Vs Mizzou Post Game

ShocksMyBrain

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

Yeah, UT just shows that hiring coaches isn't easy. They didn't do anything "wrong".

Kiffin was a good hire but he screwed them and left. Derek Dooley was a bad pick and a bad hire, and they fired him appropriately after 3 seasons. Butch Jones got 5 seasons and 3 of those were actually winning seasons, with 2 being 9-win seasons. Ultimately a failed hire, but he wasn't horrendous and they didn't fire him "too early". Then they hired Pruitt who was the hot-shot SEC coordinator candidate and elite recruiter and he got them slapped by the NCAA. Again he wasn't fired "too early".

And this is my point. It's very hard to hire the right coach. So once you know you have the wrong one, move on and try again. I'm not saying we are there yet. But we are getting closer than some want to admit. 

Continuing with the UT comparison, Lane, Dooley, Butch, and and Pruitt all have higher winning percentages at UT than Freeze's current record at AU. 

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I feel like these discussions are some weird AUF Groundhog Day thing that has to be told to people over and over again.

Yes, they looked to upgrade the QB position via the portal.  Had Riley Leonard (who many people here wanted bad) until they reneged on a deal that had been agreed to and got an agent involved.  Cam Ward wanted close to $2 million.  The QB market was kinda insane.  NIL funds while healthy at Auburn, are not limitless.  If you spend crazy money on one guy you're making a choice to forgo other players you need - and our needs were many.  Given the lay of the land, and Thorne's history at MSU when he had good WRs, the decision was made to invest that money in the pieces around him.  

Now I know it has not panned out.  But the situation going into this offseason is simply not the same.  The information we have available is not the same.  And if I'm hearing correctly, the money available to go fix this QB situation is not the same.

So yes, he wanted a portal QB, made a bad call in hindsight because of the QB market going nuts and the number of holes on the roster that needed addressing, and he doesn't intend to let it happen again.

Can everyone copy this and save it to their notes somewhere for future reference now?

Have any players improved under freeze?

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is what gets me. Who freaking cares what the market is if we are being told he had the money to get the player but his own ego got in the way? It’s one thing if we have to budget buy but that was not what had been alluded in the past. So yeah if this was the case, it is not as simple as an “oops mistake.” 

My understanding is that we didn't have the money to get his QB AND keep all the other ones we were trying to get.  Not last year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

There's no historical evidence for Freeze getting or developing QBs on his teams?

no, there is no historical evidence freeze is going to learn from mistakes and not repeat his errors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TigerOne said:

Have any players improved under freeze?

Statistically, this team has improved quite a bit on offense and defense, other than turnovers and red zone.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

UT is not an example of doing it right.  They're a cautionary tale of what can happen.  They haven't been relevant for almost 15 years until now.

We’re on our way. Eight of our last ten seasons we’ve had at least 5 losses, have been terrible in bowls, and almost certainly facing our 4th straight losing season. 

It's been almos 7 years since that 2017 season where we had a shot at the playoff until Kerryon got hurt.  So yeah, we're almost halfway to UT's futility.

Yeah and IMHO 2017 was an anomaly, Gus was able to win that year but he pretty much was an 7/8 win a year coach and that is going back about 15 years. Gus should have never gotten the extension.

Screenshot at 2024-10-19 21-22-56.png

Just now, TitanTiger said:

My understanding is that we didn't have the money to get his QB AND keep all the other ones we were trying to get.  Not last year.

If that’s okay then my bad. My only thing is the QB market is probably going to be the QB market every time for a guy with caliber of Cam Ward status. Otherwise , he will be budget buying like PT. So hopefully if that is the case at the very least it is a guy who is comfortable in his system. 

1 minute ago, cbo said:

And this is my point. It's very hard to hire the right coach. So once you know you have the wrong one, move on and try again. I'm not saying we are there yet. But we are getting closer than some want to admit. 

Continuing with the UT comparison, Lane, Dooley, Butch, and and Pruitt all have higher winning percentages at UT than Freeze's current record at AU. 

No no no. We gotta wait at LEAST three years. That’s the magical okay -to-fire-a-coach-number-that-all-other-coaches-realize-we-mean-we-are-serious-number-of-years number.

• Haha 4

Statistically, this team has improved quite a bit on offense and defense, other than turnovers and red zone.

Except for the one statistic that matters the most and that is wins.

I would say the defense has improved somewhat. Special teams, offense definitely not.

Just now, fasttimes61 said:

and wins

Ok.  You asked who had improved and the truth is, the stats say we have.  We all understand we need to win.  But I kinda get the feeling you aren't really looking for a response or answer.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

If that’s okay then my bad. My only thing is the QB market is probably going to be the QB market every time for a guy with caliber of Cam Ward status. Otherwise , he will be budget buying like PT. So hopefully if that is the case at the very least it is a guy who is comfortable in his system. 

My understanding is that the money was there. And Freeze chose to not go after another portal qb last year. He thought he could make Thorne work.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

My understanding is that the money was there. And Freeze chose to not go after another portal qb last year. He though he could make Thorne work.

Yeah that is what I remember too tbh. Like he almost just refused to do it after he got burnt by the ND guy. So his ego got in the way.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Ok.  You asked who had improved and the truth is, the stats say we have.  We all understand we need to win.  But I kinda get the feeling you aren't really looking for a response or answer.

Eh at least for me just frustrated, I just wanted to see us be competitive and we aren't playing that way at all....I do believe he is going to get another season, we will see how it goes....

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah that is what I remember too tbh. Like he almost just refused to do it after he got burnt by the ND guy. So his ego got in the way.

He wanted to spend the money on elite HS talent instead.

This actually isn't the "wrong" choice, but you need to win games to not only keep that elite HS talent on your roster, but also to get you past year 3 so that that elite HS talent actually delivering wins.

So instead of Cam Ward you get Cam Coleman and Damarcus Riddick. That's great and all, but we went backwards in year #2 and now he's on the hot seat, and Coleman has what - 10 catches this season? Hardly worth the NIL investment so far, and those guys can easily just leave after this crap season.

In hindsight he should have traded some HS signees for Ward and ensured that year #2 would be an improvement from year #1.

8 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Yeah and IMHO 2017 was an anomaly, Gus was able to win that year but he pretty much was an 7/8 win a year coach and that is going back about 15 years. Gus should have never gotten the extension.

Maybe he shouldn’t but Auburn is learning finding the right coach isn’t as easy as it seems.  Auburn can’t even get to 8 wins. This has to be one of the easiest schedules Auburn has had in years and is currently 2-5

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

i didn't ask anything. that was another poster. i am just pointing out a stat that hasn't improved.

im here to discuss the team like everyone else. we just have different views.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e808 said:

I would disagree there. Money talks. I think he would have an idea of what works at Auburn. At this moment u can only go up

SMU alum's have money. He may make the playoffs with them this year.

His knowledge of how things work at Auburn is a reason why I don't think he would take the job.

Currently I think SMU would come with less stress, headaches, and has better shot at making the playoffs currently.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Doesn't matter whether it was an anomaly, the bottom line is, 7 years ago we were 10-2 and just beat the #1 team in the country in back to back weeks, both convincingly.  If Kerryon doesn't get hurt, we most likely put another hurting on Georgia and are in the CFP.  Like it or not, that's being relevant.

11 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

My understanding is that the money was there. And Freeze chose to not go after another portal qb last year. He thought he could make Thorne work.

Freeze decided to go with the age-old football adage "build your team from the WR position."

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, TripleDegreeTiger said:

SMU alum's have money. He may make the playoffs with them this year.

His knowledge of how things work at Auburn is a reason why I don't think he would take the job.

Currently I think SMU would come with less stress, headaches, and has better shot at making the playoffs currently.

Ok, very valid points. No rebuttal 😂 

• Haha 1