Vs Mizzou Post Game

ShocksMyBrain

1 minute ago, bishoptf said:

Yeah I don't disagree for me I just don't think he is a good head coach and others can disagree with that but a good coach to me is able to take the players he has and raise them up to the next level. I'm not saying he wins championship but you at least are competitive and he has not shown to be able to do that. I do think he gets a third year but will be interesting to see what he does at QB, I don't think he can roll out a freshman QB to learn on the job, he is going to need to win games next year.

He's not going to roll out a freshman QB to learn on the job next year.  Everyone who has any feel on the pulse here says we are going full bore after a portal QB this off season - a 1 year guy to bridge the gap and give Deuce time to develop.  Look, he knows he missed on Thorne being fixed with better weapons around him and missed bad.  He's going to do everything not to repeat that error.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cbo said:

And more recently, UT. They ran through a bunch of coaches quickly before finding Heupel. 

Yeah I just think at year 2 you should see some glimmer of hope on the field...I'm not seeing much of that for year 2.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

All I know is the last guy basically was on an island by himself and his teams were more competent then the guy who has all the support in the world behind the scenes. These recruits freeze are hopefully getting better make a quick 180.

its so depressing to agree with this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

And more recently, UT. They ran through a bunch of coaches quickly before finding Heupel. 

UT is not an example of doing it right.  They're a cautionary tale of what can happen.  They haven't been relevant for almost 15 years until now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But also, you can get away with that kind of stuff once.  You do it two times in a row and you're begging to be wandering the wilderness for a decade longer.

I know a lot of people believe that. And maybe you're right. 

But I believe it's all about getting the right coach. And that's a bit of a crapshoot. Some of it is continuing to try until you get lucky. Just like UT with Heupel. 

Of course AU would get some bad press with the false narrative that we run through coaches. Just like we did with Harsin, when it was clearly time for him to go. But we didn't care about bad press when we hired Freeze, so why now?

Look, we need to see how the season plays out. I'm not saying we fire Freeze now. But if we finish with 3 wins, blow the ULM game, or lose the recruiting class, firing Freeze should be on the table for consideration. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He's not going to roll out a freshman QB to learn on the job next year.  Everyone who has any feel on the pulse here says we are going full bore after a portal QB this off season - a 1 year guy to bridge the gap and give Deuce time to develop.  Look, he knows he missed on Thorne being fixed with better weapons around him and missed bad.  He's going to do everything not to repeat that error.

there is no historical evidence to support this (re: freeze), but i suppose we'll see.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No.  He'd pissed off every money person at Auburn, ran off Bo Nix, and had a recruiting class ranked in the 40s or 50s depending on which service you looked at.  That's not the situation we have.

But also, you can get away with that kind of stuff once.  You do it two times in a row and you're begging to be wandering the wilderness for a decade longer.

How many of these recruits are we gonna keep when we go 3-9? And how many of the “Freeze Five” that aren’t getting touches are we gonna keep? Guess we’ll find out. My gut tells me these kids are gonna look at places that are winning and have an offense with a pulse.

But let’s worry about optics ‘ cause we are Auburn 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I think it was more than a whiff, I think it was Hubris. He thought he could make PT better like he has stated he has done with other QB's in the past. I guess we will see, I hope he chooses wisely,I guess we will see how it plays out. Just brutal to watch right now...

UT is not an example of doing it right.  They're a cautionary tale of what can happen.  They haven't been relevant for almost 15 years until now.

Of course you want to do a better job of hiring. But which coach should UT have stuck with longer, between Fulmer and Heupel?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Hmm, well I think year by year we are approaching that number....been a long time since we have been relevant.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Just like he was gonna get a portal qb after the season last year, right?

Just now, cbo said:

Of course you want to do a better job of hiring. But which coach should UT have stuck with longer, between Fulmer and Heupel?

yeah, this idea that you have to stick with a guy that ain't it is dumb. they get paid a lot of money. a lot should be expected of them. its a hot pan and quick cook time. if they can't produce you move on. NIL almost completely negates losing recruits like it used to because they can go whether the coach stays or not.

you don't let fear of striking out keep you from swinging..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, cbo said:

Yeah, UT just shows that hiring coaches isn't easy. They didn't do anything "wrong".

Kiffin was a good hire but he screwed them and left. Derek Dooley was a bad pick and a bad hire, and they fired him appropriately after 3 seasons. Butch Jones got 5 seasons and 3 of those were actually winning seasons, with 2 being 9-win seasons. Ultimately a failed hire, but he wasn't horrendous and they didn't fire him "too early". Then they hired Pruitt who was the hot-shot SEC coordinator candidate and elite recruiter and he got them slapped by the NCAA. Again he wasn't fired "too early".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

His job is on the line next season. He has to win. I don't think he's THAT stupid. He's not rolling out a freshman nor is he rolling out anyone on the current roster who can't even beat out Thorne.

• Like 1

Obviously our star qb’s aren’t doing anything in practice or they are unable to learn anything . Guess Thorne takes up all of the practice time to prove freeze is right.

does practice include the qb seeing any pressure or just uncovered receivers making perfect catches from perfect passes.

Just now, metafour said:

His job is on the line next season. He has to win. I don't think he's THAT stupid. He's not rolling out a freshman nor is he rolling out anyone on the current roster who can't even beat out Thorne.

I don’t put any stupid decision past a coach after the Harsin debacle.

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I feel like these discussions are some weird AUF Groundhog Day thing that has to be told to people over and over again.

Yes, they looked to upgrade the QB position via the portal.  Had Riley Leonard (who many people here wanted bad) until they reneged on a deal that had been agreed to and got an agent involved.  Cam Ward wanted close to $2 million.  The QB market was kinda insane.  NIL funds while healthy at Auburn, are not limitless.  If you spend crazy money on one guy you're making a choice to forgo other players you need - and our needs were many.  Given the lay of the land, and Thorne's history at MSU when he had good WRs, the decision was made to invest that money in the pieces around him.  

Now I know it has not panned out.  But the situation going into this offseason is simply not the same.  The information we have available is not the same.  And if I'm hearing correctly, the money available to go fix this QB situation is not the same.

So yes, he wanted a portal QB, made a bad call in hindsight because of the QB market going nuts and the number of holes on the roster that needed addressing, and he doesn't intend to let it happen again.

Can everyone copy this and save it to their notes somewhere for future reference now?

9 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Hmm, well I think year by year we are approaching that number....been a long time since we have been relevant.

It's been almos 7 years since that 2017 season where we had a shot at the playoff until Kerryon got hurt.  So yeah, we're almost halfway to UT's futility.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

So you are saying none of the players are being coached up. That explains what we are seeing. Freeze is just buying time hoping some of the snake oil he’s selling will work out enough to keep him on. Even he is confused, surprised and bewildered at how bad we are. 

• Like 1

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I feel like these discussions are some weird AUF Groundhog Day thing that has to be told to people over and over again.

Yes, they looked to upgrade the QB position via the portal.  Had Riley Leonard (who many people here wanted bad) until they reneged on a deal that had been agreed to and got an agent involved.  Cam Ward wanted close to $2 million.  The QB market was kinda insane.  NIL funds while healthy at Auburn, are not limitless.  If you spend crazy money on one guy you're making a choice to forgo other players you need - and our needs were many.  Given the lay of the land, and Thorne's history at MSU when he had good WRs, the decision was made to invest that money in the pieces around him.  

Now I know it has not panned out.  But the situation going into this offseason is simply not the same.  The information we have available is not the same.  And if I'm hearing correctly, the money available to go fix this QB situation is not the same.

So yes, he wanted a portal QB, made a bad call in hindsight because of the QB market going nuts and the number of holes on the roster that needed addressing, and he doesn't intend to let it happen again.

Can everyone copy this and save it to their notes somewhere for future reference now?

Ok.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

This is what gets me. Who freaking cares what the market is if we are being told he had the money to get the player but his own ego got in the way? It’s one thing if we have to budget buy but that was not what had been alluded in the past. So yeah if this was the case, it is not as simple as an “oops mistake.” 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I certainly will. About this time next year good for ya?

2 hours ago, DAG said:

We would probably have to find a young , up and comer, who knows how to navigate the NIL land. Who that is? No clue . It would not surprise at all if we kicked the tires on the Liberty coach (yes the new one), someone we are familiar with such as Rhett and of course a retread who would want an insane contract .

I think grabbing some coaches these days with NIL will be more difficult.

Take Rhett. He is currently in a position at SMU to make the playoffs this year. SMU does have money. Why leave that gig for Auburn right now. I think some of these guys in Rhett's position will be harder to get out of those jobs. Then you look at someone like Chip Kelly which is happier being a coordinator now than a head coach.

Heck. Rhett actually might not be a bad hire to be truthful.

Who didn’t pay their 17 bucks a month!?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, fasttimes61 said:

there is no historical evidence to support this (re: freeze), but i suppose we'll see.

There's no historical evidence for Freeze getting or developing QBs on his teams?