Humor me and answer a question...

Guest Tigrinum Major

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh...now that you've highlighted that little nugget, it'll never get past the filter again.

I'm adding the following:

* Ensure/insure...this is a very subtle one because the words have the same basic meaning.

* Use of non-words like "agreeance" and "conversate."

Heh...now that you've highlighted that little nugget, it'll never get past the filter again.

I'm adding the following:

* Ensure/insure...this is a very subtle one because the words have the same basic meaning.

* Use of non-words like "agreeance" and "conversate."

Actually, Ensure is a vitamin drink for old people. :big:

Here are my additions:

1. Were/Was -- Were is subjunctive case. Was is not. As in "If I was going to the store..."

I find these two very interesting. I work with a lot of folks in the UK and their use of these two words is baffling.

It's not that they use them incorrectly, they use them in a different context than we do. We speak about companies as one entity and they speak in terms of the people.

As in:

We say:

IBM was in charge of our system, but now EDS is.

They say:

IBM were in charge of our system, but now EDS are.

It just sounds so strange....

One that really gets me that my friends use all the time on IM is Yea vs. Yeah. While Yea can technically mean yes, its really not the word they are looking for. That just annoys the heck out of me.

The other mistakes that annoy me are the ones that affect the meaning of the sentence.

Ex. Its/It's, your/you're, there/their/they're and so on. I hate having to go back and read a sentence 2 or 3 times to understand its meaning.

Although I rarely pay attention to it on here, I actually do very well with grammar. However, I really hate English classes because they usually require creative writing and word minimums. I usually like to keep it short and only include whats needed.

One that really gets me that my friends use all the time on IM is Yea vs. Yeah. While Yea can technically mean yes, its really not the word they are looking for. That just annoys the heck out of me.

The other mistakes that annoy me are the ones that affect the meaning of the sentence.

Ex. Its/It's, your/you're, there/their/they're and so on. I hate having to go back and read a sentence 2 or 3 times to understand its meaning.

Although I rarely pay attention to it on here, I actually do very well with grammar. However, I really hate English classes because they usually require creative writing and word minimums. I usually like to keep it short and only include whats needed.

yea, me 2.

yea, me 2.

Dude, go it wrong. It's supposed to be "yea, me to"

That was the occasional misspelled word.

Some people that claim to be graduates of some school in the western part of the state are obviously not aware what an apostrophe is.

;

Here are my additions:

1. Were/Was -- Were is subjunctive case. Was is not. As in "If I was going to the store..."

I find these two very interesting. I work with a lot of folks in the UK and their use of these two words is baffling.

It's not that they use them incorrectly, they use them in a different context than we do. We speak about companies as one entity and they speak in terms of the people.

As in:

We say:

IBM was in charge of our system, but now EDS is.

They say:

IBM were in charge of our system, but now EDS are.

It just sounds so strange....

It's that collective noun thang -- the Brits use a plural verb with it while we use the singular. UK example: The audience were laughing. USA: The audience was laughing. Even though I know the reason why, it still grates on me to hear it.

4. May/Can -- Surely everybody knows the difference between the two.

Of course we do, and don't call me Shirley.

You know, one writer to another, I just don't trust Word's auto-correct feature. Its grammar check is flaky at best.

I don't rely on the default AutoCorrect settings to fix things for me - I have added my most commonly misspelled words to the automatic "Auto-correct" list myself. Really works well.

And I NEVER use their grammar check tool - no way, no how, am I trusting some program designed by a computer engineering nerd to correct MY grammar!!!

And I NEVER use their grammar check tool - no way, no how, am I trusting some program designed by a computer engineering nerd to correct MY grammar!!!

Well, excuuuse me...I'll have you know this 'computer nerd' was once a spelling bee champion.

(Which makes me even more of a nerd, I know, but still...)

I would normally say that I could care less about this kind of thing. But, irregardless of my feelings, TM has a good point.

Since we're on the subject. Irregardless isn't even a word. It is redundant. The suffix “-less” on the end of the word already makes the word negative. Therefore you do not need the "-Ir." REGARDLESS of what you may think, I am right on this one. :big:

I would normally say that I could care less about this kind of thing. But, irregardless of my feelings, TM has a good point.

Since we're on the subject. Irregardless isn't even a word. It is redundant. The suffix “-less” on the end of the word already makes the word negative. Therefore you do not need the "-Ir." REGARDLESS of what you may think, I am right on this one. :big:

While we are at it again to steal one from George Carlin, "pre anything is a meaningless freakin term."

yea, me 2.

Dude, go it wrong. It's supposed to be "yea, me to"

Bama education at its finest. It's supposed to be "too" as in also. This would be the case used in this sentence. As in... I am a ROH TAHD FAN! Yeah, me too!

Bama education at its finest. It's supposed to be "too" as in also. This would be the case used in this sentence. As in... I am a ROH TAHD FAN! Yeah, me too!

Guess humor is lost on you.

I spell and gramar check everything I do outside of this board.

Please tell me that was intentional...... grammar. :P

Man, do I wish this board had auto-correct....

You are taking this way too seriously. That was a joke, man.

BTW, I saw Esquire's statement too, but since I apparently know him better than you, I did not touch it. I guarantee he knows better, and I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that Esquire's use of irregardless was deliberate to see who would bite at it - and ding ding ding! We have a winner!!

Why do I get the feeling that this thread was aimed squarely at me?

Irregardless of that David you shouldn't feal like everyone is out to get you.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Why do I get the feeling that this thread was aimed squarely at me?

I swear it wasn't. I know your large mitts keep you from a mistake free typing experience.

Archived