Is NASCAR a sport?

townhallsavoy

What is Nascar?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What is nascar, really?

• Sport?
    • Religion?
    • Waste of time?
    • Another excuse to drink beer when the fish arent biting?

Have any of you guys actually driven anywhere close to that fast? To say these guys don't have the proverbial balls of steel is crazy. I drove 155 in a friends car down the interstate one time and it scared the bejesus out of me. When the car the lane over is doing 70 and you approach like you were doing 85 and they are standing still, its a little unnerving.

Steel balls, really scary. Check. Not a sport. It takes titanium balls to get in the pool with a pack of hungry sharks and it's scary as crap, too. But not a sport.

These guys drive on the brink of control the whole time. Did anyone watch Harvick approach Martin at the end of the race and just the prescense of Harvick caused Martin to start to break lose and his back end get squirly. At 185. Its like driving on an oval oil slick. These guys may not be "athletes" per se, but they are the best at what they do.

Brink of calamity. Not an athlete. Check. Not a sport. Driving a big rig takes intense concentration and those big puppies are a half-pedal from ruining your day every day. A 72 year old guy was able to get out there and have a shot at qualifying. Let's see him hit a Barry Zito fastball. Let's see him take a shot from Ray Lewis. Let's see him school Dwayne Wade. Oh he can't?

I think the sport argument is semantics. Thats like arguing which girls are hot. You are never going to reach a consensus. As for the espn poll, I played hockey my entire life. I don't think there's that big of a gap between the toughness of hockey and nascar. Just my opinion.

I decide which girls are hot. It's a rule. So there's no need for a consensus. If you want to know if a certain girl is hot or not, just send me a couple of pictures and I'll review them for you. Hockey is soccer on ice, so there's no need to bring that into the discussion.

For those that think NASCAR is just a redneck sport, it has a HUGE following throughout the country. Probably some of the biggest fans are in the midwest and northeast far from what I would consider "redneck country"

It may be far from what you'd consider redneck country, but some of the biggest rednecks I've ever met were from the midwest. And there are plenty of them up the eastern seaboard in the smaller towns. Go to Maine and drive the back roads down through upstate New York. Other than the shape of the buildings and just a touch of accent, you'd be hard pressed to tell whether you were driving there or from Eutaw down to McIntosh. Hospitality is a little better up north, maybe.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have any of you guys actually driven anywhere close to that fast? To say these guys don't have the proverbial balls of steel is crazy. I drove 155 in a friends car down the interstate one time and it scared the bejesus out of me. When the car the lane over is doing 70 and you approach like you were doing 85 and they are standing still, its a little unnerving.

Steel balls, really scary. Check. Not a sport. It takes titanium balls to get in the pool with a pack of hungry sharks and it's scary as crap, too. But not a sport.

These guys drive on the brink of control the whole time. Did anyone watch Harvick approach Martin at the end of the race and just the prescense of Harvick caused Martin to start to break lose and his back end get squirly. At 185. Its like driving on an oval oil slick. These guys may not be "athletes" per se, but they are the best at what they do.

Brink of calamity. Not an athlete. Check. Not a sport. Driving a big rig takes intense concentration and those big puppies are a half-pedal from ruining your day every day. A 72 year old guy was able to get out there and have a shot at qualifying. Let's see him hit a Barry Zito fastball. Let's see him take a shot from Ray Lewis. Let's see him school Dwayne Wade. Oh he can't?

I think the sport argument is semantics. Thats like arguing which girls are hot. You are never going to reach a consensus. As for the espn poll, I played hockey my entire life. I don't think there's that big of a gap between the toughness of hockey and nascar. Just my opinion.

I decide which girls are hot. It's a rule. So there's no need for a consensus. If you want to know if a certain girl is hot or not, just send me a couple of pictures and I'll review them for you. Hockey is soccer on ice, so there's no need to bring that into the discussion.

For those that think NASCAR is just a redneck sport, it has a HUGE following throughout the country. Probably some of the biggest fans are in the midwest and northeast far from what I would consider "redneck country"

It may be far from what you'd consider redneck country, but some of the biggest rednecks I've ever met were from the midwest. And there are plenty of them up the eastern seaboard in the smaller towns. Go to Maine and drive the back roads down through upstate New York. Other than the shape of the buildings and just a touch of accent, you'd be hard pressed to tell whether you were driving there or from Eutaw down to McIntosh. Hospitality is a little better up north, maybe.

So if you take a shot from Ray Lewis and survive, you're an athlete? I think I could pull that off. How does it not work the other way? Can Wade, Zito, or Lewis drive a car at 200 mph. Or how about in between. Can Wade hit a Zito fastball either? I bet I'd have a better chance than Wade. If I'm not mistaken, Zito is better known for his off speed pitches than fastballs. Most professional sports are about doing a specific task well. Most pitchers can't hit fastballs either.

NASCAR is for bammers.

It's not a sport. In fact it's third to last on my list of debatable sports just squeaking out the win against the other bammer pastimes of hunting and fishing. (Although, I do enjoy fishing. Doesn't make me an athelete for doing it.)

Everything that can be said about it already has.

NASCAR is for bammers.

It's not a sport. In fact it's third to last on my list of debatable sports just squeaking out the win against the other bammer pastimes of hunting and fishing. (Although, I do enjoy fishing. Doesn't make me an athelete for doing it.)

Oh, c'mon. Let's kick the anthill a little more.

NASCAR is for bammers.

I will not be compared to Bammers! There is a line, there is a line and you have not just crossed it sir, you have trampled upon it! Not so much because of the disparaging of NASCAR which I find merely a diversion between Super Bowl and opening kickoff of the college season; you have listed hunting and fishing as "Bammer pastimes"! I know when I've been insulted! A pox upon thee!

:angry:

:flame:chizadsig2.jpg?t=1170222175

A pox upon thee!

:roflol:

Gonna have to go ahead and agree here. I love to kill me some animals and eat them.

F'in' A

You must have missed this part.

(Although, I do enjoy fishing. Doesn't make me an athelete for doing it.)

Saw it. Just pullin' your chain. If I'm really upset I don't say "A pox upon thee".

"For Bammers". Talk like that will get a man cut. ;)

While debating this may be fun and is great, I think some need to learn how to play nice.

Let's keep the name calling and stereotyping a certain group because they like NASCAR, or whatever the "sport" may be, off the board. Just because you don't like a sport or understand it does not give you the right to make degrading remarks about those that do.

While some were joking around, some were getting way too serious and crossing the line. Otter, your post was in poor taste and you broke board rules by namecalling and insulting members of this board just because you do not like a sport they enjoy. I suggest that anybody else that did the same thing go back and edit their posts if I overlooked them. Some need to learn how to debate a subject with acting like a jerkhole while doing it. I have a short fuse when it comes to insulting and name calling over a message board.

If I could weigh in here (180 lbs),

it's a matter of definitions. What is a "sport" to one fellow may not be to another. What can be agreed on is that there are some sports that definitely are above debate. Football, running, track and field, basketball and some others come to mind. One could argue that baseball, which requires hand-eye coordination but maybe not the most "fit" of players may not be a "sport." Conversely, those that deem archery similar to golf may find both "competitions" but not athletic. But compared to a spelling bee for instance, both are more of a "sport."

Point is, what is a sport or not depends on what you are comparing it to. In my opinion, we must compare NASCAR to those things that are beyond doubt athletic sports...therefore NASCAR is NOT a sport. But neither is golf, hunting, fishing, or some others previously mentioned...sorry to those that love those interests--they are COMPETITIONS but not sports in the true sense of the word.

Thank you for reading.

That is all.

Who cares what is a sport or not? Why does it seem to matter so much to some of you?

If you like watching, playing, or doing something, then I say more power to you. Do what you enjoy and forget about what is is classified as. I keep seeing "true definition" of the word "sport" being thrown around and I have seen about half a dozen different versions of that definition. In this case, there is no concrete fact anybody can present to call or not call something a sport. I just don't understand why it matters as long as you enjoy whatever it is you participate in. I also don't understand the degrading of others because of what recreation or sport they choose to be a part of.

Also, I keep hearing the term "athlete" thrown around alot. Guys, you don't necessarily have to be an athlete to play a sport and just as there are world class athletes that do not participate in something called a sport. I would call a professional wrestler an athlete, but he participates in scripted entertainment, not a sport, but they do suffer injuries because of the athletic moves they make during that entertainment.

It also determines the level of the event if it could be considered a sport or if a person is considered an athlete. Take for instance race care driving. Sure, we all drive cars ever day and we do not count that is participating in a sport. However, you can't use that argument to say race car driving is not a sport. What you and I do everyday on our way to work, to the store, or whatever, is not on the same level as what a race car driver is doing, so you can't compare the two.

Golf is another example of how some call it a sport and some do not and even some say golfers are not athletes. Some of us play golf. Some of us play golf while intoxicated while riding around on golf carts with beer bellies, thus saying it is not a sport. However, besides John Daly, how many of those PGA tour pros do you see with beer bellies and playing while they are drunk? Also, many of us do not play or practice even one percent of the rounds those guys play. If most of us tried to swing that club as much as those guys did in just one week, are arms and shoulders would feel like they were about to fall off. Same kind of goes for professional bass fishermen. Weekend anglers like me do not make as near as many casts each week as those guys do. Half of the professional bass fishermen usually wind of with some type of shoulder or back problem before their career ends.

You also can't compare the participants of a sport from decades ago to today's standards. Most sports have gotten more competitive. You can't compare the beer bellied moonshine runners and their cars of yesterday to the high performance race car drivers of today. You can't compare baseball players from Ruth's era with the guys of today. Same goes for football, tennis, hockey, gymnastics, fishing, or just about any other event you can thing of. Why? Because in most competitive events, the physiology of the participants, the arenas and the equipment has changed, making the competitions completely different from decades ago.

Finally, you can't make a good judgement call just by what you see on TV on the day of the event, if you have not seen the preparation involved. Anybody that has played sports knows that the practices are generally more grueling then what is happening on gameday. For those of you that have played football at the high school level or higher, how many times did you puke during practice compared to when you played a game? I can recall many puking sessions during practice, but I can never recall blowing chunks during a game. Same goes for non-contact sports.

For example, I saw gymnastics mentioned as a non-sport by a few. I also saw it could not be a sport because it is an individual event and not a team event. I can speak a little on this because my son started boys gymnastics a few months ago. At first I was not happy, but when I saw how dedicated he was and saw how hard those boys worked, I changed my tune. Most only see the competitions on TV, but they don't see the practices. During his 6 hours of practice a week, which includes a three hour practice on Saturday mornings from 8 am - 11 am, the guys do a solid hour of push-ups, sit-ups, mule kicks, and just about every other excercise I did in football and even in Army boot camp. Then after that they practice their different stations. BTW, my son is just 9 years old, so how many 9 year old boys do you see playing baseball (which is my sport of choice), football, or basketball waking up at 7 am on Saturday mornings to go to a three hour practice and how many kids that age to you see doing about nearly 2 hours a week of upper an lower body strength conditioning? So, please tell my son what he does is not as grueling as what other kids, who are playing the traditional sports, at his age are doing. He will laugh at you. I will too because I have either coached or umpired youth league sports for years as well as high school aged sports, and I can tell you that it blows my mind to see the physical conditioning my son is going through, and enjoying it, at his age. I have coached alot of kids in baseball that only ever give a half effort because mommy and daddy are making them play. My son played baseball and basketball also, but he never worked as hard and even tried as hard as his in gymnastics right now. Is it considered a sport or an exhibition? I can tell you that my son and I can care less what it is called, just as long as he is happy and he gets a sense of accomplishment from his hard work.

Bottom line is that everyody has their thing. Trying to say one event/sport/game is better then the other or trying to classify these as a sport or not is silly. If I guy likes to play darts instead of rugby, what does it matter to you or me what it is classified as? You think the fact that what you or I classify it as is going to make the him like darts any less if he really enjoys it? Is it going to make you enjoy what you do more because of how classify it? Heck, if I half heartedly play golf while the guy that plays darts is dedicated to making himself as good as he can be, who am I do say what I play is better then what he plays?

Sorry for the novel guys, but I thought maybe I could try bring everybody's view into perspective as it seemed there were some getting way too serious about this and had sort of a "superiority" complex towards certain things.

Who cares what is a sport or not? Why does it seem to matter so much to some of you?

If you like watching, playing, or doing something, then I say more power to you. Do what you enjoy and forget about what is is classified as. I keep seeing "true definition" of the word "sport" being thrown around and I have seen about half a dozen different versions of that definition. In this case, there is no concrete fact anybody can present to call or not call something a sport. I just don't understand why it matters as long as you enjoy whatever it is you participate in. I also don't understand the degrading of others because of what recreation or sport they choose to be a part of.

Also, I keep hearing the term "athlete" thrown around alot. Guys, you don't necessarily have to be an athlete to play a sport and just as there are world class athletes that do not participate in something called a sport. I would call a professional wrestler an athlete, but he participates in scripted entertainment, not a sport, but they do suffer injuries because of the athletic moves they make during that entertainment.

It also determines the level of the event if it could be considered a sport or if a person is considered an athlete. Take for instance race care driving. Sure, we all drive cars ever day and we do not count that is participating in a sport. However, you can't use that argument to say race car driving is not a sport. What you and I do everyday on our way to work, to the store, or whatever, is not on the same level as what a race car driver is doing, so you can't compare the two.

Golf is another example of how some call it a sport and some do not and even some say golfers are not athletes. Some of us play golf. Some of us play golf while intoxicated while riding around on golf carts with beer bellies, thus saying it is not a sport. However, besides John Daly, how many of those PGA tour pros do you see with beer bellies and playing while they are drunk? Also, many of us do not play or practice even one percent of the rounds those guys play. If most of us tried to swing that club as much as those guys did in just one week, are arms and shoulders would feel like they were about to fall off. Same kind of goes for professional bass fishermen. Weekend anglers like me do not make as near as many casts each week as those guys do. Half of the professional bass fishermen usually wind of with some type of shoulder or back problem before their career ends.

You also can't compare the participants of a sport from decades ago to today's standards. Most sports have gotten more competitive. You can't compare the beer bellied moonshine runners and their cars of yesterday to the high performance race car drivers of today. You can't compare baseball players from Ruth's era with the guys of today. Same goes for football, tennis, hockey, gymnastics, fishing, or just about any other event you can thing of. Why? Because in most competitive events, the physiology of the participants, the arenas and the equipment has changed, making the competitions completely different from decades ago.

Finally, you can't make a good judgement call just by what you see on TV on the day of the event, if you have not seen the preparation involved. Anybody that has played sports knows that the practices are generally more grueling then what is happening on gameday. For those of you that have played football at the high school level or higher, how many times did you puke during practice compared to when you played a game? I can recall many puking sessions during practice, but I can never recall blowing chunks during a game. Same goes for non-contact sports.

For example, I saw gymnastics mentioned as a non-sport by a few. I also saw it could not be a sport because it is an individual event and not a team event. I can speak a little on this because my son started boys gymnastics a few months ago. At first I was not happy, but when I saw how dedicated he was and saw how hard those boys worked, I changed my tune. Most only see the competitions on TV, but they don't see the practices. During his 6 hours of practice a week, which includes a three hour practice on Saturday mornings from 8 am - 11 am, the guys do a solid hour of push-ups, sit-ups, mule kicks, and just about every other excercise I did in football and even in Army boot camp. Then after that they practice their different stations. BTW, my son is just 9 years old, so how many 9 year old boys do you see playing baseball (which is my sport of choice), football, or basketball waking up at 7 am on Saturday mornings to go to a three hour practice and how many kids that age to you see doing about nearly 2 hours a week of upper an lower body strength conditioning? So, please tell my son what he does is not as grueling as what other kids, who are playing the traditional sports, at his age are doing. He will laugh at you. I will too because I have either coached or umpired youth league sports for years as well as high school aged sports, and I can tell you that it blows my mind to see the physical conditioning my son is going through, and enjoying it, at his age. I have coached alot of kids in baseball that only ever give a half effort because mommy and daddy are making them play. My son played baseball and basketball also, but he never worked as hard and even tried as hard as his in gymnastics right now. Is it considered a sport or an exhibition? I can tell you that my son and I can care less what it is called, just as long as he is happy and he gets a sense of accomplishment from his hard work.

Bottom line is that everyody has their thing. Trying to say one event/sport/game is better then the other or trying to classify these as a sport or not is silly. If I guy likes to play darts instead of rugby, what does it matter to you or me what it is classified as? You think the fact that what you or I classify it as is going to make the him like darts any less if he really enjoys it? Is it going to make you enjoy what you do more because of how classify it? Heck, if I half heartedly play golf while the guy that plays darts is dedicated to making himself as good as he can be, who am I do say what I play is better then what he plays?

Sorry for the novel guys, but I thought maybe I could try bring everybody's view into perspective as it seemed there were some getting way too serious about this and had sort of a "superiority" complex towards certain things.

but what if i come up with a half witty meaningless comparision about driving my car on the interstate, will you see things my way finally?

ps-couldn't agree more

I say NASCAR is more Religion than anything.

..... with a militant following, to boot. I recall seeing a guy get fileted at the Talladega speedway for the sin of blaspheming the Intimidator. Called him, "A low-life, cheatin' bastard" in front of the wrong person and wound up with an Arkansas toothpick sticking out of his gut.

Last race I ever attended. Wasn't what you would call a true fan of whatever NASCAR is; but as a young man, I did enjoy the femininas that hung around the track.

but what if i come up with a half witty meaningless comparision about driving my car on the interstate, will you see things my way finally?

ps-couldn't agree more

You'd be better served with a truck driving analogy. It's a more valid comparison. And truck drivers like NASCAR. I think its because truck drivers are athletes in the same vein as NASCAR drivers.

I have it upon good authority that NASCAR fans are boors who will ruin a good weekend getaway at Ross Bridges Resort also! :big:

While debating this may be fun and is great, I think some need to learn how to play nice.

Let's keep the name calling and stereotyping a certain group because they like NASCAR, or whatever the "sport" may be, off the board. Just because you don't like a sport or understand it does not give you the right to make degrading remarks about those that do.

While some were joking around, some were getting way too serious and crossing the line. Otter, your post was in poor taste and you broke board rules by namecalling and insulting members of this board just because you do not like a sport they enjoy. I suggest that anybody else that did the same thing go back and edit their posts if I overlooked them. Some need to learn how to debate a subject with acting like a jerkhole while doing it. I have a short fuse when it comes to insulting and name calling over a message board.

I wasn't speaking in the particular. Just the general.

I have it upon good authority that NASCAR fans are boors who will ruin a good weekend getaway at Ross Bridges Resort also! :big:

They'll trash a trip to Gatlinburg, too. I made the mistake of going up there the same weekend as some race in Tennessee.

Went to the aquarium -- very nice place. There's a conveyor belt that runs you through these tunnels with fish all around you. NASCAR dad -- mullet and wife-beater in full effect with a top-end weight of 400 -- and his NASCAR brood behind us. Half way around the deal, he loudly proclaims: "I don't know why we had to spend all that money for tickets to this, it ain't nothin but a bunch of @!%@!&*!@%$!& fish."

Priceless! You should really consider writing a book. You could be the next Grizzard.

Priceless! You should really consider writing a book. You could be the next Grizzard.

There are two things I've always wanted to do. If I don't do one or the other, I'm afraid my life will have been meaningless.

1) I wanted to be a lawyer when I was a kid. Never really wanted to be anything else. But circumstances and some incredibly poor decision making years ago has to this point denied me that dream.

2) I want to write a book. I've started half a dozen or more, all now in various stages of completion. I have two ideas now that I think would be very good, but I don't know how to get published. I'd love to be considered in the same continent as Grizzard or Dave Barry.

There are two things I've always wanted to do. If I don't do one or the other, I'm afraid my life will have been meaningless.

1) I wanted to be a lawyer when I was a kid. Never really wanted to be anything else. But circumstances and some incredibly poor decision making years ago has to this point denied me that dream.

2) I want to write a book. I've started half a dozen or more, all now in various stages of completion. I have two ideas now that I think would be very good, but I don't know how to get published. I'd love to be considered in the same continent as Grizzard or Dave Barry.

Hey, GG. An agent is looking over my novel right now, and if I can write one, anybody can. Try getting this book: The First Five Minutes. It's a great how-to showing what to do, put your book together, find an agent, etc. etc. Best no-BS book I've ever seen.

Archived