Vs Mizzou Post Game

ShocksMyBrain

Just now, KansasTiger said:

Then I hope Freeze starts evaluating qb talent better than he has been lately...

I’ve searched the forum. I’ve yet to find anyone who will not agree with you on that particular subject.

Just now, jluvah said:

So, all the hype about Walker White was just that? Man, we suck at QB evaluation!’

I mean, it might be White.  But Brown is a year ahead of him and seems most likely to move into the #2 slot.

And no, it doesn't mean you suck at QB evaluating because a highly rated guy isn't ready as a freshman or redshirt freshman.  Literally happens all the time all over college football, even with the 5-stars.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Cam Ward would have had us competing for the playoffs.

True.  I don't really think we're a playoff team overall, but he'd have been an absolute difference maker.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There were several plays out there that if we make just one of them, we probably win the game.

Lewis doesn't drop the TD pass right in the hands.

McGough hits the FG.

Get the stop on 4th down on the last drive.

There were a few others.  But just key moments where if just *someone* will step up and make the damn play it puts it out of reach and doesn't allow Mizzou to keep or get any momentum.  Nobody does.  And then we add a few sprinkles on top with idiotic sacks, letting a gimp QB run 20 yds untouched, or whiffed blocks.

We still lose if McGough hits the FG.

What you are describing in the rest of the post is poor play across the board.
And that’s the thing. We find a way to lose every game. It’s not the same thing or the same player. So what does that tell us?

• Like 1

Cam Ward would have had us competing for the playoffs.

Who are you looking to argue that point with?

All of us would have loved him here. We were outbid. I doubt we get outbid again.

1 minute ago, cbo said:

And that’s the thing. We find a way to lose every game. It’s not the same thing or the same player. So what does that tell us?

That's there's an overall lack of leadership and a culture issue. Which both point to Freeze.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Momentum matters.  Going up 20-6 there instead of coming up empty changes the complexion of the game.

1 minute ago, cbo said:

It reminds me of the saying "he could f*** up a wet dream."  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

True.  I don't really think we're a playoff team overall, but he'd have been an absolute difference maker.

I think this team is better talent wise than this crap. A lot better. Starting the season 4-0 would have made a ton of difference. With Cam Ward, we could be sitting at 6-1/7-0 and the swag would be there. They’re just stuck in a losing rut.

While it is true that the defense has given up double-digit leads in the 4th quarter, it is also true that our offense can't convert on 3rd downs when we need it most. whether it is play calling or qb execution, receiver execution or o-line execution, there is a culture of letting up when the game is on the line. Is that a coaching problem? Maybe. But we aren't the only team that is seeing this. I believe it is a wider cultural letdown that has increased since the transfer portal has become an unlimited opening. Basically, every player is a free agent every season, and that is a recipe for a breakdown in the sustainability of team cohesion.

4 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Who are you looking to argue that point with?

All of us would have loved him here. We were outbid. I doubt we get outbid again.

I’m not arguing. Just stating a point.

• Like 1

I’m not arguing. Just stating a point.

Be careful giving hard criticism about Freeze.  Mods are trying to white wash him.  

Just now, KansasTiger said:

I think even the mods are starting to have second thoughts on Freeze right now...😂

"It's the players fault?@?@!!" No one is asking who tells the players to play.  We have 7 seasons of Thorne game film. Freeze thought he could fix him. He should be fired tonight. 

• Dislike 1

The worst thing about this game is when McGough missed that FG you just had this sinking feeling like you already had the scenario of how it’d play out set in your mind and it went exactly what you pictured it would happen. Not for a moment did I think we’ll pull it out. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There were several plays out there that if we make just one of them, we probably win the game.

This is the problem with this team in a nutshell. You don't even have to look that hard to see what this team could and arguably should be. Every game seems to have a couple of drives, play sequences, where they look GREAT and the stat sheet even bears that out. Jarquez is averaging nearly 7 yards a carry and Auburn's like top 10 in the country in yards per play and yards per passing attempt. The Auburn defense is a top 40-ish unit in both total and scoring defense. Unfortunately, the entire team seems allergic to making plays when it matters. If current trends hold, it is ENTIRELY possible that Auburn will finish the year with a 1,000 yard receiver, a 1,000 yard rusher, a top 40 defense, and a losing record.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUDynasty said:

The worst thing about this game is when McGough missed that FG you just had this sinking feeling like you already had the scenario of how it’d play out set in your mind and it went exactly what you pictured it would happen. Not for a moment did I think we’ll pull it out. 

Yep.  It's the kind of play that puts wind in the sails of Missouri and gets Auburn thinking "here we go again."

• Like 2

People really surprised about WW being behind the eightball? He has the tools to be a Josh Allen type with right coaching but I am not the least suprise that he isn’t ready to contribute. Some of you were told, but wanted to fight it, that he plays for a small private school out of LR who runs the same spread system since middle school days . The talent is weak and the offense is not super complicated, add to the fact that LR Christian has a lot more resources than their counterparts , he had a lot of advantages. The biggest red flag was his completion percentage despite running this system since middle school with majority of the same players he grew up with. AGAIN, this does not mean he is a bust. It just means that I am not surprised he is not ready as of yet for this game speed.

• Like 4

Our defense has allowed a last second drive for a loss on at least three occasions. Is that CHF's fault? Is he calling the defensive schemes and coverages? They weren't able to stop the other team on multiple 3rd and long situations. I mean, more than 10 yards and some more than 15 yards.  Our defense has had trouble in key situations where thy have great plays on 1st and 2nd down only to give up a big play on 3rd or 4th down. Is that on the D coordinator or are the players slacking off and losing focus? Peronally, I don't know, but someone need to look at that long and hard going forward.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

People really surprised about WW being behind the eightball? He has the tools to be a Josh Allen type with right coaching but I am not the least suprise that he isn’t ready to contribute. Some of you were told, but wanted to fight it, that he plays for a small private school out of LR who runs the same spread system since middle school days . The talent is weak and the offense is not super complicated, add to the fact that LR Christian has a lot more resources than their counterparts , he had a lot of advantages. The biggest red flag was his completion percentage despite running this system since middle school with majority of the same players he grew up with. AGAIN, this does not mean he is a bust. It just means that I am not surprised he is not ready as of yet for this game speed.

I posted this before but someone went back and looked at the top 14 QBs from the 2023 class and they'd played like a total of 11 starts and maybe 150 snaps combined between them as freshmen.  It's completely and utterly normal for HS QBs to not be ready to contribute as true freshmen.  Add in the things you said above (all true and reasonable) and it shouldn't be shocking or upsetting to anyone that knows ball that WW isn't ready yet.

• Like 3

Just now, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

Our defense has allowed a last second drive for a loss on at least three occasions. Is that CHF's fault? Is he calling the defensive schemes and coverages? They weren't able to stop the other team on multiple 3rd and long situations. I mean, more than 10 yards and some more than 15 yards.  Our defense has had trouble in key situations where thy have great plays on 1st and 2nd down only to give up a big play on 3rd or 4th down. Is that on the D coordinator or are the players slacking off and losing focus? Peronally, I don't know, but someone need to look at that long and hard going forward.

When you lose the battle yes it's the Generals fault ultimately. Or, better yet the Commander in Chief.

20 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

That's there's an overall lack of leadership and a culture issue. Which both point to Freeze.

Exactly, we are a poorly coached team that expects to lose. 

• Like 1