AU Majorettes

1986AUALUM

What in the world has happened to the AU Majorettes? They've been blended into the flag girls and dancers with their hair buns and polyester uniforms. The AU Majorettes have traditionally been the most striking and glamorous girls in the SEC, if not the whole NCAA. And now they have to wear their hair in a bun? They wear long sleeve dresses with zippers up the front? That is not the look of an Auburn majorette. That is not the look of Auburn University. Where are their sequins? Where are their white boots? You can't even pick them out of a crowd anymore. It's not that we don't love flag girls and dancers, but come on. Majorettes have worked years to perfect their talent of TWIRLING. Now they have to twirl flags (which is pretty hard to do if someone forgets to put out your flag, i.e. Arkansas game) and shake pom poms. How is shaking pom poms elevating your skills? These girls have worked hard to get to this level and it is a shame to hide their beauty behind weird, glittery makeup and Lord of the Dance dresses. And they are too talented to have to drop their batons just to pick up a pom pom because everybody else is. These girls deserve better than that and so does Auburn University.

Lady, the first time one of these girls catches a touchdown pass or sacks the opposing quarterback, I'll issue my opinion on what kind of boots they wear and how their hair is done. Until then, this is a football forum.

As the father of two girls, both of whom hope to one day be a part of that glorious band, why don't you just knock it off? Those girls deserve better than your yowling and so does Auburn University.

Well, I don't know, but I don't think the opinion I expressed was quite "yowling". It was just an opinion and I thought a fairly well articulated one. And if you read my comments closely, you might notice that I already said that these girls deserve better. But when AU football recruiters start calling the AU athletic department to complain about how bad the AU majorettes look and how it's hurting recruiting, and when the athletic department is concerned enough to look into it, then it becomes a football issue.

That is a crock! I am sure that all those boys in the end zone (with such a good view of the majorettes) sit on pins and needles because they want to see the majorettes so they can committ to Auburn. They are only coming because of the majorettes who they will never meet or see again (halftime in the locker room) You are stirring this stuff up and you need to leave it alone. Let the band directors do their job. Donate to the band instead of the football team, maybe with a little more money, everyone can wear the same uniform in the band. The majorettes and Tiger Eyes are happy the way things are and tired of hearing what you have been spouting. The flyers this past weekend take the cake. They were the dumbest thing I have ever seen, and I think many people agreed. One man said (when looking at the flyer)" Are they getting rid of the majorettes?', he was told no, so he threw it away and said "Then I don't care, as long as they are on the field." It isn't just boots (which are unsafe with what the majorettes now do (there is proof for this), buns and makeup (no one can see those anyway), you have upset a lot of people and those on this forum don't know the whole story. It goes deeper than these little posts!!! Leave our girls alone and get a life.

Ma'am....I admire your grit.

Thanks. This has been quite an initiation.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who Cares!!!!!!!!

40-something year old former majorettes with Desperate Housewives syndrome.

Now now TIS.....If she looks like Terry Hatcher there may be some room for discussion. :big:

I do look better than Terri Hatcher and who said anything about being 40? That's the most insulting thing I've read yet. And I've read some pretty insulting things.

Umm...going by your screenname, unless you graduated AU when you were 19, then you got to be at least 40 lady. Unless you are lying about being an alum.

Who Cares!!!!!!!!

Now now TIS.....If she looks like Terry Hatcher there may be some room for discussion. :big:

I do look better than Terri Hatcher and who said anything about being 40? That's the most insulting thing I've read yet. And I've read some pretty insulting things.

I'm insulted that you think being 40 is insulting. See? Anyone can play the oversensitive whinybutt game!

Yes. I can see your point. Let's stop now before somebody gets hurt.

Who Cares!!!!!!!!

Just going by your screen name, honey. If you graduated in 1986, you'd have to be at least 40 if not 42.

What in the world has happened to the AU Majorettes? They've been blended into the flag girls and dancers with their hair buns and polyester uniforms. The AU Majorettes have traditionally been the most striking and glamorous girls in the SEC, if not the whole NCAA. And now they have to wear their hair in a bun? They wear long sleeve dresses with zippers up the front? That is not the look of an Auburn majorette. That is not the look of Auburn University. Where are their sequins? Where are their white boots? You can't even pick them out of a crowd anymore. It's not that we don't love flag girls and dancers, but come on. Majorettes have worked years to perfect their talent of TWIRLING. Now they have to twirl flags (which is pretty hard to do if someone forgets to put out your flag, i.e. Arkansas game) and shake pom poms. How is shaking pom poms elevating your skills? These girls have worked hard to get to this level and it is a shame to hide their beauty behind weird, glittery makeup and Lord of the Dance dresses. And they are too talented to have to drop their batons just to pick up a pom pom because everybody else is. These girls deserve better than that and so does Auburn University.

Lady, the first time one of these girls catches a touchdown pass or sacks the opposing quarterback, I'll issue my opinion on what kind of boots they wear and how their hair is done. Until then, this is a football forum.

As the father of two girls, both of whom hope to one day be a part of that glorious band, why don't you just knock it off? Those girls deserve better than your yowling and so does Auburn University.

Well, I don't know, but I don't think the opinion I expressed was quite "yowling". It was just an opinion and I thought a fairly well articulated one. And if you read my comments closely, you might notice that I already said that these girls deserve better. But when AU football recruiters start calling the AU athletic department to complain about how bad the AU majorettes look and how it's hurting recruiting, and when the athletic department is concerned enough to look into it, then it becomes a football issue.

That is a crock! I am sure that all those boys in the end zone (with such a good view of the majorettes) sit on pins and needles because they want to see the majorettes so they can committ to Auburn. They are only coming because of the majorettes who they will never meet or see again (halftime in the locker room) You are stirring this stuff up and you need to leave it alone. Let the band directors do their job. Donate to the band instead of the football team, maybe with a little more money, everyone can wear the same uniform in the band. The majorettes and Tiger Eyes are happy the way things are and tired of hearing what you have been spouting. The flyers this past weekend take the cake. They were the dumbest thing I have ever seen, and I think many people agreed. One man said (when looking at the flyer)" Are they getting rid of the majorettes?', he was told no, so he threw it away and said "Then I don't care, as long as they are on the field." It isn't just boots (which are unsafe with what the majorettes now do (there is proof for this), buns and makeup (no one can see those anyway), you have upset a lot of people and those on this forum don't know the whole story. It goes deeper than these little posts!!! Leave our girls alone and get a life.

Just for the record he wasn't talking to you.

Then post some pics, please. This board has a policy demanding proof/links to support any rumors you start. :big:

Then post some pics, please. This board has a policy demanding proof/links to support any rumors you start. :big:

It would be best if we could compare then and now pictures.

This wasn't an initiation. This was reality. Come on this board and babble about good old days that only you can remember, and well, you will reap what you sow.

Actually, come to think of it, you certainly are all fired up about this issue - were you even a majorette in your 80's Auburn glory days? Or are you getting your grannies in a twist about an issue you know nothing about? If you never twirled while maintaining the most fake smile this side of the Miss America pagent (where former twirlers go to die), then where do you come off presuming to know or even understand the current situation??

So in giving you the benefit of the doubt, I am sure you remember your tasseled boots days with fondness but I would think that the girls who currently occupy your (allegedly) former position probably had some say so in the changes - and if they didn't and are unhappy with it, then they know what to do. LSU and UAT also have baton babes - if this is a matter of skill and not of school pride, then I am sure their talents would be welcomed elsewhere.

To even suggest for one minute that what an AU majorette puts on her head or her backside or holds in her hands has one iota to do with recruiting a football player is beyond stupid. I am not even sure the recruits are left in the stands during halftime - they are probably taken out to a party room, or taken to the locker room to observe half time adjustments. If Tubby thought majorettes were critical to recruitment, he would take a band director on scouting trips... :rolleyes:

Just for the record he wasn't talking to you.

Yes, thanks, I got that. More than once. I thought I was grittier than I obviously was. My bad.

Sorry to tease you with the Terri Hatcher thing. But, I think it's safer for all concerned if we continue going with the old hag, nanny sewing circle, has-been trying to relive the glory days ex-majorette thing. Although, please give me a little credit for being more creative. 1986 could be the year I graduated from high school or the number on my car tag or how much money I have in the bank. And ALUM could stand for something else. I could even be a current majorette just trying to find out what everybody thought. It's been fun chatting with you.

Sorry to tease you with the Terri Hatcher thing. But, I think it's safer for all concerned if we continue going with the old hag, nanny sewing circle, has-been trying to relive the glory days ex-majorette thing. Although, please give me a little credit for being more creative. 1986 could be the year I graduated from high school or the number on my car tag or how much money I have in the bank. And ALUM could stand for something else. I could even be a current majorette just trying to find out what everybody thought. It's been fun chatting with you.

or you could be not nearly as entertaining as you think you are.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Yeah, 1986 stands for the year you were born.

You are very transparent, you are not a current majorette, and your agenda is very apparent.

At least contribute to some other topics before claiming that you don't have an agenda.

Or maybe you're just an instigator. Or maybe a bammer in disguise. Or maybe a resident of Bryce with an internet connection. The past is the past, let it be. Things change, you are not in control, you do not make decisions for the Auburn band so stop trying to start crap because you have nothing better else to do. Get a life. The very fact that you are using this board to try and create a division is unacceptable. You should be ashamed of yourself. I invite you to go elsewhere.

And ALUM could stand for something else.

Well let's see.....Alum powder, found amongst spices at most grocery stores, is used in pickling recipes as a preservative, to maintain crispness, and as an ingredient in some play dough recipes. It is also commonly cited as a home remedy or pain relief for canker sores.

Is this it?

Archived