Auburn football

GalensGhost

#58 T.J. Jackson, was a consistent, good DL for us the past few years, and played with a lot of passion.

SCutak and TJ. Two Opelika players in a row. My Bulldogs have sure been kind to AU over the years! :)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#22 - Tre Smith

He will be remembered for the Iron Bowl and also for the TD he scored on the blocked punt against Florida this year. He was also the best punt returner in Auburn history. (Ok, that may be a stretch)

C'mon! 22 Brent Fullwood!

We're doing them in order. 22 was a long time ago.

#22 - Tre Smith

He will be remembered for the Iron Bowl and also for the TD he scored on the blocked punt against Florida this year. He was also the best punt returner in Auburn history. (Ok, that may be a stretch)

C'mon! 22 Brent Fullwood!

We're doing them in order. 22 was a long time ago.

Sorry! Just catching up.

#49 Kevin Hobbs -- another tough number, but I do remember him starting several games

#49 - Another DB; Nat Ceasar from the 1983 team.

As for the question above, I checked my video. It was Quinton Reese (#86, for future reference) who recovered the crucial fumble in the '97 IB. It was caused by Martavious Houston (#25).

#50 Joe Cope OL

a 50 number for an OL is rare at AU. It seems like the AU LBs coach is old school giving out all the fifty numbers to the LBs in recent years. I would say most O-linemen are stuck with the sexy 65-79 numbers.

SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week (Nov. 14) after the Georgia game ... Played in 11 games, starting each ... Started first 10 games before missing Alabama game with an injury

#50 Mike Pelton DT -

*A four-year letterwinner at Auburn from 1991-94

*First-team All-southeastern Conference and second-team All-American honors in 1994.

*Recipient of the Zeke Smith Award as the team’s Defensive Player of the Year in 1994.

*Once recorded 23 tackles in a game against Vanderbilt, on Oct. 12, 1991

#51 James Willis

All SEC LB. Could lay the wood to opposing offenses. I seem to remember him laying it to David Palmer. Left for the NFL after his Jr. year in 1992. If I remember correctly he was a 3 year starter. (Current AU LB Coach)

#51 Wayne Frazier, who played center 1959-61.

#52 Antonio Coleman -- This was another one I can't think of anyone wearing. If we can get to 54 and 55, I can think of two right away that should be there

Here he is in action during the Cotton Bowl

12049614.jpg

#52- Mark Brown- gave Brodie Croyle his first taste of getting sacked in the Iron Bowl. Brodie probably never dreamed he would get so familiar with the feeling.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the number but I think I'm right. #53 Anthony Harris LB from 92-95. He is among the all-time leaders in Solo tackles and assists.

#54 Dontarrious Thomas

Part of the greatest defensive play in college football history, intercepted a tipped pass from Dansby. Of course, it was ruled incomplete.

#54 Quentin Groves - DE

Made Capps his b**ch and Sarah Jessica Parker his whore in the 2006 Iron Bowl at Jordan-Hare West.

# 55 Takeo Spikes!

Nuff Said!

Can't quarrel with that choice. I'll salute the skinhead, #55 Wayne Bylsma of Opelika. Inside linebacker for Wayne Hall 1989-91 and one tough son of a gun.

#5 Fast Freddie Smith

(I think he wore #5. If I'm wrong, overrule me).

GGhost, Freddie Smith was #31, assuming you mean the linebacker from the Tennessee Valley somewhere who played for Barfield.

Sorry for the belated response, but I came to this thread late, and am just now reading through the whole thing. I like your thread, although we may not finish it before A-Day.

#54 Dontarrious Thomas

Part of the greatest defensive play in college football history, intercepted a tipped pass from Dansby. Of course, it was ruled incomplete.

Actually it was ruled complete but got a 5 yard penalty for illegal forward pass for dansby throwing it back toward thomas. But we still got the ball. didnt help the beating we got took though.

#63 - Jeff Lott

Ignore the rest of this post and see subsequent reply.

I can't find anybody memorable even in the historical books I looked in with the number 63. There's a guy in the 1957 championship photo wearing the number, but no clue as to who he is.

GG, #63 on the 1957 team is Pat Tidmore. I have a book on that team, in case you need any more numbers.

I belive that Auburn's all-time sack leader (at least for one more year) Gerald Robinson wore #98.

Nay, Gerald Robinson wore #95. His teammate Gerald Williams wore #98.

I belive that Auburn's all-time sack leader (at least for one more year) Gerald Robinson wore #98.

Nay, Gerald Robinson wore #95. His teammate Gerald Williams wore #98.

Ehh. One man's Gerald is another man's Gerald.......

# 55 Takeo Spikes!

Nuff Said!

Can't quarrel with that choice. I'll salute the skinhead, #55 Wayne Bylsma of Opelika. Inside linebacker for Wayne Hall 1989-91 and one tough son of a gun.

Great choice! A HS teammmate of mine. But wayne didn't have to skin his head. He couldn't grow hair and has always had the best sense of humor about it. (Always wearing funny wigs)

#57 Mayo Sowell LB - Remember him having a big game as a reserve lb forced into a start with at least one interception against #1 Florida in 2001: one of my favorite games ever

#57 Gilbert Sellers was a deep snapper for Barfield, senior in 1980. An academic standout, he was accepted to vet school.

# 55 Takeo Spikes!

Nuff Said!

Why is everyone forgetting Ben Tanburello? Center's get no love.

I thought of Tambo after I posted, but tend to agree with your sentiment. I notice that three of our greatest centers have yet to be credited - Burkett, Blue, and Banks.

I did post two centers - Sellers and Hudson.

• 2 weeks later...

#60 - Stacy Searels. Think he is coaching at LSU now?

I thought of Tambo after I posted, but tend to agree with your sentiment. I notice that three of our greatest centers have yet to be credited - Burkett, Blue, and Banks.

I did post two centers - Sellers and Hudson.

If we'll keep going, Tamburello will come back around.

I got nothing at the moment for #58 and #59, so I'm moving on to #60.

#60 -- Don Braswell

Played on the 1957 Championship Team

Mike Pucillo-61, a good offensive guard for the Tigers, now plays for the Washington Redskins (I think as a backup).

#61 Zeke Smith

Two time all-american in 1958 and 1959. Outland Trophy winner in 1958.

#62 Lynn Johnson, an OG on the Cribbs-Brooks-Andrews team.

The number 62 has not been overly historic at Auburn. I turned up Morris Savage, a guard on the 1957 Championship team. Morris's legal career surpassed his pigskin efforts, I believe. I think he's been on the board of the Alumni Association.

Archived