CHIZIK TO IOWA STATE

will jima

He will probably have his work cut out for him. It seems that it would be a nearly impossible place to recruit to with the concentration of big schools in the same area.

He's achieved his goal. Good luck, coach and thanks for the good years you gave to AU.

I will put a small bet that Chizik will be announced as the new bama HC later today. The have recognized the need to go away from one of their own and get someone with experience on Tub's staff.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I will put a small bet that Chizik will be announced as the new bama HC later today. The have recognized the need to go away from one of their own and get someone with experience on Tub's staff.

Lunch?

Lunch?

In Huntsville, you got it.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Ok, I will be there either this weekend or next weekend, I can't remember.

I, too, thought Chizik a viable candidate for the other school, but too many reports are coming out of Iowa City that say otherwise.

It's already on the Iowa State website. Reportedly Chizik is flying there now for the press conference.

The Mystery Man = Gene Chizik

By Chris Williams

Publisher

Posted Nov 27, 2006

It now appears that Jamie Pollard has his man, as this morning, John Walters of WOI reported that Texas defensive coordinator Gene Chizik has been hired as Iowa State’s next head football coach.

It now appears that Jamie Pollard has his man, as this morning, John Walters of WOI reported that Texas defensive coordinator Gene Chizik has been hired as Iowa State’s next head football coach.

Chizik’s impressive resume includes stops at Central Florida and Auburn before he got to Texas in 2005. He was named the 2004 Broyles Award winner, which honors the nation's top assistant coach.

Chizik is reportedly on an airplane headed to Ames right now, where he will meet with his new team tonight at 5 p.m. followed by a press conference in Hilton Coliseum tonight at 6 p.m. which is open to the public.

http://iowastate.scout.com/2/594878.html

Ok, I will be there either this weekend or next weekend, I can't remember.

I, too, thought Chizik a viable candidate for the other school, but too many reports are coming out of Iowa City that say otherwise.

I don't get home from Oregon until this coming Sunday.

at Iowa State.

awww man, i like chizik, but now I have to root against him yearly (being from nebraska). too bad. good for him though. I guess he made the right decision for himself by leaving Auburn.

I'm not convinced he got there any faster b/c he was at Texas.

Agree (wait, I agreed with TT!?!?!), but Vince Young got him an National Champinship at Texas and that probably made a difference with his new salary...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...k.2e390c07.html

07:46 PM CST on Monday, November 27, 2006

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

For the third time in three years, Texas coach Mack Brown has a defensive assistant coach moving on to a head-coaching job.

On Monday, Texas co-defensive coordinator Gene Chizik was named the head coach at Iowa State, replacing Dan McCarney, who went 4-8 this season and 56-84 in 12 seasons.

After the 2004 season, Greg Robinson (Syracuse) and Dick Tomey (San Jose State) left as Texas assistants to become head coaches.

"We're flattered that three members of our staff in the last three years have had the opportunity," Brown said in a statement.

Brown said he wouldn't address any staff additions until after the Longhorns' bowl game.

Joe Kines, the defensive coordinator/linebackers coach at Alabama the last four seasons, emerged as a leading candidate to replace Chizik because of his ties to the Texas coaching staff. Kines was named the interim coach at Alabama on Monday after Mike Shula was fired but isn't expected to coach the team past its bowl game.

Kines was the interim head coach at Arkansas in 1992 when Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis was the offensive coordinator for the Razorbacks. Davis and Kines also coached together at Georgia in 1995.

Kines had the No. 1 scoring defense in 2005 and the No. 2 total defense in 2004. This season, Alabama was 18th nationally in total defense (287.6 ypg), ahead of Texas at No. 23 (291.9 ypg). Alabama was 29th in scoring defense (18.0 ppg), just behind Texas at No. 26 (17.8 ppg).

Other possible candidates include Miami Hurricanes defensive coordinator Randy Shannon and Washington Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray, a former Texas All-American.

Brown said co-defensive coordinator Duane Akina would take over the play-calling responsibilities for the defense for Texas' bowl game.

Second-year graduate assistant coach Jeff Koonz, who has worked with Chizik in coaching the linebackers the last two years, would handle the linebackers coaching duties during bowl preparation.

Chizik becomes a first-time head coach at Iowa State. Chizik called the plays for a Texas defense that finished No. 2 nationally against the run (58.8 ypg) and 100th against the pass (233.1 ypg) this season.

"Gene brought some fresh ideas, great energy and enthusiasm and a tireless work ethic to our program," Brown said. "You won't find anyone in our program that has anything but great things to say about Gene.

"He's a bright, young coach who has a tremendous future ahead of him. He'll do a terrific job for Iowa State."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...k.2e390c07.html

07:46 PM CST on Monday, November 27, 2006

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

For the third time in three years, Texas coach Mack Brown has a defensive assistant coach moving on to a head-coaching job.

On Monday, Texas co-defensive coordinator Gene Chizik was named the head coach at Iowa State, replacing Dan McCarney, who went 4-8 this season and 56-84 in 12 seasons.

After the 2004 season, Greg Robinson (Syracuse) and Dick Tomey (San Jose State) left as Texas assistants to become head coaches.

"We're flattered that three members of our staff in the last three years have had the opportunity," Brown said in a statement.

Brown said he wouldn't address any staff additions until after the Longhorns' bowl game.

Joe Kines, the defensive coordinator/linebackers coach at Alabama the last four seasons, emerged as a leading candidate to replace Chizik because of his ties to the Texas coaching staff. Kines was named the interim coach at Alabama on Monday after Mike Shula was fired but isn't expected to coach the team past its bowl game.

Kines was the interim head coach at Arkansas in 1992 when Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis was the offensive coordinator for the Razorbacks. Davis and Kines also coached together at Georgia in 1995.

Kines had the No. 1 scoring defense in 2005 and the No. 2 total defense in 2004. This season, Alabama was 18th nationally in total defense (287.6 ypg), ahead of Texas at No. 23 (291.9 ypg). Alabama was 29th in scoring defense (18.0 ppg), just behind Texas at No. 26 (17.8 ppg).

Other possible candidates include Miami Hurricanes defensive coordinator Randy Shannon and Washington Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray, a former Texas All-American.

Brown said co-defensive coordinator Duane Akina would take over the play-calling responsibilities for the defense for Texas' bowl game.

Second-year graduate assistant coach Jeff Koonz, who has worked with Chizik in coaching the linebackers the last two years, would handle the linebackers coaching duties during bowl preparation.

Chizik becomes a first-time head coach at Iowa State. Chizik called the plays for a Texas defense that finished No. 2 nationally against the run (58.8 ypg) and 100th against the pass (233.1 ypg) this season.

"Gene brought some fresh ideas, great energy and enthusiasm and a tireless work ethic to our program," Brown said. "You won't find anyone in our program that has anything but great things to say about Gene.

"He's a bright, young coach who has a tremendous future ahead of him. He'll do a terrific job for Iowa State."

If Kines had the chance to be DC at Texas or HC at Alabama which would he take? Hint, the answer doesn't start with "A".

Archived