Vs Mizzou Post Game

ShocksMyBrain

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I posted this before but someone went back and looked at the top 14 QBs from the 2023 class and they'd played like a total of 11 starts and maybe 150 snaps combined between them as freshmen.  It's completely and utterly normal for HS QBs to not be ready to contribute as true freshmen.  Add in the things you said above (all true and reasonable), and it shouldn't be shocking or upsetting to anyone who knows the ball that WW isn't ready yet.

Exactly and it’s completely unfair for people to say we misevaluated . I would go as to argue that it is reasonable to not expect him to even be truly ready till year three. Fans are seeing so many freshman play but not realizing majority of these freshmen are still playing like freshmen. The difference is they have older players at other positions stepping up. Now with that being said , we have a fifth year senior who plays like a freshman . Still, it would be so unfair to throw  WW in the mix right now. He still needs to learn the game speed among other stuff.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Momentum matters.  Going up 20-6 there instead of coming up empty changes the complexion of the game.

It reminds me of the saying "he could f*** up a wet dream."  

You could just as easily say if Cook isn’t hurt, they are blowing us out at the half. Or if their star WR doesn’t whiff on a punt, we lose by 2 TDs.

I feel like we caught the breaks this game, finally. And still found a way to lose. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

Our defense has allowed a last second drive for a loss on at least three occasions. Is that CHF's fault? Is he calling the defensive schemes and coverages? They weren't able to stop the other team on multiple 3rd and long situations. I mean, more than 10 yards and some more than 15 yards.  Our defense has had trouble in key situations where thy have great plays on 1st and 2nd down only to give up a big play on 3rd or 4th down. Is that on the D coordinator or are the players slacking off and losing focus? Peronally, I don't know, but someone need to look at that long and hard going forward.

The defense is not lights out but they absolutely play well enough for u to win games. The offense scored a whopping 10 points today. If the O gets them 24 points . Auburn is 5 and 2 at worst

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

Be careful giving hard criticism about Freeze.  Mods are trying to white wash him.  

One thing about freeze, he's a good solid

Edited by TigerOne

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I would ride with Brown the rest of the year. If we somehow end up blowing anybody out, give Walker a few snaps and mop up time. I’m done with Thorne unless everyone else breaks their leg.  

Been on the HB. Some say PT gave u the best chance to win with his legs. Guess what Auburn is still losing 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I would ride with Brown the rest of the year. If we somehow end up blowing anybody out, give Walker a few snaps and mop up time. I’m done with Thorne unless everyone else breaks their leg.  

Changing mind about Thorne?

it’s a shame he throws a beautiful pass in practice and a couple each game like today.

18 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

"It's the players fault?@?@!!" No one is asking who tells the players to play.  We have 7 seasons of Thorne game film. Freeze thought he could fix him. He should be fired tonight. 

I do believe in coach Freeze and his vision," Asante said this week at media availability. "I understand with somebody like that at the helm, good things can come out of it. The biggest thing is just us as players taking accountability for our mistakes."

"It's so easy to deflect and 'man the coach is wrong, the coach is wrong,' but if I miss a tackle in the A gap, it's on me," said Asante. "They put me in that position.

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/eugene-asante-wants-auburn-tigers-to-look-in-mirror-01jadjs4tsd6

So what is your plan?

You tell me you got the money, the coach, the means of holding the current players and class together, and guarantee me improvement across the board then I am all in.

48 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There were several plays out there that if we make just one of them, we probably win the game.

Lewis doesn't drop the TD pass right in the hands.

McGough hits the FG.

Get the stop on 4th down on the last drive.

There were a few others.  But just key moments where if just *someone* will step up and make the damn play it puts it out of reach and doesn't allow Mizzou to keep or get any momentum.  Nobody does.  And then we add a few sprinkles on top with idiotic sacks, letting a gimp QB run 20 yds untouched, or whiffed blocks.

Along with the offensive ineptitude, I swear if i see the DC rush 3 again on a 3rd and long I’m turning the TV off and going to the woods to sit in my deer stand.  You can’t let a good QB stand back there forever and hope the DB’s can keep coverage on good receivers.  Same for the McGough.  I know he is supposed to be the next great kicker for us but something is not working for him right now.  If McPherson is anywhere near ready to kick he needs to be the guy for the rest of the year. 

Edited by weagl1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly and it’s completely unfair for people to say we misevaluated . I would go as to argue that it is reasonable to not expect him to even be truly ready till year three. Fans are seeing so many freshman play but not realizing majority of these freshmen are still playing like freshmen. The difference is they have older players at other positions stepping up. Now with that being said , we have a fifth year senior who plays like a freshman . Still, it would be so unfair to throw  WW in the mix right now. He still needs to learn the game speed among other stuff.

The only confirmed mis evaluation currently is Freeze in regards to Thorne being improved

8 minutes ago, cbo said:

You could just as easily say if Cook isn’t hurt, they are blowing us out at the half. Or if their star WR doesn’t whiff on a punt, we lose by 2 TDs.

I feel like we caught the breaks this game, finally. And still found a way to lose. 

Exactly

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Changing mind about Thorne?

it’s a shame he throws a beautiful pass in practice and a couple each game like today.

I mean, I've given him every chance I can.  And I fully expect Hank to make some bone head mistakes being a RS freshman.  But we hav nothing to lose anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weagl1 said:

Same for the McGough.  I know he is supposed to be the next great kicker for us but something is not working for him right now.  If McPherson is anywhere near ready to kick he needs to be the guy for the rest of the year. 

I agree.  McPherson needs to kick the rest of the way.  Let McGough chill out and get his head right.

I do not understand NOT letting the younger guys get snaps at QB. Thorne has never won anything for us, he panics under pressure and when we missed the FG I knew we were cooked because Thorne tries to play hero ball, is not accurate on his throws and makes stupid decisions. This guy should never see the field again. But here we are and the fact that freeze keeps trotting him out there is mind blowing and makes me really not like him. I would like to see Hank back at QB. Even with the picks in the arkie game he is 1000x better than Thorne. 

• Like 1

FWIW on Freshman QBs in the SEC: Marcel Reed held things down at TAMU just fine in Weigman’s absence and I’m watching MSUs Michael Van Buren push a ranked Aggie’s team after a great performance vs UGA last week. 

Time to go with Hank and find some snaps for WW. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I mean, I've given him every chance I can.  And I fully expect Hank to make some bone head mistakes being a RS freshman.  But we hav nothing to lose anymore.

It may have been posted already, but there was a PT play today that illuminated a huge head problem. He had the team at the line of scrimmage as the clock ran out at the end of the first quarter. He was completely surprised and confused because he had no idea that was happening. Unreal. 

18 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

When I hear coaches say backup qb’s are not ready that’s a red flag on coaching. We see every week backups come off the bench and play as well or better than the starter. If a 4-5 star qb is not good enough to play at all then what are they doing in practice?

Missouris backup kept them in the game enough to win 

Edited by TigerOne
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yep.  It's the kind of play that puts wind in the sails of Missouri and gets Auburn thinking "here we go again."

Exactly. We’ve had like three instances of this happening this season. Sigh.

3 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

When I hear coaches say backup qb’s are not ready that’s a red flag on coaching. We see every week backups come off the bench and play as well or better than the starter. If a 4-5 star qb is not good enough to play at all then what are they doing in practice?

Missouris backup kept them in the game enough to win 

It doesn't happen all the time and Mizzou's QB didn't keep them in the game.  He didn't do anything.  They only stayed in the game because our offense failed to land the kill shot.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

FWIW on Freshman QBs in the SEC: Marcel Reed held things down at TAMU just fine in Weigman’s absence and I’m watching MSUs Michael Van Buren push a ranked Aggie’s team after a great performance vs UGA last week. 

Time to go with Hank and find some snaps for WW. 

I have this complaint. I'd like to just go ahead with the youth movement at this point.

• Like 1