CHF Negativity - honest question

I have seen the back and forth in regards to the negativity (critical?) in regards to CHF current coaching performance. I can't speak for anyone else but I would say I have been more critical then negative but I guess that can be seen differently based on perspective. So the honest question I have for everyone is what IS the appropriate time period that we should be giving CHF. I am going to try to refrain from posting the rest of the season in regards to CHF performance but it just had me thinking what kind time frames do folks think that we should be giving to him. Maybe some believe that we should never be critical of CHF but I guess for me seeing all the comments I just wanted to know at what point does that change, year 3, year 4...etc.

War Eagle!  

i think freeze is paying for a bad decision he made concerning QB's. we are paying for that choice right now as well. part of the problem is freeze made some coaching changes that set us back. and we are desperate for some glory days as it has been too long. if we had won the ironbowl last year i think people would be i a better frame of mind. i want at least eight wins next year. if we had a decent qb we would not have a losing record right now tho i doubt we beat ga. they have beat us eight years in a row and i am getting sick of it. i think we do get it turned around just maybe not on everyone's timeline. and if it does not work out we should still be loaded for bear.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is a vague post. Time frame in winning championships? Time frame over having a winning record ? Time frame of beating half of our rivals? 

I mean the obvious is if we were winning games that we are suppose to be winning 90% of these fanbase would be content with how things are. That’s the truth and people can run from it all they want. There is nothing negative about expecting Auburn to not embarrass themselves against the likes of NMSU. 

For me I just would like to have a competitive team that is in the mix and like you said win games that we should be winning.

• Like 1

Any honest coversation about the TEAM that doesn't also include players and their performance is futile.

Edited by creed
  • Like 1

Hugh Freeze’s RPO has been a turnover machine nearly every year. He only knows RPO and doesn’t know how to adapt an offense to his players. He’s effectively a system where every QB he’s had has produced plenty turnovers. I believe Elitor posted a video on this. May not be a QB issue may be a coach/system issue.

Edited by sevenlee36
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Hugh Freeze’s RPO has been a turnover machine nearly every year. He only knows RPO and doesn’t know how to adapt an offense to his players. He’s effectively a system where every QB he’s had has produced plenty turnovers. I believe Elinor posted a video on this. May not be a QB issue may be a coach/system issue.

You do know we didnt have one TO against UGA right?

4 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

You do know we didnt have one TO against UGA right?

Yes I do know that. Thank goodness we didn’t!Doesnt mean he’s coaching to maximize players abilities.

Edited by sevenlee36

Nothing wrong with being critical. He was hired to do a job. Right now he is 8-11 and has stacked some terrible losses along the way.

His decisions are fair game to be questioned. Flash back to the intro press conference. He talked about his ability to turn programs around quickly and develop the QB position. He did not help himself with setting that bar with the product on the field in year two is not good right now.

He should have at least three years as a minimum to show improvement and have a winning season. Trending is the key and right now it is a regressive trend, but I think the team played better against UGA than expected.

His problem is better play is not translating to wins, especially ones that we should be beating. Maybe the bye week will help flip the switch. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Hugh Freeze’s RPO has been a turnover machine nearly every year. He only knows RPO and doesn’t know how to adapt an offense to his players. He’s effectively a system where every QB he’s had has produced plenty turnovers. I believe Elitor posted a video on this. May not be a QB issue may be a coach/system issue.

Sounds a lot like another coach I know all too well. At least Hugh is a better recruiter 

He will be here next season. End of story. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Yes I do know that. Thank goodness we didn’t!Doesnt mean he’s coaching to maximize players abilities.

Can you provide and example?

2 hours ago, bishoptf said:

I have seen the back and forth in regards to the negativity (critical?) in regards to CHF current coaching performance. I can't speak for anyone else but I would say I have been more critical then negative but I guess that can be seen differently based on perspective. So the honest question I have for everyone is what IS the appropriate time period that we should be giving CHF. I am going to try to refrain from posting the rest of the season in regards to CHF performance but it just had me thinking what kind time frames do folks think that we should be giving to him. Maybe some believe that we should never be critical of CHF but I guess for me seeing all the comments I just wanted to know at what point does that change, year 3, year 4...etc.

War Eagle!  

Every coach does bad coaching in every game. We are highlighting the bad calls and deciding that makes him unqualified. That is the issue. It changes when the finances make it necessary. I will probably expect great results in four years.

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, creed said:

Can you provide and example?

Not coaching to maximize player ability.

1 hour ago, bishoptf said:

For me I just would like to have a competitive team that is in the mix and like you said win games that we should be winning.

Thats how I feel. I am grateful for the recruiting classes but we got to start winning games too. In this new age of recruiting, you can have them then all of a sudden they are gone. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

This is a vague post. Time frame in winning championships? Time frame of having a winning record ? Time frame of beating half of our rivals? 

I mean the obvious is if we were winning games that we are suppose to be winning 90% of these fanbase would be content with how things are. That’s the truth and people can run from it all they want. There is nothing negative about expecting Auburn to not embarrass themselves against the likes of NMSU. 

In such a 'time frame' does HF learn how to coach better? We aren't losing most of these games because of a talent gap. So are people here admitting HF needs FAR superior talent to win games he should already be winning?

Also @DAG, ain't none of yall making it back into the nest handing out reasonable takes and not pumping constant sunshine.

I think we all see something different when we watch because we all look for different things. I feel like we are improving. If we play as good as we did against Oklahoma or Georgia then we beat Cal and Ark…and possibly Oklahoma. We still may talent mistakes at most of our positions we make youth mistakes at others and then we are also just having the occasional flub that is inexplicable. When all of those show up like they did to a great extent we get Cal and Ark. 

I’m ok watching the team grow and expecting more next year and significantly more the year after. Recruiting is the most important thing right now in my opinion and if the losses this year don’t affect it then I think we are fine. 
Other than oline in key positions and a little at db I believe we are improving. Unfortunately those are HUGE problems at the wrong times. 

• Like 1

Great teams have great recruiting, great play calling, and great discipline. I've seen way too many posts suggesting you can consistently win with poor talent, pointing to the weekend games of Vandy and AK. It's simply not true, look at the last many years of playoffs and championships, there isn't even one example of a team with poor talent in there. Yes there are upsets by teams with poor talent, but not consistent winners.

My opinion: Coming off the Harsin years, and probably to some degree the Gus years, I doubt if we could have landed a coach that was good at all phases. A coach with all of those will first look to see if it's possible to recruit good players to the prospective job. If it's not, then why would they have any interest in that job? After the Gus/Harsin years it would be plausible that top candidates might have doubts that he could land top classes at AU.

So we did the smart thing, we got a guy that can at least prove you can recruit top classes to AU. Maybe he can learn to handle the rest, we'll see over time. However, if we have to move to another coach, at least the new hire will know that he can land top classes at AU. And he will come in without the cupboard being bare. In the age of trying to get back to a top level program it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully CHF will learn to handle all phases of a top program, if not, we're still moving the right direction. We just have to let it play out.

• Like 2

To me it feels like they need to be 8+ wins next year and in the hunt for the SEC title in 2026 (in the hunt, not dominant).

That's a tall order because the Auburn QB position next year is unknown, and the SEC is the best, top-to-bottom, it's been in years. Also, offensive player development and play calling has to improve.

On the plus side, out side the QB position Auburn has young talent at every position. The defensive play development has been great, defensive game planning and play calling has been good and improving.

What can Auburn do to get to 8+ wins next year? They need to get a really good portal QB and (IMHO) a new OC. Sorry, but the offensive game planning, play calling and player development has been seriously lacking. Dunno how that's being split between Hugh and Derrick Nix, but it needs to be improved and Hugh obviously doesn't have time to do everything himself (and I don't blame him, the new college landscape asks too much of coaches; football programs now need general managers).

The offense has been a liability all year, despite having the best running back and receiver in the SEC. Despite being a senior, Thorne isn't able to run this offense and the coaches don't know how to establish the running game.

And they may not want to. It feels like the way this team has been coached this year and the plays being called are all happening to help recruit QBs and receivers.

15 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

In such a 'time frame' does HF learn how to coach better? We aren't losing most of these games because of a talent gap. So are people here admitting HF needs FAR superior talent to win games he should already be winning?

Also @DAG, ain't none of yall making it back into the nest handing out reasonable takes and not pumping constant sunshine.

Yes that is exactly what is happening here and at that paid other place as well.  

The lack of talent excuse is on one hand valid. Then Vandy beats Bama and it goes out the window. There is enough talent to be winning more than we have the past two seasons. This team goes into an off week relatively healthy and about to face a Mizzou team that got dismantled by a program with a first year coach. Then an average Ky team, Vandy, and LaMonroe. Freeze needs to win some of those games. 

• Like 2

I believe in calling a spade a spade even with some of the improvements on every game u see constant flaws. Some might be more optimistic than me but if Auburn finishes with 3 or 4 wins expecting 8 wins in 2025 is a significant jump even with a portal qb. Keep in mind this team has more CHF guys than last year. After next year some of the guys can leave like Kevin Faulk. I know people realize recruiting is only one aspect to winning because if that was the case TAMU would have made the playoffs and we know that didn’t happen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

The lack of talent excuse is on one hand valid. Then Vandy beats Bama and it goes out the window. There is enough talent to be winning more than we have the past two seasons. This team goes into an off week relatively healthy and about to face a Mizzou team that got dismantled by a program with a first year coach. Then an average Ky team, Vandy, and LaMonroe. Freeze needs to win some of those games. 

IMO the difference between Vandy and Auburn is the QB. Pavia's expertise with his system vs Thorne, who still looks uncomfortable and lost at times in the RPO.

Knowing what we know now, it's pretty easy to say they'd be 4-1 right now if the offense had focused on the running game from the start. But it feels like Hugh's offense "has to" pass for some reason. I don't know if that's for recruiting reasons, or because heavy running teams can't come from behind, or some other reasons, but we don't have a QB who can run the RPO this year and that has been a drag on this whole season.

• Like 1