Vs OU Post Game Thread

Having a night to sleep on it, I do think we made a good deal of progress yesterday.  We cleaned up the turnovers (but the one we did have was a catastrophe) and we basically dominated the game for almost 3 1/2 quarters.  Most of what we need now is on the mental side and frankly, Freeze needs to come to terms with who he has at QB, not who he thinks they ought to be.  Simply put, call better plays in critical situations.  Don't put it on Thorne to make the right call in that situation where they baited us into that INT - tell him what to do.  If you want to run the ball there, don't call an RPO, call a run and tell him on the mic "DO NOT check out of this into a pass.  You can check into a different run if warranted."

Georgia aside, I wonder if it might actually help these guys to go on the road.  Less pressure, not hearing the groans and such when the mistakes happen.  It's like they are waiting for the other shoe to drop and something to go wrong and they just need to close the deal and have some success to shake that off.  This isn't a horrible team but it's a team whose confidence in critical moments is shaky at best.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

The question I would like Freeze to answer is if none of the other QBs are ready to step in or not SEC ready then why he didnt see this and go to the portal. Am I wrong that Thorne doesnt appear to handle pressure and doesnt seem to be the leader of this team? I just havent seen the it factor or fire in him. Just tired and a loss for words right now War Eagle!

• Like 1

Just now, Muscle Shoals Tiger said:

The question I would like Freeze to answer is if none of the other QBs are ready to step in or not SEC ready then why he didnt see this and go to the portal. Am I wrong that Thorne doesnt appear to handle pressure and doesnt seem to be the leader of this team? I just havent seen the it factor or fire in him. Just tired and a loss for words right now War Eagle!

Thorne is an okay QB in the right system. This is not the right system for him and Freeze should’ve caught that very early on and not simply gambled on it. It is what it is now though. We just got keep and praying , hoping for the best o suppose. 

• Like 1

That is just one of many blunders he has made as a head coach in his short time at the plains. Year 2 of this…

3 minutes ago, Muscle Shoals Tiger said:

I don't think that Hank Brown (a RS freshman), Walker White (a true freshman) and Holden Geriner (a RS sophomore Potato Man recruit who hasn't been able to beat out anyone) not being able to run the system is an issue.  That's fairly normal most of the time.  

The only issue is Thorne not being able to and while I get what Hugh was thinking in terms of improving the pieces around him to hopefully see the 2021 version of Thorne this year, it was a huge miss.

• Like 2

I was excited about the team’s response to OU’s quick first touchdown. We seemed to take it in stride.

Again, with all the improvements-only 1 (BIG) game losing turnover, great running game, improved Defense only 1 (BIG) game changing missed pass coverage, solid game plan (except for CHF high school wildcat and time management lapse), we still lost the game.

Everything was not positive, but with more attention to detail by the coaches, the team seemed to have made some positive strides.

But when we didn’t keep doing what was working (see Jarquez Hunter gain 27 yards on our last drive around their 35), we gave OU a crack at coming back and they blew our doors off.

That was coaching (lack of) pure and simple. I do not know if CHF can recognize that and choose to be more attentive to his own mistakes as a game-time coach.

If not, he may never make it again at this level. If he can see his weaknesses, then there may be hope for him and Auburn. 

I hope he has the capacity to reflect and grow. Speaking for myself, I am getting too old for regime change every 2 years.

Edited by au701948

10 hours ago, jluvah said:

Like I said, it was you. Thanks for confirming.

Not in a post game thread & that was in the OP.

Same Ol, same ol.. razor thin margin of error. Qb that can't handle pressure.. Best DB on team gets burned by 3rd string WR.. Wr runs wrong route..A coach who puts in a 175 lb qb to run wildcat.. The list is endless. We need 5* at every position to overcome this mess.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Same Ol, same ol.. razor thin margin of error. Qb that can't handle pressure.. Best DB on team gets burned by 3rd string WR.. Wr runs wrong route..A coach who puts in a 175 lb qb to run wildcat.. The list is endless. We need 5* at every position to overcome this mess.

And that will only get us back to competitive with this staff.

Such a weird situation we're in at the moment.  Our offense doesn't look completely inept and you can see the individual talent shine in specific moments, but they just constantly seem lost and disorganized when it matters most.  The defense will always screw up the first drive, then play lights out for 95% of the game, but also panic and collapse when the pressure is highest.  I really don't get it man.  It kind of seems like we try so hard to adjust to the big moments, that we put ourselves in a position to play to our weaknesses and stop doing what we know how to execute well.  4th and 31 is a great example.  We just need to cover one play and decide to pull everyone back for some weird zero pressure coverage scheme we've never run all year, and then no one really knows where to be or how to execute the concept.

We are still better than our record, but just need to play simple football. Stop making stupid changes in an effort to min/max every single moment.  Stop running the wildcat with a 3rd string player at the goal line.  Stop dropping 8 into a weird zone coverage on long plays.  Stop swapping QBs in and out.  Stop throwing the post route when we need 3 yards on 3rd down.  I think we'll steal one or two this year and end up with 5-6 wins, because we are underachieving and at some point we will regress to the mean in points.

CHF is NOT going to get us to the mountain top.  He's a mediocre coach, and truthfully has been that way at every stop.  Seemed pretty obvious when we hired him, don't know how we got our expectations back to national title under this guy.  Just let him restock the cupboard with talent over the next 2-3 years.  Then he needs to go and we need to pay some serious money for a real coach for once.

13 minutes ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Such a weird situation we're in at the moment.  Our offense doesn't look completely inept and you can see the individual talent shine in specific moments, but they just constantly seem lost and disorganized when it matters most.  The defense will always screw up the first drive, then play lights out for 95% of the game, but also panic and collapse when the pressure is highest.  I really don't get it man.  It kind of seems like we try so hard to adjust to the big moments, that we put ourselves in a position to play to our weaknesses and stop doing what we know how to execute well.  4th and 31 is a great example.  We just need to cover one play and decide to pull everyone back for some weird zero pressure coverage scheme we've never run all year, and then no one really knows where to be or how to execute the concept.

We are still better than our record, but just need to play simple football. Stop making stupid changes in an effort to min/max every single moment.  Stop running the wildcat with a 3rd string player at the goal line.  Stop dropping 8 into a weird zone coverage on long plays.  Stop swapping QBs in and out.  Stop throwing the post route when we need 3 yards on 3rd down.  I think we'll steal one or two this year and end up with 5-6 wins, because we are underachieving and at some point we will regress to the mean in points.

CHF is NOT going to get us to the mountain top.  He's a mediocre coach, and truthfully has been that way at every stop.  Seemed pretty obvious when we hired him, don't know how we got our expectations back to national title under this guy.  Just let him restock the cupboard with talent over the next 2-3 years.  Then he needs to go and we need to pay some serious money for a real coach for once.

Very well put, sir!

• Like 1

Woke up optimistic about our Tigers this morning, surprising myself.  Losing isn’t fun but I still think Hugh is putting the right pieces in place for the program.  It’s a QB league, and the right one in this system is going to absolutely send us.  This season is a wash, hope we keep our existing talent and recruits, let’s get a real QB and soar.

WAR DAMN EAGLE 

1 hour ago, Muscle Shoals Tiger said:

Yeah, notice no reporters ask him if he made the wrong decision about not getting a portal qb... Someone needs to ask him that directly.  We all know the answer. Just want him to say it.

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

They will make freshmen mistakes and we are seeing that.

My point is the opposite. Many of our freshmen play more fundamentally sound and make less mistakes than many of our upperclassmen. That’s positive for our freshman because it speaks to their talent level. It’s negative for our coaching staff because it reflects veteran players not getting developed and not getting better. 

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

veteran players not getting developed and not getting better. 

This seems to have been Auburns problem for as far back Bowden’s tenure to me

1 hour ago, Muscle Shoals Tiger said:

well one side of this is all we kept hearing was how much better we were and thorne was balling out at practice. even folks that work in the athletic department were super excited and is an aufam member. freeze said he hated spending that kind of money so here we are.we are getting better but bad choices are killing us. i want to be wowed by what i see on the field.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

My point is the opposite. Many of our freshmen play more fundamentally sound and make less mistakes than many of our upperclassmen. That’s positive for our freshman because it speaks to their talent level. It’s negative for our coaching staff because it reflects veteran players not getting developed and not getting better. 

too many kids missing blocks is a huge problem. and i felt the line did not protect thorne well when oklahoma was coming after after us like their hair was on fire. bad routes as well. i think it gets better but i am not sure it will show in the win column.

I thought the team played better as a whole.  Gotta keep giving the RBs.  They need to be the heart of this offense.  Young DBs played really well.  Other than the first long run they kept the Qb bottled up.  At this point just gotta get better each week and try to beat someone you shouldn’t.  Gotta a wounded Georgia next.

4 hours ago, aubaseball said:

When you stop posting 

You are probably correct. Once the fans lose interest I’m sure the players will as well. Great point I like it!

16 hours ago, DAG said:

This is regression folks..

What’s crazy af is that we are statistically better in every offensive and defensive category other than turnovers. Props to the team for only having one yesterday. But that one was devastating, and the defense didn’t even force one on a freshman making his first start. 

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What’s crazy af is that we are statistically better in every offensive and defensive category other than turnovers. Props to the team for only having one yesterday. But that one was devastating, and the defense didn’t even force one on a freshman making his first start. 

It’s all about the turnovers.  Eliminate that and Auburn’s 5-0.  450 yards of offense against a Brent Venables defense.  Literally a Qb away.  

Anyone that knows Football, knows that there are break downs in this program at every spot.  Changes need to be made at the top. From the BOT to the AD on down.  3 wins, maybe, maybe 4 is what's staring Auburn in the face. Hiring someone else's retread isn't going to cut it. Either go all ex-Auburn or go NFL or go both!! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

• Like 1