Will Freeze get a 3rd year?

AURex

9 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

I was afraid the Freeze hire was a good ole boy hire and not a good coach hire.  
After he produces a historic loosing season and serious questions about his future emerge… how does he convince players to stay and players to come on board? 

Compared to Harsin, it was a spectacular hire.  That doesn't mean it will or won't work out, but the hire itself made sense at the time.

44 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

What?

Well if you look at his history, whenever things got challenging he either got fired or left for another job, so he's not used to having to actually respond to these challenges!

56 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

What?

What does he mean? 

Does he mean he had to make certain promises to certain players due to NIL that having to do so has somehow taken away his freedom to discipline a player or bench them for a time?  I mean he's a seasoned HC but it may be true that he hasn't had a lot of practice managing a roster with NIL and the threat the transfer portal presents to a HC now. IDK?

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

What?

Not free from boosters calling the shots? Or not free because he's promised too many things to players? Or not free because too many of his favorite play calls end in turnovers?

16 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

What does he mean? 

Does he mean he had to make certain promises to certain players due to NIL that having to do so has somehow taken away his freedom to discipline a player or bench them for a time?  I mean he's a seasoned HC but it may be true that he hasn't had a lot of practice managing a roster with NIL and the threat the transfer portal presents to a HC now. IDK?

I bet he means he is not free to run the plays he wants because he doesn't have the players to execute. This would be consistent with many other statements.

• Like 3

Just now, cbo said:

I bet he means he is not free to run the plays he wants because he doesn't have the players to execute. This would be consistent with many other statements.

If that is what he is saying, it's just another version of excuses by blaming the players. Instead of successfully adapting to what you have. Which would also be consistent with what we've seen him do so far. Not adapt or adjust.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

If that is what he is saying, it's just another version of excuses by blaming the players. Instead of successfully adapting to what you have. Which would also be consistent with what we've seen him do so far. Not adapt or adjust.

We seem to hire coaches that are unable to adjust.  Seems like an AU problem.

Will Freeze get a 3rd year?

Barring a scandal forcing him out, absolutely. He made 2 massive mistakes in taking Thorne 2 years ago & not replacing him last year. Can't miss on the QB we take in the portal this time though. On paper he's buying some great ingredients in terms of recruiting (best we have had since Dye, if not ever), those ingredients need to get here & he be able to cook with those ingrediaents before we fire him.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Barring a scandal forcing him out, absolutely. He made 2 massive mistakes in taking Thorne 2 years ago & not replacing him last year. Can't miss on the QB we take in the portal this time though. On paper he's buying some great ingredients in terms of recruiting (best we have had since Dye, if not ever), those ingredients need to get here & he be able to cook with those ingrediaents before we fire him.

If Hugh was apprehensive to spend over $1.5mm for a portal last year, he better be armed to the teeth this year.  Any portal QB that considers stepping into the mess that this program presents will likely demand a whole lot more that Riley Leonard or Cam Ward demanded last year.  Portal QB's hold all the leverage when Auburn comes courting, Hugh should prepare to pack the money bags now.   

It's a hilarious when a hired mercenary QB can get 2-3 times what our OC's & QB coaches are pulling in salary. 

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

On paper he's buying some great ingredients in terms of recruiting (best we have had since Dye, if not ever), those ingredients need to get here & he be able to cook with those ingrediaents before we fire him.

To extend your metaphor, a good chef doesn't need the fanciest, most expensive ingredients to at least make a decent meal. 

But I get your point and agree he will get a 3rd season. 

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

To extend your metaphor, a good chef doesn't need the fanciest, most expensive ingredients to at least make a decent meal. 

Are you about to link one of those epicurious YouTube videos where the home chef and the professional chef swap ingredients?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Well even Red admits he has to win next year to secure a fourth so...

If this coach gets a guaranteed 2 more full years with what he has shown us so far, it might be time for me to pick up bourbon drinking again.

WA_BourbonforBeginners_1600x900.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Bah. The best bourbon there is the dirty bird.

Cut me some slack, I'm a vodka man. :)

QB, QB, QB. Meanwhile MSU’s freshman QB has put up 55 points vs UGA/TAMU the past two weeks. 

2 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Cut me some slack, I'm a vodka man. :)

Ok...not to derail this thread too much, but what's the best vodka to buy that's still...reasonable? My wife loves the stuff but I don't know a thing about vodka. So I got her Belvedere. 

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

Any portal QB that considers stepping into the mess that this program presents will likely demand a whole lot more that Riley Leonard or Cam Ward demanded last year.

@JerryAU Talent wise it's not much of a mess at all. Given the talent at the skill positions many QB will likely want to come to AU. Hugh just has to be willing to pay their price.

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

It's a hilarious when a hired mercenary QB can get 2-3 times what our OC's & QB coaches are pulling in salary. 

Just the nature of NIL till the shared revenue streaming goes into place somewhat soon.

War Eagle always and forever. Best wishes to CHF and team. His biggest issue is not developing a tough and well coached team that doesn’t beat themselves. Also his reasonings sound like excuses. As the leader, the team follows his lead. Be courageous, be confident, be prepared, be all in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Are you about to link one of those epicurious YouTube videos where the home chef and the professional chef swap ingredients?

I will

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cbo said:

I mean, we saw Cadillac brainstorm on how to eke out wins with a subpar roster by playing super conservative and taking only very calculated risks, but Hugh also wants to win his way with the RPO which means taking bigger risks. It obviously hasn't worked from a W/L standpoint, but I also don't know what he promised the Freeze 4, Deuce, Walker White, Sam Turner, etc. 

It's going to be painful if we end the year with 2 wins and the class falls out of the top ten. People will be calling for Hugh's head. 

• Like 1

Yes. He can lose every upcoming game and I am 99% sure he will be here next year. Might as well accept it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, autigeremt said:

In true Auburn fashion, the Tigers select Rhett Lashlee as the next Head Coach in December of 2025. 

Travis Williams as associate head coach/DC

I am going to use this line again. We got a Captain Sobel, when we really need a Lt Dick Winters right now.

21 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

I mean, we saw Cadillac brainstorm on how to eke out wins with a subpar roster by playing super conservative and taking only very calculated risks, but Hugh also wants to win his way with the RPO which means taking bigger risks. It obviously hasn't worked from a W/L standpoint, but I also don't know what he promised the Freeze 4, Deuce, Walker White, Sam Turner, etc. 

It's going to be painful if we end the year with 2 wins and the class falls out of the top ten. People will be calling for Hugh's head. 

Caddy’s situation was very unique. He has the luxury of just running the damn ball every play and letting the cards fall as they may. I loved it but it’s probably not the best bet for every situation. 

Y’all really think Auburn is going to lose out? Only game Auburn didn’t really have a shot is Georgia and that was mostly the 4th quarter. I guess people are just frustrated but Auburn should win 3 straight and then play TAMU tough. Who knows about Iron Bowl. Alabama may quit by then.