Vs Mizzou Post Game

ShocksMyBrain

15 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

No no no. We gotta wait at LEAST three years. That’s the magical okay -to-fire-a-coach-number-that-all-other-coaches-realize-we-mean-we-are-serious-number-of-years number.

Were alot around here that said paying 20 million plus to get rid of Gus would insure we were winning the conference and playing for championships in 5 years.

well-were-waiting-waiting.gif

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

My understanding is that the money was there. And Freeze chose to not go after another portal qb last year. He thought he could make Thorne work.

This isn't true.  We were in discussions with more than one highly desired portal QB last year.  I know Riley Leonard was all but a done deal at one point.  It was only after those went sideways and Cam Ward's demands got so high that he pivoted back to Thorne and trying to improve the pieces around him.

But also, I think Hugh will admit that their approach on the portal last year wasn't the best.  For instance, unlike HS recruiting where you really fight for that last visit to leave the last impression, the portal guys were taking like one visit and committing.  We missed on some guys because of that.  He's said he won't make that same mistake again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

This isn't true.  We were in discussions with more than one highly desired portal QB last year.  I know Riley Leonard was all but a done deal at one point.  It was only after those went sideways and Cam Ward's demands got so high that he pivoted back to Thorne and trying to improve the pieces around him.

But also, I think Hugh will admit that their approach on the portal last year wasn't the best.  For instance, unlike HS recruiting where you really fight for that last visit to leave the last impression, the portal guys were taking like one visit and committing.  We missed on some guys because of that.  He's said he won't make that same mistake again.

It isn’t true? You are 100% sure about that? 

• Like 1

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

I don't know that I'm 100% sure about anything.  But I've talked to people I respect for their knowledge of things at Auburn who have said more or less the same thing on what went down last year.  Maybe someone else out there heard something different.  I have not.  Or maybe when we're losing some folks just like to gripe and say stuff.

• Like 3

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I don't know that I'm 100% sure about anything.  But I've talked to people I respect for their knowledge of things at Auburn who have said more or less the same thing on what went down last year.  Maybe someone else out there heard something different.  I have not.  Or maybe when we're losing some folks just like to gripe and say stuff.

Yeah, folks definitely like to pop off.

8 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I'm pretty sure what happened is Freeze thought about bringing in a portal QB and tested the waters on a few (Leonard, Ward, Salter). He didn't prioritize it like he should because he thought Thorne could work with better WR's and OL.

This was a huge mistake, that most of the board identified at the time. QB should always be the highest priority. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'm pretty sure what happened is Freeze thought about bringing in a portal QB and tested the waters on a few (Leonard, Ward, Salter). He didn't prioritize it like he should because he thought Thorne could work with better WR's and OL.

This was a huge mistake, that most of the board identified at the time. QB should always be the highest priority. 

and he won't do that again.

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

Info I have gathered from the folks I trust, the money was there last year for Freeze to get another qb from the portal in addition to his high school class, and he chose to go with Thorne. Why would he do that? I don’t know, ego perhaps?

I guess at this point, it doesn’t really matter. We are who we are because of the team that Freeze has assembled. What’s important is what happens going forward. I will absolutely maintain my skeptical stance until something changes, most notably, the on field results. 

• Like 3

i wonder what deuce costs and someone in here said he wouldn't start next year. it would be interesting to know how much more Auburn will spend on qbs this year because they didn't last year.

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Info I have gathered from the folks I trust, the money was there last year for Freeze to get another qb from the portal in addition to his high school class, and he chose to go with Thorne. Why would he do that? I don’t know, ego perhaps?

I guess at this point, it doesn’t really matter. We are who we are because of the team that Freeze has assembled. What’s important is what happens going forward. I will absolutely maintain my skeptical stance until something changes, most notably, the on field results. 

Yeah, I think we are basically saying the same thing. I do believe he could have signed the same high school class and added a portal QB. Remember how we were in it to the end with Ryan Williams and several other big time recruits we didn't land? That obviously would have required a lot of money, that we could have spent on a transfer QB. 

I think Freeze decided Thorne would work with better WRs, didn't prioritize it highly enough, and decided to save the money. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fasttimes61 said:

i wonder what deuce costs and someone in here said he wouldn't start next year. it would be interesting to know how much more Auburn will spend on qbs this year because they didn't last year.

The bigger question is does AU have coaches that can develop quarterbacks or any players for that matter? So far the results are no.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Yeah, I think we are basically saying the same thing. I do believe he could have signed the same high school class and added a portal QB. Remember how we were in it to the end with Ryan Williams and several other big time recruits we didn't land? That obviously would have required a lot of money, that we could have spent on a transfer QB. 

I think Freeze decided Thorne would work with better WRs, didn't prioritize it highly enough, and decided to save the money. 

We definitely are saying the same thing. Apparently I just want to fight.🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The flags and warning signs with Hugh are different than the ones with Harsin but just as glaring. Everything about this team the past two years is off. It’s far deeper than the QB in my opinion. Things on gameday are just so disjointed. 

Like maybe he's DISTRACTED???

3 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

We definitely are saying the same thing. Apparently I just want to fight.🤣

Meet me by the willow tree after school?

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Freeze is responsible for all these decisions and needs to win some damn games. Tired of all the excuses. I don't want to hear about the labor pains, show me the baby. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

The bigger question is does AU have coaches that can develop quarterbacks or any players for that matter? So far the results are no.

i mean, Auburn hasn't consistently developed players since tubberville.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, cbo said:

I feel the oline is the most important. The line can make a good qb look really good or a great qb look average. Or in our case a below average qb look really bad. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Meet me by the willow tree after school?

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Freeze is responsible for all these decisions and needs to win some damn games. Tired of all the excuses. I don't want to hear about the labor pains, show me the baby. 

IMG_5588.gif

7 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Freeze is not a head coach. He’s a salesman and a con man. He got is millionaire job, just fake it till fired and live the good life.

Hell, that’s been on the Auburn head coach job description for 16 years! They pay people to NOT coach!🤣

40 minutes ago, cbo said:

He had a done deal w/ Leonard for weeks/months until they went back to renegotiate after an agent got involved.  Hugh told them to kick rocks.

i don’t think we could get Salter academically qualified bc of his major.

Ward was the one that Hugh decided to tap out and reposition his money into HS assets.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fasttimes61 said:

i mean, Auburn hasn't consistently developed players since tubberville.

Yep, his staff knew how to find diamond in the rough defenders better than anyone and could coach them up.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

A competent QB would help, sure. But this staff plays UGA and AL to the last minute last season and gets pasted by NMSU and Maryland. Who does that? Hugh is 3-9 in SEC play with not one win vs an SEC team with a winning record. The play calling, time management, personnel decisions, etc….Its all flashing bad. And back to QB play, what is this magical notion that a finished QB product is going to fall into our lap, portal or not. Hugh has 4 QBs on the roster. Is he not responsible for developing at least on of them to at least serviceable? I hope I’m wrong and hope he turns this around next year, but right now I’m very concerned. 

Of those four, one is Thorne… One doesn’t fit the system. The other two are freshmen. If he’s struggling to get his senior to be adequate, where is the time to develop? It’s a catch 22. 

Hopefully we can buy a play maker next season while the young guns grow. 

5 hours ago, CCTAU said:

Of those four, one is Thorne… One doesn’t fit the system. The other two are freshmen. If he’s struggling to get his senior to be adequate, where is the time to develop?

We agree that we don’t have an optimal QB room. But these guys have hundreds of hours of practice and film study with HF the past two years. When Hugh talks about Kent Austin, he raves about his ability to ‘develop’ QBs. It’s up to the coach to call plays/develop game plans around abilities. What is maddening is week after week watching him try to make Thorne work and see them constantly argue on the sidelines. It’s like a bad dream you can’t wake up from. 😅

• Like 2