Vs OU Post Game Thread

1 minute ago, yngwie1995 said:

Nobody thought it'd be close last year. But we were a 4th and 31 away from beating them.

They're looking even better this year, or UGA is looking really bad.

When was the last time we played them close at BDS. I’ll hang up and listen.

There is something to knowing how to win, expecting to win a close game, etc...    Whatever that is, this multi-year version of AU football does not have 'it'.  This is an organizational thing that includes players and coaches.   

On running vs throwing in the 4th quarter.   If Freeze doesn't want PT running the offense (counting the box and making RPO decisions), then he needs to tell him to just run the ball.   He can talk to him directly in his helmet.  Why is he pissed at Thorne, when he can just tell him to run the ball?   Then on the pick 6,  he goes 5 wide with no protection help in the backfield.  PT makes a bad play under pressure.    Thorne is not Joe Montana, and Freeze needs to be supporting Thorne every way he possibly can,   especially in a winnable game.  It was obvious he needed some help in Q4 tonight (you could see it in his eyes), and Freeze kept rolling the dice.     

Auburn obviously had a winning game plan today.        Thorne is who he is...  He had a pretty good game for what he is.    I am a realist, not an apologist.    I put this more one on Freeze.    I'm guessing things will improve dramatically with a better QB.  I have no idea when that will be.         

1 minute ago, yngwie1995 said:

Nobody thought it'd be close last year. But we were a 4th and 31 away from beating them.

They're looking even better this year, or UGA is looking really bad.

I am a realist. Auburn has always played Bama pretty tough at home. Auburn at Bama hasn’t been very close

Just now, jluvah said:

When was the last time we played them close at BDS. I’ll hang up and listen.

The caddy lead team was decent until that phantom call happened and Bama blew the game open. Other than that I believe it was with Sam Coates. Auburn  had the offense but not the defense. 

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

The idea of the confidence thing is out the window with the portal….if it doesn’t click within 2 years you ride the pine, transfer or get beat out by the next freshman 

Coaches tell you, "We are recruiting your replacement"

12 minutes ago, e808 said:

That would have been very Balsy to tell a coach to kick rocks after being maybe one healthy KJ away from having a chance to play for it all. Maybe a better contract. As we can see right now the grass isn’t always greener. The way things look it’s going to be a while to hit 8 wins again

He should have been fired at Athens with Sean White's dead arm. I give him credit where it was due. Stidham was wasted and he cost KJ generational wealth by running him in the ground. We might not have found the replacement, but Gus needed to go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SuperAUsome09 said:

AU fans better swallow those cheers of Saban retiring. Lol

I told some people months ago, they've built a machine, I will only celebrate the downfall when I see it, but Hugh this is what a culture looks like, culture goes bigger than a coach and we have lost our way over the past decade 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Anyone that thinks Freeze is getting fired any time remotely soon isn't living in reality.  It ain't happening.

Yeah HF is going to get at least one more year, but what he does at qb will determine if he gets anymore...he still doesnt have a QB for next year and he will have no room to run an inexperienced one out there. He will need to win quite a few games next year since this year is a dumpster fire he will have no wiggle room. If he messes up who he has at QB next year I do think he will be done..no matter how good he is recruiting. At some point you got to win some games.

1 minute ago, e808 said:

The caddy lead team was decent until that phantom call happened and Bama blew the game open. Other than that I believe it was with Sam Coates. Auburn  had the offense but not the defense. 

Caddy team was terrible but played with a completely different mentality 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

He should have been fired at Athens with Sean White's dead arm. I give him credit where it was due. Stidham was wasted and he cost KJ generational wealth by running him in the ground. We might not have found the replacement, but Gus needed to go.

Two things can be true. He needed to go but with a plan. This is the residuals of he need to go . I would gladly take 8 or 9 wins right now. Auburn has a very favorable schedule and is no where close to competing for a championship. It will be a miracle to make a bowl game

Edited by e808
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, DAG said:

Did we sell our souls in 2013?! I remember when everyone thought Auburn was the luckiest team ever because we always had voodoo crap fall in our favor.

I need to head to Jordan Hare with my anointing oil, cast out those demons and break that witchcraft.

• Haha 1

Sadly I agree that we are stuck with freeze. Amazing how other teams can play and win with freshman quarterbacks but we can’t. Overall it was a better performance than the previous weeks but same results. Freeze is a great recruiter but how many of last years class can we keep with Auburn playing like they are. There is  no guarantee we can keep our better players much less get better kids to come to Auburn in the future with games like these. It’s just bad and going to get much worse. Good news it isn’t Freezes fault. Just listen. He will tell you that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Anyone that thinks Freeze is getting fired any time remotely soon isn't living in reality.  It ain't happening.

He’s got at least next year. At least that’s how long I think he deserves to prove it in today’s landscape.

If you can’t display improvement in 3 years, probably need to move on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

On that pick 6, the ball just kind of fluttered out of his hand. There wasn't an AU man in 8 yards of the ball. 

I have lost all confidence in PT. He is making High School decisions with the ball. He is a senior. We now know that the receivers weren't the only problem on last years team...

Freeze was 200% right, he failed Thorn on that play

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Two things can be true. He needed to go but with a plan. This is the residuals of he need to go . I would gladly take 8 or 9 wins right now. Auburn has a very favorable schedule and is no where close to competing for a championship. It will be a miracle to make the playoffs 

IMG_2629.gif

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Yeah HF is going to get at least one more year, but what he does at qb will determine if he gets anymore...he still doesnt have a QB for next year and he will have no room to run an inexperienced one out there. He will need to win quite a few games next year since this year is a dumpster fire he will have no wiggle room. If he messes up who he has at QB next year I do think he will be done..no matter how good he is recruiting. At some point you got to win some games.

Sums up the situation perfectly. 

People understandably fixated on the moral aspects of chf’s history during the hire. But at a purely analytical level - what kind of personality gravitates towards risks like that? Theres a definitive line between being aggressive and being reckless. We constantly leaned in on the sexier pass plays at nutty times and took other chances that simply didn’t make sense. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Where do we go from here? I’m listening the The Brain Drain and even JG Tate is done with Hugh’s ass. Hugh’s bs is quickly becoming intolerable for everyone. His personality quirks are going from charming to annoying. 

I don’t see how he turns this around this season, and what does a 3 or 4 win season do to our team/recruits? 

Good question.

Oklahoma is good but not "great." At least not with all the injuries. So we haven't played a great team yet. And we haven't gone on the road. 

This could get extremely ugly. Freeze could easily lose the team. 

If we suffer a couple blowouts (likely), lose to Vandy or ULM (not likely, but possible), and lose a bunch of commits?

I don't think Freeze gets fired this season but it could get interesting. 

7 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Didn’t KJ make like $6M? 

25 minutes ago, e808 said:

That would have been very Balsy to tell a coach to kick rocks after being maybe one healthy KJ away from having a chance to play for it all. Maybe a better contract. As we can see right now the grass isn’t always greener. The way things look it’s going to be a while to hit 8 wins again

Yes, it woud have been rather bold to do so, but what was the general feeling after the Bama game that year vs the feeling after the season was complete 2 games later? Negotiating contracts during the season is just silly and just shows you how goofy AU is when it comes to doing football business. Also, Gus was never going to Arkansas and everybody knew that. Threatening to go to Arkansas was Tubberville's ploy. AU should have been able to see through that by the time Gus got there.