Much deeper than we think

AUght2win

Not sure what it is, but something is off, very off.  I still think there are negative affects left over from the last regime. But that should be getting resolved on/off the field, yet it doesn't seem to be. Maybe it takes a little longer, or perhaps it something more/worse.

Recruiting will very much fix it. 

• Like 8

I posted this in the game time thread but I’m sure it got lost in all the craziness.  

At some point this pitiful football product has to change.  We can’t keep letting our football team roller coaster thru season after season with so many excuses.   This isn’t just a product on the field issue, I believe it’s much deeper.  Our school as a whole should not have any issues putting a better product on national display.  There is no excuse.  We take 3 steps forward every coaching change, get our hopes up and then it’s 4 steps backwards.  I’m lost emotionally and don’t even know how to feel.   We had tickets to this game didn’t even go.  That breaks my heart.  

•  
  • Like 5

Who cares? Watch it burn. We’re the new Mississippi school…especially with Texas and Oklahoma in the conference  😆👌🤷‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, AUINSY said:

Who cares? Watch it burn. We’re the new Mississippi school…especially with Texas and Oklahoma in the conference  😆👌🤷‍♂️

I would compare us more with Tennessee — sleeping giant deciding to venture the desert for years.   

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Its called NIL. Those 3 letters are the ROOT of this. That is where the focus is now. Loyalty, hard work and dedication is gone. I got paid. 

• Like 9
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, arktiger1975 said:

That is one thing that Gus did to have such a quick turnaround- change the culture. He couldn't maintain it. But he did a great job his first year.

Gus’ culture was always good. He failed where Freeze thrives - recruiting. Malzahn’s teams never gave up and always played hard.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Recruiting will very much fix it. 

I don't know about that.

Somehow we are worse this year than we were last year despite having added significant WR talent.

Sure, we don't have a workable QB yet, but we'd need Cam Newton again to overcome our issues this year.

14 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Gus’ culture was always good. He failed where Freeze thrives - recruiting. Malzahn’s teams never gave up and always played hard.

I agree. I also think he got stale offensively from a schematic standpoint. QB development wasn't what it needed to be either. 

• Like 3

Just now, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I don't know about that.

Somehow we are worse this year than we were last year despite having added significant WR talent.

Sure, we don't have a workable QB yet, but we'd need Cam Newton again to overcome our issues this year.

We’ve regressed or held steady in other areas

21 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Agree. AU will not be relevant again for the next 10 years or so. I have not seen any fruits of the last 2 HF recruiting classes. Every time AU fires a coach, pays them millions for years, the next coach hired says the same damn thing. Give me time. This current program, with supposed better recruits, looks just as bad as Harsin’s year and a half. There is not a capable QB on this team, nor is their a capable WR, OC, or Scout person decent at recognizing or coaching talent. Currently, this team’s ceiling is 4 to 5 wins. Where have these huge recruiting wins gotten us? 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I was pretty down on the future outlook for this team but the positivity of this thread is making me reconsider things. 

• Haha 4

This too shall pass in another 10-15 years, 2-5 coaches, and $30-$50 million in buyouts

Edited by AUINSY
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

This program has a fundamental problem that has nothing to do with anything tangible. Recruiting won’t fix it. It’s something much deeper. In the bones of our players. Our culture and character as a team is broken. Hugh has stunned me by not making any progress on this front, and perhaps we’re even in a worse spot culturally as a program than when he started.

Selfishness. Laziness. Timidity. Incompetence. Buckling. All spokes on the losing wheel. The hub, though, is a program who isn’t orienting its players toward team goals or teaching them their prime directive is to WIN as a TEAM. These guys simply don’t play with that focus.

You see it. I see it. I’ll post some examples from this game if I have time. I counted a half dozen things from that game that were truly disgusting to watch, and not normal from even the worst Auburn teams. 

There are lots of other problems, sure. The offensive system must be simplified. Durkin needs to give defensive play-calling to Kelly on third downs. There are talent deficiencies.

But would you agree with me that if we played that Arkansas team 10 times, we’d find a way to lose all 10 games? Same with Cal. Two teams that are tangibly inferior to us, at home. That’s where our program is right now. Broken.

We’re not “a couple plays” or “a few blown calls” away. We aren’t close. Due to our cultural and mental breakdown, we are about to go 3-9 with 8 win talent.

Fix it Hugh. The culture is 100% your responsibility. Burn it down and start fresh. There’s no excuse for it to be this bad. Never seen an Auburn team so completely without the intangibles to win like this current one. 

Bro, I think you're taking this a little over the top. Granted there's some bad habits (like arm tackling, poor decision making by the qb's) but "the program's broken.". C'mon, really? It's a game played by young men who seem by and large to have decent character (remember the glorious days of Kowaski Kitchens, Dakota Mosley, Antonio Goodwin and Michael McNeal pulling an armed robbery with Michael Dyer's gun. That was a "broken program." This is some poor coaching that needs to get fixed. Oh and we need a quarterback to step up and win the job.

• Like 4

We all the Gus type of coach. Yes, I said Gus! A good, moral, Christian coach who loves his family and is good in the community. We are Auburn so we don't won't a coach who will chew out his players like Rodney Garner would. We want a coach to pray with our players and hold a prayer meeting. That is the issue and until Auburn stops this holier than thou attitude, it won't win anymore. 

These players need to be coached hard and yet showed that they are loved. Auburn is currently loving hard and coaching soft! Soft as baby powder, I might add! 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

50 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

That is one thing that Gus did to have such a quick turnaround- change the culture. He couldn't maintain it. But he did a great job his first year.

Horsesh$t.   Gus was the recipient of a couple of the luckiest plays ever witnessed in college football.   After going 13-1, he went 8-4 with a better team.   If 8-4 is what Auburn wanted , Gus was the man.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

This too shall pass in another 10-15 years, 2-5 coaches, and $30-$50 million in buyouts

I think payments on NIL will prevent quicker firings.

Edited by Hank2020

12 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Horsesh$t.   Gus was the recipient of a couple of the luckiest plays ever witnessed in college football.   After going 13-1, he went 8-4 with a better team.   If 8-4 is what Auburn wanted , Gus was the man.  

While I don't disagree with anything you just said, 8-4 seems like a canteen of fresh cool water in the desert right about now.

We've been stuck at 5-6 reg season wins a year since Gus left and I think we're going to need luck to get to that level this season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think payments on NIL will prevent wuicker firings.

Perhaps. We could also find a way around it, that’s what we do. Texas A&M took our trophy from paying most for coaches to not coach. We’ll find a way to reclaim the buyout lead.

Edited by AUINSY

2 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

We've been stuck at 5-6 reg season wins a year since Gus left and I think we're going to need luck to get to that level this season.

It ain’t gonna happen…not this year. The only remotely winnable game left is ULM. Vandy’s gonna clobber us. On the other hand, we could set a record on the # of turnovers in a year. 

Edited by AUINSY