Putting things in perspective

GalensGhost

Makes one wonder what Shug made.

I believe Shug had the quaint notion that football coaches should not make more than the college president.

Also, Barfield was good enough and/or respected enough and/or stable enough to coach for five seasons at Auburn (1976-1980). That's more than Perkins (4 seasons), Curry (3 seasons), Dubose (4), Franchione (2) , Price (0 seasons), or Shula (4) at spuat.

Of course, his records for those five years were only 4-7*, 6-5*, 6-4-1, 8-3, and 5-6, per Wikipedia (*including wins by forfeit from MSU in 1976 & 1977):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Barfield

[A question about this Wikipedia article: What were we on probation for in 1979 and 1980? I don't remember that.]

Also, Barfield was good enough and/or respected enough and/or stable enough to coach for five seasons at Auburn (1976-1980). That's more than Perkins (4 seasons), Curry (3 seasons), Dubose (4), Franchione (2) , Price (0 seasons), or Shula (4) at spuat.

Of course, his records for those five years were only 4-7*, 6-5*, 6-4-1, 8-3, and 5-6, per Wikipedia (*including wins by forfeit from MSU in 1976 & 1977):

[A question about this Wikipedia article: What were we on probation for in 1979 and 1980? I don't remember that.]

No fair. You're comparing the longevity of Barfield's era against coaching eras at a school with the most unrealistic of expectations. Any other school you want to compare against is acceptable. uat is a "special" (head) case.

I had to look it up on the internet. I vaguely remember a rumor that SPUAT turned us in; I don't have a link to this. Just remember that some Auburn fans were very sure of this.

Institution: Auburn University

Date: 11-MAY-79

Facts Summary: Extra benefits; improper recruiting contacts, entertainment, inducements, lodging, publicity and transportation; excessive number of official visits; tryouts; questionable practice; certification of compliance.

Violation Summary: Extra benefits; improper recruiting contacts, entertainment, inducements, lodging, publicity and transportation; excessive number of official visits; tryouts; questionable practice; certification of compliance.

Penalty Summary: Show cause why more penalties should not be imposed if institution does not disassociate four representatives from recruiting. MEN'S BASKETBALL: one-year postseason ban; one-year television ban. FOOTBALL: two-year postseason ban; two-year television ban.

Involved Sports:

Men's Basketball

Football

Involved Penalties:

TV: 2 yrs Reduction in Financial Aid: No

Postseason: 2 yrs Recruiting: Yes

Probation: 2 yrs Show Cause Action: No

Associated Bylaws Sel Bylaw Title

No bylaws found

Archived