My thoughts on next year...

So in summation.....

UAT's offense will score >298 points

and

UAT's defense will give up >250 points

Give or take, yeah. Some of those 250 came from special teams and defensive TDs.

And 21 of our points last year came from special teams and defensive TDs.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So in summation.....

UAT's offense will score >298 points

and

UAT's defense will give up >250 points

Give or take, yeah. Some of those 250 came from special teams and defensive TDs.

And 21 of our points last year came from special teams and defensive TDs.

i didn't get to see the a-day game, so i had a question....i heard the playcalling selections were pretty good and well timed. did we run alot of the same plays at different times or how did the offense workout? i doubt they put everything out there so everyone can't get it on tape, but how good did you feel about the playcalling and what does your intuition tell you about the tone of the offense judging by the a-day game? or was there really enough there to tell anything?

i didn't get to see the a-day game, so i had a question....i heard the playcalling selections were pretty good and well timed. did we run alot of the same plays at different times or how did the offense workout? i doubt they put everything out there so everyone can't get it on tape, but how good did you feel about the playcalling and what does your intuition tell you about the tone of the offense judging by the a-day game? or was there really enough there to tell anything?

It was obvious that the whole playbook wasn't out there. I was just happy with the change of pace from Shula's offense. Shula was run run and then have to chuck it on 3rd and 13. He never threw screens and he never ran any counters or misdirections. They probably showed about 30% of the playbook. But it was still enough to keep the playcalling fresh.

JPW looked sharp, but Terry Grant stole the show. He looked great. When the 2s were out there, the right side of the oline looked pretty rough.

Completing 18 of 36 passes is considered sharp?

It sure is, when it's practice. And you are working out situational stuff and not trying to "win the game".

You also have to remember, our QB throws downfield...not just to the flats.

It sure is, when it's practice. And you are working out situational stuff and not trying to "win the game".

You also have to remember, our QB throws downfield...not just to the flats.

our qb just beats you. does it matter how?

our qb was too busy compiling 20 wins in two years to worry about where the majority of his passes went, BUT for the record, our qb put up 2400 yards and 15 touchdowns as a sophomore along with 2100 yards and 14 tds as a junior. that's not a far cry from johnny walker's 2700/17 split from last year considering brandon put up his numbers while managing a running game AND actually winning games.

and to jump back just a bit, arkansas is going to beat bama again this year; they'll run for at least 250 yards. at least. AND bama may be a better team in terms of execution, but i don't think they'll be much better as a total product. the defense is going to fall back; the offense MIGHT spring forward (you still don't have a running back that could start for anyone in the west except maybe msu). i honestly don't expect bama to do anything spectacular (beating to anyone good or losing to anyone bad) next year. the talent isn't there to shock folks, the coaching should guard against the losses. 8 wins, including the independence bowl.

oh and for the record:

arkansas has two backs better than anyone at bama (mcfadden and jones)

auburn has at least two better possibly three (lester and tate... fannin is unknown)

ole miss has one better (green-ellis)

lsu has an fairly unknown back who still looked better than anything bama's trotting out there (williams)

i don't know who will start at msu.

Man you are like a broken record. All you do is poor mouth Bama. It's so tired.

Again, I ask...If Arkansas BARELY beat us in OT after our kicker missed 4 kicks...why do you automatically place them in the "They'll beat Bama" category? Arkansas has sustained more losses in terms of personnel, Alabama has more talent at the skill positions, save running back, Arkansas has no QB, and it is pretty hard to argue against common logic seeing Bama as a better team this year than last.

So please tell me, besides the fact that you hate Alabama...what makes you think Arkansas will be better? Is it their question marks at QB? Oh oh, I know, it must be losing 3 starters on the Oline. Maybe it's losing their two best players on defense. Quck, name 2 receivers who play for Arkansas.

You think we go 7-5 in the regular season. And I think you are setting yourself up for a pretty big letdown.

Man you are like a broken record. All you do is poor mouth Bama. It's so tired.

Again, I ask...If Arkansas BARELY beat us in OT after our kicker missed 4 kicks...why do you automatically place them in the "They'll beat Bama" category? Arkansas has sustained more losses in terms of personnel, Alabama has more talent at the skill positions, save running back, Arkansas has no QB, and it is pretty hard to argue against common logic seeing Bama as a better team this year than last.

So please tell me, besides the fact that you hate Alabama...what makes you think Arkansas will be better? Is it their question marks at QB? Oh oh, I know, it must be losing 3 starters on the Oline. Maybe it's losing their two best players on defense. Quck, name 2 receivers who play for Arkansas.

You think we go 7-5 in the regular season. And I think you are setting yourself up for a pretty big letdown.

You are a broken record yourself BG. You said the same thing last year after that 10 win season, and it was you that was in for a HUGE LET DOWN. You should know better by now. arky will be better without a QB because of the two headed monster at running back. Nobody can stop either of these guys. Just because uat "MAY" be a better team than their 2006 squad doesn't necessarily mean it will translate in to more wins. I don't think uat will go 7-5 myself. I would go with a second consecutive 6-6 campaign myself. Whether you admit it or not, uat is way behind Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, and Auburn from a talent standpoint and probably about even with Arkansas. uat plays 4 of those teams above and will likely lose to all 4. Add to that the losses to Arkansas, and to FSU and there are your 6 losses. Throw in the vanderbilt game and uat could very easily finish 5-7....I could see it...

You are a broken record yourself BG. You said the same thing last year after that 10 win season, and it was you that was in for a HUGE LET DOWN. You should know better by now. arky will be better without a QB because of the two headed monster at running back. Nobody can stop either of these guys. Just because uat "MAY" be a better team than their 2006 squad doesn't necessarily mean it will translate in to more wins. I don't think uat will go 7-5 myself. I would go with a second consecutive 6-6 campaign myself. Whether you admit it or not, uat is way behind Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, and Auburn from a talent standpoint and probably about even with Arkansas. uat plays 4 of those teams above and will likely lose to all 4. Add to that the losses to Arkansas, and to FSU and there are your 6 losses. Throw in the vanderbilt game and uat could very easily finish 5-7....I could see it...

It's not like you auburn fans have some magic crystal ball. You say we are going to suck every year. We just happened to have a bad year last year. But you guys also said we'd suck in 05. (I know, I know there were a handfull here who said we'd have a decent year). But just because you guys are incredibly biased, and say we are going to lose 6-7 games a year...every year...doesn't mean you are incredibly insightful when we do have an off season.

And if we are WAY behind Auburn, why did it take you intercepting a pass on the would be game tying drive LATE in the 4th Quarter last year? Why did we lead UT until the last few minutes of the game last season? Why were we leading UF at UF going into the 4th Quarter? This is all with a coach who didn't know what he was doing, who DIDNT make his players lift weights, and who DIDN'T know how to win in the 4th Quarter. I know, I know, you guys like to sit around in your "we hate Alabama" parties and talk about how terrible a coach Saban is. But no one else is buying it.

Our problems last year weren't for lack of talent. They were for lack of coaching. We don't have as MUCH talent as those other teams, but we aren't THAT far behind.

And VANDERBILT? Really? You guys pick us to lose to them and Southern Miss every season. You've been wrong every single year. If Vandy couldn't beat us last year...when we were awful against the weak teams...what makes you think they are going to do it this year? Did they all of the sudden get a bunch of Blue Chippers? No...you are just saying that because you like the sound of it.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't put money on a 6-6 regular season. Damn sure wouldn't do it on a 5-7 season.

okay bg, to answer your questions. i'm not a total homer on this one. i think you're over-valuing the quality of a close loss. bama lost a close game to auburn in 2004, but are you honestly going to argue that those teams "weren't far apart"? really? bama fans, for whatever reason, seem to cling to the value of losing close as much or more than any fans i know (plus you failed to mention how you needed a late int to put hawaii away, ecked one out against vandy, and beat ole miss in OT... so i guess you're not far from them either since it works both ways right?). look at the season as a whole, that's what you are. was arkansas much much better than auburn b/c they beat the hell out of us one saturday? no. but looking at the season, they were a consistent team that pulled one major upset; auburn was an inconsistent team capable of beating any and every team in the country. that's what the season tells us... doesn't matter how close we won or lost.

as for next year, i don't see the talent that bama fans see and i certainly don't see the depth necessary to thrive in the sec. (if it makes you feel better, i think auburn has the thinnest linebacking corp in the conference. they scare me. so that's a negative auburn observation.) bama has a solid qb, good receivers, and an improving line. they have no running game (and haven't had a running game that scared people for years no matter what numbers darby put up... bama has been an average at best running team for a while), and you're a team that's won based solely on the quality of the defense (extremely high)... except you're losing most of those players.

and it's not like i'm the only one who sees this. cfn.com puts bama 41st in it's spring previews (arkansas checks in at 8th). espn.com picks bama to finish 4th in the west. nationalchamps.net has bama at 36th (arkansas at 12th). athlon also left bama out of its top 25. everyone sees what i see... an unspectacular team heading for a decent year.

i just don't see where the improvement is coming from: jimmy johns or tiny terry grant? please. better defense? you finished in the top 15 in total defense in each of the last 3 years (maybe 4? and i think you were top 5 two years in a row). it's not getting better. i actually think there will be a step back as the players adjust to a new, more complex scheme.

plus it's a line that lacks experience (one returning starter), explosiveness (gilberry's 3 sacks last year is the leading return), and size (biggest starter listed under 290). that's going to put lots of pressure on the secondary to be great (castille is, the others aren't). although, i will say: prince hall is a star. that kid's great. no joke, i think he's the best soph. linebacker in the conference, and if he hadn't already put on a bama jersey, i'd want him at auburn.

given all that, i do think the coaching will be better. i don't think you'll see the major letdowns (msu anyone?) that you saw last year. i just don't see the killer defense that bama hasn't lacked for the last few years, and i don't see an offense with any room for error. you have a good passing game. if it doesn't show up and produce, every singe week, you're beat. that's a tall order in the sec.

bama's going 8-5 this year. too well coached to do worse; too mediocre to do better. i believe you're on the uptick though, which is going to make the next few years of iron bowl victories even more satisfying.

i forgot to add: marcus monk, the conference's best receiver, (for the record, i don't think he's the best pro prospect, but i do believe he's the toughest matchup and will match almost anyone else's productivity) and robert johnson, the former quarterback. those are the only receivers i know.

It's not like you auburn fans have some magic crystal ball. You say we are going to suck every year. We just happened to have a bad year last year. But you guys also said we'd suck in 05. (I know, I know there were a handfull here who said we'd have a decent year). But just because you guys are incredibly biased, and say we are going to lose 6-7 games a year...every year...doesn't mean you are incredibly insightful when we do have an off season.

nah, they're just right 66.7% of the time over the last 15 or so.

And if we are WAY behind Auburn, why did it take you intercepting a pass on the would be game tying drive LATE in the 4th Quarter last year?

:lmao:

Why did we lead UT until the last few minutes of the game last season? Why were we leading UF at UF going into the 4th Quarter? This is all with a coach who didn't know what he was doing, who DIDNT make his players lift weights, and who DIDN'T know how to win in the 4th Quarter.

:lmao: :lmao:

I know, I know, you guys like to sit around in your "we hate Alabama" parties and talk about how terrible a coach Saban is. But no one else is buying it.

No, because they're taking it for free. BG, nobody's as impressed with Saban as you guys are.

Our problems last year weren't for lack of talent. They were for lack of coaching. We don't have as MUCH talent as those other teams, but we aren't THAT far behind.

:roflol:

You're trying too hard. Worry is showing.

Archived