Eddie Robinson passes away.

WAR-MATT

He has been missed since his retirement. My favorite parts from the article.

"The real record I have set for over 50 years is the fact that I have had one job and one wife," Robinson said.
Robinson said he tried to coach each player as if he wanted him to marry his daughter.
n 1943 and 1944 there was no football at Grambling because of the war. Robinson coached at Grambling High School those years and won a high school championship.

"A daddy pulled my best running backs off our team and said they couldn't play anymore because they had to pick cotton," Robinson said. "So I got all the boys on the team, we packed up and went out there to pick the cotton, then went on to win the championship."

To me, Coach Robinson personified what is pure and good about college sports more than any person in our lifetimes.

He has fought the good fight for 88 years and deserves a much needed rest. The media coverage because of his passing is giving many their first look at this fine man. In a way they are letting Eddie coach America's youth one last time.

Im very sad today the world lost a great man and a hell of a football coach over 400 wins! I met coach robinson one time and he was so nice to me and my friends, he didnt have a pen to sign an autograph for us so he made one of his players go and buy him a pen! Ill never forget that rip

A great man receives another great honor.

Link

When Robinson died last week at 88, state officials immediately made plans for him to lie in state, an honor more often bestowed upon political leaders such as Huey Long, the former governor and U.S. senator whose days in power coincided with Robinson's youth.

Archived