Will Freeze get a 3rd year?

AURex

CHF is on track to have the worst record for Auburn for many, many, many years. Decades. I can't even remember a worse period of Auburn football ---- and I am OLD. Okay, not as old as Golf, but I've still been around for awhile.

CHF is blabbering incessantly about recruiting. Why is he not talking about coaching and playing and winning?

Auburn will likely end up this year at 2-10. Maybe ... maybe ... 3-9. And to hear CHF sopeak, it is because auburn players suck, He just doesn't have the talent.  He needs more talent. Lots more talent.

Ya know, I remember Auburn when we didn't have the talent, but the players fought like maniacs, they played way above their star ratings, Auburn was feared, not because Auburn had the greatest players, but because Auburn fought like h3ll.

I'm tired of this "we need more talent" crap. Auburn has better talent already than a lot of teams in the SEC. Yet here we are fighting it out with Miss State for the bottom of the league, even lower than Vandy.

It's not talent, it is coaching. Motivation, skills, play calling. Yes, sometime a receiver drops a pass, sometimes a QB overthrows, sometimes a RB misses the hole. But when Auburn players are motivated to perform to the top of their ability, those plays will be few. It's up to the coaches to get them there!

Okay, the "football experts" can once again pound on me for blaming the coaches instead of our individual players. Go to it!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

I think he gets a 3rd year. I predict he finishes with 3 or 4 wins and maintains a top 10 recruiting class. He's buddies with the decision makers, so that would be enough. 

Freeze will then stink it up in year 3 and get fired. I predicted this a year ago.

Here's the interesting scenario, to me. What happens if he does only win 2 or 3 games, with a loss to ULM and a blowout loss to Bama or Texas A&M, plus the recruiting class drops to around #15 and current players start to transfer out? None of that is insane to imagine and he might not survive it. 

There is no doubt that he gets a 3rd and likely a 4th year.  We have wasted so much money making bad decisions that we really don't have the luxury of burning another $20 million plus.  People with money didn't get to where they are by throwing it out the car window.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, cbo said:

I think he gets a 3rd year. I predict he finishes with 3 or 4 wins and maintains a top 10 recruiting class. He's buddies with the decision makers, so that would be enough. 

Freeze will then stink it up in year 3 and get fired. I predicted this a year ago.

Here's the interesting scenario, to me. What happens if he does only win 2 or 3 games, with a loss to ULM and a blowout loss to Bama or Texas A&M, plus the recruiting class drops to around #15 and current players start to transfer out? None of that is insane to imagine and he might not survive it. 

The one thing I will say that impresses/surprises me is that he hasn't lost this team yet. That doesn't mean they'll win any games. Cause they aren't coached well enough to do that. But they haven't given up. What would get him in trouble this year is exactly what you said. An implosion. Losing the team, losses to ULM, blowout losses to TAMU and Bama, mass transfers, and decommits. Then the last leg of Defense for the pro Freeze crowd collapses. Then I dont know what happens.

But from what I can tell, i have seen nothing that garauntees a fourth year like some people keep harping on. Unless Yellow Fella likes him so much he's OK with our football team being a bottom dweller.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

The one thing I will say that impresses/surprises me is that he hasn't lost this team yet. That doesn't mean they'll win any games. Cause they aren't coached well enough to do that. But they haven't given up. What would get him in trouble this year is exactly what you said. An implosion. Losing the team, losses to ULM, blowout losses to TAMU and Bama, mass transfers, and decommits. Then the last leg of Defense for the pro Freeze crowd collapses. Then I dont know what happens.

But from what I can tell, i have seen nothing that garauntees a fourth year like some people keep harping on. Unless Yellow Fella likes him so much he's OK with our football team being a bottom dweller.

Don't be so hard on Hugh "I've got 99 problems but a win ain't one" Freeze. Do you even realize what he came into here? He's still having to fix that probation period from the early 90's. And Terry Bowden did Hugh no favors at all. He left the cupboard bare and Hugh is having to fix that!! He needs atleast 8 or 10 elite recruiting classes and then another few years to develop the talent. The turnarounds in year 2 like Saban, Chizik, Urban Meyer, Pittman, Heupel, Beamer, Kiffin, Leach, Kirby are VERY rare!! The instant turnarounds in year 1 like Brian Kelly or Mike Elko are simply not possible in this NIL, transfer portal era. 

Let the man do his job!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Freeze won't be here in Year 4. 

Hopefully then we can all argue whether the new coach is great or only "winning with Hugh's players."

As bad as it is, it will turn around quickly when he hire the right guy. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Don't be so hard on Hugh "I've got 99 problems but a win ain't one" Freeze. Do you even realize what he came into here? He's still having to fix that probation period from the early 90's. And Terry Bowden did Hugh no favors at all. He left the cupboard bare and Hugh is having to fix that!! He needs atleast 8 or 10 elite recruiting classes and then another few years to develop the talent. The turnarounds in year 2 like Saban, Chizik, Urban Meyer, Pittman, Heupel, Beamer, Kiffin, Leach, Kirby are VERY rare!! The instant turnarounds in year 1 like Brian Kelly or Mike Elko are simply not possible in this NIL, transfer portal era. 

Let the man do his job!!!!

How do you make a list of one year turnarounds and not include ole Gus on there? 

• Like 2

Just now, cbo said:

Hopefully then we can all argue whether the new coach is great or only "winning with Hugh's players."

This i do believe. At least he is stocking the cupboard for the right coach. If we can hold on to the players...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AURex said:

CHF is on track to have the worst record for Auburn for many, many, many years. Decades. I can't even remember a worse period of Auburn football ---- and I am OLD. Okay, not as old as Golf, but I've still been around for awhile.

CHF is blabbering incessantly about recruiting. Why is he not talking about coaching and playing and winning?

Auburn will likely end up this year at 2-10. Maybe ... maybe ... 3-9. And to hear CHF sopeak, it is because auburn players suck, He just doesn't have the talent.  He needs more talent. Lots more talent.

Ya know, I remember Auburn when we didn't have the talent, but the players fought like maniacs, they played way above their star ratings, Auburn was feared, not because Auburn had the greatest players, but because Auburn fought like h3ll.

I'm tired of this "we need more talent" crap. Auburn has better talent already than a lot of teams in the SEC. Yet here we are fighting it out with Miss State for the bottom of the league, even lower than Vandy.

It's not talent, it is coaching. Motivation, skills, play calling. Yes, sometime a receiver drops a pass, sometimes a QB overthrows, sometimes a RB misses the hole. But when Auburn players are motivated to perform to the top of their ability, those plays will be few. It's up to the coaches to get them there!

Okay, the "football experts" can once again pound on me for blaming the coaches instead of our individual players. Go to it!

The problem is Freeze is too stubborn to bench a senior quarterback who's not up to the job.

6 hours ago, cbo said:

Yaller feller ought to just pony up and concentrate on the lumber business.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

There is no doubt that he gets a 3rd and likely a 4th year.  We have wasted so much money making bad decisions that we really don't have the luxury of burning another $20 million plus.  People with money didn't get to where they are by throwing it out the car window.

This is spot on. Even if he wins 2 games, not getting fired.  I'm not sure how he digs out of this mess though. He keeps setting record after record and not the good kind 

• Like 2

I was afraid the Freeze hire was a good ole boy hire and not a good coach hire.  
After he produces a historic loosing season and serious questions about his future emerge… how does he convince players to stay and players to come on board? 

6 hours ago, cbo said:

Picking coaches is a crap shoot.  Just no way to know how they pan out.  Lincoln Riley, Mike Norvell, Napier..I think AU is in it with the long haul with Freeze with visions of turn around 

It’s been said on here by the mods that he’s going to get at least 1 or 2 more seasons. That said, and I’m only speculating here but what the UVA basketball head coach just did is interesting. He unexpectedly retired right before this season. His reason: this new college sports business model wasn’t what he signed up for and he had just lost joy for coaching. I wouldn’t be shocked to see more of this from other colleges coaches. I wouldn’t be surprised to see HF become one of them. Again, that’s pure speculation on my part. He just doesn’t seem to be loving his job. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cbo said:

So, who is that "right guy?" I'm not defending Freeze at all, but so many on here think that the best coaches around would jump at the opportunity to coach Auburn. Honestly, it seems like Freeze was the best of the lot when he was hired. I wonder if the only reason someone would want to coach at Auburn is if they f'ed up, they'd walk away with more money than most of us won't make combined in a lifetime. 

7 hours ago, AURex said:

Freeze will get a 3rd and 4th

Yeah, I think he'll get a third year. I think he'll finish probably with 4 wins, though if the team finally quits on the season that number could be as low as 2. If he turns in a two win season, I think a third year is more in question. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Yes.

I really wonder if he had it do over again if he would've took the job. Heard him mention several times how much he liked living in the Blue Ridge area . His daughters live in Auburn. I assume that played into it.

He will get a 3rd year without a doubt just because of recruiting.  He will stick with Thorne and we have our worst season. He will possibly get 4 if we are over 5 wims next year or a Bowl.game next year.  I just hope we can hang on to recruiting and keep knight. Praying for a portal 1 year QB.

I am so disappointed in the leadership of Thorne and that Freeze jnew we didnt have anyone if he went down or stunk.  Freeze is a gambler and out all his chips in on Thorne and lost.

Edited by Muscle Shoals Tiger

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I really wonder if he had it do over again if he would've took the job. Heard him mention several times how much he liked living in the Blue Ridge area . His daughters live in Auburn. I assume that played into it.

Obviously you're wondering if he knew it would play out like this ahead of time, would he choose this job.  I think he would.  But I think the one thing he'd change even if nothing else is, he'd have gone harder after a better QB than Thorne in the portal.  For all the issues of being unable to finish this season, the bottom line is that a solid QB has this team 6-1 right now and playing for a CFP berth, even if the roster overall isn't really championship caliber yet.  The drag that has created on the offense makes Auburn a team with zero margin for error.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Good question, but I think the jury’s still out on that one. From Day 1 he has held to the priority of better talent equaling wins. We should be 5-1, and that equates to lack of focus in execution, bad luck, overall sub-par QB play, and lack of an effective singular message from Freeze down the organization. We lack toughness and accountability for some reason; I do believe that the accountability part in large part exists because we don’t have players behind the guys not making the plays that are any better. For example, we play the O lineman who misses a key block bc the guy(s) behind him would miss even more blocks. The WR dropping the TD in the corner is playing bc he at least didn’t loaf and ran the right route, which is likely better than his replacement. It sucks to lose, but the team doesn’t look lost, inept, or demoralized, and the plays and game plans are there for success to be had. Having said all this, it is singularly CHF’s job to figure it out. He’ll have next year to prove his vision is the right one for AU. If he flames out next year, it’ll be rinse and repeat. 

Yeah because he’s done a great job of deflecting blame away from himself. He will win a couple games to end the season and play a tight game against a tough opponent and talk about how we are almost there… but we’ll never get “there”. False hope late will save him.