10.21.24 Football Articles

aubiefifty

al.com

Auburn NFL roundup: Anders Carlson comes back with career-long kick

Updated: Oct. 21, 2024, 12:03 a.m.|Published: Oct. 20, 2024, 11:51 p.m.

7–9 minutes

Anders Carlson returned to the NFL on Sunday with the longest field goal of his career.

In the San Francisco 49ers’ 28-18 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, Carlson connected on a 55-yarder that opened Sunday’s scoring with 1:06 left in the first quarter at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California. It supplanted a 53-yarder that Carlson made as a rookie with the Green Bay Packers in 2023 as his longest NFL field goal.

The 55-yard field goal was Carlson’s first attempt in a game that counted since he missed a 41-yard field goal on the same field in the second round of the NFC playoffs with 6:18 remaining in what turned out to be 24-21 loss for the Packers to the 49ers.

Carlson was released by Green Bay at the end of the preseason and had been out of football until San Francisco signed him for its practice squad on Tuesday. Having lost a kicker to injuries sustained making tackles on kickoffs in each of the previous two games, the 49ers elevated Carlson from their practice squad to make him eligible to play against the Chiefs.

Carlson also made a 24-yard field goal as time expired in the first half.

But after San Francisco opened the second-half scoring with a touchdown with 10:29 left in the third quarter, Carlson’s extra-point attempt hit the left upright and was no good. In 2023, Carlson became the first rookie in NFL history to make a field goal in 17 regular-season games. But with the playoffs included, he also had the most misses on extra points with six and on total kicks with 13 in the league last season.

Carlson was among the 18 former Auburn players who got on the field on the seventh Sunday of the NFL’s 105th season.

State NFL roundup: Jameis Winston critical of cheering Cleveland fans

Alabama NFL roundup: Jahmyr Gibbs ‘a weapon’ for Detroit Lions

Jalen Hurts makes plays as Eagles win Saquon Barkley Revenge Game

In the other Sunday games:

Jacksonville Jaguars 32, New England Patriots 16

· Jaguars running back Tank Bigsby ran for 118 yards and two touchdowns on 26 carries. Bigsby established career highs for rushing yards and rushing attempts (bettering 101 yards and 13 carries) and matched his career high with two touchdowns. Bigsby scored on a 1-yard run as the Jaguars took a 14-10 lead with 3:32 left in the first half and scored the game’s final touchdown on a 4-yard run with 1:41 remaining.

RELATED: TANK BIGSBY TURNS IN ANOTHER CAREER GAME FOR JAGUARS

· Patriots defensive tackle Marcus Harris (Park Crossing) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

· Jonathan Jones started at cornerback for the Patriots. Jones made two tackles.

· Jaguars safety Daniel Thomas (Lee-Montgomery) did not record any stats.

Seattle Seahawks 34, Atlanta Falcons 14

· Derick Hall started at outside linebacker for the Seahawks. Hall made one tackle, registered one quarterback hit and returned a fumble recovery 36 yards for a touchdown as Seattle took a 31-14 lead with 12:46 left to play. The fumble recovery and touchdown were the first of Hall’s NFL career.

RELATED: FORMER AUBURN LINEBACKER SCORES HIS FIRST NFL TOUCHDOWN

· Nehemiah Pritchett (Jackson) started at cornerback for the Seahawks. A fifth-round draft choice on April 27, Pritchett made his first NFL start on Sunday. He made five tackles.

Buffalo Bills 34, Tennessee Titans 10

· Titans defensive tackle Marlon Davidson (Greenville) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.

· Roger McCreary (Williamson) started at cornerback for the Titans. McCreary did not record any stats.

Cincinnati Bengals 21, Cleveland Browns 14

· Bengals guard Tashawn Manning is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

· Bengals defensive tackle Justin Rogers is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

Green Bay Packers 24, Houston Texans 22

· Packers quarterback Malik Willis dressed for the game but did not play.

· Packers defensive tackle Colby Wooden made two tackles and registered one quarterback hit.

· Texans offensive tackle Kilian Zierer is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

Indianapolis Colts 16, Miami Dolphins 10

· Dolphins wide receiver Anthony Schwartz is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.

· Colts cornerback Jaylin Simpson is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

· Braden Smith started at right offensive tackle for the Colts.

Detroit Lions 31, Minnesota Vikings 29

· Carlton Davis started at cornerback for the Lions. Davis made three tackles.

Philadelphia Eagles 28, New York Giants 3

· Eagles offensive lineman Jack Driscoll did not record any stats. Philadelphia elevated Driscoll from its practice squad to make him eligible to play.

· Darius Slayton started at wide receiver for the Giants. Slayton had an 11-yard reception.

· Eagles tight end C.J. Uzomah is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

Los Angeles Rams 20, Las Vegas Raiders 15

· Raiders kicker Daniel Carlson made five field goals for the third time in his career. Carlson also kicked five field goals in the Raiders’ 36-33 victory over the Dallas Cowboys on Nov. 25, 2021, and the Raiders’ 35-32 victory over the Los Angeles Chargers on Jan. 9, 2022. In both those games, Carlson ended the contest with an overtime field goal. On Sunday, Carlson connected from 38, 47, 38, 27 and 27 yards.

· Raiders tight end John Samuel Shenker did not record any stats.

Washington Commanders 40, Carolina Panthers 7

· Derrick Brown is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.

· Noah Igbinoghene (Hewitt-Trussville) started at cornerback for the Commanders. Igbinoghene tied his career high with six tackles. He also had six tackles in a 38-33 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals on Sept. 23.

· Panthers linebacker Chandler Wooten set a career high with six tackles in his 20th NFL game.

Pittsburgh Steelers 37, New York Jets 15

· Steelers defensive tackle Montravius Adams did not record any stats.

· Steelers outside linebacker Eku Leota is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

· Jamien Sherwood started at linebacker for the Jets. Sherwood led New York with nine tackles.

Week 7 started on Thursday night, when the Denver Broncos defeated the New Orleans Saints 33-10.

RELATED: BO NIX, KOOL-AID MCKINSTRY MEET AGAIN IN THE NFL

Week 7 concludes on Monday, when the Baltimore Ravens and Tampa Bay Buccaneers square off at 7:15 p.m. CDT at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, and the Los Angeles Chargers and Arizona Cardinals meet at 8 p.m. at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona. ABC and ESPN will televise the Ravens-Bucs game, and ESPN+ will televise the Chargers-Cardinals game.

FOR MORE OF AL.COM’S COVERAGE OF THE NFL, GO TO OUR NFL PAGE

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AmarkG1.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

What’s next for Auburn football? What to know about Kentucky

Published: Oct. 20, 2024, 2:45 p.m.

~3 minutes

By

Jerry Humphrey III | jhumphreyiii@al.com

Saturday’s loss to Missouri came to no surprise to the Auburn faithful as self-inflicted mistakes was the main catalyst in the 21-17 defeat.

Following the bye week, the goal for the Tigers was to have things cleaned for the Missouri game. Now at 2-5 overall and 0-4 in the conference, Auburn just wants to close out games and find new ways to win.

Week 9 state college football schedule

College football TV schedule for Week 9 of 2024 season

Alabama football is falling, and Auburn can’t get up. Why Nick Saban is to blame.

“I just think that, for so long, we’ve been talking about a break going our way. I felt like, with that muffed punt, we got the break that we were longing for,” Eugene Asante said after the Missouri game. “But it’s on us to continue to play, continue to execute in those moments and not be satisfied until it’s 0:00. As for me, I’m just going to address the team and get prepared for Kentucky.”

Auburn travels to Lexington, Ky., to face the Kentucky Wildcats who are coming off its second straight conference loss.

Kentucky committed three turnovers and saw five touchdowns scored by Florida running back Jadan Baugh. The loss 48-20 loss to Florida puts Kentucky at 3-4 on the season.

This will be Auburn’s final road game out of state with the season finale being in Tuscaloosa, Al. for the Iron Bowl.

“We’ve got five games guaranteed to us. So, it’s five opportunities to go play football. And so, I just believe it’s never for nothing,” Payton Thorne said after the Missouri game. “If you’ve got these opportunities in front of you -- whether you’re a guy who might leave after the year, a guy who this is your last year in college football, any situation that you might be in, you might as well give it everything you got. Because any direction you go, you’ll never regret fighting and not quitting.”

Television and Radio Broadcast info

Auburn’s matchup with Kentucky will be televised on the SEC Network at 6:45 p.m. The radio broadcast will be featured on the Auburn Sports Network.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

Former Auburn linebacker scores his first NFL touchdown

Updated: Oct. 20, 2024, 3:12 p.m.|Published: Oct. 20, 2024, 3:00 p.m.

2–3 minutes

Seattle Seahawks outside linebacker Derick Hall (58) celebrates with teammates after scoring a touchdown during an NFL game against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024, at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.(AP Photo/Brynn Anderson)

By

Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

Seattle Seahawks outside linebacker Derick Hall recovered a fumble for the first time in his NFL career on Sunday, and he turned it into his first NFL touchdown.

The former Auburn standout picked up a loose football and ran 36 yards for a touchdown as the Seahawks took a 31-14 lead over the Falcons with 12:46 to play at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.

Seattle outside linebacker Boye Mafe had separated Falcons quarterback Kirk Cousins from the football on a sack, and Hall pounced on the ball before it could roll out of bounds.

Seattle went on to a 34-14 victory over the Falcons.

Hall is in his second NFL season after joining the Seahawks in the second round of the 2023 draft. After playing in every game as a rookie, Hall has become a starter this season. Sunday’s game was his fifth in a row in Seattle’s lineup.

State NFL roundup: Jameis Winston critical of cheering Cleveland fans

Auburn NFL roundup: Anders Carlson comes back with career-long kick

Alabama NFL roundup: Jahmyr Gibbs ‘a weapon’ for Detroit Lions

FOR MORE OF AL.COM’S COVERAGE OF THE NFL, GO TO OUR NFL PAGE

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

wow.super slim pickings this morning. tigerland did not update.

If you want to bask in the glow of championship level athletics at Auburn, get behind the Golf program, the Soccer program, the Volleyball program, the Equestrian program and the Basketball program up until March Madness. 

I also think Baseball will be much improved. 

Edited by autigeremt
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

If you want to bask in the glow of championship level athletics at Auburn, get behind the Golf program, the Soccer program, the Volleyball program, the Equestrian program and the Basketball program up until March Madness. 

I also think Baseball will be much improved. 

auburn basketball plays furman sunday for charity for the hurricane relief. i think it is in south carolina and tickets are fifteen bucks..........

al.com

What challenges does Kentucky bring to Auburn football? Hugh Freeze on Wildcats defense

Updated: Oct. 21, 2024, 1:10 p.m.|Published: Oct. 21, 2024, 1:08 p.m.

3–4 minutes

By

Jerry Humphrey III | jhumphreyiii@al.com

Following Auburn football’s collapse to Missouri last weekend, Hugh Freeze addressed the media looking ahead to the Tigers matchup against Kentucky.

Freeze started by giving Kentucky coach Mark Stoops his credit for the success he’s seen throughout his career.

“First to coach Stoops I think he’s one of the best in the business,” Freeze said. “I think he gets more out of his teams year in and year out. I like him as an individual and he does a great job coaching.”

He added the challenges the Wildcats defense presents to the Tigers. Junior defensive tackle Deone Walker and Octavious Oxendine were players Freeze touted heavily while assessing Kentucky.

“But this defensive front, it starts there, they’re the real deal. [Walker] is probably a top-15 pick. [Oxendine] is pretty dang salty, too,” Freeze said. “The linebackers are really talented, they can run in the secondary, it’s one of the better defenses that we’ve seen.”

Kentucky is coming off a 48-20 loss to Florida where the defense saw five touchdowns scored by Florida running back Jadan Baugh.

Even though the Wildcats have dropped their last two conference games, Freeze knows that this weekend features another high-level matchup.

“Well, you know, I know Coach Stoops, he will not be happy with their performance, and they will be working on fitting the run this week like they have every other game,” Freeze said. “I mean, that is a total outlier, which, it happens in college football. You’re coaching kids still, and it’s just, that hasn’t been the case. If you go look at the rushing stats against them on all the other teams, Georgia included all of them, they’re not that. So, I don’t make too much of that game. I hope they play like that, but it’s probably doubtful. I think Lexington at night and the home game for them will probably get their best.”

This season Kentucky held Georgia to only 102 rushing yards averaging 3.4 yards per rush. In the victory over Ole Miss, they held the Rebels to 92 yards averaging 3.2 yards per rush.

Jarquez Hunter leads the ground game for Auburn with 585 rushing yards averaging 6.0 yards per rush. Against Missouri he was held to only 57 yards and Freeze credited that to the Missouri defense.

“They are pretty dang good. That’s a very mature defensive front. I think they’re really, really solid. Outside of the one game, the Texas A&M game, their stats are top three or four in everything,” Freeze said. “It’s a really good defense that not many people have shredded. Could we have blocked things a little differently and better? Sure, but they’re teaching their guys to get off blocks also. I thought he ran it effectively enough for us to be balanced and have a chance to win the game.”

Auburn’s matchup with Kentucky will be televised Saturday on the SEC Network at 6:45 p.m.

al.com

Goodman: Is Auburn or Alabama in better shape for the future?

Updated: Oct. 21, 2024, 8:54 a.m.|Published: Oct. 21, 2024, 8:25 a.m.

9–11 minutes

Note: Week 9 of the college football season is here. Make your picks for Joe vs. the Pro and the Hero using this link or with the embedded form at the bottom of the column. Each week, winners of the 6-0 Challenge will be celebrated in Joe’s weekly newsletter, “SPORTS! Happy Hour.”

This is an opinion column.

These are dysfunctional days for football in the state of Alabama. Emailers are asking if I miss Bryan Harsin. At Alabama, the mood suddenly feels even darker. The mailbag is erupting like a level 10 active volcano. We sally forth together.

Babu Mac in Mwanza, Tanzania, writes…

If “flopping” is the verb that applies to and describes Alabama and their coaching staff, what in the world of Roget’s Thesaurus could possibly be applied to Auburn and its coaching staff?

The complete mismanagement of the fourth quarter in the Oklahoma and Missouri games renders me speechless … almost.

I believe these numbers are correct. After 20 games. Bryan Harsin was 9-11 and 4-8 in the SEC. Hugh Freeze is 8-12 and 3-9 in the SEC. Harsin lost game 21 and was fired.

Let’s also admit that AU has better players than last year, and better players than Harsin had in his Year Two. Which brings me to … WHAT THE HECK???! And that also brings me to this question, or observation:

Why does the press seem so reluctant, even reticent, to openly criticize Freeze? From the “powers to be”, Freeze is on a longer “leash” than Harsin.

But wait, there’s more.

This issue was discussed on air during the game telecast, the offensive play calling.

Nix calls plays on 1st and 2nd down, Austin on 3rd and 4th, and Freeze is in the mix.

Play calling by committee? Is this the ruling Triumvirate or Troika, or the three stooges incarnate?

ANSWER: It’s always great to receive emails from Mac in Tanzania. He never misses and sometimes teaches us words in Swahili. “Babu” means grandpa. In his email, Mac also called himself a scary old man in Swahili — Mzee Mweope — but he can’t be any more horrifying than the state of college football in Alabama.

Sportswriters love to use stats to craft an opinion or build a narrative, but, to quote the great Booger McFarland, stats are like bikinis. They don’t show everything.

Comparing the records of Harsin and Freeze is fine, but it’s kinda like comparing a previously loved automobile to a used car that caused a 12-car pile up on I-20. Harsin is the worst coach in SEC history. He didn’t win those games in his first season. Quarterback Bo Nix won those games. Being the worst coach in SEC history, Harsin then ran Nix off.

I’ve been plenty critical of Freeze for his decision to save money on a quarterback this season. But after the Harsin-induced meltdown of Auburn football, Freeze and Auburn’s decision makers knew this was a two-year rebuild. Auburn has some pretty deep pockets, but there’s a limit to Freeze’s spending power. If he thought Auburn had a chance at a title this season, then maybe quarterbacks Diego Pavia (New Mexico state to Vanderbilt) or Cam Ward (Washington State to Miami) would be on the Plains.

Oregon is the new No.1-ranked team in college football and the reason for that is because Oregon is among the top three teams in the country in purchasing power for its roster. Phil Knight, the founder of Nike, wanted his Ducks to make a big splash in the Big Ten. Mission accomplished. As my friend in Oregon, columnist John Canzano, likes write, this season is all a big prestige play for Knight. But look at the top eight teams this week in the AP Poll. It’s a direct reflection of the biggest spenders in the game.

Auburn and Alabama are big spenders, too. Harsin openly said he wasn’t going to buy players. Now he’s not a coach anymore and instead tweets out conspiracy theories full time. NIL robbed Saban of his super powers as a recruiter so he retired and is doing just fine for himself. But talk is cheap, Nick. Any hack with a byline knows that. Is the future brighter for Alabama or Auburn? Remember, schools can’t fire coaches anymore at the first sign of trouble. Think about all the money that’s invested in these rosters. If Auburn were to fire Freeze tomorrow, then Auburn’s boosters would be on the hook for Freeze’s buyout, a massive contract for a new coach, money for a new coaching staff … AND about $15 million for a new roster.

The same goes for Alabama, which suddenly looks like it might lose three or more games this season for the first time since 2010.

Freeze’s 2025 recruiting class is ranked in the Top 5 after this past weekend. In order, here’s the top 10: Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Texas, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Oregon and Southern Cal. It’s a direct reflection of the spending power among college football’s top-tier programs. If Freeze at Auburn and coach Kalen DeBoer at Alabama begin losing recruits before December, then we’ll know real trouble is on the horizon. At this point, I expect Auburn to keep adding more players.

As for the best way to describe the two teams. Alabama is to flopping this season as Auburn is to tanking.

I’m beginning to think that Auburn is in a better position than Alabama for next season. DeBoer needs his own players on the roster. Freeze is almost two years into his rebuild.

Clark in Trussville writes …

The Flop Play sort of gives a whole new meaning to the term “Roll” Tide, doesn’t it?

Rick in Dover, N.J., writes …

Here we go again. Back to the Shula days. I had this buried at the back of my closet and it’s time to bring it out of retirement. Alabama is on a path that many of the younger generation of Tide fans haven’t yet experienced. Roll Tide!

Alabama's players are younger than this T-shirt.Rick in Dover, N.J.

Darrell from Tuscaloosa writes …

Have to admit I’m ignorant when it comes to the NIL. How does the NIL build team unity?

Never mind, it doesn’t.

I thought that the NFL players had contracts. So, why can a college athlete “jump ship” because … oh, because he can. Okay, maybe I get it. Back in the day, Bama had the “Taj Mahal,” but the mighty NCAA limited athletic residency to 49 percent because it wasn’t fair to the non-athletic student. I guess “all is fair in love and war” applies to the NIL.

Let’s assume (hypothetically) that you’re a tight end with a $20,000 NIL portfolio. How enthusiastic are you about blocking for the quarterback sweep when the quarterback drove his Lamborghini to the stadium? Personally, I think college is a screwed up program with some major issues!

There’s no:

1. Loyalty

2. Commitment

3. Integrity

4. Devotion

I know, they all mean the same thing. Just saying.

ANSWER: College football in its current state is an unregulated version of the NFL. In a lot of ways, coaching in college is now even harder than coaching in the NFL. In the NFL, there are contracts and contracts keep people accountable. That’s how it works in the real world. In college — definitely not the real world — high school recruits are paid based on potential. When people don’t have to do anything to earn a paycheck, then the conditions are perfect for entitlement.

I’m not saying that all of the players in college have entitlement issues. I’m just saying that coaches now have to be counselors, psychologists, wizards and shamans, too.

The issue isn’t a tight end not blocking for his quarterback because of the discrepancies in their paychecks. In the NFL, quarterbacks get paid the most, too. The problem is Ohio State stealing Alabama’s freshman All-American safety and Ole Miss’ star running back.

Let’s be honest with ourselves. Most people in the real world would leave a job that pays $600K for a job that pays $1.2 million.

Thanks to the settlement of three lawsuits against the NCAA, athletic departments will be capped at $22 million for players beginning as early as next season. With schools having to directly pay players, hopefully a mechanism similar to multi-year contracts in the pros will be implemented to keep rosters intact from year to year.

Let’s also keep in mind that in the real world, ideas like loyalty and commitment go both ways. If a worker does a good job, then isn’t it on an employer to give that person a raise or risk losing its talent?

If I had to buy stock in Alabama or Auburn for the future, I’d invest my money in the witch doctor who can get players to sign up and stick around despite all the losing.

Don’t count Freeze out yet.

MAILBAG

Got a question for Joe? Want to get something off your chest? Send Joe an email about what’s on your mind. Let your voice be heard. Ask him anything.

MAKE YOUR PICKS

It’s Week 9 of the 6-0 Challenge. Make your picks, fellow sports donks and college football geniuses.

Joseph Goodman is the lead sports columnist for the Alabama Media Group, and author of the book “We Want Bama: A Season of Hope and the Making of Nick Saban’s Ultimate Team.”

al.com

Hugh Freeze says Alex McPherson will return for field goals under 35 yards

Published: Oct. 21, 2024, 12:25 p.m.

2–3 minutes

By

Peter Rauterkus | prauterkus@al.com

Auburn‘s issues in the kicking game continued against Missouri, with a 30-yard missed field goal toward the end of the third quarter.

Towns McGough, Auburn’s true freshman kicker, is 5-for-10 on field goals this season, filling in for Alex McPherson, Auburn’s sophomore kicker who was a perfect 13-for-13 on field goals last season.

McPherson has yet to play this season while recovering from a gastrointestinal illness, but Freeze said that will change on shorter field goals.

"Should we have another opportunity within the 35-yard range we were going to give Alex that shot, he told me he felt like he could do that," Freeze said during his Monday press conference.

McPherson hasn’t been listed as out on the availability report since Auburn played Arkansas in Week 4, but Freeze has mentioned a lack of strength keeping him off the field.

McGough’s early misses this season came on field goals of 50+ yards, but now has two misses from 30 yards or shorter. The other was a 27-yard miss at the end of the first half against Oklahoma.

“Again, we’re excited about Towns and his future and his talent, but we need to make those,” Freeze said. “Those are critical moments that keep our momentum up.”

Auburn’s next game will be a road matchup against Kentucky on Saturday, scheduled to kick off at 6:45 p.m. CT.

Peter Rauterkus covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @peter_rauterkus or email him at prauterkus@al.com

al.com

Rewinding everything Hugh Freeze said as Auburn prepares for Kentucky

Updated: Oct. 21, 2024, 11:54 a.m.|Published: Oct. 21, 2024, 10:45 a.m.

3–4 minutes

By

Peter Rauterkus | prauterkus@al.com

After another head scratching loss, Hugh Freeze and Auburn football are once again forced to pick up the pieces as they prepare for another road game.

The Tigers are coming off a 21-17 loss to Missouri, in a game where Auburn led by as much as 14 in the third quarter. Now, Auburn goes back on the road to face Kentucky, another struggling team coming off a loss.

Freeze is scheduled to address reporters at 11 a.m., follow along here for updates:

Freeze starts by saying he thinks the players are “playing really hard,” but they have to “figure out how to finish.”

Freeze mentions that in 32 years of coaching, he has only had one losing season.

Freeze mentions the drive in the third quarter where Auburn missed a short field goal, saying they should’ve had a touchdown there. Said Robert Lewis sent out a text after the game taking accountability after dropping a pass in the endzone on that drive.

Freeze credits the young defensive backs and their technique, but said fatigue seemed to affect their technique on the final drive of the game against Missouri.

Freeze reiterates that he remains confident in the staff and the players.

Freeze says “it’s a challenge,” when asked about managing his role in the offensive game planning along with other head coaching duties. Added that he, offensive coordinator Derrick Nix and quarterbacks coach Kent Austion have all shared play calling duties.

Freeze says they’re going to evaluate the left tackle position this week. Percy Lewis was benched after one possession against Missouri for Dillon Wade.

Freeze says he wanted to take more shots against Missouri, but wanted to prioritize getting the ball to Jarquez Hunter more and avoid mistakes.

When asked about how the offense is adjusting to the new formations and motions, Freeze says “Yes and no.” Adds that he thought most of the new stuff he put in was pretty successful against Missouri.

Freeze says if Auburn has a field goal opportunity within 35 yards, Alex McPherson will take it going forward. McPherson has yet to appear in a game this season.

Freeze says Cam Coleman has been good as a deep threat, but said he needs improvement on his intermediate routes. Said he would‘ve had chances for two more catches against Missouri, but didn’t execute the route correctly.

When talking about the lack of taking shots against Missouri, Freeze says he doesn’t mind the pressure, but just wants to “do the right thing for your kids at the right moment.”