Much deeper than we think

AUght2win

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Yeah I don’t see that happening.  Same when Penn State came into town.  People want to watch us host Oklahoma.  

Yeah, Oklahoma is going to be packed. 

cheapest Oklahoma ticket on seatgeek are over $50. Arkansas tickets were selling for under $10 most of this last week, and attendance seemed really good other than the upper deck corners. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TigerOne said:

As long as we keep arguing about the distant past which is irrelevant to today’s college game  then that’s where Auburn will remain. Obviously haven’t learned anything.

The only relevance it has is that their point is “we shouldn’t expect to be good because we have always/will always been average anyway”. Which is insufferable and tries to shame Auburn fans for wanting results.

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I love that there’s no in-between with you guys. You’re either a blueblood or you’re Arizona State.

That's literally the opposite of what I said.

But again, it doesn't matter.  History doesn't matter now.

The future is going to be much different than the past.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

The only relevance it has is that their point is “we shouldn’t expect to be good because we have always/will always been average anyway”. 

Literally nobody has argued that.

Just now, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

Literally nobody has argued that.

What is the possible interpretation of - “we aren’t that good historically” - other than “temper your expectations”? Seriously, what other purpose would that serve in a conversation like this? 

Like Auburn football the past few years, the weekly yo-yo of the AU message boards is also predictable. 

Edited by hikerdns

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

What is the possible interpretation of - “we aren’t that good historically” - other than “temper your expectations”? Seriously, what other purpose would that serve in a conversation like this? 

Is that a direct quote or your paraphrase?

Either way I would have to see the context of the rest of the post to answer your question if you're asking generally.

Speaking for myself the answer is simple:  I never said "we aren't that good historically."  In fact, I said we were good.  Just not Top 5 good.  Which is objectively the truth.

And continued to argue it because some of y'all wanted to deny reality.

And I keep saying over and over again that whether we're the GOAT or not historically doesn't matter b/c the game is different now anyway.  So if you're talking about me specifically (and you may not be) there's really no rational way you could get from what I said to where you took it.

40 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We are a good college football program that is in a conference with a lot of good, and elite college programs. We are middle of the pack in the new SEC. That’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. You can’t discount the accomplishments brand recognition and money of Texas, OK, and A&M because they were in the Big 12. 

Being an Auburn coach is a whole lot tougher than it was in 2000. There are way more variables to overcome. 

I love Auburn and am proud of the tradition and history of Auburn. But I recognize the challenge at hand. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

Recruiting will very much fix it. 

Not if we're not willing to get the best Qbs on the roster. I don't care what anyone says, I'm all in when it comes to getting the BEST QB you can have on your roster. If that means he's there for one year and we have to find another one each year then so be it. 

It's been proven time and time again that a QB will elevate the talent around him. I understand recruiting and trying to build a pipeline but with the portal and impatient fans, coaches don't have the same amount of time to let a QB sit 2 years and reap the benefits. 

I thought this season would be 1 or 2 games better than last season but it's worse b/c the defense is worse and our offense is giving the ball to the other team. 

All I know is that HF better pay a hefty price to get a differencemaker at QB next season or we can kiss the freeze 4 and the recruiting class goodbye. 

Won’t be buying the hype next summer when all the insiders talk about how good the team looks in practice and the Auburn social media posts all the one handed catches.  I’ll buy the hype when Auburn actually gets back to winning a big game every now and then.  I’ll accept an average game at this point

Btw 

this is how you project this stuff out. People are saying the wheels haven't come off yet with the poor performances. Recruits aren't coming to start re-evaluating after the first or second horrendous performance. But there's no reason to think this team will get better and there are some recruits who were/are in the fold that had to be shown something this season. I could see us keeping a top 10 class regardless. But that top 5 status is definitely dependent on this not being the horror show it looks like it'll become 

Not to mention the leagues of young studs we got this past class that are somehow still not seeing the field for 2-2 SEC bottom dweller. It's easier to sell patience when you're performing near expectations, but this?  

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Not if we're not willing to get the best Qbs on the roster

Oh my god. 

RECRUITING IS LITERALLY THE SOLUTION 

Just now, AUDub said:

Oh my god. 

So you expect a freshman QB to fix the issue? Yes, long term we want to recruit. You honestly need to do both.

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

So you expect a freshman QB to fix the issue? Yes, long term we want to recruit. You honestly need to do both.

They are hand in hand. QBs don’t materialize out of thin air. 

Hugh’s problem this season has been coaching not the talent.  The talent has a way to go but it was obvious today and against Cal that Auburn was the better team but couldn’t get out of its own way.  Stupid penalties, play calls that don’t suit the strengths of the team, bad turnovers.  A bunch of self inflicted wounds.  

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Oh my god. 

Are you making what appears to be what you consider to be a self-evident claim for Auburn's situation specifically, or do you think that is true generally?

If the latter, it should be easy to cross reference recruiting rankings with success in the 3-4 years following that recruiting class.

I'll go ahead and spoil the surprise...the correlation is a strong one if the recruiting classes were poor, but if the recruiting classes were strong the results vary greatly.  In other words, you have to have good players to win big—you can't make chicken salad out of chicken !#$@, as was so famously said, but having great players guarantees nothing.

I haven't seen enough evidence so far that Freeze and staff can coach up what they have all that well for me to be confident that that is the only solution necessary for our specific situation.  I frankly also haven't seen much evidence that Freeze is especially good at calling plays that are responsive to the situations we find ourselves in and the players we have to work with.  

Just now, AUDub said:

They are hand in hand. QBs don’t materialize out of thin air. 

No they don't but our coach sure did have a chance to get one that was better. It is what it is at this point. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

No they don't but our coach sure did have a chance to get one that was better. It is what it is at this point. 

He probably decided to wait a year. 

I don’t think CHF is a moron. I think he chose to sit on it and wait until we could put a QB into winning position. 

Who was that?

Anyone not named Thorne. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

Anyone not named Thorne. 

there it is 

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Hugh’s problem this season has been coaching not the talent.  The talent has a way to go but it was obvious today and against Cal that Auburn was the better team but couldn’t get out of its own way.  Stupid penalties, play calls that don’t suit the strengths of the team, bad turnovers.  A bunch of self inflicted wounds.  

A culture of mediocrity.

Just now, AUDub said:

He probably decided to wait a year. 

I don’t think CHF is a moron. I think he chose to sit on it and wait until we could put a QB into winning position. 

And he has to live with that choice. My only point is that I believe is always getting better at the QB position. Granted this team has even more issues than QB but I do think with better Qb and offensive play it could've elevated the team to 8 wins and thus impacted recruiting even more. I wasn't looking for a QB to lead us to the playoffs. But sell the offense for recruiting. 

Yep.  Not an impressive answer at all.

Just like our team.