Okay. Great Restaurants in Alabama.

otterinbham

Guys why does everyone on here hate chain restaurants??? I think that some chain's do a great job and just because they aren't owned locally doesnt make them bad! I may be biased but I say support all the restaurants in Birmingham, some chains give you a personal touch, remember you by name and take time to say hello and thank you for dining! Ill stop now I just say not all chain's are bad!

I just want to take this opportunity to say that Landry's is awesome!

:comfort:

(Actually I've never been there, but if I do show ever make it, I expect a discount for advertising)

Being headquartered here in Houston, IMO Landry's is over-rated BIG time. I rate Pappadeaux mucho better than Landry's.

Sorry, I don't think Pappadeaux's is anywhete but Texas, but if you ever get the chance to eat in one of em, I fully and completely endorse them. Ain't cheap, but there's a huge amount of chow and the service is top notch.

Landry's is terrible. Period.

why is that did you have a bad visit? I think to say its terrible is far from the truth!!

I never wanted to mention Landrys since I have a personal intrest in the store, I Know a lot of people that work in chain restaurants and they care a lot about customer satisfaction, please no more landrys talk!!!!!

why is that did you have a bad visit? I think to say its terrible is far from the truth!!

I never wanted to mention Landrys since I have a personal intrest in the store, I Know a lot of people that work in chain restaurants and they care a lot about customer satisfaction, please no more dissing Landrys because i take it personal

Don't take it personally, but I actually tried it even after having one bad experience and that meal was not good either. The service was fine, but the food was simply not good.

I never wanted to mention Landrys since I have a personal intrest in the store, I Know a lot of people that work in chain restaurants and they care a lot about customer satisfaction, please no more dissing Landrys because i take it personal

Don't take it personally, but I actually tried it even after having one bad experience and that meal was not good either. The service was fine, but the food was simply not good.

Sorry you had a bad time I hate to hear it

I Think Al's in Southside has some great food. Its not a restaraunt, but those chicken fingers are delicious.

I Think Al's in Southside has some great food. Its not a restaraunt, but those chicken fingers are delicious.

the later you go the better the food, its like the Purple Onion in homewood great late night food but you feel it the next day

The Ark in Riverside. Great Catfish, as a matter of fact it was named one of the top 10 catfish restaraunts in the United States. Local owners, friendly service, and great food all around. Their Website

The Shack (on Stemley Bridge Road (highway 34) between Talladega and Pell City). The best BBQ I have had the pleasure of eating. I always go there when I am home on leave. The place is built out of Railroad crossties, and looks like hell from the outside. Don't let that fool you though. The food is outstanding, and they make some of the best sweet tea in the area.

If you ever find yourself in Bessemer, stop by Bob Sykes BBQ. You won't be sorry!

Great casual place for BBQ:

Smoke House in Millbrook

As far as the nicer places in Montgomery, here they are:

Jimmy's Uptown Grill

City Grill

I've only been to City Grill, but I have heard nothing but good about Jimmy's Uptown Grill. If you ever go to City Grill, I suggest going next door to Next Door. It's a good, pretty nice bar.

Guys why does everyone on here hate chain restaurants??? I think that some chain's do a great job and just because they aren't owned locally doesnt make them bad! I may be biased but I say support all the restaurants in Birmingham, some chains give you a personal touch, remember you by name and take time to say hello and thank you for dining! Ill stop now I just say not all chain's are bad!

I just want to take this opportunity to say that Landry's is awesome!

:comfort:

(Actually I've never been there, but if I do show ever make it, I expect a discount for advertising)

Being headquartered here in Houston, IMO Landry's is over-rated BIG time. I rate Pappadeaux mucho better than Landry's.

Sorry, I don't think Pappadeaux's is anywhete but Texas, but if you ever get the chance to eat in one of em, I fully and completely endorse them. Ain't cheap, but there's a huge amount of chow and the service is top notch.

Pappadeaux is much better than Landry's (at least the Landry's in Huntsville). And yes there are Pappadeaux's east of the Mississippi. There is one it Marietta, GA and one in Gainesville, GA. I don't know about the one in Gainesville but the one in Marietta is slammed as long as the door is open.

I second Fox Valley, off Hwy. 52 in Helena. It doesn't look impressive, but the food is top notch.

Birmingham had a "best pizza in town", and "best burger in town" sometime back. Best burger was given to Harry's Place off of Hwy. 31 in Hoover across from Chase Lake CC... they deserved it.

Best pizza was Tortuga's deep dish Chicago style Carne special... excellent. It's on Hwy 150/John Hawkins Pkwy. in Hoover across from the Wal-Mart. Call in ahead, it takes them at least 20 minutes to make it.

I second Fox Valley, off Hwy. 52 in Helena. It doesn't look impressive, but the food is top notch.

Birmingham had a "best pizza in town", and "best burger in town" sometime back. Best burger was given to Harry's Place off of Hwy. 31 in Hoover across from Chase Lake CC... they deserved it.

Best pizza was Tortuga's deep dish Chicago style Carne special... excellent. It's on Hwy 150/John Hawkins Pkwy. in Hoover across from the Wal-Mart. Call in ahead, it takes them at least 20 minutes to make it.

Haven't tried Harry's. But for the Best Pizza in town, I would offer up Davenports or, when I'm in a frisky mood, Cosmo's.

My votes:

Montgomery casual:

Hamburger King-Hands down best burger I've ever had!!! Before you go, schedule yourself for a heart cath!

Scott St. Grocery-Fantastic subs on homemade bread.

Mexico Tipico-I agree with AUChizad. Salsa is great.

Dabbos Steak and Seafood-Can be casual or fine. I love their cheese grits.

Mellow Mushroom-It's a mini chain but the Mighty Meaty pizza is great.

Wing It-It's in Millbrook, too. Their wings are better than Baumhowers to me.

Birmingham casual:

Taco Casa-It's fast-food TexMex, but, if you like Taco Bell, you'll LOVE the Casa. Taco burgers and Sanchos!!! It's a mini chain also.

Mobile casual:

In addition to some of the others in Mobile already listed:

Zea-I've never had anything bad. I love the Asian Almond Shrimp appetizer.

La Pizzeria-Their pizza's are different, but, they are a close second to Mellow Mushroom.

Big Time Diner-Always crowded but worth the wait. Cheesesteak sandwich is awesome.

Grand Hotel-Sunday brunch is excellent.

Blue Gill-Great seafood.

Orange Beach & Gulf Shores:

Casual

Nikki's & Fish Camp

--Both are laid back homestyle fried seafood. Delicious and great prices. Nikki's is supposed to open back up this month! WOOHOO!

Coffee Merchant

--DELICIOUS Paninis. It's not the same as it used to be back in the day, but it's still a great place for lunch.

Calypso's

--Great Caribbean flair in the seafood and the same GREAT cheese fries that you can get a Bob Baumhower's in T-town.

Finer

Mango's

--Right above Calypso's, very tasty.

Louisiana Lagniappe

--Great fancy seafood. I've eaten here a few times with my parents and it's very delicious.

In the Shoals area:

Fine Dining:

Dale's - Right next to O'Neal Bridge on the Florence side of the river

George's - Next to Helen Keller Hospital in Sheffield

...and that's about it, sadly.

More Casual Dining:

Ragazza Italiano - on Main Street in Tuscumbia

The Palace Ice Cream & Sandwich - on Main Street in Tuscumbia. It's like an old 40's or 50's soda fountain

The Smokehouse - on Tennessee Street in Florence. It's a pool hall but the chili burgers are to die for. It was a pretty popular hangout during college.

Staggs Grocery - It's not a grocery store but it is a great place to get lunch. It's in old East Florence on Royal Avenue.

Dawg House - It used to be called Flo's back in the day when Flo was still alive but the new owners serve basically the same menu...which isn't much...but it's good. It's in Sheffield on 2nd Street.

Cajun's Seafood - Real coonass food. Sports bar type feel. Been in business since the beginning of time. It's on Jackson Highway in Sheffield. Unfortunately, the overwhelming presence of bammers on any given night makes the place less than desirable...but the food is great.

How could you forget Ricatoni's?? That place is awesome! Much better than " those chain restaurants out by the mall". Lol!

Also we have the 360 Grille in the Renaissance Tower. It rotates now. Never eaten there but word is its pretty good...but pricey.

I'll give Fish Camp a second :thumbsup:

I'm also partial to Wolf Bay Lodge, which is just off of County Road 20 a few miles east of Hwy 59 in Foley...their salads aren't anything special, but their seafood is excellent and their cocktail sauce will clear your freakin' sinuses out...it's definitely got some bite to it (i.e. horseradish), which I like.

They're closed during the entire month of September, though, or at least that used to be their s.o.p.

Sweetie Pie's in Foley always had some kickass desserts, but I don't know if it is still open or if the quality is still high.

Chain/semi-chain comments:

* Concur with the majority on Landry's...decent ambience, subpar food. The Pappas restaurants are significantly better.

* Agree w/Tiger Al on Mellow Mushroom...Auburn didn't have one when I was there, but Foley did get one a few years ago and when I go back to visit, my mom and I always go there. The House Special is excellent...their crust is really good. There's one in Chattanooga, too, so I can get it when I go visit my sister.

* Agree w/Tiger Al on Mellow Mushroom...Auburn didn't have one when I was there, but Foley did get one a few years ago and when I go back to visit, my mom and I always go there. The House Special is excellent...their crust is really good. There's one in Chattanooga, too, so I can get it when I go visit my sister.

AU and T-Town has the Shroom now.

Archived