Can Auburn win out?

Win4AU

Mizzou - looked very beatable in blowout loss to TaMu and close wins vs BC and Vandy

Kentucky - which Kentucky team shows up?  The one that lost to Vandy and USCe or the one that beat Ole Miss?

Vandy - Auburn returns home and won’t be taking this game lightly following NMSU last year.  Vandy could be in the top half of the SEC at this point.

ULM - they’re 5-1 but who knows how good they actually are?  Auburn “should” be able to win this one based on talent alone.

Texas A&M - possibly the best team left on Auburn’s schedule.  At home will help.

Alabama - Control the clock and win the turnover battle.  Maybe it’s just a hiccup but after Vandy and USCe there is definitely blood in the water.  How big of a win would this be?  

To me this team has continued to look better each week and Hugh is finally realizing that the running game is the key to winning.  Is it possible?  Yes.  Is it probable?  No.  Bowl practice would be huge for this young team.  

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s possible tbh. We don’t have anyone who can even come close to defending Ryan Williams 1 on 1. Their short to middle passing game has also been pretty decent this year, and UGA tore us to shreds over the middle with cheap stuff like that. I doubt we’re really going to move the ball much on A&M with their front line and Eiko designing coverages for Thorne. 

I just can’t see a team with a bad QB in clutch situations, a VERY young secondary, a poor DC, and a front 7 that outside of Faulk…doesn’t appear to be great, going from 2-4 to 6-6 while playing 4 teams that look concretely better than that team. If you can’t finish against California and Arkansas, what are you going to do against Alabama? 

Liberty also lost to NMSU by 35 after being favored by 26, then Freeze turned out and repeated that same effort against them with double the talent at Auburn. After preaching all week that they were going to be a problem.

Unless someone else is going to be doing the one preparing them for Pavia this time, I don’t see how him not taking Pavia lightly helps Auburn 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Unless someone else is going to be doing the one preparing them for Pavia this time, I don’t see how him not taking Pavia lightly helps Auburn 

Third time is a charm?  

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Mizzou - looked very beatable in blowout loss to TaMu and close wins vs BC and Vandy

Kentucky - which Kentucky team shows up?  The one that lost to Vandy and USCe or the one that beat Ole Miss?

Vandy - Auburn returns home and won’t be taking this game lightly following NMSU last year.  Vandy could be in the top half of the SEC at this point.

ULM - they’re 5-1 but who knows how good they actually are?  Auburn “should” be able to win this one based on talent alone.

Texas A&M - possibly the best team left on Auburn’s schedule.  At home will help.

Alabama - Control the clock and win the turnover battle.  Maybe it’s just a hiccup but after Vandy and USCe there is definitely blood in the water.  How big of a win would this be?  

To me this team has continued to look better each week and Hugh is finally realizing that the running game is the key to winning.  Is it possible?  Yes.  Is it probable?  No.  Bowl practice would be huge for this young team.  

I too think the team is improving and looking better.  I believe we will beat Mizzou this weekend.  If so, it will amplify our confidence, and we will have a shot in all remaining games.

• Like 2

I can see 4-2. A&M is playing up to the hype and UAT will be very tough but not impossible. It starts with Mizzu, if we get that one I think we get KY Vandy and ULM. The defense needs to get turnovers to help the offense. Getting pressure on the QB often and early. JH needs to get 20 touches each game ou r we won’t win, IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Teams will not play us square up. They will scheme to stop the run, force Thorne to beat them. Probably good plan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

4-2 in the last 6 is the ceiling for this team in my opinion. 

At this point, that would be great. It would get us into a bowl game. Younger players and recruits would find that useful.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Let’s start with one and go from there.

Exactly. After suffering through 21,22,23 and now 24, a win on the road against a well coached team with talent, would make me ecstatic. I do believe we could go 4/2, but only if we beat Mizzou. At this point NMSU is nowhere near a lock and Vandy scares me at home or in Nashville. I just think the hole is too deep to hit 6 wins this year, with the way this team plays and is coached. Nothing tells me this offense will score more than 22/24 against any team with a pulse. So hope I’m wrong and that it starts tomorrow. We are right on the doorstep of being considered the worst team in the SEC. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Vandy has two losses: a 2-4 GaSt team and Mizzou. Both of these teams won time of possession. Jerry Kills system is akin to the triple option and if they are allowed to eat 45 seconds per play they win. My defensive strategy would be to play unconventional and be willing to give up the big play. Get into a shootout and they’re very beatable. Play them conventional and let them bleed clock and Pavia is suddenly Drew Brees. We learned last season what doesn’t work. 

27 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Vandy has two losses: a 2-4 GaSt team and Mizzou. Both of these teams won time of possession. Jerry Kills system is akin to the triple option and if they are allowed to eat 45 seconds per play they win. My defensive strategy would be to play unconventional and be willing to give up the big play. Get into a shootout and they’re very beatable. Play them conventional and let them bleed clock and Pavia is suddenly Drew Brees. We learned last season what doesn’t work. 

Somebody get this man a headset.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Bowl practice would be huge for this young team

Not to change the subject but is this actually true anymore?? From last years experience it didn’t sound like anyone was taking the opportunity seriously 

18 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Not to change the subject but is this actually true anymore?? From last years experience it didn’t sound like anyone was taking the opportunity seriously 

Supposedly those folks are gone.  I think the younger guys looking for playing time will take them seriously.  Extra practices are extra reps.  If someone isn’t taking it serious then that’s on the coaches for allowing that to go on.

• Like 1

Listed in order of likelihood:

#1. Auburn splits Mizzou/Kentucky, loses to Vandy, beats ULM, loses to TAMU and Bama to finish 4-8

#2. Same as above but beat Vandy to finish 5-7

#3. Auburn only beats ULM to finish 3-9

#4. Auburn loses out

#5. Auburn somehow beats TAMU at home but in classic Freeze fashion, loses to ULM in a blowout to finish something like 5-7

#567. Auburn wins out

The better question is...can Auburn still become bowl eligible?

And the answer is no. It's a BETTER question, just with the same answer.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

Somebody get this man a headset.

Admittedly, I got a little over excited about this. (But it might be worth a try, and my buyout is very reasonable) 😅

Chances of winning out are hovering around zero. 

First half of the schedule was easier than the second and mostly at home. No one on here predicted 2-4 at this point. 

I hope we improve to finish the season. Can't say we did last year. Can't say we have improved from last season to this one. 4-2 would be a huge improvement and a good sign. 

• Like 1