Will Freeze get a 3rd year?

AURex

I predict that we will pay ridiculous money to keep the team together, but the 25 class will suffer for it. They will shell out crazy money for a QB. He will win 7/8 next year and everyone will calm down, and then we will just become a 7/8 win team tops for the next 10 years or so. 

39 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Obviously you're wondering if he knew it would play out like this ahead of time, would he choose this job.  I think he would.  But I think the one thing he'd change even if nothing else is, he'd have gone harder after a better QB than Thorne in the portal.  For all the issues of being unable to finish this season, the bottom line is that a solid QB has this team 6-1 right now and playing for a CFP berth, even if the roster overall isn't really championship caliber yet.  The drag that has created on the offense makes Auburn a team with zero margin for error.

This isnt specifically directed at you but I’d like to push back on the should have got a better QB belief. 
Freeze has known ( and most every fan as well) that PT is struggling to fit into his system. One of… if not the best player on offense, Hunter, continues to get limited opportunities. 
What if Hugh Freeze fit an offensive plan around what his players can do and are good at instead of forcing his system???? 
Of course having a top tier QB is going to get you wins. Getting one of those will ALWAYS be a challenge at Auburn. Always!  But an offensive staff worth their pay checks should be able to get an Auburn level team in a position to win by fitting a concept around the talent. 

And what happened sales pitch of Freeze doing more with less? Was that just pure sales BS? 

Edited by GreenTiger
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

This isnt specifically directed at you but I’d like to push back on the should have got a better QB belief. 
Freeze has known ( and most every dan as well) that PT is struggling to fit into his system. One of… not the best player on offense, Hunter, continues to get limited opportunities. 

What if Hugh Freeze fit an offensive plan around what his players can do and are good at instead of forcing his system???? 
Of course having a top tier QB is going to get you wins. Getting one of those will ALWAYS be a challenge at Auburn. Always!  But an offensive staff worth their pay checks should be able to get an Auburn level team in a position to win by fitting a concept around the talent. 

Actually I think you saw some of that this weekend.  Hunter got 19 or 20 carries which is what everyone said needed to happen instead of this 10-12 carry crap we've been seeing.  We ran 32 times and passed 32 (taking the three sacks away from the running totals and putting them as pass attempts to more accurately reflect what was called). We came out with that full house backfield thing putting Hunter and Cobb on the field together than yielded a few good runs.  But the problem is, because we can't reliably hit the passes that move the chains when we need to, defenses are loading the box.  And I don't care how good Hunter is or how much better the offensive line is at run blocking compared to pass blocking, running into the teeth of a 9 or 10 man box isn't going to yield substantial results very often.

6 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

What happened to Freeze doing more with less? Was that just pure sales BS? 

Well, the thing is, all his other teams at Arkansas State, Ole Miss and Liberty, he had or was able to develop a decent to great QB.  He never found himself in a situation where we wasn't able to sign one or take a guy and make him better until Thorne.

• Like 3

Yeah, Hunter this last week got 19 carries for 57 yards. 3.0 YPC average. Most carries he's got yet and also by far his worst performance all season, so the narrative that running Hunter more will help fix our offense isn't necessarily true. 

Kind of like how earlier in the season the narrative was we just had to stop giving away so many turnovers and we'd be fine. Well, we stopped turning the ball over and yet we're still losing games. 

It isn't just one problem with this team or one fix for it. Top to bottom our players just aren't making plays, making too many mistakes, and are falling apart whenever the pressure ramps up or a game gets close. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 3

In true Auburn fashion, the Tigers select Rhett Lashlee as the next Head Coach in December of 2025. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, cbo said:

I think he gets a 3rd year. I predict he finishes with 3 or 4 wins and maintains a top 10 recruiting class. He's buddies with the decision makers, so that would be enough. 

Freeze will then stink it up in year 3 and get fired. I predicted this a year ago.

Here's the interesting scenario, to me. What happens if he does only win 2 or 3 games, with a loss to ULM and a blowout loss to Bama or Texas A&M, plus the recruiting class drops to around #15 and current players start to transfer out? None of that is insane to imagine and he might not survive it. 

I think he gets the 3rd year no matter. But I have no confidence in us being any better next year and I suspect he will be gone by the end of next year. We are still pretty bad in a lot of phases of the game; OL, secondary and QB especially. While there is the possibility of getting better in OL and secondary, I just don't see it at QB. He would have to hit the home run QB portal transfer and I just don't see Arch Manning transferring. I truly I am not sure we can win another game this year, and 5 or 6 wins next year won't cut it. Gotta be honest, I was at AU in the Barfield years, but this is rock bottom.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Actually I think you saw some of that this weekend.  Hunter got 19 or 20 carries which is what everyone said needed to happen instead of this 10-12 carry crap we've been seeing.  We ran 32 times and passed 32 (taking the three sacks away from the running totals and putting them as pass attempts to more accurately reflect what was called). We came out with that full house backfield thing putting Hunter and Cobb on the field together than yielded a few good runs.  But the problem is, because we can't reliably hit the passes that move the chains when we need to, defenses are loading the box.  And I don't care how good Hunter is or how much better the offensive line is at run blocking compared to pass blocking, running into the teeth of a 9 or 10 man box isn't going to yield substantial results very often.

Well, the thing is, all his other teams at Arkansas State, Ole Miss and Liberty, he had or was able to develop a decent to great QB.  He never found himself in a situation where we wasn't able to sign one or take a guy and make him better until Thorne.

I understand this all but as a coach you still have to make the change and play younger guys at QB. If we were sitting at .500 with a bowl on the line I don’t think this would be such a hot topic. 
The ways it’s all projected currently is we’re now all in on a freshman qb for 2025. Do I hope it works yes. Can it be yet again another disaster also yes. Regardless you have to give capable players meaningful snaps at arguably the most important position on the field

7 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

I understand this all but as a coach you still have to make the change and play younger guys at QB. If we were sitting at .500 with a bowl on the line I don’t think this would be such a hot topic. 

I think at this point he doesn't have much choice, but I don't think playing younger guys at QB is really the panacea you think it might be.  Hank is ok, but he's not the difference here.

7 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

The ways it’s all projected currently is we’re now all in on a freshman qb for 2025. Do I hope it works yes. Can it be yet again another disaster also yes. Regardless you have to give capable players meaningful snaps at arguably the most important position on the field

No, we aren't.  Literally no one who has any sense of what the plan is at Auburn expects us to throw Deuce out there as a true freshman.  We will go hard after an upper-level portal QB that has (ideally) one year of eligibility remaining to lead the offense in 2025 and give Deuce a year to develop.  Then he and whoever is still on the roster with him in 2026 (I'd expect but not guarantee it's Walker White) will be competing for the starting job.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

In true Auburn fashion, the Tigers select Rhett Lashlee as the next Head Coach in December of 2025. 

Would be the Auburn thing to do.  I hope Cignetti is available.   

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Yeah, Hunter this last week got 19 carries for 57 yards. 3.0 YPC average. Most carries he's got yet and also by far his worst performance all season, so the narrative that running Hunter more will help fix our offense isn't necessarily true. 

Kind of like how earlier in the season the narrative was we just had to stop giving away so many turnovers and we'd be fine. Well, we stopped turning the ball over and yet we're still losing games. 

It isn't just one problem with this team or one fix for it. Top to bottom our players just aren't making plays, making too many mistakes, and are falling apart whenever the pressure ramps up or a game gets close. 

One of the more ironic things about Saturday’s game was that we were in the exact same 4th quarter situation as against OU. Run the ball, control the clock and get out with a win. Against OU, we didn’t do that and it bit us in the butt with the Pick-6. Against Mizzou, we did do that and it bit us in the butt with milquetoast 3&outs that gave the MIRACULOUSLY HEALED starting QB the opportunity to drive the whole da** field for the dagger. 

4 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

I was afraid the Freeze hire was a good ole boy hire and not a good coach hire.  
After he produces a historic loosing season and serious questions about his future emerge… how does he convince players to stay and players to come on board? 

To be fair, the man has won everywhere he has been.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

It’s been said on here by the mods that he’s going to get at least 1 or 2 more seasons. That said, and I’m only speculating here but what the UVA basketball head coach just did is interesting. He unexpectedly retired right before this season. His reason: this new college sports business model wasn’t what he signed up for and he had just lost joy for coaching. I wouldn’t be shocked to see more of this from other colleges coaches. I wouldn’t be surprised to see HF become one of them. Again, that’s pure speculation on my part. He just doesn’t seem to be loving his job. 

The adults in the room have failed everyone when it comes to collegiate athletics. 

• Like 1

Barring something extreme occurring I think Hugh gets through 2026 minimum.  I hate to say it but next year will be plenty bumpy too. The 2026 team should have 2-3 years starters across the board and would be building depth at that point.  If Hugh can’t get 9-10 wins with these guys by then it’ll get interesting real fast.

1 hour ago, aubcali said:

Would be the Auburn thing to do.  I hope Cignetti is available.   

I mean, I don't know that Rhett Lashlee would be a horrible hire? 

Doing really well in his 3rd season at SMU, and is recruiting well compared to all the rest of the ACC. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, naildawg said:

The problem is Freeze is too stubborn to bench a senior quarterback who's not up to the job.

The problem is, he’s better than the guys backing him up. We’ve seen what Brown can do( ugly) and he’s the second stringer

• Like 2

Just now, CoffeeTiger said:

Doing really well in his 3rd season at SMU, and is recruiting well compared to all the rest of the ACC. 

Rhett would be JABA defined.  

• Like 2

Just now, Win4AU said:

Rhett would be JABA defined.  

Maybe. Hiring coaches is really like playing darts while blindfolded.

Plenty of "sure thing" hires flame out at major programs, while good coaches rise up from nowhere from the G5 ranks. 

4 minutes ago, jluvah said:

The problem is, he’s better than the guys backing him up. We’ve seen what Brown can do( ugly) and he’s the second stringer

The problem is Freeze didn't fix this problem when he had a chance in the offseason.

But if we can't win with Thorne, and it's pretty proven we can't, go with the kid who has a chance to learn. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Barring something extreme occurring I think Hugh gets through 2026 minimum.  I hate to say it but next year will be plenty bumpy too. The 2026 team should have 2-3 years starters across the board and would be building depth at that point.  If Hugh can’t get 9-10 wins with these guys by then it’ll get interesting real fast.

If 2025 is bumpy too, then his HS recruiting will decline significantly (other coaches will be negative recruiting him to infinity), and his "young talent" will start to leave and transfer out (guys like Cam Coleman aren't sitting around for 2+ bad seasons of losing football when they will be approached by contending teams).

Don't you understand? If 2025 is a bad season, then there is no point in bringing him back for a 4th season because the HS recruiting will dry up, and there will be an exodus of talent from his actual roster. At that point he is producing on the field (wins), and his lone bright spot (recruiting) isn't going to be a thing either.

You will know by next season what his long term future holds. Anyone who thinks he has 4 years guaranteed has no idea what the actual realities of the situation are. 

• Like 1

I suggest if he wants a long-term future on the Plains he starts winning next year. And I'll just leave it at that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Rhett is in an interesting spot. SMU has deep pockets and I believe they can become a real player in the ACC which by default makes them a viable playoff contender. They have a great recruiting base and If he keeps winning like he is now, those boosters will provide him whatever he needs. I like the guy and am pulling for him to do great things. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AURex said:

CHF is on track to have the worst record for Auburn for many, many, many years. Decades. I can't even remember a worse period of Auburn football ---- and I am OLD. Okay, not as old as Golf, but I've still been around for awhile.

CHF is blabbering incessantly about recruiting. Why is he not talking about coaching and playing and winning?

Auburn will likely end up this year at 2-10. Maybe ... maybe ... 3-9. And to hear CHF sopeak, it is because auburn players suck, He just doesn't have the talent.  He needs more talent. Lots more talent.

Ya know, I remember Auburn when we didn't have the talent, but the players fought like maniacs, they played way above their star ratings, Auburn was feared, not because Auburn had the greatest players, but because Auburn fought like h3ll.

I'm tired of this "we need more talent" crap. Auburn has better talent already than a lot of teams in the SEC. Yet here we are fighting it out with Miss State for the bottom of the league, even lower than Vandy.

It's not talent, it is coaching. Motivation, skills, play calling. Yes, sometime a receiver drops a pass, sometimes a QB overthrows, sometimes a RB misses the hole. But when Auburn players are motivated to perform to the top of their ability, those plays will be few. It's up to the coaches to get them there!

Okay, the "football experts" can once again pound on me for blaming the coaches instead of our individual players. Go to it!

Auburn has underachieved, but do you even watch CFB? Lmao

:: 5th year QB misses wide open receivers or under throws guys <15 yarda or senior wideout drops a clear TD pass ::

“Fire Freeze! This is unacceptable!” - half this board 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I think at this point he doesn't have much choice, but I don't think playing younger guys at QB is really the panacea you think it might be.  Hank is ok, but he's not the difference here.

No, we aren't.  Literally no one who has any sense of what the plan is at Auburn expects us to throw Deuce out there as a true freshman.  We will go hard after an upper-level portal QB that has (ideally) one year of eligibility remaining to lead the offense in 2025 and give Deuce a year to develop.  Then he and whoever is still on the roster with him in 2026 (I'd expect but not guarantee it's Walker White) will be competing for the starting job.

I think he will  possibly need to get 2 portal QB. I think one of Hank or Holden will leave along with Thorne. It's conceivable Hank and Holden both leave.  Which would only leave Deuce and Walker...

Edited by NWALA Tiger

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

If 2025 is bumpy too, then his HS recruiting will decline significantly (other coaches will be negative recruiting him to infinity), and his "young talent" will start to leave and transfer out (guys like Cam Coleman aren't sitting around for 2+ bad seasons of losing football when they will be approached by contending teams).

Don't you understand? If 2025 is a bad season, then there is no point in bringing him back for a 4th season because the HS recruiting will dry up, and there will be an exodus of talent from his actual roster. At that point he is producing on the field (wins), and his lone bright spot (recruiting) isn't going to be a thing either.

You will know by next season what his long term future holds. Anyone who thinks he has 4 years guaranteed has no idea what the actual realities of the situation are. 

I just said bumpy.  Most of the defense will be sophmores and freshmen.  I agree you can’t keep having seasons like the last 2 and sustain success recruiting.  Florida is showing that right now.  I’d expect a 7-8 win floor next year depending on QB and schedule.