Is NASCAR a sport?

townhallsavoy

What is Nascar?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What is nascar, really?

• Sport?
    • Religion?
    • Waste of time?
    • Another excuse to drink beer when the fish arent biting?

I was at one time a faithful follower of the NASCAR world. I loved NASCAR when the most popular names were Davey Allison, Neil Bonnet, Alan Kulwicki, Bill Elliot (in the Bud car), Rusty Wallace (in the black & yellow Miller Lumina), Mark Martin (in the #6 Valvoline Thunderbird), etc, etc, etc. Back then NASCAR didn't have the media hype that it does today. Back then NASCAR wasn't, and didn't make any attempt to be, politically correct. Back then, with the exception of Dover, Watkins Glen, Phoenix, and California, NASCAR was largely relegated to the South. It was something we could call our own. Sure, NASCAR has always been pretty red but raceday Sunday isn't that much different than any given Iron Bowl when it comes to fanbase. You had your rednecks and white trash (Earnhardt fans = Bama fans) and you had your respectable, normal, everyday fans who came just to watch a race without getting trashed with their kids or family (Allison/Elliot fans = Auburn fans). There's rednecks and white trash that are fans of every sport I'm sure and to label all fans of NASCAR as a bunch of toothless inbreds just isn't fair, plain and simple.

Next, NASCAR is a sport and its drivers and pit crews are athletes. Why? Because it contains the element of competition. That's all anything needs to be considered a sport as far as I'm concerned. If two window washers go at it to see who's faster then they're athletes. If we launch two space shuttles at once to see who gets into orbit first, then the astronauts inside are athletes. If I challenge your ass to a rib eating contest (which I've done before) then we're both athletes and I'll just about guarantee I could letter in rib eating...sort of the way TM lettered in butt kissing and GG lettered in pot stirring. All the arguments here stating that it isn't a sport are quite comical and I've gotten a good laugh from them. But if there are any elements of sincerity in the anti-NASCAR rants then they are way off base and spoken from ignorance. NASCAR, as much as I despise it these days, is a sport. There's nothing stock about a stock car and not just anyone can master a built from scratch car. Trying to make comparisons between truck drivers and NASCAR drivers is asinine. My dad is a truck driver but he's not an athlete. He's not racing his fellow Wal-Mart drivers to see who can deliver a shipment first. But he does race against time so I dunno.....And I don't know of anyone that is 72 years old and still driving...but maybe that's because I don't keep up with it anymore...is Morgan Sheppard still driving or something? Anyway, NASCAR isn't just "driving" and constantly turning left. I'd like to see any one of you haters take a stock car and sling it into Turn 3 at Talladega at 192mph one inch off the back bumper of the guy in front of you with someone just as close behind you and someone possibly on either side. It's more precise than what the Blue Angels do. The guys sitting in the driver seat are truly skilled and the best at what they do. I know that doesn't impress some people in here in the slightest but that's just because you're a close-minded moron that probably couldn't drive a 10 penny nail to save your life let alone a stock car and doesn't know the difference between a rocker arm and a rocking chair.

Sigh....but I digress. NASCAR is a sport. Skill, tenacity, teamwork, courage, competition, yadda, yadda, yadda. End of discussion.

But I will say that the guys out there driving today are just a bunch of asshats and I wouldn't cross the street to get their autograph if they were over there begging me to come get one. And NASCAR can take Nextel and the rest of it's panty waisted politically correct agenda and shove it.

That just doesn't hold water, sorry.

So every video gamer is an athelete?

After all the sole purpose of playing video games is to compete with other gamers.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at one time a faithful follower of the NASCAR world. I loved NASCAR when the most popular names were Davey Allison, Neil Bonnet, Alan Kulwicki, Bill Elliot (in the Bud car), Rusty Wallace (in the black & yellow Miller Lumina), Mark Martin (in the #6 Valvoline Thunderbird), etc, etc, etc. Back then NASCAR didn't have the media hype that it does today. Back then NASCAR wasn't, and didn't make any attempt to be, politically correct. Back then, with the exception of Dover, Watkins Glen, Phoenix, and California, NASCAR was largely relegated to the South. It was something we could call our own. Sure, NASCAR has always been pretty red but raceday Sunday isn't that much different than any given Iron Bowl when it comes to fanbase. You had your rednecks and white trash (Earnhardt fans = Bama fans) and you had your respectable, normal, everyday fans who came just to watch a race without getting trashed with their kids or family (Allison/Elliot fans = Auburn fans). There's rednecks and white trash that are fans of every sport I'm sure and to label all fans of NASCAR as a bunch of toothless inbreds just isn't fair, plain and simple.

Next, NASCAR is a sport and its drivers and pit crews are athletes. Why? Because it contains the element of competition. That's all anything needs to be considered a sport as far as I'm concerned. If two window washers go at it to see who's faster then they're athletes. If we launch two space shuttles at once to see who gets into orbit first, then the astronauts inside are athletes. If I challenge your ass to a rib eating contest (which I've done before) then we're both athletes and I'll just about guarantee I could letter in rib eating...sort of the way TM lettered in butt kissing and GG lettered in pot stirring. All the arguments here stating that it isn't a sport are quite comical and I've gotten a good laugh from them. But if there are any elements of sincerity in the anti-NASCAR rants then they are way off base and spoken from ignorance. NASCAR, as much as I despise it these days, is a sport. There's nothing stock about a stock car and not just anyone can master a built from scratch car. Trying to make comparisons between truck drivers and NASCAR drivers is asinine. My dad is a truck driver but he's not an athlete. He's not racing his fellow Wal-Mart drivers to see who can deliver a shipment first. But he does race against time so I dunno.....And I don't know of anyone that is 72 years old and still driving...but maybe that's because I don't keep up with it anymore...is Morgan Sheppard still driving or something? Anyway, NASCAR isn't just "driving" and constantly turning left. I'd like to see any one of you haters take a stock car and sling it into Turn 3 at Talladega at 192mph one inch off the back bumper of the guy in front of you with someone just as close behind you and someone possibly on either side. It's more precise than what the Blue Angels do. The guys sitting in the driver seat are truly skilled and the best at what they do. I know that doesn't impress some people in here in the slightest but that's just because you're a close-minded moron that probably couldn't drive a 10 penny nail to save your life let alone a stock car and doesn't know the difference between a rocker arm and a rocking chair.

Sigh....but I digress. NASCAR is a sport. Skill, tenacity, teamwork, courage, competition, yadda, yadda, yadda. End of discussion.

But I will say that the guys out there driving today are just a bunch of asshats and I wouldn't cross the street to get their autograph if they were over there begging me to come get one. And NASCAR can take Nextel and the rest of it's panty waisted politically correct agenda and shove it.

Did you learn to write in the Army?

Did you learn to write in the Army?

No. If I had then I would write in sentence fragment form and those fragments would be made up of nothing but acronymns.

That just doesn't hold water, sorry.

So every video gamer is an athelete?

After all the sole purpose of playing video games is to compete with other gamers.

Sure, in their own right I suppose. Most probably can't run a 4.3 40 but then again most NFL wide receivers probably couldn't master Tecmo Bowl.

okay, lets flip the script. Since the majority of the people that have voted believe nascar is a sport the burden of proof is not on them. I want the people who believe it isn't a sport to tell everyone why it isn't a sport.

I believe that has already been accomplished and as such this thread has delved into petty bickering due to a cracked block and sheet metal rubbing through the driver side rear tire.

okay, lets flip the script. Since the majority of the people that have voted believe nascar is a sport the burden of proof is not on them. I want the people who believe it isn't a sport to tell everyone why it isn't a sport.

As I've patiently explained to you, those "votes" mean nothing. I've made up my mind and that's all there is to it. ;)

But since you asked, I'll give you a basic definition: In true "sports" you train the man to prepare for competition. You practice skills (either alone or with other members of your team) in order to improve. Your competition is other men. The only thing that can end the participation of a true athlete is an injury to his person. An equipment malfunction will not end the competition for a true athlete. The difference between winning and losing is a combination of the athleticism of the individual and the quality of his coaching.

In racing you adjust the machine to improve performance. You make (in the words of some of those attempting to justify sport status) miniscule adjustments to the machines to make them go faster, draft better, handle curves more smoothly, burn gas and tires as efficiently as possible. A driver may be the best in the field but fail to win because his machine fails -- not because he or his team failed, but his machine. This, in and of itself, disqualifies racing from being a sport. In racing, the athleticism of the driver is of secondary importance. Otherwise you wouldn't see 72-year old guys running qualifying. This, in and of itself, disqualifies racing from being a sport. In racing the difference between winning and losing is influenced by too many outside factors. When any variety of mechanical failures -- from a loose nut to faulty wiring to a million other things -- can and often does relegate the better man/machine to loser's row, then the definition of sport does not apply.

But please continue to vote if you wish. It adds to my amusement.

i enjoy the entertainment value of nascar though it has dramatically changed over the last 5 to 6 years, probably for the worst. going to races are fun and a way i enjoy spending time with friends and family.

do i call it a sport? i don't know. probably. it is a form of competition and a recreational activity. this is a question that will continue to be debated.

are the drivers athletes? sure, they are trained and skilled to compete. i am not saying they are fit like lance armstrong and neither is everyone competing in mlb or nfl.

the thing that is not in question is galen. lets not forget that galen is right and know that he will let you beaware of it. no matter how black and white it is, galen is always right. i have to hand it to him his knowledge and opinions are superior.

the thing that is not in question is galen. lets not forget that galen is right and know that he will let you beaware of it. no matter how black and white it is, galen is always right. i have to hand it to him his knowledge and opinions are superior.

Thank you for recognizing the obvious.

Racing takes a physical toll on you. Sorry, doesn't qualify. Working in my yard takes a physical toll on me.

Racing takes a mental toll on you. Sorry, doesn't qualify. Sodoku takes a mental toll on most people. So doe crosswords.

Racing is expensive. Sorry, doesn't qualify. Working in my yard is expensive. You probably have no idea how much it costs to rent a bobcat to move dirt around. It takes skill to drive that thing, too.

If racing is a sport, then so is OTR trucking. Breaker, breaker.

Ok, forget NASCAR. Let's put you in a 2 seater F1 car (yes, they made some for demos). After an hour and half they would take you out with a spoon, and you wouldn't be able to lift your head for days. Not mental, try driving a car that weighs 1200 lbs, has 800 hp, stops at 5 gs and corners at 3 gs, at the absolute limit for an hour and a half; knowing one split second of lost concentration and you could die. No one has died from Sodoku. You and last year's PlayStation National Champion wouldn't go 3 corners before throwing it off the road, and if you ever did complete a lap you wouldn't be within 10 seconds of the slowest guy out there. Whatever you want to call it, sport, not a sport; the people doing it the maximum level are not you and me, they are at the same skill level as the most-talented athletes in any other endeavor...

People who leap out of planes or off the edge of cliffs while wearing a parachute are different than me. Doesn't make either a sport.

It's hard to do a LOT of things. It's hard to fly a jumbo jet. It's hard to pilot a space shuttle (talk about weight and g's). It's hard to wash windows on a skyscraper -- split second of lost concentration and you DIE!! Oh the horror!! But window washing isn't a sport.

You guys keep making these passionate arguments that have no bearing on whether NASCAR is a sport or not. It's hard. Wow. It takes concentration. Double wow. You're completely insane if you sit there and claim that people who drive are athletes. They're not. They're drivers. Little different than truck drivers.

I'm not really sure why this fruitless discussion continues. I've already made my ruling and it stands. NASCAR isn't a sport.

You ruling means squat. The people of WEN have spoken, you lose. (see pole(l)) (no not the one up...nm)

The subjects may think whatever they wish. The king has, however, spoken.

I refuse to be ruled by a man with a Peter Criss avatar.

I went to my first NASCAR race at Daytona for the Hershey's 300 last year. It was extremely boring and a huge waste of my time. I don't get what all the hype is about. The only part that was mildly entertaining was the last two or three laps. At least that part gets the adrenaline pumping a little. But, to pay sixty dollars for a seat and have to endure three plus hours of nothing for three minutes of intrigue isn't worth it to me.

Sport? [ 29 ] [43.94%]

Religion? [ 1 ] [1.52%]

Waste of time? [ 17 ] [25.76%]

Another excuse to drink beer when the fish arent biting? [ 19 ] [28.79%]

I would like to point out that despite claims in this thread, actually this poll shows that the majority believe that NASCAR is not a sport.

Otter is the only one to have voted that it's a religion, and he doesn't think it's a sport.

17 posters think it's not only not a sport, but completely worthless and a total waste of time.

19 posters don't think it's a sport, but do think that it is at least mildly entertaining. An excuse to drink beer when the fish aren't biting.

1+17+19 = 37 > 29.

Sport? [ 29 ] [43.94%]

Religion? [ 1 ] [1.52%]

I would like to point out that despite claims in this thread, actually this poll shows that the majority believe that NASCAR is not a sport.

OtterTIS is the only one to have voted that it's a religion, and he doesn't think it's a sport.

17 posters think it's not only not a sport, but completely worthless and a total waste of time.

19 posters don't think it's a sport, but do think that it is at least mildly entertaining. An excuse to drink beer when the fish aren't biting.

1+17+19 = 37 > 29.

Fixed that for you :big:

Sport? [ 29 ] [43.94%]

Religion? [ 1 ] [1.52%]

OtterTIS is the only one to have voted that it's a religion, and he doesn't think it's a sport.

1+17+19 = 37 > 29.

Fixed that for you :big:

Right, sorry.

In true "sports" you train the man to prepare for competition. You practice skills (either alone or with other members of your team) in order to improve.

Drivers drive in the off season to practice and they also drive daily leading up to a race. It serves two purposes: Keeps the driver fresh, cause racing is a perishable skill, and to tune the car.

Your competition is other men.

Some races start no less than 40 drivers. That's a lot of men trying to beat each other to the finish line.

The only thing that can end the participation of a true athlete is an injury to his person. An equipment malfunction will not end the competition for a true athlete.

I'm sure Dale Earnhardt, Kenny Irwin, and Adam Petty would agree with you. And their "injuries" weren't caused by equipment malfunction either.

The difference between winning and losing is a combination of the athleticism of the individual and the quality of his coaching.

Yep, a skilled driver is only as good as his crew chief and spotters and vice versa. Good point, GG.

In racing you adjust the machine to improve performance. You make (in the words of some of those attempting to justify sport status) miniscule adjustments to the machines to make them go faster, draft better, handle curves more smoothly, burn gas and tires as efficiently as possible.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

A driver may be the best in the field but fail to win because his machine fails -- not because he or his team failed, but his machine. This, in and of itself, disqualifies racing from being a sport.

Wrong. The machine is a part of the team. It's no good without the driver and the driver is no good without the machine. By your logic, then, people who participate in biathlons aren't athletes. A biathlete may be the best in the field but fail to win because his rifle malfunctions -- not because he couldn't cross country ski fast enough, but his rifle.

In racing, the athleticism of the driver is of secondary importance.

No it isn't.

Otherwise you wouldn't see 72-year old guys running qualifying. This, in and of itself, disqualifies racing from being a sport.

Then I guess Jack Nickalus isn't an athlete.

In racing the difference between winning and losing is influenced by too many outside factors. When any variety of mechanical failures -- from a loose nut to faulty wiring to a million other things -- can and often does relegate the better man/machine to loser's row, then the definition of sport does not apply.

All these "outside factors" are just a part of racing. It's what makes racing what it is and racing, my dear GG, is a sport. "Outside factors" screwed Auburn (the better team) and relegated us to 2nd place in 2004 but I don't seem to see you doubting whether college football is a sport or not. ;)

But please continue to vote if you wish. It adds to my amusement.

Please continue to comment. It adds to my amusement as well.

In true "sports" you train the man to prepare for competition. You practice skills (either alone or with other members of your team) in order to improve.

Drivers drive in the off season to practice and they also drive daily leading up to a race. It serves two purposes: Keeps the driver fresh, cause racing is a perishable skill, and to tune the car.

Your competition is other men.

Some races start no less than 40 drivers. That's a lot of men trying to beat each other to the finish line.

The only thing that can end the participation of a true athlete is an injury to his person. An equipment malfunction will not end the competition for a true athlete.

I'm sure Dale Earnhardt, Kenny Irwin, and Adam Petty would agree with you. And their "injuries" weren't caused by equipment malfunction either.

The difference between winning and losing is a combination of the athleticism of the individual and the quality of his coaching.

Yep, a skilled driver is only as good as his crew chief and spotters and vice versa. Good point, GG.

In racing you adjust the machine to improve performance. You make (in the words of some of those attempting to justify sport status) miniscule adjustments to the machines to make them go faster, draft better, handle curves more smoothly, burn gas and tires as efficiently as possible.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

A driver may be the best in the field but fail to win because his machine fails -- not because he or his team failed, but his machine. This, in and of itself, disqualifies racing from being a sport.

Wrong. The machine is a part of the team. It's no good without the driver and the driver is no good without the machine. By your logic, then, people who participate in biathlons aren't athletes. A biathlete may be the best in the field but fail to win because his rifle malfunctions -- not because he couldn't cross country ski fast enough, but his rifle.

In racing, the athleticism of the driver is of secondary importance.

No it isn't.

Otherwise you wouldn't see 72-year old guys running qualifying. This, in and of itself, disqualifies racing from being a sport.

Then I guess Jack Nickalus isn't an athlete.

In racing the difference between winning and losing is influenced by too many outside factors. When any variety of mechanical failures -- from a loose nut to faulty wiring to a million other things -- can and often does relegate the better man/machine to loser's row, then the definition of sport does not apply.

All these "outside factors" are just a part of racing. It's what makes racing what it is and racing, my dear GG, is a sport. "Outside factors" screwed Auburn (the better team) and relegated us to 2nd place in 2004 but I don't seem to see you doubting whether college football is a sport or not. ;)

I'm not sure how, my esteemed colleague, but you managed to miss every single point in that rebuttal. Good try, though.

I'm not sure how, my esteemed colleague, but you managed to miss every single point in that rebuttal.

Nah.

Don't forget Neil Bonnet and Alan Kulwicki.

Sorry. Alan was a plane crash. Davey Allison was a chopper crash.

Archived