Much deeper than we think

AUght2win

10 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

What is it exactly we're supposed to do instead of look forward to next time?

The only power we have is to refuse to buy tickets and attend the games, and people have proven that they Will. Not.  Do.  That.

Too many people transport their whole families to Auburn and tailgate for the whole weekend and take their kids to the games and reminisce about when they were in college.  In fact, that's why college football is more popular than pro football.

Auburn doesn't have enough sidewalk fans to pull off any kind of boycott.

Bingo

In an ideal world, money and support would simply transition to supporting our programs that don’t suck and deserve the financial backing our football program gets. But that’s not the reality we live in. Auburn, much like Tennessee or Nebraska, is probably going to be able to put whatever on the field and still get ~90% attendance any given home game. And with this Nike deal, the most popular sports merchandiser ever, they’re likely going to get a real influx of football income that way. 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I do think they need to redirect some funds to the portal. We need experienced players with maturity who have won.  Especially at QB

We’re majority portal for starters anyway. Hugh might preach high school but we’ve been way too portal reliant if we’re going to go the high school model. At least so far.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

We’re majority portal for starters anyway. Hugh might preach high school but we’ve been way too portal reliant if we’re going to go the high school model. At least so far.

I mean he has to do that. His oldest recruits are sophomores. 

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Hey, at least it’s just football.

I’m not heartbroken lol. Just pissed off. 

14 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

The only power we have is to refuse to buy tickets and attend the games, and people have proven that they Will. Not.  Do.  That.

JHS had an unusually high number of empty seats today, especially for the season’s first SEC game. Tiger Walk was noticeably quieter too. This is the 5th straight year of uncertainty if we can even make a bowl game. If that trend doesn’t reverse soon I believe JHS attendance will decline accordingly. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Bingo

In an ideal world, money and support would simply transition to supporting our programs that don’t suck and deserve the financial backing our football program gets. But that’s not the reality we live in. Auburn, much like Tennessee or Nebraska, is probably going to be able to put whatever on the field and still get ~90% attendance any given home game. And with this Nike deal, the most popular sports merchandiser ever, they’re likely going to get a real influx of football income that way. 

It's the best of both worlds for the athletic departments.

The nostalgia and sentimental emotional attachments to the schools keep the fans loyal in a way that they would not be if the attraction was simply watching football, yet the amount of money involved is staggering.

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

JHS had an unusually high number of empty seats today, especially for the season’s first SEC game. Tiger Walk was noticeably quieter too. This is the 5th straight year of uncertainty if we can even make a bowl game. If that trend doesn’t reverse soon I believe JHS attendance will decline accordingly. 

Next week will be tons of empty seats. Mark it down.

1 minute ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

It's the best of both worlds for the athletic departments.

The nostalgia and sentimental emotional attachments to the schools keep the fans loyal in a way that they would not be if the attraction was simply watching football, yet the amount of money involved is staggering.

Probably a good way to describe college football in general. It’s a sport that I think inspires fan loyalty in a way some other major ones don’t. Maybe because many CFB programs exist in areas that don’t have other pro sport influence, like we do…who knows 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

We'll see.

I'm sure there is a limit.

How close we are to that limit remains to be seen.  I saw some empty seats on t.v., but not enough to convince me that we're all that close.

And here's the thing...let's say we are close to a protest/boycott/whatever you want to call it.  Then what?

I'm pretty sure that Freeze—a guy no one else anywhere near our level would take—is the best we could get to come here this past time around.  And I think we legit tried.

Someone upthread was posting that Freeze seemed unconcerned, and that might be the reason why.  He knows we've got nowhere else to go.  

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Next week will be tons of empty seats. Mark it down.

By the end of the game I'm sure that's true.  If you mean at the beginning of the game, I'll take that bet.

8 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Probably a good way to describe college football in general. It’s a sport that I think inspires fan loyalty in a way some other major ones don’t. Maybe because many CFB programs exist in areas that don’t have other pro sport influence, like we do…who knows 

Oh, I'm pretty sure I know why.

Because a whole lot of people consider their college years the best years of their lives.

Simple nostalgia.

Sidewalk fans may wear the gear and go to the games, but only alumni donate any significant amount of money.  I would imagine that alumni are also a lot more likely to keep showing up no matter what.

Edited by Shoney'sPonyBoy

54 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Dude how big of a giant are we, really? Maybe like a smaller giant. But we’re never getting to Bama, Texas,Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU, or Tennessee levels. It ain’t happening. Those programs are national brands in an increasingly money oriented sport. Auburn’s brand has become losing. That’s what everyone on this football team knows.

It’s going to take a true program builder. Like Saban or Kirby level. And I don’t see one that’s coming here.

When I went to Auburn, we were giants.  4 SEC championships in that era.  Never felt inferior to Bama.  Didn’t know the feeling — still don’t.  My brother played football/baseball there in the early-mid 80s.  I was there at the tail-end late 80s - early 90s.   No disrespect to you, but it amazes me Auburn’s own base devalues its own history and importance.  Most sports writers have Auburn in the top 15-20 football programs of all time in NCAA history. This is an elite program.  

I understand the frustration, but Auburn has been, still is, and will continue to be regarded as a great athletic program.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aubcali said:

When I went to Auburn, we were giants.  4 SEC championships in that era.  Never felt inferior to Bama.  Didn’t know the feeling — still don’t.  My brother played football/baseball there in the early-mid 80s.  I was there at the tail-end late 80s - early 90s.   No disrespect to you, but it amazes me Auburn’s own base devalues its own history and importance.  Most sports writers have Auburn in the top 15-20 football programs of all time in NCAA history. This is an elite program.  

I understand the frustration, but Auburn has been, still is, and will continue to be regarded as a great athletic program.  

I think you just experienced a monumentally good run in program history. There is nothing about us that is elite, man. We are pretty good compared to the histories of the other 135 teams. But compared to our peers in the SEC, we are pretty mid. 

We are 8th of 16 in winning %

We are sixth of 16 in SEC titles but 6th of 12 if you don’t count Texas, Ok, Missouri, and A&M.

If you count just overall conference titles we are tied with Missouri for 10 of 16

We are 10 of 16 in claimed National Titles.

I love Auburn. But like I said. We are mid tier in the SEC, and arguably lower mid tier with Texas and Ok in the league.

Edited by AuCivilEng1

I think you just experienced a monumentally good run in program history. There is nothing about us that is elite, man. We are pretty good compared to the histories of the other 135 teams. But compared to our peers in the SEC, we are pretty mid. 

We are sixth of 16 in SEC titles but 6th of 12 if you don’t count Texas, Ok, Missouri, and A&M.

I love Auburn. But like I said. We are mid tier in the SEC, and arguably lower mid tier with Texas and Ok in the league.

Quit being a cuck. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We are sixth of 16 in conference titles but 6th of 12 if you don’t count Texas, Ok, Missouri, and A&M.

And at this point I’ll take being middle of the league if it means a playoff berth (and win over UAT) every few years with consistently 8 wins. Gus’s real shortcoming was not having a 12 team playoff. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Quit being a cuck. 

What’s cuck about looking at things not through my fanatical orange and blue glasses. Wake up man. You can love Auburn and still live in reality.

• Like 1

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

What’s cuck about looking at things not through my fanatical orange and blue glasses. Wake up man. You can love Auburn and still live in reality.

Be a fan. 

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Brother I genuinely don’t understand this level of program-dysmorphia. We have three freakin’ Heismans. We had 3 perfect seasons in the SEC within 2 decades. We’ve won multiple national titles, tons of bowl games, healthy amount of conference titles.

I know it’s sometimes edgy to devalue Auburn on here but - no disrespect - your view borders on not knowing anything about football.

34 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

At the end of the 2012 season, there were probably less than 60,000 people in the stands. So you are absolutely correct. The fans will quit coming if this continues.

Just now, AUDub said:

Be a fan. 

I am a fan. And I resent that comment. I’m sitting on an Auburn site discussing our program at 10:42 eastern time on a Saturday night. Not many people love anything enough to do that. But I’m no t going to sit here and act like we are some national power that has to get back to their elite level like we’re Texas or Oklahoma. That’s not real. 

• Like 1

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

I am a fan. And I resent that comment. I’m sitting on an Auburn site discussing our program at 10:42 eastern time on a Saturday night. Not many people love anything enough to do that. But I’m no t going to sit here and act like we are some national power that has to get back to their elite level like we’re Texas or Oklahoma. That’s not real. 

We have a more recent national title than either of them. Quit being a cuck. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Wow 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Brother I genuinely don’t understand this level of program-dysmorphia. We have three freakin’ Heismans. We had 3 perfect seasons in the SEC within 2 decades. We’ve won multiple national titles, tons of bowl games, healthy amount of conference titles.

I know it’s sometimes edgy to devalue Auburn on here but - no disrespect - your view borders on not knowing anything about football.

I just sat here and rattled off all the reasons that we can’t just call ourselves an elite power. Using actual evidence. And still, you guys think your feelings are what matters. You can feel like we are elite all you want. And you can be proud of our history. But you can’t argue that in this 16 team SEC we are middle of the pack historically. 

I just sat here and rattled off all the reasons that we can’t just call ourselves an elite power. Using actual evidence. And still, you guys think your feelings are what matters. You can feel like we are elite all you want. And you can be proud of our history. But you can’t argue that in this 16 team SEC we are middle of the pack historically. 

If being middle of the pack means we can get back to where we were in the 2010s, I’ll happily take it. I have completely learned my lesson!

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 1