04' AU team getting some love from Richt

WAR-MATT

The "B" game you guys brought to Bama had nothing to do with it...

Not having a playoff and finding out a true champion did.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

regardless of who would have played the final that year, USC would have won... I dont see injustice when it comes to the champion for that year as much it's injustice to be given the chance... I think AU is better off winning a bowl game that year instead of losing THE major bowl ..

regardless of who would have played the final that year, USC would have won... I dont see injustice when it comes to the champion for that year as much it's injustice to be given the chance... I think AU is better off winning a bowl game that year instead of losing THE major bowl ..

I think we would have beaten USC.......but we will never know.

What proof do you have that USC would have beaten AU???? Don't forget that USC almost lost to UCLA and Stanford that year. Just cause they played an overated OU in the bowl game doesn't mean they were unbeatable.

I defintely think it would have taken a super effort for a victory, but every time we were truly tested (ie UGA), out boys came out with some serious firepower. It would have been fun to watch for sure...oh well.

What proof do you have that USC would have beaten AU???? Don't forget that USC almost lost to UCLA and Stanford that year. Just cause they played an overated OU in the bowl game doesn't mean they were unbeatable.

I defintely think it would have taken a super effort for a victory, but every time we were truly tested (ie UGA), out boys came out with some serious firepower. It would have been fun to watch for sure...oh well.

I m not trying to talk smack or anything but i think the more distant the game gets, the more speculation people have... I remember in 04 that every sports commentator including SEC guys saying that USC was the most dominant team in the league... I even recall Auburn fans saying the same thing and the only issue was that Auburn would have given USC a more competitive game than the Sooners flops...

I did not bookmark or save these comments and conversations at the time because i could care less about either of the three teams.. but one thing that i remember more than anything else out of 04 was the fact that USC would have won no matter what.. (at least to everyone's expectations who do not live 50 miles within Auburn)

regardless of who would have played the final that year, USC would have won... I..

much like Ohio State was better than any other team this year. got it.

Guest Tigrinum Major

You're so full of crap.

The experts all thought Oklahoma would beat USC, so to say that USC would have beaten Auburn is ludicrous. You don't know, I don't know, no one on this Earth knows what would have transpired. To say something so definitively is stupid, ignorant, and an indication that you have no concept of reality.

Oh, wait, you're an Alabama fan.

Carry on.

You're so full of crap.

The experts all thought Oklahoma would beat USC, so to say that USC would have beaten Auburn is ludicrous. You don't know, I don't know, no one on this Earth knows what would have transpired. To say something so definitively is stupid, ignorant, and an indication that you have no concept of reality.

Oh, wait, you're an Alabama fan.

Carry on.

Agree big time. Oklahoma in 04 was just as overrated as Oklahoma in 03 when they played LSwho. Never should have been in that game either.

USC was a good team in 04. Maybe they would have won. But Auburn stood a pretty damn good chance to win it too. Most people predicted that we would lose to LSwho in 04, and lose to Tennessee that year too. Didn't quite happen did it?

No one can deny that Auburn 04 was the most dominant team in the SEC in the last 6 or 7 years, and no one can deny that team deserved to be in the big game. You know damn well that team deserved to be there and play for a championship.

Ryan

AU could have played 3 Top 10 teams as their OOC schedule and still been #3 in the rankings come the end of the year.

USC/OU were the two teams pegged 1-2 since the preseason and many reports/media members love to keep putting their Top 2 teams since the pre-season as a way to show off that they were right in the pre-season.

As for who would have won between USC/AU in the NC game....I am sure it would have been close but man....USC looked unstoppable that night

I m not trying to talk smack or anything but i think the more distant the game gets, the more speculation people have... I remember in 04 that every sports commentator including SEC guys saying that USC was the most dominant team in the league... I even recall Auburn fans saying the same thing and the only issue was that Auburn would have given USC a more competitive game than the Sooners flops...

I did not bookmark or save these comments and conversations at the time because i could care less about either of the three teams.. but one thing that i remember more than anything else out of 04 was the fact that USC would have won no matter what.. (at least to everyone's expectations who do not live 50 miles within Auburn)

Sure, always preface smack talk by claiming that you're not trying to talk smack. Classic Jim Rome tactic there. Nevertheless, I'll get straight to the point.

You're a Bama fan. You have zero credibility when it comes to a national championship debate. If USC, Oklahoma, LSU, Texas, Miami, Ohio State fans, etc. want to chime in on national championship talk, then I'll listen. Bama fans can worry about their own pathetic 6-7 team, their rightful place as the 4th best team in the SEC West, and their new 32 mil man who is supposed to be Christ returned to earth. Bama fans lecturing Auburn fans on national titles is absolutely hilarious.

So here's your logic, if I understand you correctly. USC would have beaten Auburn in '04. Reason: All the sports anchors at ESPN, Paul Finebaum, and some idiot Auburn fans said so. Perfect logic there. Your analytical reasoning abilities amaze me.

The same ESPN anchors who said that Miami would blow out Bama back in '92? The same ESPN anchors who said that Miami would throttle Ohio State in 2002? The same sports anchors who claimed that Ohio State would run circles around Florida last year? The same anchors who said that FSU would destroy Oklahoma back in 2000? Or, the same experts who said that the same SC team that was "so much better than Auburn" would lose to Oklahoma? Should I go on? I think you get my drift, even if you have the thought process of a typical Bama fan.

All the Auburn fans who say USC would have won are idiots, every last one of them. Great confidence in your team there. A team that was top ten in defense, top ten in offense, great special teams, four first round draft picks, and an undefeated team in the toughest conference in America.

According to these losers, that same Auburn team would have lost to the same USC team that was down by 14 in the 4th quarter to Stanford. The same SC team that went wire to wire with a pathetic UCLA team? Okay, SC ran circles around a pathetic OU defense that gave up a combined total of 80 points in their final 2 regular season games. So what? I'm supposed to be impressed by a good offense scoring tons of points against a pathetic defense?

Auburn was top ten in defense. SC was not. The last time I checked, defense wins championships.

Spare me the argument that SC beat Auburn the previous two years. Georgia beat us bad in 2003, score 26-7. Based on your logic, Auburn would have lost to Georgia the next year. The only problem is we spanked the Dawgs 24-6. Every year is different. Every team is different from year to year.

With that being said, I don't know who would have won and quite frankly, I don't care. It's a tired debate. A tired argument.

I don't recognize national championships in college football anyway so it doesn't bother me that Auburn wasn't recognized as Champs back in '04. The way championships are determined in college football is a complete and utter joke.

It's no different than figure skating. No different than gymnastics. You have championships awarded based on opinion polls from judges who aren't even affiliated with the sport.

Am I gonna feel good about my team because some 400 lb. overweight fat a** journalist in Oregon thinks that Auburn is #1 or 2? Please. I could care less.

Just don't come in here with your pre disposed Bammer crap and try to tell me that SC would have won a hypothetical game against Auburn, when most of the evidence is to the contrary. Sure, they could have won. Then again, Auburn could have won. Unfortunately, we'll never know so let's just leave it at that.

Auburn had too impressive a resume in 2004 for anyone to suggest that SC would have won, "no matter what."

As for who would have won between USC/AU in the NC game....I am sure it would have been close but man....USC looked unstoppable that night

It's easy to look unstoppable when you're competition is a pathetic OU defense.

In the 4th quarter, the OU players were begging USC to run the ball and the clock out to avoid further embarassment. OU quit in that game, end of story.

I also don't think the 04 AU team would have given the ball up every other play like Oklahoma did. It wasn't so much domination on USC's part as it was starting a bunch of drives on the Oklahoma side of the field after a turnover.

Actually, i did not want to reveal this but you guys forced me to ..i have a crystal bowl that told me that the score would've been - USC (36 ) - AU (28) it happens in the 4th Qt with 1:13 to go with both teams tied at 28 but USC sacks JC and a defender takes the ball to the endzone. However, instead of USC kicking the ball for one they actually go for two just for the heck of it....

Of course i dont know for a fact what would have happened. Maybe Auburn could have won but again it was almost uniform that USC was the team to beat that year.. that was not the case this year.. but I guess to simplify things for those who attacked me.. if I was in Vegas i would not put my money on Auburn.. "kabeesh..??" -

but I guess there's no use arguing that so I will concede with all of you and YES, Auburn would have beaten USC till Pete Carroll comes out crying.. actually, it would also been coincided that year that they will let the NCAA winner (Auburn of course) play in the Superbowl and guess what.. they beat Tom Brady and the New England Patriots 51-3 with Jason Campell and Ronnie Brown on the sideline while CTT decides to take a vacation and not coach that game and delegates everything to ALborg, Algore "or whatever his name is"... Meanwhile the Sooners claim the People's national championship after they receive the complete unanimous votes of everyone on this planet including the penguins in Antarctica...

So there you go.. that's actually the more reasonable scenario... Congratulations Auburn 2004 NCAA and Superbowl winners..!!! yay

Actually, i did not want to reveal this but you guys forced me to ..i have a crystal bowl that told me that the score would've been - USC (36 ) - AU (28) it happens in the 4th Qt with 1:13 to go with both teams tied at 28 but USC sacks JC and a defender takes the ball to the endzone. However, instead of USC kicking the ball for one they actually go for two just for the heck of it....

Of course i dont know for a fact what would have happened. Maybe Auburn could have won but again it was almost uniform that USC was the team to beat that year.. that was not the case this year.. but I guess to simplify things for those who attacked me.. if I was in Vegas i would not put my money on Auburn.. "kabeesh..??" -

but I guess there's no use arguing that so I will concede with all of you and YES, Auburn would have beaten USC till Pete Carroll comes out crying.. actually, it would also been coincided that year that they will let the NCAA winner (Auburn of course) play in the Superbowl and guess what.. they beat Tom Brady and the New England Patriots 51-3 with Jason Campell and Ronnie Brown on the sideline while CTT decides to take a vacation and not coach that game and delegates everything to ALborg, Algore "or whatever his name is"... Meanwhile the Sooners claim the People's national championship after they receive the complete unanimous votes of everyone on this planet including the penguins in Antarctica...

So there you go.. that's actually the more reasonable scenario... Congratulations Auburn 2004 NCAA and Superbowl winners..!!! yay

Just as Ohio State was this year.......... So what's your point?

Thanks Jeddah, we'll put that trophy in our case to match the one you guys are giving to $aban for the 2008-2012 Super Bowls. Is it true that his body has already been cast to stand in the empty spot on the Walk of Champions? Will he be wearing the gray vest thingie?

Mark Richt is one of the better coaches in the country and one who is very familiar with Auburn, the SEC and playing in the big time. His opinion is that AU was the best team in 04'. I'll take his opinion over every ESPN analyst out there.

USC/OU were the two teams pegged 1-2 since the preseason and many reports/media members love to keep putting their Top 2 teams since the pre-season as a way to show off that they were right in the pre-season.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner...that's the unvarnished truth in one sentence.

Actually, i did not want to reveal this but you guys forced me to ..i have a crystal bowl :roflol: that told me that the score would've been - USC (36 ) - AU (28) it happens in the 4th Qt with 1:13 to go with both teams tied at 28 but USC sacks JC and a defender takes the ball to the endzone. However, instead of USC kicking the ball for one they actually go for two just for the heck of it....

Of course i dont know for a fact what would have happened. Maybe Auburn could have won but again it was almost uniform that USC was the team to beat that year.. that was not the case this year.. but I guess to simplify things for those who attacked me.. if I was in Vegas i would not put my money on Auburn.. "kabeesh..??" :roflol:

but I guess there's no use arguing that so I will concede with all of you and YES, Auburn would have beaten USC till Pete Carroll comes out crying.. actually, it would also been coincided that year that they will let the NCAA winner (Auburn of course) play in the Superbowl and guess what.. they beat Tom Brady and the New England Patriots 51-3 with Jason Campell and Ronnie Brown on the sideline while CTT decides to take a vacation and not coach that game and delegates everything to ALborg, Algore "or whatever his name is"... Meanwhile the Sooners claim the People's national championship after they receive the complete unanimous votes of everyone on this planet including the penguins in Antarctica... :thumbsdown:

So there you go.. that's actually the more reasonable scenario... Congratulations Auburn 2004 NCAA and Superbowl winners..!!! yay :rolleyes:

Mark Richt is one of the better coaches in the country and one who is very familiar with Auburn, the SEC and playing in the big time. His opinion is that AU was the best team in 04'. I'll take his opinion over every ESPN analyst out there.

:cheer:

AJC

Georgia coach Mark Richt believes that number of national championship coaches should be five.

"Tuberville should have won one when he went undefeated," Richt said, referring to Tommy Tuberville's 2004 Auburn Tigers, who went 13-0 but were shut out of the BCS championship game.

Yet their overall record was stronger than OU and USC both.

Idiot.

Guest Tigrinum Major

but I guess there's no use arguing that so I will concede with all of you and YES, Auburn would have beaten USC till Pete Carroll comes out crying..

Reading comprehension is a basis skill that you apparentll lack.

I never said Auburn would have won. I simply said that you cannot say definitely that USC would have beaten them.

The PNC WAS conducted by highly scientific methods, if I recall correctly!

1133305172_l.jpg

The thing that's funny about your little picture there BamaPerry is that Auburn was ranked #2 in basically every poll after the bowl games. It's not like we had lost two games (including one to Miss. St. at home), not won our conference, and still claimed a championship. That would be Alabama in 1941.

Archived