!!! WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was born into it. My dad was an Auburn grad and had me in Pat Sullivan #7 jerseys when I was a toddler. The first Auburn player I can remember watching and being my favorite was Charlie Trotman, but I also liked Joe Cribbs and James Brooks. I vividly remember wearing my Auburn jersey so proudly to school the Monday after "Bo Over The Top." It was so nice to shut up the bammers. The first games I got to attend were in the 1983 season. I saw the lone loss (Texas) and went to Athens to see us win the SEC 13-7. I've never known what it would be to be anything other than an Auburn man.

Side note: all of our relatives were bammers though not one of them had ever even set foot on campus. My grandmother tried to pay me and my brother $5 each (which was a pretty big deal for a kid in the 70s) to say "Row Tahd" but we wouldn't and told her it was a "dirty word." Also, one time on a trip to Gulf Shores, bammer QB Steadman Shealy was there and we somehow got to talking to him. He tried to get me and my brother to say it too and we told him the same thing.

Because of my Dad...

His story is better...

His sr. year of high school he was all set to attend GT to become an architect... He was set with housing and had all the fees sent in... Visited Auburn because he had heard it was Beautiful... So he went down and came away accepted and set to attend AU...

Thank goodness I'm not a GT fan now...

I came to AU for undergard in 1981 based on the good academic reputation of a Drs. McFarland, Kickighter and a few other history professors that speciailized in the areas I wanted to study. Period. I was studying in CDV on a Saturday and heard all this noise from the football stadium. I walked over and tried to get a ticket from a scalper w/ (no kidding) a check. He basically patted me on the head, gave me the ticket and said "have fun." It was a 50 yard line seat @ the 1981 AU vs. LSU game. I was hooked.

I love this one! :cheer:

My pappy had a scholarship to Auburn when he graduated HS in 1941, but with WWII on the horizon he joined the Navy. He liked it so well he married a Wave and stayed in. He never attended, but was and is a fan.

Fast forward to 1966 (me) and 1968 (my brother). We both attended and graduated from Auburn. And both went into the Navy. I retired but my brother is a Captain for Delta. Poor guy.

I was airborne over North Viet Nam during Punt bama Punt... It's true, you never forget where you were!

War Eagle!

LTF

My dad was a prof. at AU, when I was born in '64. We moved out of Auburn in '70. I had never even heard of bama until I went to school in Hellberta in'73. Only then did I begin to despise all things Bammer!

My great Uncle, cousin, father, mother, sister, wife & best friend all went to Auburn. I was an Auburn fan from a very early age.

Archived