Post Vs Arkansas Thread

4 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

True, but you can make a much bigger impact in BB with far fewer recruits. Eight great recruits (if they are the right guys to fill the needs) over 3-4 years can completely transform a basketball program.  And Pearl does get a five star here and there, but he mostly excels at finding diamonds in the rough that buy into his system.

I'm not arguing against what you are saying generally.  I agree that the football staff has not done a good job with what we do have and Pearl does a fantastic job with what he gets.

But generally comparing basketball & football is a bit of a mismatch IMO.

When you win over your fans and show u love the school u coach at, u get a lot more leeway, in basketball Bruce def got more leeway bc of how bad we had been. He also acquired talent early in those years and developed. There was also a sense of, man I feel we are getting better even tho the record might not show it. I feel the exact opposite watching a freeze coached AU team. Freeze has never acted remotely that way, it's almost like he's just "here" and it rubs me the wrong way. When u pair absolutely sucking and not getting better into that, it's just abysmal to watch and personally idk how much longer I can do it. AU football has been so depressing over the past 7-8 years, it's sad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I was never a freeze fan, due to his past, but unlike some people was willing to give him a chance. He's never seemed like he's excited to be our coach, that doesn't bother a lot of people it seems but it bothers me. The fact that we got rid of 2 coordinators and have somehow regressed is mind boggling. He is gonna have to do a complete 180 imo and at this point I just don't see it happening. Crazy how the 5 star up the road is balling out but our 5 star is short arming and loafing. I think our culture is absolutely in the crapper rn. That's just my 2 cents.

I still think everything we did  to get Cam was well deserved but today wasn't the best look for him. Really from a performance perspective even more than the mentality thing, although both are bad.

The problem is Freeze hasn't shown really any capacity to do anything other than s*** on guys. I don't have any faith in that guy to embolden Coleman to do better, so it's just going to be on him, like Thorne or Brown or whoever else he's mentioned in the light he has, to be better. We'll see what type of character he has 

M

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

When you win over your fans and show u love the school u coach at, u get a lot more leeway, in basketball Bruce def got more leeway bc of how bad we had been. He also acquired talent early in those years and developed. There was also a sense of, man I feel we are getting better even tho the record might not show it. I feel the exact opposite watching a freeze coached AU team. Freeze has never acted remotely that way, it's almost like he's just "here" and it rubs me the wrong way. When u pair absolutely sucking and not getting better into that, it's just abysmal to watch and personally idk how much longer I can do it. AU football has been so depressing over the past 7-8 years, it's sad.

You’re literally an inch away from figuring out how hard Freeze has it. Yet you can’t grip it. 

Edited by AUDub

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

M

You’re literally an inch away from figuring out how hard Freeze has it. Yet you can’t grip it. 

Just go ahead and throw the millionaire that's paid to do this a pity party, geez 😂

7 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

True, but you can make a much bigger impact in BB with far fewer recruits. Eight great recruits (if they are the right guys to fill the needs) over 3-4 years can completely transform a basketball program.  And Pearl does get a five star here and there, but he mostly excels at finding diamonds in the rough that buy into his system.

I'm not arguing against what you are saying generally.  I agree that the football staff has not done a good job with what we do have and Pearl does a fantastic job with what he gets.

But generally comparing basketball & football is a bit of a mismatch IMO.

I respectfully disagree. Basketball u have a much smaller pool of blue chippers than football. Basketball there is also less scholarship to go around . Lastly Auburn has been a door mat in basketball for so long it’s not even funny. @Maverick.AUis right BP had a much tougher job. Even with all the goodwill BP has built up the basketball doesn’t have much NIL to throw around like in football 

• Like 2

Just go ahead and throw the millionaire that's paid to do this a pity party, geez 😂

He needs time. 

The basketball discussion is insane to me. In a completely theoretical sense, you can turnaround a basketball roster quicker. In reality, you have to get a caliber of recruit that Auburn hadn't shown any ability to consistently get for decades. While having piss poor facilities, a joke of a recent past, little basketball pedigree, and a guy who was coming off of a show-cause infraction. 

In no world is it easier to build up Auburn basketball's roster (read where I say Auburn basketball and not just (insert random program)) than Auburn football's. They are STILL top 20 in blue chip talent even with all the talent that left after Gus and Harsin sitting on his ass for 2 years. Auburn's been the best program in the SEC in basketball for damn near a decade and it's still hard as hell to get 5 star guys. 

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I still think everything we did  to get Cam was well deserved but today wasn't the best look for him. Really from a performance perspective even more than the mentality thing, although both are bad.

The problem is Freeze hasn't shown really any capacity to do anything other than s*** on guys. I don't have any faith in that guy to embolden Coleman to do better, so it's just going to be on him, like Thorne or Brown or whoever else he's mentioned in the light he has, to be better. We'll see what type of character he has 

Personally I think Cam is still hurt and was rushed back. Where is Cain and the others 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

He needs time. 

AND HES NOT GOING TO GET TIME IF HE REGRESSES AND DOESNT SHOW IMPROVEMENT, and you know this. He hasn't done anything so far for me to believe that in year 3 it will be head and shoulders better than the product of his first two years. Could he? Sure, I'd happily eat crow if I am wrong but I just don't see it.

2 hours ago, shabby said:

I would take Thornes experience and mobility any day over Hank. Thorne had nothing in terms of support last year. This year he does. You don't pull him after one bad game this year. No coach would make that call. Its baffling that Freeze did and it bit him in his ass

tmp.gif

Edited by PigskinPat
  • Like 1

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

AND HES NOT GOING TO GET TIME IF HE REGRESSES AND DOESNT SHOW IMPROVEMENT, and you know this. He hasn't done anything so far for me to believe that in year 3 it will be head and shoulders better than the product of his first two years. Could he? Sure, I'd happily eat crow if I am wrong but I just don't see it.

If we fire him 1.5 years in we deserved to be UT. 

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Personally I think Cam is still hurt and was rushed back. Where is Cain and the others 

Them, but even Camden Brown. If Coleman, who's been non-contact all week, is loafing and displaying stone hands, Camden was your best guy last game and received rave reviews. Ride that guy out. No reason to force a dude in that you clearly had problems with

Just now, AUDub said:

If we fire him 1.5 years in we deserved to be UT. 

I didn't say fire him this year, I'm already giving him year 3. I'm saying that as of now I don't see a whole to be optimistic about. I mean if u see a bunch to be optimistic about, more power to ya.

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Them, but even Camden Brown. If Coleman, who's been non-contact all week, is loafing and displaying stone hands, Camden was your best guy last game and received rave reviews. Ride that guy out. No reason to force a dude in that you clearly had problems with

Not argument there. I agree with everything u said

Edited by e808

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I didn't say fire him this year, I'm already giving him year 3. I'm saying that as of now I don't see a whole to be optimistic about. I mean if u see a bunch to be optimistic about, more power to ya.

Wouldn’t think that given the comparisons to Bruce lol. 

Just now, AUDub said:

Wouldn’t think that given the comparisons to Bruce lol. 

U just don't quit do you. This is the reason I said goodnight in the first place lol. I said that even with the record I felt like we were improving, I felt improvement, even if the "record" didn't indicate it. I don't feel that at all with freeze, it does not feel that there's any improvement, that's it, plain and simple 

U just don't quit do you. This is the reason I said goodnight in the first place lol. I said that even with the record I felt like we were improving, I felt improvement, even if the "record" didn't indicate it. I don't feel that at all with freeze, it does not feel that there's any improvement, that's it, plain and simple 

You said goodnight but you won’t shut up. 

Things will get worse before they get better because, you know, reality is a bitch.

if you’re gonna go to bed, go to bed. 

He just keeps typing and talking. 

Just now, AUDub said:

You said goodnight but you won’t shut up. 

Things will get worse before they get better because, you know, reality is a bitch.

if you’re gonna go to bed, go to bed. 

Crazy how I said goodnight, didn't quote u and u quoted my post to someone else

its obvious we have much different viewpoints on the state of AU football. Since u wanna be a talker u may wanna go get one of those chickens.

Have a good night.

Crazy how I said goodnight, didn't quote u and u quoted my post to someone else

its obvious we have much different viewpoints on the state of AU football. Since u wanna be a talker u may wanna go get one of those chickens.

Have a good night.

Post through it, my guy. 

Last word I get it, have a good one!

Hah. Knew you couldn’t do it. 

22 minutes ago, e808 said:

I respectfully disagree. Basketball u have a much smaller pool of blue chippers than football. Basketball there is also less scholarship to go around . Lastly Auburn has been a door mat in basketball for so long it’s not even funny. @Maverick.AUis right BP had a much tougher job. Even with all the goodwill BP has built up the basketball doesn’t have much NIL to throw around like in football 

Here's where I am going to push back a little on that.

There were 32 five star players available in football last year and 22 five star basketball players available last year.

So yes, fewer BB five stars and spread out among more teams in D-1 bb, (by a lot.)

But that means there are fewer for everyone.  Which means that the five stars are sufficiently diluted in BB so as to not have the impact that they do in football.  In other words, getting five stars isn't as important in bb b/c far fewer teams are going to have one anyway (fewer than 1 in 16 vs fewer than 1 in 4 for football) so just like your chances of recruiting one are slimmer, your chances of playing another team who has one (or more) are also slimmer.

And of course you have fewer scholarships because you have far fewer players on a bb team.  It would be ridiculous if you had 23 scholarships a year to offer in basketball.

As for this:  

the basketball doesn’t have much NIL to throw around like in football 

It's the same as the five star situation.  It doesn't matter how NIL money in bb compares to football.  It matters how any given basketball program's NIL compares to competing basketball programs.

And, of course, it doesn't matter to this discussion anyway b/c it didn't exist when BP turned the basketball program around.

Edited by Shoney'sPonyBoy

Just now, AUDub said:

Hah. Knew you couldn’t do it. 

You're something else, but seriously, have a good night