dangerous animals

aumd03

I think its all in the way ANY dog is treated and trained. Dogs aren't aggressive when they get lots of structured exercise and are trained that the "humans" are the leader of the pack.

With the way this pit bull in particular is acting, it makes me wonder if your neighbors are mis-treating this dog or if the dog has been mis-treated in the past. This type of aggression makes me automatically think there is some kind of abuse involved.

I think its all in the way ANY dog is treated and trained. Dogs aren't aggressive when they get lots of structured exercise and are trained that the "humans" are the leader of the pack.

With the way this pit bull in particular is acting, it makes me wonder if your neighbors are mis-treating this dog or if the dog has been mis-treated in the past. This type of aggression makes me automatically think there is some kind of abuse involved.

I agree in part. I think any dog can become mean and aggressive if mistreated and abused. With a chihuahua though....who cares. But some breeds, like the Pit Bull, have a naturally agreesive nature because of various factors. I truly don't believe you have to mistreat some dogs for them to be aggressive. We've got a Bichon and a Pekingese. Both inside dogs and both loved beyond belief. While the Bichon has never bitten anyone, he takes every visit from anyone other than family as an opportunity to act like he's the baddest ass on the planet. The Pekingese on the other hand, uses that as an opportunity to roll over and show you what part of his tummy needs scratchin'. Different breeds, different temperments.

But large breed dogs often need much more structure, esp structured exercise. We have a black lab, and if she goes much more than a day without at least an hour of running she is a pain. She gets into everything, will start being hyper, and I know if she were to go weeks without it--- would be very aggressive, add abuse to that combo and its deadly.

I am just saying that obviously this dog is not well cared for, and I think this dog would probably be like this regardless of breed.

But large breed dogs often need much more structure, esp structured exercise. We have a black lab, and if she goes much more than a day without at least an hour of running she is a pain. She gets into everything, will start being hyper, and I know if she were to go weeks without it--- would be very aggressive, add abuse to that combo and its deadly.

I am just saying that obviously this dog is not well cared for, and I think this dog would probably be like this regardless of breed.

Well, I feel abused and mistreated at home....but I ain't gonna' bite nobody. I may growl a little and show my teeth, but I ain't biting. :big:

Any animal can turn on people. But regardless of abuse, I say it is still a shorter leap from friendly pit bull to deadly pit bull than from friendly lab to deadly lab.

Get a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They're one of the only dogs that can take a pit bull. Then when the pit bull attacks the ridgeback and the ridgeback kills it, problem solved, according to the police since animal attacks don't count.

I have a friend who has a pit and she bit me about two months ago. Granted she was playing, but she bit my leg and drew blood. I had a bruise about the size of a pancake on my thigh for a good two weeks.

Get a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They're one of the only dogs that can take a pit bull. Then when the pit bull attacks the ridgeback and the ridgeback kills it, problem solved, according to the police since animal attacks don't count.

I have a friend who has a pit and she bit me about two months ago. Granted she was playing, but she bit my leg and drew blood. I had a bruise about the size of a pancake on my thigh for a good two weeks.

Yeeesssss! I love Rhodesian Ridgebacks! Or should they be Zimbabwe Ridgebacks?

"Also known as the "African Lion Hound" or "African Lion Dog" (Simba Inja in Ndebele, Shumba Imbwa in Shona) because of their ability to harass a lion and keep it at bay while awaiting their master to make the kill."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Ridgeback

What a badass dog. They're extremely playful too. That might be the dog I purchase here in a few years. Probably gonna break the bank....

I've got a mix of a Ridgeback and a chocolate lab. He lives with my parents since I've been out of the house for a few years now and my mom and him are basically attached at the hip. He's basically a tall lab that's very lean and muscular. He can clear a 6 ft fence and can outrun about anything except a greyhound or whippet. He's the sweetest house dog too. As he's gotten older he's gotten more and more protective, but he's still a great dog. There have been more times than I can count that dogs have provoked him and he's been on top of them in a matter of seconds. The only reason we can think of is because he's got lab hair, as opposed to short Ridgeback hair, that makes the ridge on his back stand much taller than a purebread, and we think that makes other dogs think he's aggressive since it looks like the hair on his back is always bristled. I wish I had some pictures, especially the ones where my mom used to put a Carnell jersey on him for game days.

If I don't apopt a dog when I get one of my own, I'll probably end up getting a Ridgeback.

... I have a friend who has a pit and she bit me about two months ago. Granted she was playing, but she bit my leg and drew blood. I had a bruise about the size of a pancake on my thigh for a good two weeks.

IMHO, I wouldn't call a woman who bites & draws blood a "friend" -- even when playing. End your friendship with her. She's just not worth it. B)

... I have a friend who has a pit and she bit me about two months ago. Granted she was playing, but she bit my leg and drew blood. I had a bruise about the size of a pancake on my thigh for a good two weeks.

IMHO, I wouldn't call a woman who bites & draws blood a "friend" -- even when playing. End your friendship with her. She's just not worth it. B)

If I told you what she did to make it up to me you'd say it was worth it. There's children about, so I'll have to hold my tounge....or hers....errr nevermind

Absolutely ban them. All jokes aside here. As an attorney, I've handled numerous dog bite cases. There's a little known area of the law that applies to dog owners, sometimes called the "One free bite" rule. This means that as a dog owner, you will not be held liable if your dog has shown no previous "Vicious tendencies". In other words, if your dog hasn't attacked anyone before, you have what is perceived to be a legitimate defense if it happens the first time. Once you know it....all bets are off.

However, there are certain breeds of dog, a Pit Bull obviously being at the top of the list, that this rule does not apply to. If you own a Pit Bull and it attacks,(And if they live) just give them the keys to your house, car and all your property because you no longer own any of it. Most insurance companies won't even insure you with one on the premesis. And justifiably so.

Sorry, but these dogs have attacked and killed too many people for too long now. Plenty of other breeds out there to have as a pet. Go rescue one for the humane society.

Dogs are only bad if you make them that way. Pitbulls included. Most of the people that own pitbulls are complete idiots or rednecks. You always here them say yeah I want a pitbull and then when they get one they treat it like **** so they are mean. I promise you if you train your dog right I don't care what breed they will listen and act appropriately. My friends have always told me my dogs were well trained. My dog could be in a dead sprint and if I whistle real loud and tell him to sit he does. It's all about the owner. And any of you who say pitbull can't be trained you are so far from wrong. Sure maybe if you go out and get a full grown one that has been abused this would be a tough task. But any dog you raise from a pup you have the capability of training it the right way. I guarantee you if I had a Pitbull I could train it to be just as obediant as any other dog I have ever had. I have 3 dogs right now and one is part Chow... and those things can get pretty viscious. I know my grandmother had the meanest one ever. But mine is the biggest sissy all he ever wants to do is sit and shake hands with you. Once again like I said if you take a look at most of the people this happens to they are complete idiots.

Absolutely ban them. All jokes aside here. As an attorney, I've handled numerous dog bite cases. There's a little known area of the law that applies to dog owners, sometimes called the "One free bite" rule. This means that as a dog owner, you will not be held liable if your dog has shown no previous "Vicious tendencies". In other words, if your dog hasn't attacked anyone before, you have what is perceived to be a legitimate defense if it happens the first time. Once you know it....all bets are off.

However, there are certain breeds of dog, a Pit Bull obviously being at the top of the list, that this rule does not apply to. If you own a Pit Bull and it attacks,(And if they live) just give them the keys to your house, car and all your property because you no longer own any of it. Most insurance companies won't even insure you with one on the premesis. And justifiably so.

Sorry, but these dogs have attacked and killed too many people for too long now. Plenty of other breeds out there to have as a pet. Go rescue one for the humane society.

Dogs are only bad if you make them that way. Pitbulls included. Most of the people that own pitbulls are complete idiots or rednecks. You always here them say yeah I want a pitbull and then when they get one they treat it like **** so they are mean. I promise you if you train your dog right I don't care what breed they will listen and act appropriately. My friends have always told me my dogs were well trained. My dog could be in a dead sprint and if I whistle real loud and tell him to sit he does. It's all about the owner. And any of you who say pitbull can't be trained you are so far from wrong. Sure maybe if you go out and get a full grown one that has been abused this would be a tough task. But any dog you raise from a pup you have the capability of training it the right way. I guarantee you if I had a Pitbull I could train it to be just as obediant as any other dog I have ever had. I have 3 dogs right now and one is part Chow... and those things can get pretty viscious. I know my grandmother had the meanest one ever. But mine is the biggest sissy all he ever wants to do is sit and shake hands with you. Once again like I said if you take a look at most of the people this happens to they are complete idiots.

The problem is that the majority of the folks out there are not going to be responsible enough to make the extra effort to train a dog right. There's no question certain breeds are more aggressive than others, just as you said in your post about Chows. If you decide to get one of these breeds as your family pet, you should also be responsible enough to realize it and either train the dog the right way or take the precautions to keep it away from other people.

That's what I was trying to say. Also a thought... most dogs really don't get the kind of exercise they really need. Most dogs are much more "trainable" and laid back when they have been able to run around.

Archived