Much deeper than we think

AUght2win

On 9/21/2024 at 8:44 PM, maryland tiger said:

We all the Gus type of coach. Yes, I said Gus! A good, moral, Christian coach who loves his family and is good in the community. We are Auburn so we don't won't a coach who will chew out his players like Rodney Garner would. We want a coach to pray with our players and hold a prayer meeting. That is the issue and until Auburn stops this holier than thou attitude, it won't win anymore. 

These players need to be coached hard and yet showed that they are loved. Auburn is currently loving hard and coaching soft! Soft as baby powder, I might add! 

Rodney Garner’s D line at Tennessee sure did look good against Oklahoma last weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2024 at 12:30 PM, Viper said:

Of course we have more talent than Cal. Not more than ARK. Not that it matters, McElroy stated the other day ARK had more talent.

I had 7 wins. bammer & GA on the road are automatic losses. To say that we only lose just two more games, given our starters, is being unrealistic.

Arkansas brought in a lot of talent … last year they didn’t have that roster.

16 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

There’s a reason Jefferson was told to move on. He’s basically a Finley clone. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2024 at 9:53 AM, cbo said:

Exactly right. QB should be the top priority of every coach, all the time. 

I am 100% on your side , this confused me a lot , How can any 3* survives in SEC play ? 

Edited by aucat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Arkansas wasn't that impressive. Between the turnovers and K, Scott turning his back on the qb on that Hail Mary, very winnable game.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

I’m confused. How is this on Harsin?

He not letting former players talk to recruits during his reign of clownish clownishness.

• Like 1

How do you fix this team’s psyche? Seriously. Even though Thorne is probably our most functional QB, I think the tone he sets makes everyone on the team worse. I don’t think he can play anymore simply because we have to wash this loser funk off us. 

I’d start making wholesale personnel changes. Find 11 who have their minds right. 

But it’s also possible that this is all coming from the top-down. That Hugh can’t finish games and he has a loser mentality. He’s certainly fostering it. I just don’t know if he’s also generating it.

We had homes  field in all 5 games and actually we were more talented team in all 5 games. More talented then OU because of injuries and yet we lost 3 of the 5 games.

We could have beaten all 5 teams by relying on run game 1st then passing, but our coaching staff would not adjust the offense.

We needed to be 5-0 as now we hit the tough part of our schedule.

Today we managed to pull defeat out of the jaws of victory. It is on the coaches.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

How do you fix this team’s psyche? Seriously. Even though Thorne is probably our most functional QB, I think the tone he sets makes everyone on the team worse. I don’t think he can play anymore simply because we have to wash this loser funk off us. 

I’d start making wholesale personnel changes. Find 11 who have their minds right. 

But it’s also possible that this is all coming from the top-down. That Hugh can’t finish games and he has a loser mentality. He’s certainly fostering it. I just don’t know if he’s also generating it.

These guys don’t know anything but losing. The oldest guys were freshman when Harsin started. And the transfers have been brought in by loser coaching staffs. They don’t know how to overcome adversity and win.

Auburn needs to sell itself out to a proven expensive winner and pay him everything he wants. That’s the only reason to fix it.

On 9/21/2024 at 6:59 PM, AUght2win said:

Gus’ culture was always good. He failed where Freeze thrives - recruiting. Malzahn’s teams never gave up and always played hard.

True his players would run through a wall for him, but he had three issues:

1.  Recruiting.

2. Teams caught up with his offense.

3. He never modified his offense.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2024 at 6:34 PM, AUght2win said:

This program has a fundamental problem that has nothing to do with anything tangible. Recruiting won’t fix it. It’s something much deeper. In the bones of our players. Our culture and character as a team is broken. Hugh has stunned me by not making any progress on this front, and perhaps we’re even in a worse spot culturally as a program than when he started.

Selfishness. Laziness. Timidity. Incompetence. Buckling. All spokes on the losing wheel. The hub, though, is a program who isn’t orienting its players toward team goals or teaching them their prime directive is to WIN as a TEAM. These guys simply don’t play with that focus.

You see it. I see it. I’ll post some examples from this game if I have time. I counted a half dozen things from that game that were truly disgusting to watch, and not normal from even the worst Auburn teams. 

There are lots of other problems, sure. The offensive system must be simplified. Durkin needs to give defensive play-calling to Kelly on third downs. There are talent deficiencies.

But would you agree with me that if we played that Arkansas team 10 times, we’d find a way to lose all 10 games? Same with Cal. Two teams that are tangibly inferior to us, at home. That’s where our program is right now. Broken.

We’re not “a couple plays” or “a few blown calls” away. We aren’t close. Due to our cultural and mental breakdown, we are about to go 3-9 with 8 win talent.

Fix it Hugh. The culture is 100% your responsibility. Burn it down and start fresh. There’s no excuse for it to be this bad. Never seen an Auburn team so completely without the intangibles to win like this current one. 

I agree with you 1000 percent. It's all about the money. Nothing is ever going to change at Auburn. I got news for you, there is no I in that team,

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

These guys don’t know anything but losing. The oldest guys were freshman when Harsin started. And the transfers have been brought in by loser coaching staffs. They don’t know how to overcome adversity and win.

Auburn needs to sell itself out to a proven expensive winner and pay him everything he wants. That’s the only reason to fix it.

I’d keep Hugh through this year no matter what and then say 9 win minimum in 2025 or he’s gone. We still very much do need to restock talent but damn - we need someone with a Bellichick type grasp of knowing how to get players to win.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This is so depressing to read but I agree.

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don't disagree. But who the hell is that? I don't think my High School coach could lose that game. OCs, DCs,  and HCs are so much smarter than the old school coaches,who would have won this game in the third quarter and ran the clock out. But it would have been winning ugly, and who the hell wants to do that? Who wants this job? I've heard this crap forever,but Saban ain't coming to AU. Name the coach, or just suck it up like the rest of us. Gosh this sucks. 

31 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We had homes  field in all 5 games and actually we were more talented team in all 5 games. More talented then OU because of injuries and yet we lost 3 of the 5 games.

We could have beaten all 5 teams by relying on run game 1st then passing, but our coaching staff would not adjust the offense.

We needed to be 5-0 as now we hit the tough part of our schedule.

Today we managed to pull defeat out of the jaws of victory. It is on the coaches.

I absolutely agree. Our running game today was awesome and not using it to win or protect a lead is such bad coaching. 
We lost today because CHF did not make it crystal clear today to Thorne that our running game was working so well when we were up by 11. He waited until Thorne had thrown 2 errant passes just after our RB just had a 25+ yard running play for a first down near field goal range. We don’t get a 1st Down and Oklahoma hits a 76 yard bomb.

Still being ahead a few points, Thorne starts throwing errant passes again for a pick 6. CHF in my mind again is responsible for not leaning hard on the run game.

I genuinely hope that maybe CHF knows tonight in his heart of hearts that he cost AU and himself a significant win!

30 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I don't disagree. But who the hell is that? I don't think my High School coach could lose that game. OCs, DCs,  and HCs are so much smarter than the old school coaches,who would have won this game in the third quarter and ran the clock out. But it would have been winning ugly, and who the hell wants to do that? Who wants this job? I've heard this crap forever,but Saban ain't coming to AU. Name the coach, or just suck it up like the rest of us. Gosh this sucks. 

Who knows. Like I said last week, you could pay lanning a billion dollars🤢

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Who knows. Like I said last week, you could pay lanning a billion dollars🤢

Maybe YOU could. I'm trying to retire on what little I have. 

General observations:

Terrible play calling and clock management late in the game. That’s on Hugh (again)

Riddick and Harris are going to be a force for our defense. FWIW, they demonstrate better football IQ and technique than most of our upper classmen. Amaris and Blocton made some plays too. 

Coleman and Simmons are every bit of what their hype was. Hope we can keep them. 

Seems like there were a lot of wrong routes ran by WRs today (again) This is year two of that. WR coach needs to do his job better.

Missed 2 FGs on the same play to end the first half. Very costly. 

The AU fans always bring the juice. Best in class in every way. It’s a shame the last few seasons the results on the field have been sad. The fans deserve better  

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I’d keep Hugh through this year no matter what and then say 9 win minimum in 2025 or he’s gone. We still very much do need to restock talent but damn - we need someone with a Bellichick type grasp of knowing how to get players to win.

I agree with the sentiment, but honestly, you might as well fire him after this season if the bar is 9 wins in 2025. It's not happening. 

Of course, I'm a big believer that the right coach will turn things around quickly. I don't believe that Auburn football is destined to suck, no one wants to coach here, we fire coaches too quickly, etc. As a result, I'm for cutting a coach loose when you know he isn't the guy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Sorry, but that's dumb.  We are not firing a coach next year for going 8-4, especially with the recruiting classes he's got going.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Sorry, but that's dumb.  We are not firing a coach next year for going 8-4, especially with the recruiting classes he's got going.

Lmao okay, maybe not exactly 9 but it better be close. We’ve openly sacrificed virtually two years for the 2025 season. Better have some serious results. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You argued relentlessly for Thorne in the off-season, in the same condescending tone of this post.

I wish you wouldn't call a smart poster's thoughts "dumb," especially when expressed right after a loss. 

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

You argued relentlessly for Thorne in the off-season, in the same condescending tone of this post.

Relentlessly?  Condescending.  No.  I thought it was a reasonable thing to believe he could return to his 2021 form with better weapons around him.  I was wrong.  

But also, if you don't like my tone, scroll on past.  No one asked you for etiquette lessons.

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

I wish you wouldn't call a smart poster's thoughts "dumb," especially when expressed right after a loss. 

He may be smart, but "9 games or fire him" is dumb.  We can still manage not to say completely asinine things after a loss.

• Haha 1