AU Majorettes

1986AUALUM

What in the world has happened to the AU Majorettes? They've been blended into the flag girls and dancers with their hair buns and polyester uniforms. The AU Majorettes have traditionally been the most striking and glamorous girls in the SEC, if not the whole NCAA. And now they have to wear their hair in a bun? They wear long sleeve dresses with zippers up the front? That is not the look of an Auburn majorette. That is not the look of Auburn University. Where are their sequins? Where are their white boots? You can't even pick them out of a crowd anymore. It's not that we don't love flag girls and dancers, but come on. Majorettes have worked years to perfect their talent of TWIRLING. Now they have to twirl flags (which is pretty hard to do if someone forgets to put out your flag, i.e. Arkansas game) and shake pom poms. How is shaking pom poms elevating your skills? These girls have worked hard to get to this level and it is a shame to hide their beauty behind weird, glittery makeup and Lord of the Dance dresses. And they are too talented to have to drop their batons just to pick up a pom pom because everybody else is. These girls deserve better than that and so does Auburn University.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in all, it could be worse. They could have been wearing bikinis and houndstooth hats. :puke:

Let me see......Hot girls wearing skimpy red outfits or girls dressed in orange looking like a Star Wars character? Im not sure which one I would take..... :big:

What in the world has happened to the AU Majorettes? They've been blended into the flag girls and dancers with their hair buns and polyester uniforms. The AU Majorettes have traditionally been the most striking and glamorous girls in the SEC, if not the whole NCAA. And now they have to wear their hair in a bun? They wear long sleeve dresses with zippers up the front? That is not the look of an Auburn majorette. That is not the look of Auburn University. Where are their sequins? Where are their white boots? You can't even pick them out of a crowd anymore. It's not that we don't love flag girls and dancers, but come on. Majorettes have worked years to perfect their talent of TWIRLING. Now they have to twirl flags (which is pretty hard to do if someone forgets to put out your flag, i.e. Arkansas game) and shake pom poms. How is shaking pom poms elevating your skills? These girls have worked hard to get to this level and it is a shame to hide their beauty behind weird, glittery makeup and Lord of the Dance dresses. And they are too talented to have to drop their batons just to pick up a pom pom because everybody else is. These girls deserve better than that and so does Auburn University.

Pics: majorettes, dancers, and flags.

EDIT: After reconsideration, I removed the pics I had posted because I do not have permission to post them.

Either you didn't go to the game, or you just needed a place to complain about something today. Because none of these pics (taken Saturday) sound anything like what you are talking about.

What you need to do is send some email to the band, because all you're doing right now is complaining.

I agree wholeheartedly. I brought this topic up before as well!!! Those girls out there now look RIDICULOUS!!! The old Auburn majorettes had a classic look.... Why get rid of that???

Pics: majorettes, dancers, and flags.

meh...

seriously. AU can do better. They got some hotties down there. I guess theyd all rather watch the game and chill in the stands at the half.

The Tiger Eyes is a great idea. It shows that nobody is better than the other, and that they are all unified. Does a shoe define who a person is? Does a sequin define a person? What I don't get is y'all want to say Auburn is a family and not a place, and then when some organization tries to enstill that philosophy into the organization you tell them that it's stupid and ruins tradition. The Tiger Eyes is a great idea, and why is it that y'all can't support that.

Band is a team .. no? Would you have Kenny Irons, Tray Blackmon, Brandon Cox, and Courtney Taylor wear an orange jersey while the rest are wearing blue? It's the same idea.

The Tiger Eyes is a great idea. It shows that nobody is better than the other, and that they are all unified. Does a shoe define who a person is? Does a sequin define a person? What I don't get is y'all want to say Auburn is a family and not a place, and then when some organization tries to enstill that philosophy into the organization you tell them that it's stupid and ruins tradition. The Tiger Eyes is a great idea, and why is it that y'all can't support that.

Band is a team .. no? Would you have Kenny Irons, Tray Blackmon, Brandon Cox, and Courtney Taylor wear an orange jersey while the rest are wearing blue? It's the same idea.

Well to carry that argument to its natural conclusion, why dress the Tiger Eyes in a different uniform from the band at all? If they're all exactly the same and one big family or one big team, why not just put those girls in those long sleeves, long pants, hot wool uniforms that the band wears and then EVERYBODY CAN LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME. And what is this idea about nobody being better than anybody else? Is Kenny Irons better than Tre Smith? Is Brandon Cox better than his backup? The flag girls, the majorettes, and the dancers all have different talents and different looks. Does everybody in your family look identical to each other? Do you dress just like your brothers and sisters? And it's hard enough for Brandon Cox to find his receivers in the same colored jerseys, much less different colors. Please. It's not the same. And besides that, the Auburn majorettes have been at Auburn for about 50 years, the flag girls about 20, and the dancers, one and a half. They are not the same.

Lady, the first time one of these girls catches a touchdown pass or sacks the opposing quarterback, I'll issue my opinion on what kind of boots they wear and how their hair is done. Until then, this is a football forum.

As the father of two girls, both of whom hope to one day be a part of that glorious band, why don't you just knock it off? Those girls deserve better than your yowling and so does Auburn University.

You know, now that I think of it, you are right. The players are all forced to wear the same color jerseys, and it is hard for the QB to tell them apart. Maybe CT can keep the blue jersey and the others then would have to wear ORANGE jerseys.

Yes, I said it, and you can't take it back...

ORANGE JERSEYS. Now, I feel much better.

Thanks 86.

I believe my eyes are playing tricks on me. I just read a thread in the FOOTBALL FORUM about some gripes about the way the majorettes are dressed and the fact they are not twirling batons. Heck, as a father of a teenage girl that is in the band herself, I like the idea of watching the band without seeing young girls running around in sequin laced bathing suits on the field. I know some of our young single, and probably some married guys like to see that, but not me. Kudos to the AU band director for putting some class into the band!

If the girls are out there doing it, that means they want to do it. What is it to you? You are not the one out there doing the work. For crying out loud lady, get a life.

Do we need to move this to the ATC forum before a guest reads this post and wonders what the heck kind of football fans are we?

Dumbest. Topic. Ever.

Concur...someone with controls needs to move this.

Dumbest. Topic. Ever.

I agree. Furthermore this doesn't belong in the football forum since it is "Other Things Considered."

But before it goes i will say I think the whole band looked great, did a fantastic job. Hell of a lot better than they looked several years ago. As proof, I evnn watch the half time show this year.

I went with my first instinct, as it seems that others agreed with, I moved this stupid thread. I did not even leave a link to the move in the football forum. :lol:

Lady, the first time one of these girls catches a touchdown pass or sacks the opposing quarterback, I'll issue my opinion on what kind of boots they wear and how their hair is done. Until then, this is a football forum.

As the father of two girls, both of whom hope to one day be a part of that glorious band, why don't you just knock it off? Those girls deserve better than your yowling and so does Auburn University.

Well, I don't know, but I don't think the opinion I expressed was quite "yowling". It was just an opinion and I thought a fairly well articulated one. And if you read my comments closely, you might notice that I already said that these girls deserve better. But when AU football recruiters start calling the AU athletic department to complain about how bad the AU majorettes look and how it's hurting recruiting, and when the athletic department is concerned enough to look into it, then it becomes a football issue.

Well, I don't know, but I don't think the opinion I expressed was quite "yowling". It was just an opinion and I thought a fairly well articulated one. And if you read my comments closely, you might notice that I already said that these girls deserve better. But when AU football recruiters start calling the AU athletic department to complain about how bad the AU majorettes look and how it's hurting recruiting, and when the athletic department is concerned enough to look into it, then it becomes a football issue.

I'm not going to get into a urinating match with you. It's pretty clear to me you have an axe to grind. You've ground it. Move on. The girls deserve better than to have someone like you come on here and snipe at them, that's my opinion.

Speaking as a former high school football coach who had more than one player recruited by D1 schools, I can assure you that the last thing a recruit gives a fig in a tree about is what kind of boots the majorettes wear or whether or not their hair is in a bun. Maybe that's important to you and some of the other nannies in your sewing circle, but it's hardly the kind of thing that football fans, recruits or the athletic department is interested in. Please take your nattering to a nattering board.

Guest Tigrinum Major

If kids are coming to school because of how our majorettes look, we have bigger problems.

I think that if the football team powers that be wanted them to come out in Stanley McClover style dreds next week, a few girls would be looking into hair extentions about Tuesday.

Do we even have a nattering board?

:roflol: Why would the majorettes hurt football recruiting? You were joking right? I hope you were not serious, but if you were, then you really are out of touch with reality.

I can see it on the front of the sports pages now..."Blue Chip recruit chooses UAT over AU because he did not like the way the AU majorettes were dressed".

Like I said, if the girls are happy with the way they contribute, then what is it to you? Let it go. This is not the 1986 AU Marching Band. This is 20 years later! You think CTT is going to coach like CPD did 20 years ago? Just like offensive gameplans and defensive schemes change through the years, I would guess band performances do also. Instead of being negative, just support the band of the school you graduated from instead of trying to tear it down just because you think your version was better then the latest version.

... But when AU football recruiters start calling the AU athletic department to complain about how bad the AU majorettes look and how it's hurting recruiting, and when the athletic department is concerned enough to look into it, then it becomes a football issue.

You're kidding, right? "AU football recruiters" are the coaching staff. No wonder we lost to Arkansas!

Well, I don't think my comments could quite be characterized as "yowling". It was just an opinion. And, if you actually read my comments, you might notice that I already said that these girls deserved better. But when AU athletic recruiters call the athletic department complaining about the look of the AU majorettes and how it's hurting recruiting, and the AU athletic department is concerned enough to check into it, then it becomes a football issue.

Archived