Anti-God Starbucks Cup

I know I am a holdout, but for some strange reason, I only like coffee flavored coffee.

AMEN, brother.

Well, personally I think it's a bit arrogant to say "Thanks for your $5. Now let me trash your religious views. Why do you pray, you halfwit?"

Basically, does the customer get to choose the coffee container he/she gets? I'm not inclined to kneejerk tirades, but handing someone a steaming cup of joe that mocks people's convictions is a bit much.

That's why it's bad form to bring up religion or politics in otherwise neutral settings. Somebody's bound to get their noses out of joint.

"I wouldn't mind seeing the rebuttal to that cup mentioned, though, that read, "If you live as though there is a God and there isn't... what have you lost? If you live as though there isn't a God and there is... what have you lost?" Don't remember who wrote that but I learned it in Philosophy at AUM."

That's Pascal's Wager. More on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

"I wouldn't mind seeing the rebuttal to that cup mentioned, though, that read, "If you live as though there is a God and there isn't... what have you lost? If you live as though there isn't a God and there is... what have you lost?" Don't remember who wrote that but I learned it in Philosophy at AUM."

That's Pascal's Wager. More on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

Thanks. I wanted to call it the Wagerer's Theory, but that just didn't sound right to me. And, now that you posted that I do remember Pascal. Kudos to Dr. Barfoot for getting something to stick.

I wouldn't mind seeing the rebuttal to that cup mentioned, though, that read, "If you live as though there is a God and there isn't... what have you lost? If you live as though there isn't a God and there is... what have you lost?" Don't remember who wrote that but I learned it in Philosophy at AUM.

You're thinking of Blaise Pascal, a French Mathematician. The concept is Pascals Wager. Here's a quote from the article with the basic principle although the entire article is interesting and goes into more detail:

In his Wager, Pascal provides an analytical process for a person to evaluate options in regarding belief in God. As Pascal sets it out, the options are two: believe or not believe. There is no third possibility.

Therefore, we are faced with the following possibilities:

* You believe in God.

o If God exists, you go to heaven: your gain is infinite.

o If God does not exist, your loss is nothing.

* You do not believe in God.

o If God exists, you go to hell: your loss is infinite.

o If God does not exist, you gain nothing & lose nothing.

With these possibilities, and the principles of statistics, Pascal has demonstrated that the only prudent course of action is to believe in God. It is a simple application of game theory (to which Pascal had made important contributions).

AFA Starbucks is concerned: too expensive, not that good. I don't understand the popularity. But my wife loves it.

Edit: I took too long to make that post. Looks like other folks posted the reference first.

I wouldn't mind seeing the rebuttal to that cup mentioned, though, that read, "If you live as though there is a God and there isn't... what have you lost? If you live as though there isn't a God and there is... what have you lost?" Don't remember who wrote that but I learned it in Philosophy at AUM.

You're thinking of Blaise Pascal, a French Mathematician. The concept is Pascals Wager. Here's a quote from the article with the basic principle although the entire article is interesting and goes into more detail:

In his Wager, Pascal provides an analytical process for a person to evaluate options in regarding belief in God. As Pascal sets it out, the options are two: believe or not believe. There is no third possibility.

Therefore, we are faced with the following possibilities:

* You believe in God.

o If God exists, you go to heaven: your gain is infinite.

o If God does not exist, your loss is nothing.

* You do not believe in God.

o If God exists, you go to hell: your loss is infinite.

o If God does not exist, you gain nothing & lose nothing.

With these possibilities, and the principles of statistics, Pascal has demonstrated that the only prudent course of action is to believe in God. It is a simple application of game theory (to which Pascal had made important contributions).

AFA Starbucks is concerned: too expensive, not that good. I don't understand the popularity. But my wife loves it.

Edit: I took too long to make that post. Looks like other folks posted the reference first.

Hey, what can we say? We're a smart bunch of guys here on AUNation. I bet you won't see French Enlightenment philosophers bandied about on the Alabama message boards.

You know what is funny. Many Anti-Establishment types (not everyone) who like to trash starbucks and its drinkers...have become the "cool" mainstream.

A lot of people who don't like starbucks are trying to go out of their way to say "hey im not part of this clique"...when in essence, they are a part of the growing number of people who are labeled "cool" because they are too good for starbucks.

It's kind of like this friend I have. He tries so hard to look like he has "no image" and doesnt care. But really that is his image. His clothing and overall look may give off the vibe of "not caring", but its intentionally placed that way. So that means he does care...right?

You know what is funny. Many Anti-Establishment types (not everyone) who like to trash starbucks and its drinkers...have become the "cool" mainstream.

A lot of people who don't like starbucks are trying to go out of their way to say "hey im not part of this clique"...when in essence, they are a part of the growing number of people who are labeled "cool" because they are too good for starbucks.

It's kind of like this friend I have. He tries so hard to look like he has "no image" and doesnt care. But really that is his image. His clothing and overall look may give off the vibe of "not caring", but its intentionally placed that way. So that means he does care...right?

I see it all the time with my wife's students. HS student are the epitome of this. It's sort of what the "grunge" movement became, or goth.

I have never really liked Starbucks, though. I do like Joe Muggs. I drink a "yuppie" coffee (if you will) with my Tully's made in my Keurig One-Cup. :big: Tully's is another Seattle based coffee company that calls itself "pedigreed." My whole joke about it bing "cool" was about the lingo when ordering a coffee. I like just coffee with a little bit of sugar. Nothing more.

Just give me my complimentary cup of black coffee in a plain white cup and the Good Book, leave me alone and I'll leave you alone.

Just give me my complimentary cup of black coffee in a plain white cup and the Good Book, leave me alone and I'll leave you alone.

Why do you expect a handout?

If you get free coffee, you can't dictate the terms of the cup!!! B)

The problem with my church's coffee is that it tastes like lake water. Maybe if Starbucks would give a volume discount to churches...hmmm.....

To add to Bg's point...This is from female writers on women's magazines.

What Women Want Their Men to Wear

1. I prefer a man's legs in:

A. Chinos 6.5%

B. Levi's 80.6%

C. Suit pants 9.7%

D. Board shorts 3.2%

2. The most flattering color a man can wear is:

A. Blue 41.9%

B. Green 3.2%

C. Pink 12.9%

D. Whatever matches his eyes 35.5%

3. The sexiest thing a man can wear is:

A. A tuxedo 22.6%

B. Rugged jeans and a plain white T-shirt 67.7%

C. Those Marky Mark boxer-briefs 6.5%

D. A pair of tiny Italian swim trunks 3.2%

4. I like it when he smells like:

A. Nothing 58.1%

B. A sweaty fireman 6.5%

C. Citrusy cologne 16%

D. Scotch 19.4%

5. If I could change one thing about my man's style, it would be:

A. I'd make him spend more than fifteen bucks on a haircut 25.8%

B. I'd teach him the subtleties of wearing or not wearing cologne 3.2%

C. I'd give away his double-pleated pants and buy him flat fronts 35.5%

D. His shoes. Oh, my God, his shoes. 25.8%

6. When I see a guy in sandals, I think:

A. A simple flip-flop will do 61.3%

B. He's coming nowhere near my uterus 6.5%

C. He has sexy toes. I want to see 'em. 6.5%

D. Sandals haven't looked sexy on a man since they were worn by the Son of God 25.7% :roflol:

7. My favorite thing to borrow from my man is:

A. His worn-out button-down shirt 45.2%

B. His underwear 6.5%

C. His robe 12.9%

D. His State U. sweatshirt 32.3%

8. The most common male fashion crime I witness on a regular basis is:

A. Athletic socks worn with dress shoes 25.8%

B. Pants that are too short 32.3%

C. Grossly miscalculated uses of pattern 12.9%

D. A suit that's way too big 25.8%

9. A man who dresses better than me:

A. Would probably use all my expensive hair products 12.9%

B. Is my hero 16.1%

C. Yeah, right. Do you know who you're talking to? 19.4%

D. Is generally not interested in dating my gender 51.6%

10. My man looks best in:

A. Sneakers 35.5%

B. Boots 32.3%

C. Suede bucks 6.5%

D. A shiny pair of dress shoes 19.4%

11. I like it best when he comes to bed wearing:

A. Those flannel pajamas with the big buttons 3.2%

B. Just boxers 67.7%

C. Just socks 0%

D. Nothing at all 29%

12. I like his jeans to fit:

A. Like John Travolta's in Urban Cowboy 3.2%

B. Like Brad Pitt's in Thelma and Louise 83.9%

C. Like Jay-Z's onstage 3.2%

D. Like Huck Finn's in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn 3.2%

13. The acceptable dollar amount for a man to spend on a haircut is:

A. $15 29%

B. $50 41.9% :o

C. $100 22.6%

D. $0; I'm good with a pair of shears 6.5%

14. My favorite kind of suit on a man is a:

A. Two-button 32.3%

B. Three-button 51.6% :thumbsup:

C. Double-breasted 9.7%

D. Sailor's suit 3.2%

15. My favorite type of men's shirt is:

A. A dress shirt with French cuffs 41.9%

B. A knit, short-sleeved polo shirt 12.9%

C. A plain white tee 42%

D. A taut, ribbed tank top that shows off his guns 3.2%

16. My favorite pattern for a man's tie is:

A. Paisley 6.5%

B. Collegiate stripe 16.1%

C. Plain, with texture 71%

D. The ones with all those cute little sailboats on 'em 3.2%

17. My favorite man in uniform is:

A. Naval officer 35.5% :thumbsup:

B. Policeman 9.7%

C. Fireman 51.6%

D. My UPS guy 3.2%

18. If my man asked me to pick one style icon for him to emulate, I would pick:

A. Johnny Depp 25.8%

B. George Clooney 61.3%

C. Tom Wolfe 0%

D. Kanye West 9.7%

19. An average man becomes instantly bed-worthy when:

A. He displays finely manicured hands 6.5%

B. He wears an impeccably detailed dress shirt 22.6%

C. He dons a tuxedo 29%

D. He just doesn't give a damn 32.3% For your point BG.

20. A man should dress for:

A. His mom 0%

B. His boss 3.2%

C. Me 35.5%

D. Himself 61.3%

Most Disturbing Advice on Jeans:

"Above all, you've got to buy your jeans tight, guys, knowing they'll stretch. Jeans that are too big are, in my opinion, men's number-one fashion mistake." -Lauren Gard, Marie Claire

Most Welcome Advice on Scent:

"All men have their own scent-whether it be cigarettes and river water or the Old Spice aftershave that his mom buys him-and if they're sexy, then their smell is sexy." -Polly Brewster, O

Thanks. I wanted to call it the Wagerer's Theory, but that just didn't sound right to me. And, now that you posted that I do remember Pascal. Kudos to Dr. Barfoot for getting something to stick.

Ah. Pascal's Wager. I have a question about that.

God is all knowing right? What if I just can't believe in my heart that he exists.

I can go to church, claim to be a christian, say I believe in god. But what if you really deep down just don't believe it? Wouldn't he know? So whats the point?

Also it isn't either you are right or wrong, if you believe in him you have nothing to lose. What about Muslims and Buddhists, etc. Its not like if you believe in the christian god you are either going to heaven, or no where. There are other options and you could still be wrong.

EDIT: actually i just read the link on wikipedia and some of the criticisms i had are explained better than i could do it. I just don't see how this theory holds any water.

i don't know, for me faith is very personal and the idea that people get offended by a coffee cup shows me that they are either

a. not as comfotble with their own faith that they see every other viewpoint as a threat. or

b. really really bored

Ah. Pascal's Wager. I have a question about that.

God is all knowing right? What if I just can't believe in my heart that he exists.

I can go to church, claim to be a christian, say I believe in god. But what if you really deep down just don't believe it? Wouldn't he know? So whats the point?

Also it isn't either you are right or wrong, if you believe in him you have nothing to lose. What about Muslims and Buddhists, etc. Its not like if you believe in the christian god you are either going to heaven, or no where. There are other options and you could still be wrong.

EDIT: actually i just read the link on wikipedia and some of the criticisms i had are explained better than i could do it. I just don't see how this theory holds any water.

I am not saying that this is an absolute. I was simply talking about a coffee cup comment.

You are right, if it is not in your heart, then you truly don't believe. And, yes, God knows. There is more to true belief and faith than going through the motions. The Bible states (James 2:26) that having "faith" but doing nothing with it is not the way. It is equally true that works without faith will not get you into Heaven, either.

Liberally speaking I should get my handout and I should get to complain about the handout as well. It's called welfare is'nt it? I figured i would just join the rest of the bums. :)

Why do you expect a handout?

If you get free coffee, you can't dictate the terms of the cup!!! B)

Archived