Freeze's Weekly Presser - Week 5 (Auburn vs Oklahoma)

RunInRed

* Freeze: "This profession we're in is always a test for you. ... When you know you've lost two football games that are winnable games, that stinks."

‌* Freeze congratulates Sam Pittman and Arkansas: "He did a really good job rebuilding his team through the portal."

* Freeze: "There's no better staff I'd rather be with in the fire — or players."

‌* Freeze says Oklahoma "has one of the best defenses I've seen in a while."

* Freeze calls Auburn's defensive effort "incredible" against Arkansas. Notes the interceptions, the fourth-down stop, and playing the ball downfield better.

* Freeze: "I think there is improvement, believe it or not."

* Freeze: "We've got to coach the quarterbacks better and the running backs better in ball security."

* Freeze is asked what Auburn's offensive identity is: "Exactly what we're doing. I think we're good at it, other than 10 turnovers in two games. We've got good receivers, we're running the ball well. I don't know why we'd want to change any of that."

* Freeze reiterates that it's "sickening" to "not score the points that come with what those stats say."

* Freeze on the quarterbacks: "It's going to be a battle this week. We've got to figure out who can master the plan."

* Freeze notes that staying ahead of the chains will be key moving forward: "We're dang good in second-and-6. We're not so good in second-and-10."

* Freeze reiterates "Payton (Thorne) played really solidly." 

* Freeze is asked about a "trend of undisciplined football" going back to his time at Ole Miss and Liberty, says there's "various reasons" for interceptions, and that "it's hard for me to explain" the ones Auburn's QBs have had this year.

* Freeze says Keionte Scott will stick at nickel instead of cornerback.

* Freeze says Holden Geriner is a "quality player" but he expects the competition to remain between Payton Thorne and Hank Brown.

* Freshman WR Cam Coleman is still being nagged by an injury, per Freeze.

* Freeze says he met Oklahoma coach Brent Venables on vacation several years ago.

* Freeze says Auburn's offensive line played "really, really well" other than a couple QB pressures. 

* Freeze says before the Tennessee game, there was only one explosive run on Oklahoma all season. Auburn ranks first in the SEC in yards per carry (6.25) entering this game.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/article/auburn-football-hugh-freeze-press-conference-oklahoma-arkansas-236793855/

We rank 1st in the SEC rushing YPC, but we're committed to the passing game.  35 pass attempts Saturday, 4 picks.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Shadow Tiger said:

If only we could hold onto the football. 

It's the worst form of nightmare...we're afraid to run it because we fumble a lot. However, we're afraid to pass it because we throw INTs a lot.

So you turn to a sliver of light the size of a grain of sand that is "defensive scoop and scores" or "pick 6's" to win games. 

I want out of this house of horrors!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

It's the worst form of nightmare...we're afraid to run it because we fumble a lot. However, we're afraid to pass it because we throw INTs a lot.

So you turn to a sliver of light the size of a grain of sand that is "defensive scoop and scores" or "pick 6's" to win games. 

YOU AREN'T GETTING OUT 😆

YOU WILL SUCK IT UP AND TAKE IT LIKE THE REST OF US. 

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

Unfortunately the 94 LSU game doesn't come around often. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

We rank 1st in the SEC rushing YPC, but we're committed to the passing game.  35 pass attempts Saturday, 4 picks.  

Would we rank 1st ub rushing YPC if we weren't also committed to the passing game?

58 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Look on the bright side, the other 31 attempts weren’t picked. 😃

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, shabby said:

Would we rank 1st ub rushing YPC if we weren't also committed to the passing game?

Got to have balance, for sure, but I don't think we've run enough to really know.   I do know 5.6 YPC beats 4 picks/game.  Every time...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Gotta show them recruits we a passing school

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

J.C. says AU is ranked 1 in positive explosive plays 9 over 40 and 6 over 50. Maybe Freeze still knows some offense.

53 minutes ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

I’d rather fumble than throw pics. Scoop and scores are a lot less likely than pick 6’s. Players are coached to just fall on fumbles😂

• Like 1

Listening to The Barn podcast and Brad Law said JH has had 451 career touches and 3 lost fumbles. Damari has 108 touches and 3 lost fumbles. Cobb has 0.

I like those odds. Feed them!!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

J.C. says AU is ranked 1 in positive explosive plays 9 over 40 and 6 over 50. Maybe Freeze still knows some offense.

What would that look like if u take out Alabama A@M

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Listening to The Barn podcast and Brad Law said JH has had 451 career touches and 3 lost fumbles. Damari has 108 touches and 3 lost fumbles. Cobb has 0.

I like those odds. Feed them!!

We have played so bad in every facet of the game I had no idea the YPC was so good. Run the ball like it’s 2013 if that’s the case 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

AU executed those explosive plays against which opponents?  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

AU executed those explosive plays against which opponents?  

All four teams. Everyone plays weak competition in the beginning of the year if that is what you are referring to. Who was the best defense we played? Cal or Ark? KLS had two against Arkansas for sure.

Edited by Auburn93

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What would that look like if u take out Alabama A@M

What would any football team stats look like if you took out the cupcake

14 minutes ago, shabby said:

What would any football team stats look like if you took out the cupcake

Sure, but just saw that FSU beat Cal.......that's a new low when the team that's supposedly falling apart most nationally beats the team that whipped us at home. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

All four teams. Everyone plays weak competition in the beginning of the year if that is what you are referring to. Who was the best defense we played? Cal or Ark? KLS had two against Arkansas for sure.

Explosive plays against all 4 teams, AND Auburn is in 1st place in the SEC in rushing ypc. Something to celebrate for sure.  :cool:

22 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Sure, but just saw that FSU beat Cal.......that's a new low when the team that's supposedly falling apart most nationally beats the team that whipped us at home. 

Florida State barely won that game and they didn't have all the turnovers we had. No one saying we don't have issues. But take away the turnovers we would likely be sitting at 4 wins

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shabby said:

Florida State barely won that game and they didn't have all the turnovers we had. No one saying we don't have issues. But take away the turnovers we would likely be sitting at 4 wins

I agree 100%. We're on pace for a historic negative turnover margin. At first, I get blaming the players, but after multiple QBs and multiple games with tons of turnovers, shame on the coaches for not making adjustments to fit our strengths like Caddy did and like many NFL offenses do.