Vs Mizzou Post Game

ShocksMyBrain

9 hours ago, cbo said:

I'm pretty sure what happened is Freeze thought about bringing in a portal QB and tested the waters on a few (Leonard, Ward, Salter). He didn't prioritize it like he should because he thought Thorne could work with better WR's and OL.

This was a huge mistake, that most of the board identified at the time. QB should always be the highest priority. 

Yes several on here questioned Hughs sanity when he said PT would be better with better players around him. 

• Like 1

I am glad they ripped Percy Lewis out and replaced him with Tyler Johnson.  If we won I was going to say that was the move that did it.

Percy just looks like he could care less out there.  He was a highly touted transfer but turned out to be a bust. 

• Like 8

QB isn’t the only position of need.  We need two functional tackles for pass protection and we don’t even have one.  Another glaring problem in pass protection is Hugh tries to flood the field with receivers instead of keeping a TE and/or a back in for pass protection.  If you gonna do that you must have a QB who is a quick decision maker and we don’t have one of those either.  The whole thing is a mess. He might as well just commit to running the ball the rest of the season and put White or Hank or whoever has the best chance of being the starter next year in there to hand it off about 90% of the time.  Get them some experience without putting the game on their shoulders.  That might lead to losing some of the good receiver recruits he got last year leaving but they are probably gonna leave anyway after suffering through this mess of a season.  

• Like 1

I bought into the Hugh Freeze koolaid but its getting pretty sour lemonaid now. Its clear he had not evaluated the QBs he recruited and we have in place if none are capable to replace Thorne. Its all on him as the Head Coach and he has to own it. We are worse his 2nd year than the first if thats possible in my opinion. We are the worst team in the SEC and thats a shame.

• Like 1

Why can't we tackle? Why do we just throw our bodies at the other team and expect them to lie down? Why can't we use our arms and wrap somebody up? Surely coaches teach the players to tackle, right? But they just refuse to do it on game days? It's really frustrating.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

Why can't we tackle? Why do we just throw our bodies at the other team and expect them to lie down? Why can't we use our arms and wrap somebody up? Surely coaches teach the players to tackle, right? But they just refuse to do it on game days? It's really frustrating.

We are a very soft bunch. I was looking at USCe yesterday and was like damn look at how physical they are compared to us. It sucks it has gotten to us. I remember when opponents hated playing us because we were so damn physical now we are team’s homecoming games. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 5

I like to add fuel to the fire. So I would like to submit this for the forum…

Colorado is currently 5-2 on the year….

Nebraska is 5-2 

Wisconsin is 5-2

Ole Miss is 5-2

These are all the coaches that Auburn could have chosen.

Now I personally do not like Deon Sanders. He annoys me. But anyone who wants to tell me he inherited a better program than Hugh, I’ll fight you!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AUApostle said:

He had a done deal w/ Leonard for weeks/months until they went back to renegotiate after an agent got involved.  Hugh told them to kick rocks.

i don’t think we could get Salter academically qualified bc of his major.

Ward was the one that Hugh decided to tap out and reposition his money into HS assets.

if that is the case, i actually respect freeze for bailing when a player tried to renege on an agreement. that said, this is why all this talk of "he won't make the same mistake again" is silly because at the moment the players have a ton of leverage. unless you are going to give in to them in some regard aint' nothing guaranteed. freeze has to hit on 1) identifying  the talent and or 2) being able to develop that talent. both of which he claimed to be able to do. can't miss on both fronts.

13 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

This season is gone, but Freeze is going to have to show me something in year 3 for my support. I've never seen a team find a way to lose each week like this. It's beyond ridiculous at this point

My friends and I were watching it together at another buddy’s house out of town who’s going through some real tough times in life (spinal tumors, losing his ability to walk, etc). Several there were bammers, including the sick friend. As soon as we missed the field goal in the fourth we said it was the beginning of the end and the start of the AU meltdown. They got a kick out of it and said “surely y’all will win and hold on to the lead,” to which we replied, “just watch.” It unfolded magically. And we then watched their meltdown against Tennessee. It was at least a good time to be miserable together 😂

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

There were several plays out there that if we make just one of them, we probably win the game.

Lewis doesn't drop the TD pass right in the hands.

McGough hits the FG.

Get the stop on 4th down on the last drive.

There were a few others.  But just key moments where if just *someone* will step up and make the damn play it puts it out of reach and doesn't allow Mizzou to keep or get any momentum.  Nobody does.  And then we add a few sprinkles on top with idiotic sacks, letting a gimp QB run 20 yds untouched, or whiffed blocks.

This is what makes this season so brutal for me. We've been in almost every game, until we hand it away by our own stupid play and dumb mistakes. 

29 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

My friends and I were watching it together at another buddy’s house out of town who’s going through some real tough times in life (spinal tumors, losing his ability to walk, etc). Several there were bammers, including the sick friend. As soon as we missed the field goal in the fourth we said it was the beginning of the end and the start of the AU meltdown. They got a kick out of it and said “surely y’all will win and hold on to the lead,” to which we replied, “just watch.” It unfolded magically. And we then watched their meltdown against Tennessee. It was at least a good time to be miserable together 😂

Just wait til November. The first ever Misery Bowl where both fan bases could really care less

• Like 1

What do we do if we go winless in the conference? We fired Chizik a year removed from a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP after going 0-8 in the SEC. 

Hugh doesn't have anything close to that on his resume. 

And we are NOT a program that keeps, or should keep a coach, for going 0-8 in the SEC. Or we didn't used to be at least..... 

10 hours ago, AUApostle said:

He had a done deal w/ Leonard for weeks/months until they went back to renegotiate after an agent got involved.  Hugh told them to kick rocks.

i don’t think we could get Salter academically qualified bc of his major.

Ward was the one that Hugh decided to tap out and reposition his money into HS assets.

From a business perspective, I think Freeze would probably be a winner in most deals. I do think he’s someone that’s going to try to “win” the deal almost every time, from what I’ve heard. He’s got an idea of his budget for what a player is worth, and anything past that…we’ll go to the next guy. 

Probably a philosophy that’s great for us going forward. Also one that may have cost us on what could’ve been a really overachieving type of season this year. I don’t think we would’ve been a super team, but our schedule is really meh as far as the SEC goes, and we could easily be 2 losses or better to date. The second best team on our schedule as of this moment may be Vanderbilt. It was truly a blessing we foibled

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Nebraska is 5-2 

Wisconsin is 5-2

Ole Miss is 5-2

Now I personally do not like Deon Sanders. He annoys me. But anyone who wants to tell me he inherited a better program than Hugh, I’ll fight you!

What he did is bring a good to great QB with probably the best single player in CFB this year with him to Colorado.( probably won’t win the Heisman bc he plays at Colorado). Nebraska also has a game changer at QB, better numbers than Thorne and I bet he makes plays when he needs to. We actually need a difference maker at QB like Missouri has.

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Nebraska is 5-2 

Wisconsin is 5-2

Ole Miss is 5-2

Yeah I was going to post something similar, there are a lot of Prime haters, he was my top choice just because I thought he would have brought a fun atmosphere to the plains. Still most will say he is overrated but you are correct in saying CU had MUCH less talent even after the potato bunch left. They almost beat Kansas and would have been 6-1. Most if not all of these teams will most likely make it to a bowl, more than I can say for us.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

What do we do if we go winless in the conference? We fired Chizik a year removed from a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP after going 0-8 in the SEC. 

And we are NOT a program that keeps, or should keep a coach, for going 0-8 in the SEC. Or we didn't used to be at least..... 

No everyone is saying you have to keep a coach at least three years now, unless they are Harsin then its fair game. I'm not calling him to be let go but the number of folks that just put blind faith that he is going to turn this around next year is pretty impressive. I hope he does it but the last two years has shown me that he doesn't appear to be a good ball coach.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

The difference is Chiz lost 6 games by 18 points or more and 3 by 30 points or more.    Not only were we 0-8, we did not compete.   As awful as this season is, we are, at least, competing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

The difference is Chiz lost 6 games by 18 points or more and 3 by 30 points or more.    Not only were we 0-8, we did not compete.   As awful as this season is, we are, at least, competing.

Besides UGA, that's not much of a feat so far this year. I think we're in the process of discovering that both OU and Mizzou are vastly overrated, and Arky is very mid at best.

And I'm glad we are at a point in our program that we can hang our hat on competing with the SEC while going 0-8 in conference. 

5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Nebraska is 5-2 

Wisconsin is 5-2

Ole Miss is 5-2

2025 class rankings as of today:

Colorado - 84th

Nebraska - 28th

Wisconsin - 27th

Ole Miss - 25th

Auburn - 5th

Very frustrating season I get it but Auburn will catch breaks believe it or not. Kentucky is not good, Vanderbilt struggled with Ball State, and Alabama might quit before the Iron Bowl. There’s a lot of football left. 

1 minute ago, woodford said:

2025 class rankings as of today:

Colorado - 84th

Nebraska - 28th

Wisconsin - 27th

Ole Miss - 25th

Auburn - 5th

Very frustrating season I get it but Auburn will catch breaks believe it or not. Kentucky is not good, Vanderbilt struggled with Ball State, and Alabama might quit before the Iron Bowl. There’s a lot of football left. 

But muh recruiting! Won't make a hill of beans difference since talent isn't why we keep losing.

48 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Besides UGA, that's not much of a feat so far this year. I think we're in the process of discovering that both OU and Mizzou are vastly overrated, and Arky is very mid at best.

And I'm glad we are at a point in our program that we can hang our hat on competing with the SEC while going 0-8 in conference. 

Competing…that’s just freaking weak man. People just need to stop with this crap. Lol. Same people saying at least we are competing are the same people saying we just need better receivers to win. Next year it will be “we need consistent top 5 classes to win.”

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

I agree. So margin of loss matters more than a guy getting u a championship. I really think this years schedule is much more favorable than 2012. It’s TBD as Auburn has to at last get to three wins

9 minutes ago, e808 said:

I agree. So margin of loss matters more than a guy getting u a championship. I really think this years schedule is much more favorable than 2012. It’s TBD as Auburn has to at last get to three wins

That’s the thing, this schedule was very favorable for momentum in a rebuild and we just fell flat on our face. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

These are very different scenarios man.

Chizik lost complete control of his team. Guys were getting arrested left and right. Some were committing SERIOUS offenses. That 2012 team completely quit and didn't even want to play, hence the blowout losses.

It's not just "wins and losses". I've been hyper critical of Freeze, but this is his second year and he gets to go to year three because he is recruiting. There is no point in firing him now - you may as well see what he can do in the Portal next season.

Before anyone says it: Bryan Harsin got fired in his second season because he wasn't doing ANYTHING. He was going to watch his son play on Friday nights instead of recruiting. He completely alienated administrators and boosters. He was alienating his own players (remember the fiasco of guys leaving and calling him out?). Again, this is very different from Hugh Freeze just losing a bunch of games.

• Like 3