Congrats Hugh Freeze

TeamZero77

19 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

To play devil’s advocate, it was a definite intention to use most of the NIL pie on big time HS guys rather than dudes who can go now. 

The team is of the talent level and first 3 quarters of production where that philosophy should’ve produced a good team. It’s a top 5 team in the SEC if fourth quarters don’t exist. 

I can’t really give an excuse to the any positional groups without admitting it’s a mis-evaluation on that talent front, but the defensive line veteran pickups haven’t done much. The LBs in pass coverage vary. No real secondary depth, just freshmen at this point. Some of the names we really liked there haven’t panned out, and that side has some dudes from big time programs (Trill Carter - Texas, Antonio Kite - Alabama, for example) 

And to go all in on HS recruiting is cool.  But the rebuild will take longer. The QB misevaluation is the one that hurts the most. Freeze has to hit the jackpot on a Transfer QB this off-season.  Cause if he don't. Next year will be just as bad as this year. Apparently,  PT is the best QB on the roster at this time, scary  indeed

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 3

If you don’t think it’s a coaching and culture issue and only blame it on lack of talent I don’t even know what to say anymore. 
best example is look at Bama right now. You honestly think that under Saban they would have 2 losses before November with the talent they have?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

If you don’t think it’s a coaching and culture issue and only blame it on lack of talent I don’t even know what to say anymore. 
best example is look at Bama right now. You honestly think that under Saban they would have 2 losses before November with the talent they have?

Oh, I think it's all the above. Coaching, player development.  Talent evaluation.  It all applies. Upper classmen with no idea how to put a game away. A coach that don't know how to teach that.. A coach that looks like a "Hank before daylight" in his appearance.  I can go on and on...   But he isn't getting fired this year,  so message board therapy is all we have right now

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 2

This team has an insane knack for finding a way to lose games. I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s definitely poor coaching but also seems like some weird voodoo going on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are the masters of finding new and creative ways to lose games. There use to be a term called “Clemsoning”, this is far far superior to that. The worst I’ve ever seen. Pretty sure one of his Ole Miss teams was bad about it, I believe it was a Chad Kelly year. They would look great for awhile then it would all fall apart. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Oh, I think it's all the above. Coaching, player development.  Talent evaluation.  It all applies. Upper classmen with no idea how to put a game away. A coach that don't know how to teach that.. A coach that looks like a "Hank before daylight" in his appearance.  I can go on and on...   But he isn't getting fired this year,  so message board therapy is all we have right now

We also have recruiting, but some would rather burn it down to satisfy their ego. I'm not saying we control recruiting. I say we can control how we think and behave even though it is very difficult. 

38 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

if Thorne was his qb yes, it is very possible.  That said, it is difficult to trust Auburn fans analysis of QB's . . . a large swath of this fanbase proclaimed Bo Nix was trash and we should go with TJ Finley. Turns out, he wasn't trash. However I think we are finally on the money regarding Thorne. 

Edited by EagleReedle

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

And to go all in on HS recruiting is cool.  But the rebuild will take longer. The QB misevaluation is the one that hurts the most. Freeze has to hit the jackpot on a Transfer QB this off-season.  Cause if he don't. Next year will be just as bad as this year. Apparently,  PT is the best QB on the roster at this time, scary  indeed

Walker White being as raw as reported and Hank Brown maybe not being good definitely hurts. Holden is just holding a scholarship at this point. Hard to have that triumvirate and then your "tenured" "veteran" QB is also horrible. Hard to have both of those problems 

1 hour ago, Auburn93 said:

We also have recruiting, but some would rather burn it down to satisfy their ego. I'm not saying we control recruiting. I say we can control how we think and behave even though it is very difficult. 

Recruiting is great. But it don't absolve Freeze from being criticized for the on the field product. We have no business only winning 2 games to this point.

Is there another team that has underachieved worse than this team? We are talented enough to be 6-1, but can’t win a game against a team with a pulse. Mizz’s starting QB was out most the game and we couldn’t capitalize. Oklahoma was playing a freshman QB… couldn’t capitalize. Hugh Freeze is awful (but he can recruit smh is it worth it)

• Like 1

Just now, sevenlee36 said:

Is there another team that has underachieved worse than this team? We are talented enough to be 6-1, but can’t win a game against a team with a pulse. Mizz’s starting QB was out most the game and we couldn’t capitalize. Oklahoma was playing a freshman QB… couldn’t capitalize. Hugh Freeze is awful (but he can recruit smh is it worth it)

To our level clear answer is no…closest to underachieving is probably USC

4 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I’m genuinely thinking Hugh must be tanking us on purpose, I don’t get it.

In the current era of football I genuinely believe to sustain success you need a defensive minded coach or a ceo type at the top. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

As a program, 

You don't try to half fire Bryan Harsin, then let him keep his job under a cloud of embarrassment and not pay for it. 

The football gods not gonna give us our get back until those karmic debts are paid.

Half joking but half not lol. Our program DESERVES this. Our fans and players don't, but those in charge do. 

Post of the day. Absolutely true 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

As a program, 

You don't try to half fire Bryan Harsin, then let him keep his job under a cloud of embarrassment and not pay for it. 

The football gods not gonna give us our get back until those karmic debts are paid.

Half joking but half not lol. Our program DESERVES this. Our fans and players don't, but those in charge do. 

That cheating smear campaign against Harsin was shameful. My family and friends bring that up and I just have to shake my head. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BustemBigBlue said:

This team has an insane knack for finding a way to lose games. I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s definitely poor coaching but also seems like some weird voodoo going on. 

I would agree and go a step farther in saying that, this football program as a whole, has a knack for losing games and looking ridiculous in doing so. 

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

If recruiting doesn’t show up with positive in game results, what’s the point? For the love of everything, please stop hiring coaches with ties to Arkansas. I said it yesterday and some have said since, please go after a Defensive minded HC next. These offensive minded ones are ruining AU football. 

2 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

I disagree slightly... We have the talent to have 5 or 6 wins at this point IF, we had a competent QB. But not with the cat we got now

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Saban also left the game cause of the culture of the modern player. Chip Kelly stepped down from being a head coach cause of the culture of the modern player.

There is plenty of blame to go around for both sides. I don't see it improving in the NIL era as it currently is and will probably be done with college athletics in the next 5 years or less. Especially with the revenue sharing model that appears to be the future.

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I disagree slightly... We have the talent to have 5 or 6 wins at this point IF, we had a competent QB. But not with the cat we got now

This is simply not true at this point.

Teams all across the country find ways to win games with average or worse QB play every single week. Missouri just did it to us yesterday. Brady Cook was 11 for 22 (50%) for 194 yards and 0 TD's. That is NOT good in 2024. On the last drive he missed MULTIPLE throws no different than Thorne does, but what happened? We bailed him out, just like we do every single week regardless of who the opposing QB is. The difference is that when its 3rd and 18, 4th and 5, or 3rd and 10 our defense collapses and concedes plays that never should be conceded. When Peyton Thorne is in 3rd and 18, you will notice that the opposing team doesn't magically blow a coverage or blow containment to let him run for an uncontested 1st down. When we have 3rd and 18, the OL tends to all of a sudden decide to block no one, and the play is over within 2 seconds. It doesn't matter who the QB is in that scenario. When plays need to be made, nobody on this team wants to do it. Whether its Thorne, the OL, the receivers, the defense, or the damn kicker.

I'm getting tired of AU fans hyping up average or worse QB's from opposing teams and pretending like we are losing because we don't have these supposed mythical beasts behind center. The kid from Arkansas who beat us looked no better than Robby Ashford. Completely subpar QB play, but we bailed him out continuously. Arky's QB has 6 TD passes and 6 INT's on the season, yet they are still sitting at 4-3. No, he isn't good. We have lost 3 games this season in which the opposing team's QB was subpar or worse.

Oklahoma beat us with a crap true freshman QB and 2nd and 3rd string WR's. He made two plays the entire game - and one of them was a blown coverage. That kid got benched in their blowout loss yesterday after he threw 2 INT's on 5 attempts. Again, we didn't lose because he was better than our QB, we lost because we are a loser team and we invent new ways to lose regardless of the opponent. Thorne had 3 TD passes in that game. Similar to Arkansas, Oklahoma is sitting at 4-3. They are a bad team with a bad QB, yet they have twice as many wins as us.

We lose games because the entire team top to bottom cant win. Thorne is a part of that, but open your eyes people. This is not a QB problem at this point, it is a foundational problem which starts with the HC.

This isn't a post to defend Thorne. He clearly isn't the guy. But this team CLEARLY has much bigger problems than who the QB is at this point. It is very silly to be pretending like this is a healthy team, but we are just losing because poopy Thorne can't win. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, metafour said:

This is simply not true at this point.

Teams all across the country find ways to win games with average or worse QB play every single week. Missouri just did it to us yesterday. Brady Cook was 11 for 22 (50%) for 194 yards and 0 TD's. That is NOT good in 2024. On the last drive he missed MULTIPLE throws no different than Thorne does, but what happened? We bailed him out, just like we do every single week regardless of who the opposing QB is. The difference is that when its 3rd and 18, 4th and 5, or 3rd and 10 our defense collapses and concedes plays that never should be conceded. When Peyton Thorne is in 3rd and 18, you will notice that the opposing team doesn't magically blow a coverage or blow containment to let him run for an uncontested 1st down. When we have 3rd and 18, the OL tends to all of a sudden decide to block no one, and the play is over within 2 seconds. It doesn't matter who the QB is in that scenario. When plays need to be made, nobody on this team wants to do it. Whether its Thorne, the OL, the receivers, the defense, or the damn kicker.

I'm getting tired of AU fans hyping up average or worse QB's from opposing teams and pretending like we are losing because we don't have these supposed mythical beasts behind center. The kid from Arkansas who beat us looked no better than Robby Ashford. Completely subpar QB play, but we bailed him out continuously. Arky's QB has 6 TD passes and 6 INT's on the season, yet they are still sitting at 4-3. No, he isn't good. We have lost 3 games this season in which the opposing team's QB was subpar or worse.

Oklahoma beat us with a crap true freshman QB and 2nd and 3rd string WR's. He made two plays the entire game - and one of them was a blown coverage. That kid got benched in their blowout loss yesterday after he threw 2 INT's on 5 attempts. Again, we didn't lose because he was better than our QB, we lost because we are a loser team and we invent new ways to lose regardless of the opponent. Thorne had 3 TD passes in that game. Similar to Arkansas, Oklahoma is sitting at 4-3. They are a bad team with a bad QB, yet they have twice as many wins as us.

We lose games because the entire team top to bottom cant win. Thorne is a part of that, but open your eyes people. This is not a QB problem at this point, it is a foundational problem which starts with the HC.

This isn't a post to defend Thorne. He clearly isn't the guy. But this team CLEARLY has much bigger problems than who the QB is at this point. It is very silly to be pretending like this is a healthy team, but we are just losing because poopy Thorne can't win. 

Here’s another fun stat that backs up what me and you’ve been saying. Scroll down to 67 and you’ll see Thorne. Then look at all the QBs considered worst worse teams have winning records 🫠

https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

On 10/19/2024 at 4:48 PM, TeamZero77 said:

You keep on breaking Auburn records but in a bad way. Hugh has now coached 20 games at Auburn. In those 20 games he has had a 4 game losing streak last year, a 3 game losing streak to end the season last year and is now in another 4 game losing streak. All of this in only 20 games!!! No other head coach in Auburn history has had 2 separate 4 game losing streaks and a 3 game losing streak in their first 20 games. Brother Hugh is in a league all his own. Oh yeah, we were 3-0 versus Missouri since they joined the SEC. Gus was 2-0 against them and even Harsin beat them in 2022. Not Hugh though. He had to ruin that streak.

Harsin was fired after 21 games. He was 9-12 and had lost 4 games in a row when he was fired. If we lose AT Kentucky, Hugh will be 8-13 and have 5 losses in a row. He's worse than Harsin.

He has lost 7 straight games to Power 4 teams, going back to last years Iron Bowl. He loses games in EVERY way imaginable. Other than recruiting, he has done nothing at Auburn except make excuses (which he has done his entire coaching career) and throw people under the bus (which he has also done his entire career).

I'm eager to see what our A.D. and BOT will do if we finish 2-10 or 3-9 with no SEC wins. Remember, they fired Chizik for a 3-9 year. He was 3-0 in bowl games, won a Natty and an SEC Title and was recruiting in the top 10 and had a class ranked 4th.

So how can they keep Hugh, based solely on his recruiting and nothing else, when they fired Chizik who was a great recruiter and won ALOT more games and a Natty? 

Rant over. Now I'm gonna go watch Mr. Excuses throw everybody under the bus again in his postgame presser.

Danger in posting a rant like this is if HE takes these incredible athletes HE is recruiting to anywhere near where their stars usually go, the post looks clownish at best. Red & others in the know have repeatedly said Freeze aint goin anywhere anytime soon so you're hedging your bets against the players Hugh's bringing in sucking when even a high school caliber coach could win big with them. It's COLLEGE football, very avg gameday coaches like Bobby Bowden, Lou Holz and Urban Meyer have done great things with ONLY their recruiting ability.

Edited by aucanucktiger

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Walker White being as raw as reported and Hank Brown maybe not being good definitely hurts. Holden is just holding a scholarship at this point. Hard to have that triumvirate and then your "tenured" "veteran" QB is also horrible. Hard to have both of those problems 

Playing Thorne has no upside at this point. The season is unsalvageable. A &M and AU are going in opposite directions. Kentucky nearly beat UGA, Vanderbilt beat Bama and Pavia is the kind of crafty seasoned qb that looks like Tom Brady against AU (and already proved it last year.) Bama is down, it's THE rivalry game but they have more to play for than we do and it's in T-town. ULM catches Auburn with their heads down and Freeze's "we're making progress" is 2-10 and not hemorrhaging skill players and recruits will be a Herculean task. Play one of the kids and at least have an interesting end to the season. Sort out the keepers and the mistakes at the end of the year. The current state is unwatchable.

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

Ugghh! That still stings. What a freaking poop show that was