Uh...Don't we play these guys the second game?

AU_tiger_2000

usf is a team that i think we can beat even if we sleepwalk through the game.

no player on that team has seen a defense as good as we have, and i'll put our offensive speed up against everybody they played last season as well (except for slayton and white).

haha. keep thinking that way, thats exactly what we expect, and want. so if you wont put your offensive speed up against slayton and white, and our defense absolutely SHUT THOSE 2 DOWN last year, why is there going to be an issue for us against you again? just trying to see any LOGICAL statement or point you may have, because i dont see one.

no player on that team has seen a defense as good as we have. if our defense comes to play usf doesn't score more than 10. logical enough??

also, if you'd like to read the original post, it wasn't that white and slayton were the best usf played last season, just the fastest combo. the best talent you faced last season at QB was brohm and at RB was rice, both of which had pretty good days against the bulls. i would put a healthy cox and our RBs at their level any day.

da' bulls played 3 decent teams last season and 2 of them waxed usf, while an injured, young Auburn team was 2-0 vs bcs teams and beat the mnc. remember lsu putting up what??...almost half a hundred on ND in the sugar bowl?...they scored a total of 3 at JH.

in all honesty, we will be a better football team this season than we were in 06. so believe that your guys can hang as much as you want, and the starters may be able to. i'm not denying the presence of talent at usf, but when they get tired in the 3rd quarter and have to catch a break, the backups that replace them will get run over.

heres a wild and wacky thought, if OUR defense comes to play, YOU dont score more than 10. ok, now put the defibrillator to your chest and shock yourself back to life, because im sure that statement just made you have a heart attack. our football team will be leaps and bounds better than the '06 squad, and our defense will be ranked among tops in the nation. wv scored more than 200 pts more than you last season, and we held them to 19 in morgantown. other than the florida game, i didnt see a huge defensive presence on the field for you last year.

btw, pass me some of whatever it is youre smoking...youd put a healthy cox and ur rb's up against brohm and rice, or slayton and white anyday??? take those navy and orange glasses off for a sec my friend and read what you just wrote. just trying to show you the playing field is, and will be must closer than you think.

oh, btw...am i allowed to stop laughing now after i read the words "healthy cox"? haha cmon man think before those boney fingers touch the keys.

White would have been a DB or WR at Auburn, so try again.......

Care to place a little wager on your ridiculous predictions? Like I've presented to others on this board, we can do username (I think I would pick out AU'S Baby Bull for you) avatars or signatures.... You name it.....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know I have read this entire thread and you are right, USF is a good team! I took my kids to see them play their Bowl game this past year at Legion Field. You know that game that they gave away free tickets to for buying a large Pizza from Papa Johns...............C'mon guys! The fact that USF beat WV is purely a signature win, I mean did UAB not beat LSU a couple of years ago? West Virginia as a benchmark is not the best argument I mean USF should send Mal Moore an extra hundred because you know as well as I do the only reason USF beat the Mountaineers is because UAT was trying to steal their coach( insert UAT logic here! )

:thumbsup:

usf is a team that i think we can beat even if we sleepwalk through the game.

no player on that team has seen a defense as good as we have, and i'll put our offensive speed up against everybody they played last season as well (except for slayton and white).

haha. keep thinking that way, thats exactly what we expect, and want. so if you wont put your offensive speed up against slayton and white, and our defense absolutely SHUT THOSE 2 DOWN last year, why is there going to be an issue for us against you again? just trying to see any LOGICAL statement or point you may have, because i dont see one.

no player on that team has seen a defense as good as we have. if our defense comes to play usf doesn't score more than 10. logical enough??

also, if you'd like to read the original post, it wasn't that white and slayton were the best usf played last season, just the fastest combo. the best talent you faced last season at QB was brohm and at RB was rice, both of which had pretty good days against the bulls. i would put a healthy cox and our RBs at their level any day.

da' bulls played 3 decent teams last season and 2 of them waxed usf, while an injured, young Auburn team was 2-0 vs bcs teams and beat the mnc. remember lsu putting up what??...almost half a hundred on ND in the sugar bowl?...they scored a total of 3 at JH.

in all honesty, we will be a better football team this season than we were in 06. so believe that your guys can hang as much as you want, and the starters may be able to. i'm not denying the presence of talent at usf, but when they get tired in the 3rd quarter and have to catch a break, the backups that replace them will get run over.

heres a wild and wacky thought, if OUR defense comes to play, YOU dont score more than 10. ok, now put the defibrillator to your chest and shock yourself back to life, because im sure that statement just made you have a heart attack. our football team will be leaps and bounds better than the '06 squad, and our defense will be ranked among tops in the nation. wv scored more than 200 pts more than you last season, and we held them to 19 in morgantown. other than the florida game, i didnt see a huge defensive presence on the field for you last year.

btw, pass me some of whatever it is youre smoking...youd put a healthy cox and ur rb's up against brohm and rice, or slayton and white anyday??? take those navy and orange glasses off for a sec my friend and read what you just wrote. just trying to show you the playing field is, and will be must closer than you think.

oh, btw...am i allowed to stop laughing now after i read the words "healthy cox"? haha cmon man think before those boney fingers touch the keys.

Heres a thought. If our defense plays, youll be lucky to score at all.

wow...thats all you got for me?? i believe even your fellow boardmates would agree thats weak. have your mommy type up somethin' real clever and get back to me.

You know I have read this entire thread and you are right, USF is a good team! I took my kids to see them play their Bowl game this past year at Legion Field. You know that game that they gave away free tickets to for buying a large Pizza from Papa Johns...............C'mon guys! The fact that USF beat WV is purely a signature win, I mean did UAB not beat LSU a couple of years ago? West Virginia as a benchmark is not the best argument I mean USF should send Mal Moore an extra hundred because you know as well as I do the only reason USF beat the Mountaineers is because UAT was trying to steal their coach( insert UAT logic here! )

:thumbsup:

yeah i know, the pizza bowl surely didnt have the luster of most other bowl games....i was there. however, it was our first bowl win in our short 10 year tenure so ill take it. im not trying to use the wv win has a benchmark win, or trying to say that since we beat wv we now will crush any team we walk out onto the field with, i have more sense than that. we beat louisville 2 of the last 3 years, so im fairly used to beating teams were "not supposed" to beat.

as a fairly sarcastic guy myself, i can appreciate the ribbing about the papajohns bowl though, it definitely deserves it imo.

Guest Tigrinum Major

yeah i know, the pizza bowl surely didnt have the luster of most other bowl games....i was there.

Believe it or not, we used to play Alabama every year in that dump. Before they tore the upper deck down.

The atmosphere of the surrounding area leaves a little to be desired, no? How much did you pay to have someone watch your car for you?

Bless you for pumping money into our moribund economy.

I did enjoy the game! All Kidding aside.............FREE FOOTBALL! The only team that I would not go see play for free is the one that used to use Legion Field for home games, after that I am wide open! Good luck to you this season!

yeah i know, the pizza bowl surely didnt have the luster of most other bowl games....i was there.

Believe it or not, we used to play Alabama every year in that dump. Before they tore the upper deck down.

The atmosphere of the surrounding area leaves a little to be desired, no? How much did you pay to have someone watch your car for you?

Bless you for pumping money into our moribund economy.

yeah i remember thinking, "wow alabama used to play in this hell hole." yeah the surrounding area is pretty nice, i especially like the barb wire around the stadium, and the freestanding light towers....kinda like icing on the cake. about the car thing, i distinctly remember thinking to myself after i paid $5 to park, "wow i really think i just paid someone 5 dollars to steal my car."

All I can say about Legion Field is poor UAB :no::no::no:

How much did you pay to have someone watch your car for you?

Anytime I hear someone mention Legion field, this comes to mind.... so sad.

All I can say about Legion Field is poor UAB :no::no::no:

tell me about it, i thought i heard someone at the game saying they replaced the natural grass at the stadium to field turf before our bowl game, and now the uab soccer team has nowhere to play since the ncaa deems soccer must be played on natural surfaces. not sure how true the story is, but i thought that was pretty sad, and pretty funny at the same time.

Auburn clearly has more talent and depth, and playing in Auburn is worth 7 points. USF probably has never faced a crowd as loud and hostile as a sold-out JH stadium. However, USF has a solid team that can exploit any bonehead plays or glaring weaknesses. The big question is not what team USF will field, because we know they will come for a fight, but will Auburn come ready to play?

Remeber, Auburn has to replace its top WR, top CB, two LBs, punter, kicker, and 80% of the OL. I don't think all those questions will be resolved by the 2nd game of the season.

If Auburn isn't ready and focused, they could be upset. Auburn won't be able to sleepwalk through this one. I think the defense holds USF to 14 points or less, but the offense is going to have to put points on the board, which was a major problem in 06.

If the OL improves (they looked fine against 2nd and 3rd string defenders in the sping game), then Auburn should be fine in the non-conference games. However, if we see anything like the OL problems of 2003, then it is going to be a long game and a long season.

Auburn clearly has more talent and depth, and playing in Auburn is worth 7 points. USF probably has never faced a crowd as loud and hostile as a sold-out JH stadium. However, USF has a solid team that can exploit any bonehead plays or glaring weaknesses. The big question is not what team USF will field, because we know they will come for a fight, but will Auburn come ready to play?

Remeber, Auburn has to replace its top WR, top CB, two LBs, punter, kicker, and 80% of the OL. I don't think all those questions will be resolved by the 2nd game of the season.

If Auburn isn't ready and focused, they could be upset. Auburn won't be able to sleepwalk through this one. I think the defense holds USF to 14 points or less, but the offense is going to have to put points on the board, which was a major problem in 06.

If the OL improves (they looked fine against 2nd and 3rd string defenders in the sping game), then Auburn should be fine in the non-conference games. However, if we see anything like the OL problems of 2003, then it is going to be a long game and a long season.

u ARE right, we've never faced a crowd like i expect at this game. i know that goes a looooonng way. i know enough to know that on paper, yes au has more talent....they better do more than show up though, otherwise embarrassment on national tv could easily happen. remember, usf has NOTHING to lose and everything to gain by playing this game. auburn took this game several years ago with the intentions of having a cakewalk. everyone knows auburn HATES the fact that in a few short years since theyve taken this game its turned from a guaranteed steamrolling to a quite possible loss.

u ARE right, we've never faced a crowd like i expect at this game. i know that goes a looooonng way. i know enough to know that on paper, yes au has more talent....they better do more than show up though, otherwise embarrassment on national tv could easily happen. remember, usf has NOTHING to lose and everything to gain by playing this game. auburn took this game several years ago with the intentions of having a cakewalk. everyone knows auburn HATES the fact that in a few short years since theyve taken this game its turned from a guaranteed steamrolling to a quite possible loss.

Actually I think we just scheduled it in the last few months, not a few years ago. Of course I don't know how long it's actually been "in the works" before they finalized it, but regardless, we knew what we were getting into.

The players on the roster right now may add up to the most talented in Auburn's history, however, a lot of them are sophomores, redshirt freshmen, and true freshmen. Auburn is going to take a few lumps in 2007 because of inexperience, lack of chemistry, and a killer schedule, but, once that talent gels, I think Auburn is going to be a top 5 program for 2009, 2010, 2011. 2008 depends on how the current backup QBs develop, but the defense may be the best in the country.

I, for one, am glad the USF game is not going to be a cakewalk. I don't think Kansas State is going to lay down in the first game either. If I am right about the talent on the roster, these guys need to be thrown into the fire instead of running up big numbers against Western Kentucky and the Citadel. The sooner the coaches know who is going to execute and show some leadership, the better. Auburn likely has the most difficult conference schedule in the SEC this season (Florida, LSU, Arkansas, and Georgia all on the road), and the coaches need to start getting results ASAP.

Actually I think we just scheduled it in the last few months, not a few years ago. Of course I don't know how long it's actually been "in the works" before they finalized it, but regardless, we knew what we were getting into.

on the contrary...its been scheduled for quite a number of years actually. it was scheduled before our current AD Woolard was at usf. i know that because Woolard flat out does not schedule an opponent unless its a "home and home" situation. Woolard has been our AD since may of '04, so its been scheduled for at least 3 years....therefore you didnt know what you were getting into. ive heard time and time again over the last rougly 2 years about au trying to get out of this game.

on the contrary...its been scheduled for quite a number of years actually. it was scheduled before our current AD Woolard was at usf. i know that because Woolard flat out does not schedule an opponent unless its a "home and home" situation. Woolard has been our AD since may of '04, so its been scheduled for at least 3 years....therefore you didnt know what you were getting into. ive heard time and time again over the last rougly 2 years about au trying to get out of this game.

good luck getting any more good OOC opponents.

My thoughts

1) Every year....there is a good game that everyone in the country pegs as the "upset game"....Boise State/UGA was one such....Bowling Green was going to beat OU last year or the year before...whenever BSU had that good QB.....I think AU/USF will be that game...so expect media to pick USF to "upset" AU....

2) USF will stay close for a half but after that AU will win and win by 2 TD's. I have seen USF play and they are quick and quite solid but they are far from that great. Cox will excel under Borges system in yet another year of experience and AU as always will run quite well. The fresh legs of the OL will be a good thing for AU.

3) Dear USF fan....the way to get by on this board is to be respectful of AU. This is a board for AU fans...you wont get them to say everything YOU think even though they, as well as YOU, are home-team lovers of their school as they should be. Maybe you think USF will win....great....but don't expect others to suddenly think so as well because honestly...to AU...you are not that important in terms of the season.

i know that because Woolard flat out does not schedule an opponent unless its a "home and home" situation.

Then you will have a hard time getting many big-time teams to schedule you.

USF is not a big time program. Nowhere near it.

With that said, USF has a solid team that can give a lot of good teams a game....but that doesnt make them a great program with home-home ability to Top 20 teams.

My thoughts

1) Every year....there is a good game that everyone in the country pegs as the "upset game"....Boise State/UGA was one such....Bowling Green was going to beat OU last year or the year before...whenever BSU had that good QB.....I think AU/USF will be that game...so expect media to pick USF to "upset" AU....

2) USF will stay close for a half but after that AU will win and win by 2 TD's. I have seen USF play and they are quick and quite solid but they are far from that great. Cox will excel under Borges system in yet another year of experience and AU as always will run quite well. The fresh legs of the OL will be a good thing for AU.

3) Dear USF fan....the way to get by on this board is to be respectful of AU. This is a board for AU fans...you wont get them to say everything YOU think even though they, as well as YOU, are home-team lovers of their school as they should be. Maybe you think USF will win....great....but don't expect others to suddenly think so as well because honestly...to AU...you are not that important in terms of the season.

in no way shape or form am i trying to change the world, or convice au fans that usf will win...i understand im in the lions den...or tigers den for that matter. i have no intentions of being disrespectful to any part of the the au program, i have no problem with au. hell, my cousin is a senior in highschool and being recruited HARD by you guys, theyve sent him up there a few times, most recently 2 weeks ago for junior days. you guys arent that important to our season either...just fun getting things stirred up a little bit.

i know that because Woolard flat out does not schedule an opponent unless its a "home and home" situation.

Then you will have a hard time getting many big-time teams to schedule you.

USF is not a big time program. Nowhere near it.

With that said, USF has a solid team that can give a lot of good teams a game....but that doesnt make them a great program with home-home ability to Top 20 teams.

i agree to an extent about the last part....hopefully after this year we'll be "worthy" in your eyes of home-home games against ranked opponents.

I didn't realize that South Florida had such a talented QB. Hopefully Groves can put a hurting on this kid.

Check out the link and watch some of the highlight reel plays. The most impressive to me is the seventh from the top. He is a good runner and a good passer. The most impressive is that he is a sophomore that has a good grasp on using his feet to buy time to throw rather than just breaking down field as soon as pressure comes.

USF is going to get drilled by AU. If you watched their bowl game, you wouldn't be worried.

I agree, they played ECU I think. That game was horrible. AU should wax USF.

it'll be a 7-10 point line...and 6 of those will be because you're at home. i see no waxing in you're future. i AM a realist however, and wouldn't be suprised if we did lose, thats what lines indicate. we shut out ecu in our bowl game other than 1 fluke td they pulled out of their rears, with grothe playing ONE HALF, so im still failing to see the relevance of how us playing ecu and destroying them translates to a big win for you.

Don't fool yourself brother. The line will easily be over 10....

i dunno man...from what ive read a few diff places it should be right around 10, 14 at the ABSOLUTE most.

Don't get me wrong brother I like the USF program a lot. I lived in Tampa from 99' to 03' so i'm very familiar with your program. There was no bigger win for you guys than the blowout of VT in 01'.

umm..obviously you don't know the USF program as well as you thought you did, otherwise you would have known that USF has never played VT before, you might be thinking of the Pitt victory we had in 2001 where we beat Pitt at their place in our first ever season as D-1A. But nice try.

In our short 10 year history, we have played against South Carolina, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Penn State and Miami all at their stadiums, and I believe we were up against Oklahoma going into halftime. If Auburn has to replace 80% of their o-line, your offense will not stand a chance against our defense. we return basically our whole defense, minus a few spots here and there, we are also bringing in Tyrone McKenzie from Iowa State who had 129 tackles last season, he'll most likely start this year at linebacker, plus we still have Ben Moffitt as middle linebacker and our 2nd and 3rd string guys have just as much talent than our starters from this past season. We also return our cornerbacks who were ranked among the best in the country last season, and our d-line is basically all returning.

One offense we are returning our entire line minus one of two people i think, we are also stacked at rb and wr, and bring back an experienced Matt Grothe, who shouldn't have to run as much as he did this past season, and instead can concentrate on throwing the ball.

Don't be surprised if USF does beat Auburn. I don't think it will be that easy of a cakewalk as many of you here think it will be.

Hey Tiger Fans,

Let me first say I have a lot of respect for your program, its tradition, and for the SEC as a whole. Now that I have the pleasantries out of the way......I hope your team brings its "A" game, because ours will. We laid a fat turd at L'Ville and Cincy last year but both of those games were C-O-L-D. I am not much of a climatologist, but I am guessing an early September evening in AL is not going to dip below 40.

What to watch out for on our team:

Offense:

It all starts with the "Great 8" Matt Grothe (pronounced Growth-ee). He is a dual threat QB with great decision making abilities. Last year as a redshirt freshman he quickly won the hearts of the fans and the trust of his teammates. He commands the huddle and is fearless. Went through a few growing pains, but towards the end of the year was probably the second best QB in the Big East behind Brohm.

At RB we should be much improved. Last year Grothe was also our leading rusher. This year we have a Ford GT, Mike Ford, the coveted 5 Star recruit out of Sarasota who has finally made the test scores he needed to qualify (grades were never an issue). His combination of size (6'2'', 220 lbs) and speed (4.39) should give defenses fits. Add to that some speedsters in Aston Samuels and Mo Plancher as well as Ricky Ponton and Ben Williams, and we will be giving defenses fits.

On the O-Line, we return all 5 starters from our Pizza Bowl victory. Not the best O-line in the world, but all in all they are pretty solid.

Nowhere are we deeper than at WR. We have three burners with 4.3 speed (Edwards, Johnson, and Erskin) and some solid bigs who aren't afraid to go across the middle (Hill and Jackson).

Defense:

Jim Leavitt coached teams know how to D-It Up. On the D-Line we bring back a freshman All-America in George Selvie and one of the best pass rushers in the nation in Chris Robinson (also entering his sophomore season). We will have to replace Josh "Light up a Fattie" Julmiste, but we have some young talent that should fill in.

Should a RB get past our D-Line, Mr. Ben Moffit and Tyrone McKenzie will be waiting for them. We have some serviceable guys to fill in at the other LB spot.

We may have one of the top 5 CB tandems in the nation in Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams. They both have a nose for the ball and make great plays. At safety, watchout for the hard hitting Verpale.

Special Teams:

Our kickoff specialist is Justin "Touchback" Teachey. He also handled punting duties for us when our freshman decided they could not catch and kick the ball in sequence last year.

Place kicker has been a cause for concern since the Gramaticas stopped bearing offspring .Fortunately Delbert Alvarado (a true sophomore) returns with a booming leg. He hit a Big East record 56 yarder against Cuse, but has struggled with consistency.

Kick and punt returns will be handled by our speedsters (Erskin, Johnson, Edwards) or possibly Amarri Jackson (or a combination there of).

Overall, this will probably be the best team that USF has ever assembled. I know you coy cats are saying "Well that ain't sayin' much." But only time will tell. You guys are probably much deeper on offense, but I would be bold enough to say defense will be at worst a wash for us, and ours may even be slightly better. It is cliche, but the team that best manages the game, controls field position, and protects the ball will prevail in this one.

I look forward to a great game and some of that "Southern Hospitality." I want to see what SEC football is all about firsthand.

Oh, one last thing. If we do beat you guys (see how I put the IF in there ;) ) Would you please give us our due props and respect and not turn it into an excuse fest? Nothing was more more pathetic than the Morgan-eers crying and whinning over the what-ifs. The fact of the matter is we went into their house, held their two studs to 60 rushing yards, and won the turnover battle. Their players weren't hurt going into the game, but they left physically and emotionally scarred. If you promise to man-up if we win, I will do the same if we lose.

One more thing, what style offense do you guys run? I hope it is some derivations of the Spread, because our D-coordinator, Wally Burnham, is the master of game planning to shut that offense down.

I look forward to some nice banter before the game.

I didn't realize that South Florida had such a talented QB. Hopefully Groves can put a hurting on this kid.

Check out the link and watch some of the highlight reel plays. The most impressive to me is the seventh from the top. He is a good runner and a good passer. The most impressive is that he is a sophomore that has a good grasp on using his feet to buy time to throw rather than just breaking down field as soon as pressure comes.

USF is going to get drilled by AU. If you watched their bowl game, you wouldn't be worried.

I agree, they played ECU I think. That game was horrible. AU should wax USF.

it'll be a 7-10 point line...and 6 of those will be because you're at home. i see no waxing in you're future. i AM a realist however, and wouldn't be suprised if we did lose, thats what lines indicate. we shut out ecu in our bowl game other than 1 fluke td they pulled out of their rears, with grothe playing ONE HALF, so im still failing to see the relevance of how us playing ecu and destroying them translates to a big win for you.

Don't fool yourself brother. The line will easily be over 10....

i dunno man...from what ive read a few diff places it should be right around 10, 14 at the ABSOLUTE most.

Don't get me wrong brother I like the USF program a lot. I lived in Tampa from 99' to 03' so i'm very familiar with your program. There was no bigger win for you guys than the blowout of VT in 01'.

umm..obviously you don't know the USF program as well as you thought you did, otherwise you would have known that USF has never played VT before, you might be thinking of the Pitt victory we had in 2001 where we beat Pitt at their place in our first ever season as D-1A. But nice try.

calm down bro, he made a mistake, dont come over here talking s**t for no reason....this is their board. for the most part theyve been cool man so cut 'em some slack!!!

Archived