Vs OU Post Game Thread

26 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What’s crazy af is that we are statistically better in every offensive and defensive category other than turnovers. Props to the team for only having one yesterday. But that one was devastating, and the defense didn’t even force one on a freshman making his first start. 

We basically gave that freshman all the confidence in the world. True freshman with a depleted WRs corps walks away with a victory.

Just lean on Jarquez Hunter at the end of that game and put the ball in the hands of your most talented and experienced player. But instead we put the ball in Mr Turnovers hands. Call run plays in that situation not that RPO crap. Your option is to run Hunter that’s it run the clock out, break the huddle. 

Edited by sevenlee36
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

We basically gave that freshman all the confidence in the world. True freshman with a depleted WRs corps walks away with a victory.

I know. And outside of 3 plays that kid didn’t do a thing. Just pathetic.

Trying to take a step back from the ledge here... Do yall think this squad is better than last year? All the stats except turnovers says we are by a long shot. I guess what Im asking,  say we win 5 games this year. With all that's went wrong this year, if we add a couple pieces in the portal. Can this be a 9 or 10 win team next year. This team isn't as bad as 2012, which got blown out 5 or 6 games and pretty much quit on Chiz. Then the next year we played for a natty. I'm trying to make sense of the senseless,  I guess. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Trying to take a step back from the ledge here... Do yall think this squad is better than last year? All the stats except turnovers says we are by a long shot. I guess what Im asking,  say we win 5 games this year. With all that's went wrong this year, if we add a couple pieces in the portal. Can this be a 9 or 10 win team next year. This team isn't as bad as 2012, which got blown out 5 or 6 games and pretty much quit on Chiz. Then the next year we played for a natty. I'm trying to make sense of the senseless,  I guess. 

We’re closer than it seems right now. With a slightly above average QB we would be 5-0 with this roster which is still below most other SEC teams. Yesterday on defense we had freshmen J Crawford, K Harris, Malik Blocton, Demarcus Riddick, Amaris WIlliams, and Jamonte Waller on the field and most of them played very well. Throw in sophomores like Faulk and K Lee and we will have considerably more talent on that side of the ball. On offense we will be stacked at the WR position and have a lot of O linemen returning in the sophomore and freshmen classes. The obvious key is finding a playmaker at QB and 2025 could be when we turn the corner. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I still say it’s the lack of coaching, preparation and scheme. Until that’s fixed Auburn can’t move forward. Second drive of the game coach playing musical chairs on the goal line instead of handing the ball to Hunter. Right before the half poor use of clock and had to run a fire drill field goal with a bad angle. Running the ball down OU throat but drive stalls because felt the need to throw. Trying to kick a 51 yard field goal with a kicker with shaken confidence. Lastly letting PT throw. I believe it was the previous drive on the goal line that play almost got picked. I believe the oline played well and u can see some of the young guys on defense starting to stick out.  

*UGA will probably give a better assessment of where the team is. OU had a true freshman at quarterback and all five receivers out. Someone said that’s like playing WW with no KLS, Simmons, Coleman, Fairweather and Lewis that’s scary when u think about it

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Gene Chizik was another bad coach but he did recruit at a high level, so those teams had talent. I would not say this team, even with a #1 recruiting class is as talented as that 2013 team just yet. 

11 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Like Bammer's have been saying the last few weeks, "Y'all may have gotten the Freeze 4 but we got the only one that really matters." I think Ryan has more TD's and receiving yards than the Freeze 4 combined.

The kid is unbelievable for any age but especially for a 17 year old. I think Ryan will get over 1,000 yards receiving this season. Julio Jones got 925 yards receiving his freshman season and I could see Ryan getting well past that in DeBoer's offense. Georgia hadn't given up a touchdown to anyone since they played Bama in the SECCG last year. Dating back to when Richt was UGA's coach, Bama just seems to have UGA's number. Kirby's 1-6 against Bama now. 

Georgia only lost tonight because they were looking ahead to the Auburn game. 😅

Ryan was generational no doubt. I think Cam would be right there if he had Jalen Milroe throwing to him and Washington’s offensive scheme behind him. They’d be comparable statistically no doubt in my mind 

The record may end up looking like 2012, but this team is playing at a level that the 2012 team never reached. Nearly 500 yards against the Oklahoma defense? Only allowed 291? When you look at the stat sheet, it looks like we won. 

I think what we have is a culture of not knowing how to win, how to finish opponents. We play extremely well in spurts. But, when crunch time comes, we find new and increasingly painful and creative ways to lose. 

This goes back much farther than Freeze. Or Harsin. This goes back to 2014 Gus- the fumble against A&M. Kicking all those short field goals at Bama. I know a lot of people look back on the Gus era with rose colored nostalgia glasses. I remember games of sub 200 yard offensive performances where we kept trying to run up the middle, of defensive coaches calling out our plays. 

This offense can be explosive. This defense has played well enough to be 5-0. Our problem is mental. The staff has to change the mentality on how they’re teaching the players. The will to finish has to be installed in them somehow.

• Like 1

If you want watch that clip with Thorne throwing the pick 6, look where Coleman starts from and how he catches up to the OU guy who scored. Having that speed with the catch radius and body Coleman has is unreal. 

I don’t think the guy has been mentally engaged the way he needed to since that injury but I applaud him from bouncing back from that early drop

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yesterday on defense we had freshmen J Crawford, K Harris, Malik Blocton, Demarcus Riddick, Amaris WIlliams, and Jamonte Waller on the field and most of them played very well. Throw in sophomores like Faulk and K Lee and we will have considerably more talent on that side of the ball. 

I couldn't agree more.  IMO Riddick had 2 wow plays.   One where he ran the freshman down from the middle of the field and nearly broke the kid's neck on the sideline and another where he again blew the freshman up and looked like he was shot out of a cannon.   You give these kids that GW lists another year of S&C and look out.   The main issue is well-documented here.  I'm hearing WW is not developing as expected and this is supported by the fact he doesn't get on the field despite our current QB play.   And, Cam Ward is the only portal qb from the last cycle that I am aware of that has been a difference maker.   So the portal isn't a guarantee by any stretch... 

• Like 3

I think we just have some serious personnel issues that can only be addressed through multiple years of high-level recruiting.

We have had so many recruiting busts over the last 10 plus years that even highly ranked classes produced average results. The number of 4-star recruits who played like 2-stars seemed much higher for us compared to other teams. I put most of that blame on very poor scouting. Then there was the weird issue of both Gus Malzhan and Bryan Harsin not recruiting enough offensive linemen. Plus we have had significant exoduses of players due to all of the coaching turmoil.

I count four former Auburn offensive linemen in the NFL, and one is Jack Driscoll who was a transfer from Massachusetts.

The portal is not the answer to any team's roster challenges. Remember, there is a reason an athlete is in the portal. Occasionally an exceptional talent will end up in the portal due to a coaching change or other reason, but most of the time it is an athlete who is underperforming expectations.

Our program was in a world of hurt going into 2020, and has yet to recover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, placekicker said:

The record may end up looking like 2012, but this team is playing at a level that the 2012 team never reached. Nearly 500 yards against the Oklahoma defense? Only allowed 291? When you look at the stat sheet, it looks like we won. 

I think what we have is a culture of not knowing how to win, how to finish opponents. We play extremely well in spurts. But, when crunch time comes, we find new and increasingly painful and creative ways to lose. 

This goes back much farther than Freeze. Or Harsin. This goes back to 2014 Gus- the fumble against A&M. Kicking all those short field goals at Bama. I know a lot of people look back on the Gus era with rose colored nostalgia glasses. I remember games of sub 200 yard offensive performances where we kept trying to run up the middle, of defensive coaches calling out our plays. 

This offense can be explosive. This defense has played well enough to be 5-0. Our problem is mental. The staff has to change the mentality on how they’re teaching the players. The will to finish has to be installed in them somehow.

How someone can blame this on Gus is very impressive lol. I have no love for him but Gus didn’t lose that game for last night. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

How someone can blame this on Gus is very impressive lol. I have no love for him but Gus didn’t lose that game for last night. 

Bbbut we don’t have any depth because of Gus (who last coached FIVE years ago for Auburn)!!! Haven’t you heard??

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Bbbut we don’t have any depth because of Gus (who last coached FIVE years ago for Auburn)!!! Haven’t you heard??

Apparently our troubles are from a fumble against aTm 10 years ago. 😂

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Les Miles never got around to having the witch doctor cancel the hex.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUx said:

Les Miles never got around to having the witch doctor cancel the hex.

IMG_2631.gif

I guess we will find out very early if this team is still locked in. A glimpse of the players being so dejected was rough. Pretty much the only positive argument for CHF is recruiting. Take that away and Harsin actually had a better prepared team. 

35 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Honestly when I’m really sulking after a bad loss, I do think back to that game…as bad it sounds 

But to confirm, we are not 2-3 in 2024 no matter how soul crushing that loss was.

3 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

😂😂😂😂 No sir, I’m not blaming the game last night on him, but our culture of not finishing games and finding new ways to lose has been with us for a while now. 

• Thanks 1

Had we shelled out for a stud portal QB we’d be 5-0 and dreaming about making the playoffs. But our cheapskate coach didn’t want to spend the money. That’s all this comes down to. 

2 minutes ago, BustemBigBlue said:

Had we shelled out for a stud portal QB we’d be 5-0 and dreaming about making the playoffs. But our cheapskate coach didn’t want to spend the money. That’s all this comes down to. 

Big part of it for sure 

On 9/28/2024 at 7:23 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

Turnover machines can’t be coached up, only benched.

Not that I am saying PT is a great QB, but Coaches kids (dad and granddad) are usually knowledgeable about Football. Coach Freeze did sign him I think for $300K, not sure how that works. He has also signed WW, maybe he has him ready to go in. HB (Tennessee High School State Champion/NFL QB Trent Dilfer HC) has the talent. I believe Coach Freeze signed both of them. There are good options there. Thanks for the reply.

1 hour ago, EastTNTiger said:

Not that I am saying PT is a great QB, but Coaches kids (dad and granddad) are usually knowledgeable about Football. Coach Freeze did sign him I think for $300K, not sure how that works. He has also signed WW, maybe he has him ready to go in. HB (Tennessee High School State Champion/NFL QB Trent Dilfer HC) has the talent. I believe Coach Freeze signed both of them. There are good options there. Thanks for the reply.

Wth have you been smoking the last 5 weeks? 😂 I assume you’ve watched the same QB’s everyone else has.