Ben Tate: One more reason to be excited

HarpyTrain

I loved seeing Tristan return kicks and hope he gets the chance to break a zillion of them next year! (Well, except I hope nobody is kicking off to us a "zillion" times...) Maybe he'll get lots of chances to show off his ball-carrying skills on interceptions!

Odds on Enrique redshirting, anyone?

TD can return punts for TDs, not to mention interceptions if/when he gets one of those. ED will certainly be red-shirted. If you can find somebody to take that bet that he won't -- bet the house.

Did you think Tate would be redshirted this year?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I thought so initially. I was convinced KI, Lester, Stewart & Smith would be able to handle the load just fine. Who knew KI would get injured so early and have it be a chronic problem throughout the season? After I saw Tate play, I changed my mind. I thought Borges was crazy not to have his best RB on the field. Instead, we only saw Tate play in the (meaningless) non-conference games, and sparingly in others.

Tate is a rare talent. Not only does he posess speed & size, he's got smarts & desire too. This is a guy who graduated HS in December, and immediately enrolled at AU in January so he could attend spring practice. Next season I expect Ben Tate to be declared the starter. I like Brad Lester and love the way he plays full speed and all, but if I'm the OC making the decisions -- Tate is the best RB.

Yes, I thought so initially. I was convinced KI, Lester, Stewart & Smith would be able to handle the load just fine. Who knew KI would get injured so early and have it be a chronic problem throughout the season? After I saw Tate play, I changed my mind.

Then it may not be wise to bet the house... ;)

"The Next Bo" reminds me of the constant "next Bear" references. Thank goodness there are no photos of Brent Fullwood, James Joseph, Stacy Danley, James Bostic, Stephen Davis, Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown or any of the other great Auburn backs leaning up against a goal post with a ghosted out Bo leaning on the other side.

Uh.......I know I will get flamed for this, but as good as Bo was he does not even compare to what Bear did for Bama.

Bo was one of the great ones, but there's no way to compare him to Coach Bryant. And before you tell me to stop living in the past, I will say I am not. Most of the time Bear is always brought up by rival fans, not Bama fans that I know.

"The Next Bo" reminds me of the constant "next Bear" references. Thank goodness there are no photos of Brent Fullwood, James Joseph, Stacy Danley, James Bostic, Stephen Davis, Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown or any of the other great Auburn backs leaning up against a goal post with a ghosted out Bo leaning on the other side.

Uh.......I know I will get flamed for this, but as good as Bo was he does not even compare to what Bear did for Bama.

Bo was one of the great ones, but there's no way to compare him to Coach Bryant. And before you tell me to stop living in the past, I will say I am not. Most of the time Bear is always brought up by rival fans, not Bama fans that I know.

Please stop drinking for at least nine hours before you post, okay?

Honestly you think BO did more for Auburn? I really want to know.

Within the context of the rules, Yes. He created excitement and helped start the tradition of running back U. And helped change the tide of football power in this state. Alabama had a winning tradition before bryant arrived.

And I think you missed the whole point there. He was saying, quit talking about the past and comparing everyone to past icons like Alabama fans do. And trust me, its not opposing fans that keep painting and buying those pictures of coaches leaning against the goalpost with bryant.

Most of the time Bear is always brought up by rival fans, not Bama fans that I know.

I think this may be what GG was mostly referring to. Ever been to campus? Whether he is brought up by name or not, the expectations of that era are still impacting Bama big time.

Most of the time Bear is always brought up by rival fans, not Bama fans that I know.

I think this may be what GG was mostly referring to. Ever been to campus? Whether he is brought up by name or not, the expectations of that era are still impacting Bama big time.

It isn't rivals that wear the checkered hats.

Never saw bear suit up. But he must've had crazy skills to run better than Bo. :lol:

...and its a shame you don't know many bama fans...

If I had my druthers, I'd have Ben starting and have Brad come off the bench for that change of pace, extra gear back. I really like that combination. I think it doesn't work as well the other way around. Once they get used to Brad's speed, Ben won't look quite as fast ( I am NOT saying Ben is slow)....

:au::homer:

Well, he's no Bo Jackson

...and you're no Jack Kennedy! I knew Jack Kennedy!!! :big:

Enrique Davis, I believe, will come in and give add needed competition.

What about Mario? Has everyone forgotten Mario?

One of the top players I'm looking forward to seeing. Nothing but rave reviews from players and coaches. Has the size of a SEC back at 215-220 lbs, has 4.5-4.4 speed, awesome hands, and has a Reggie Bush style to add to his list of credentials. Look for him to be a multi-position guy next year (most likely WR/RB).

I've heard he's a beast...I hope so! B)

Anybody who thinks anybody runs like Bo Jackson, probably never saw Bo Jackson...or forgot what they saw. B)

Agreed. Thanks to some UGA games on tape that some older fans gave me, I have seen several H. Walker tapes and it blows my mind how he ran the way he did with such little passing support.

Using Walker's name as a way to show that what Bo/Walker did in their times may not be seen for awhile

Every year, some UGA fans claim the new RB we just got will be the next H.Walker...makes me laugh a little.

Anybody who thinks anybody runs like Bo Jackson, probably never saw Bo Jackson...or forgot what they saw. B)

Agreed. Thanks to some UGA games on tape that some older fans gave me, I have seen several H. Walker tapes and it blows my mind how he ran the way he did with such little passing support.

Using Walker's name as a way to show that what Bo/Walker did in their times may not be seen for awhile

Every year, some UGA fans claim the new RB we just got will be the next H.Walker...makes me laugh a little.

Although they were physically similiar in regard to size/speed, they looked very different running to me. Granted, I saw far more of Bo than Herschel. I mostly saw Herschel against AU and he didn't have career days, but I would think he'd been stopped for no gain and then realize he'd gained five yards. Herschel seemed to run more effortlessly, Bo seemed to be on a mission with each carry.

Maybe I should have asked you how you did on the reading comprehension part of the ACT instead?

There was no attempt to compare Bo to Bahr. The reference was to the ridiculous penchant you bama fans have of comparing anything and everything to freaking Bahr Bryunt. "That's a dang fine cheeseburger, but it ain't near as good as they were back when Bahr used to get 'em at Rammer Jammers. Back then, they wuz just more meatier."

What I was attempting to say is that I don't want to hear anybody talking about "next Bo" because Bo was one of a kind. We may never see another athlete of his caliber in our lifetime. When we talk about "next Bo" it sounds like you idiots babbling about Perkins, Curry, Stallings, DuBose, Price, Franchione, Shula or Saban being "the next Bahr". You goobers make paintings of these putzes with ghostly images of Bahr looming over them. You post pictures of Bahr as a younger man and get wood over "how much he looks like Shula!!"

Just saying.... And apparently it went right over your head.

And for what it's worth? Bo would break Hershel up into little bitty pieces and use the shards to pick his teeth.

Archived