Will Freeze get a 3rd year?

AURex

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

What does he mean? 

Does he mean he had to make certain promises to certain players due to NIL that having to do so has somehow taken away his freedom to discipline a player or bench them for a time?  I mean he's a seasoned HC but it may be true that he hasn't had a lot of practice managing a roster with NIL and the threat the transfer portal presents to a HC now. IDK?

In the context of the entire presser, his statement was a guarded/veiled reference to his lack of trust in Payton Thorne’s ability to not eff-up at key late moments in the game. He also stated that he has not had a team stuck in a funk like this in his 32 (or whatever) years of head football coaching at any level, and that he knows others in the organization are looking to him to “hold the rope,” but that he admittedly finds it awkward bc he hasn’t had to “hold the rope” in this type of funk before ( he didn’t use that phrasing, my words). His statements, as always, came across as honest, heartfelt, genuine, reflective, and upbeat. He has confidence in the direction he is taking the program. Of course, to listen to him speak so did Harsin. But make no mistake, Freeze is no freaking Harsin.

Edited by tigeraddikt

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@JerryAU Talent wise it's not much of a mess at all.

I used to think the same way, but not sure now. I seen too may cats whiffing on blocks. Dropped passes. Either air mailing passes or throwing them in the ground. Missed tackles.  Missed chip  shot FG's.  The list goes on and on. Maybe these things are linked to coaching More than Talent.  But I believe that I could get past Percy Lewis. Also seen numerous times our TE's get beat while trying to block the edge.  Maybe it's the scheme. I dunno. Gives me a headache thinking about this program right now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I used to think the same way, but not sure now. I seen too may cats whiffing on blocks. Dropped passes. Either air mailing passes or throwing them in the ground. Missed tackles.  Missed chip  shot FG's.  The list goes on and on. Maybe these things are linked to coaching More than Talent.  But I believe that I could get past Percy Lewis. Also seen numerous times our TE's get beat while trying to block the edge.  Maybe it's the scheme. I dunno. Gives me a headache thinking about this program right now.

That's why I started talking about bourbon and vodka.

Time to gear up for basketball, my man.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aubcali said:

Would be the Auburn thing to do.  I hope Cignetti is available.   

The dilemma is who is going to win the Cignetti sweepstakes. After Freeze flames out next season we better beat Alabama to hire him. 

Cignetti is one of Saban's buddies. I don't want him anywhere near Tuscaloosa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Ok but most of the big time talent on paper is not even here yet.

I hate seeing another thread like this,  but yes he gets a third and then the grim reaper will show up with a truck load of cash and some moving boxes 

2 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Ok...not to derail this thread too much, but what's the best vodka to buy that's still...reasonable? My wife loves the stuff but I don't know a thing about vodka. So I got her Belvedere. 

You don't have to spend on vodka like you might on bourbon. Especially because she's probably not drinking it straight. Skedva is affordable and tastes fine. Tito's is a good choice in between the price of Svedka and Belvedere. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, woodford said:

Caddy’s situation was very unique. He has the luxury of just running the damn ball every play and letting the cards fall as they may. I loved it but it’s probably not the best bet for every situation. 

Y’all really think Auburn is going to lose out? Only game Auburn didn’t really have a shot is Georgia and that was mostly the 4th quarter. I guess people are just frustrated but Auburn should win 3 straight and then play TAMU tough. Who knows about Iron Bowl. Alabama may quit by then. 

We should whip Kentucky, Vandy will be tough but should know how to defend them after losing the the same OC/QB combo from NMxState last year, we should take ULM.  

Freeze says he understands everyone is look at him to see how he handles challenging times. Says he hasn't had a lot of practice at it and he feels the pressure of not being free to do what he 's done for years.

So he's not free to do what he has done for years? What is it that he was previously free to do for years that he is no longer free to do? He's the HEAD COACH! What is he no longer free to do?

1 hour ago, AURex said:

Freeze says he understands everyone is look at him to see how he handles challenging times. Says he hasn't had a lot of practice at it and he feels the pressure of not being free to do what he 's done for years.

So he's not free to do what he has done for years? What is it that he was previously free to do for years that he is no longer free to do? He's the HEAD COACH! What is he no longer free to do?

Are you sure you want the answer to that question? I mean people clear their minds in different ways and his history is complicated to say the least.

Edited by HAPvsOA

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ok but most of the big time talent on paper is not even here yet.

And most of them won't make a huge difference next year because they will be true freshman. 

Freeze has to win some games soon or he is gone. And we have no QB or LT heading into next season. Freeze better nail it in the transfer portal, which he hasn't done so far. 

I will stick with my prediction that Freeze is fired after Year 3. 

Insane. If not (absent scoundrel behaviour) we're creating a treadmill of continuing to process coaches before THEIR recruits even start. Does Hugh get a 5th year, now that's the intelligent man's thread.

Edited by aucanucktiger

34 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Insane. If not (absent scoundrel behaviour) we're creating a treadmill of continuing to process coaches before THEIR recruits even start. Does Hugh get a 5th year, now that's the intelligent man's thread.

That game is gone. Coaches can buy a roster now and they can watch that roster get bought out from under them in year two. This "he needs four years" line no longer plays in this game and this year's post season could demonstrate this very clearly if we keep losing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AURex said:

QBs inability won't let him

2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

That game is gone. Coaches can buy a roster now and they can watch that roster get bought out from under them in year two. This "he needs four years" line no longer plays in this game and this year's post season could demonstrate this very clearly if we keep losing. 

That mindset might also explain why someone like HF accepted the job at AU and the bigger names never seriously considered taking the job. There's too much in flux everywhere. Good coaches are leaving for the NFL, or are staying at established programs that have a little more job security at this point. I really don't think anything in the game is gonna get better for us until some hard rules regarding pay for play are implemented by whoever the PTB are in college sports today. Then we'll probably have to do the uat thing and give a coach the moon and  hope we get a decent one. Our track record is way too bad to bet that we get a great coach. 

54 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

?
Gus had his recruits all over the place. Just the wrong recruits in key places. Harsin didn’t bother recruiting so he doesn’t count in that line of thinking. I believe that unless Freeze messes up somehow (not wins and losses) he gets at least 4 years. He’s not been impressive on Saturday for sure but he has been otherwise. We’ve had game day coaches before like Bowden and to some extent Harsin but they failed Sunday- Friday in everything else. I wish we could get a complete coach. Tuberville was close but he rested on his laurels too much for me. Dye isn’t coming back but we need that mentality in a coach badly. 

Edited by gr82be