Vs OU Post Game Thread

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think Hugh had such a high level of faith in himself and his timeline, which is admirable, but a lot of it seems to be predicated on his past. He hasn't been in the SEC since pre-NIL and Liberty is a top tier G5 school resource wise, with or without him.

I honestly doubt that he was ever prepared for a doomsday scenario, seeing as how he's never had to face that from a program-building perspective. It can honestly be good to have someone that's failed before

Yeah you can definitely see that by some of his decisions on and off the field.

In the 4th, I was thinking this is some sort of dream. But then Thorne awakened me to the nightmare. The excellent defensive plays, the excellent runs by Hunter and Alston, the excellent long balls caught by Simmons, LS and Coleman, all down the drain. It wasn't ALL on Thorne. The inability to score in the red zone, inexcusable FG misses. But it was, once again the QB's inability to take care of the ball that killed us.

I'm not sure I can bare to watch any more Auburn games this season.

Edited by AURex

8 minutes ago, naildawg said:

Not looking forward to Kentucky either or Bama or Mizzou, or Vandy. Pavia's licking his chops

Yeah, we might be 5-0 with a decent qb, but the 3 teams that beat us are NOT good. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

My push back is a loss is a loss. At this point u might as well get HB the experience. PT kept tempting fate with interceptions. His pick  6 sealed the teams fate

Very true

2 hours ago, cbo said:

It wasn't just the end of the game where we blew it.

Second drive of the game. We get zero points after 3rd and goal at the 3 because Thorne runs and then we go with the stupid Sam Jackson wildcat on 4th. Hunter, anyone?

Drive before the half. Time management was awful. 

Yeah. Freeze has an all SEC running back, averaging 6 yards a carry, in Hunter and he gives the ball to a quarterback converted to wide receiver to RUN the ball in short and goal.

How stoopid is that!

And halfime? A true cluster

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

My only thing with Hank is that once OU really started playing pressure, I do think Thorne's legs helped him keep his personal momentum going for a bit longer. I don't really trust Hank to process the defense in front of him, but I definitely don't trust him to process the defense AND figure out when to run, take a sack, throw it away, etc. 

There were just some really bad throws he tried to fit in his previous game and a half. He definitely had good moments and obv has better arm talent, but I just think he (somehow) throws more inexplicable balls than Thorne. In a straight drop back, no RPO-choice offense, maybe it'd be more in favor to him? I dunno

I may be totally wrong here but didn’t Hank run this same offense in high school? I actually see it much differently, I think Hank is much better than Thorne and Arkansas did things on defense to confuse him like showing man coverage and dropping into zone.. Travis was smart.. knew hank was starting and mixed it up. young QBs make those mistakes and the only way they get better is by seeing the live action and playing. That goes for any qb on our roster not named Thorne. Holden will make mistakes, WW will make mistakes.. at this point pick one and ride with them. I honestly never want to see Thorne at qb again. Thorne is a 5th year senior and can’t read a defense. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@jluvahI don't go anywhere near in game or post game threads, but yes, If he played in the 1st half last week, we would have won. As for today yes he made a couple bad mistakes but this L is not completely on him. We left at least 9 points on the board by missing 2 FGs & not kicking a chip shot other one.

Say, E, do you by any chance have some good news to make some of the hurt go away?

40 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I highly doubt we win an SEC game. I say 3 wins unless we play someone who turns the ball over like we do then we might have chance.. this team has to get over the mountain and find a way to win instead of finding ways to lose. Freeze needs to stop making excuses and find a qb who can lead this team. 

It's really really hard to find offenses as bad as what Ark was and OU looked like today. Miss St, but we don't play them I believe. Vandy has honestly been more competent offensively than those two by and large. 

Those DBs are still not great options to me against superior teams. OU and Ark didn't light it up, but imagine Missouri and Alabama in those spots...woof

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

My push back is a loss is a loss. At this point u might as well get HB the experience. PT kept tempting fate with interceptions. His pick  6 sealed the teams fate

4 minutes ago, AURex said:

In the 4th, I was thinking this is some sort of dream. But then Thorne awakened me to the nightmare. The excellent defensive plays, the excellent runs by Hunter and Alston, the excellent long balls caught by Simmons, LS and Coleman, all down the drain. It wasn't ALL on Thorne. The inability to score in the red zone, inexcusable FG misses. But it was, once again the QB's inability to take care of the ball that killed us.

I'm not sure I can bare to watch any more Auburn games this season.

You ain’t alone, brother!

We are in a complete rebuild from the ground up. Recruits will come to Auburn because of money and playing time. We are an Uber young team. FREEZE has been honest with us, he is not turning the ball over, the players at the end of the day have to play the game.

Now could he have schemed better, absolutely. Today was a much better gameplan, should have been doing the same vs. Cal and Arkansas. Freeze called terrible plays on the last series, just absolutely cost us the game. You should not put a qb with shaky confidence in a 5 wide set on 3 and 4 unless you do qb draw. What you do is have slot in motion, fake to Jarquez or give or pull and do sped sweep to outside with Simmons. Just terrible play calling that led to the int.

• Like 2

Just now, AuMarine said:

I may be totally wrong here but didn’t Hank run this same offense in high school? I actually see it much differently, I think Hank is much better than Thorne and Arkansas did things on defense to confuse him like showing man coverage and dropping into zone.. Travis was smart.. knew hank was starting and mixed it up. young QBs make those mistakes and the only way they get better is by seeing the live action and playing. That goes for any qb on our roster not named Thorne. Holden will make mistakes, WW will make mistakes.. at this point pick one and ride with them. I honestly never want to see Thorne at qb again. Thorne is a 5th year senior and can’t read a defense. 

He mixed it up, but it's not like T-Will is one of the elite DCs we'd see this year. Venables would've ate the guy alive with the pressure he brought today. Kirby, Kane Womack, Mike Eiko, whoever Kentucky's guy is. 

I'm more than fine with just throwing him out there and simply allowing him to learn on the job. I just don't think he's as good at running Freeze's scheme as Thorne, which you'd probably expect with where those two are at. Hopefully he does get the chance to start again - it's not like the rest of this season's results matter lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It's really really hard to find offenses as bad as what Ark was and OU looked like today. Miss St, but we don't play them I believe. Vandy has honestly been more competent offensively than those two by and large. 

Those DBs are still not great options to me against superior teams. OU and Ark didn't light it up, but imagine Missouri and Alabama in those spots...woof

Agree. The difference is they find ways to win.. (except arky today) the OU freshman made a big time throw when his team needed it. Arky made plays against us last week when they had to have it. We don’t make those plays.. we turn the ball over or let a receiver get behind us in man coverage. We are just not a good team. We needed a qb in the portal and freeze crapped the bed. 

2 minutes ago, TheDefiant said:

We are in a complete rebuild from the ground up. Recruits will come to Auburn because of money and playing time. We are an Uber young team. FREEZE has been honest with us, he is not turning the ball over, the players at the end of the day have to play the game.

Now could he have schemed better, absolutely. Today was a much better gameplan, should have been doing the same vs. Cal and Arkansas. Freeze called terrible plays on the last series, just absolutely cost us the game. You should not put a qb with shaky confidence in a 5 wide set on 3 and 4 unless you do qb draw. What you do is have slot in motion, fake to Jarquez or give or pull and do sped sweep to outside with Simmons. Just terrible play calling that led to the int.

The rebuild talk isn’t flying any more. The most critical points in the game was due to bad coaching. A field goal before the half was critical but the time management was so bad . U got no shots to the end zone with KLS or Cam

All I gotta say is the only way we are gonna get better is when Auburn decides to take football serious again and it starts with firing Freeze.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Vandy has Pavia, experienced, makes plays, confident.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@jluvahI don't go anywhere near in game or post game threads, but yes, If he played in the 1st half last week, we would have won. As for today yes he made a couple bad mistakes but this L is not completely on him. We left at least 9 points on the board by missing 2 FGs & not kicking a chip shot other one.

Eh everyone keeps saying this but I believe he played the whole CAL game and this whole game and the results are the same. Bottom line he should have never been the starting QB this year, there were other options and Freeze thought he knew better and it's gone south. Freeze needs to get a QB that can run his offense, if he chooses poorly again off season and it goes like this next year he is done, you have to win some games at some point and he's not doing that....his record against FBS teams for the last 2 years is abysmal....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, autiger88 said:

All I gotta say is the only way we are gonna get better is when Auburn decides to take football serious again and it starts with firing Freeze.

I know it sucks but that’s why Auburn is in this situation right now . Firing coaches without a plan. Fire Freeze to get who. It sucks but gotta give him at least one more year

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree this may have been Auburn’s best game plan and execution to date until for some reason freeze went stupid and bizarre and tried to be cute. He put Thorne in a bad situation and poor clock management. 
Freeze is a salesman , poor head coach and in way over his head. 
these type losses are soul and program crushing.  I feel for the players, they left it all on the field for as long as they could.

• Like 1

We can’t play any worse. We should be 5-0, but honestly we are 2-3 for one reason, Thorne. Whether we call the right plays or not, you do not throw a pick there. It’s a handoff. Even if you have a moron for a coach who calls a pass play, if you were even an inkling of a QB you know to hand it off there. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He mixed it up, but it's not like T-Will is one of the elite DCs we'd see this year. Venables would've ate the guy alive with the pressure he brought today. Kirby, Kane Womack, Mike Eiko, whoever Kentucky's guy is. 

I'm more than fine with just throwing him out there and simply allowing him to learn on the job. I just don't think he's as good at running Freeze's scheme as Thorne, which you'd probably expect with where those two are at. Hopefully he does get the chance to start again - it's not like the rest of this season's results matter lol 

Yeah I don’t think Hank is a world beater at all, I think he is better than Thorne which is not saying a lot. The only thing Thorne does better is run. T-will did what all DCs will do against a young qb and it worked.. my thought is we are going to lose, I don’t know who we have left that we even have a shot at beating not named La-Monroe. Therefore play all the young guys. We need something different at qb. Let all the young receivers play. Line up and see what happens.. the young guys will learn as the season moves on and who knows what could happen. 

After the initial disgust, I feel a lot more apathetic about this loss. I honestly just don’t care anymore. Sitting here watching Star Wars. I think I may have finally just given up hope on Auburn football😂😂

In the big picture, what is this now. It’s a pay for wins sport being played by a bunch of overpaid kids who are coached by a bunch of overpaid egomaniacs.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GTNupe11 said:

No one thinks that. Doesn't negate how terrible we look. Not suggesting that you believe that, but still, him being fired no time soon does nothing for the legitimate concerns about the state of our program regardless of recruiting prowess. 

I replied with that answer because it was suggested as a possibility.  It isn't.