Freeze's Weekly Presser - Week 4 (Auburn vs Arkansas)

RunInRed

17 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

You know, that's Mick Jaggersons mate...

Him n ole Ron Wooderson.

Too bad about Charley Wattson... he was my favorite. 

I started to ask, “Of the Rolling Stonesons?”

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'm just praying they come out in heavier formations against UGA in a couple weeks. Those dudes may have 200 rushing yards by HT if we come out in that light box look we've been doing

I don’t think it will matter. If we stuff the box, they’ll light up our slew-footed secondary.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

He looks miserable lol. 

He looks alot different than when we hired him. Stress and fatigue will do that. I remember watching a Josh Heupel presser the first year he coached Tennessee and he apologized for always having a dry cough when he talked to reporters. He said that he had to be put on blood pressure meds not long after taking the Tennessee job and that his dry cough was a side effect of the meds. He took over a big mess with the NCAA on their backs from the Jeremy Pruitt scandal and I'm sure he was probably stressed out. At this years SEC Media Days, Freeze said he does his best to get his coaching staff out very early on Wednesday's so that they can eat dinner with their family and attend church if they choose to. He said he does it for himself too because it just gets to be too much sometimes. 

Saturday night, Joey Galloway and Dan Mullen were on College Football Final talking about Norvell at FSU and Napier at Florida and what they're going through right now. Mullen said coaches don't hear nearly as much stuff from fans and social media as we would think because they're in the football facility between 18 and 20 hours a day working on game plans, recruiting, etc. He said the players hear the bad stuff alot more because they're hearing it in class and on social media. When Gus coached here, his wife Kristy said that Gus has always averaged between 3 to 4 hours of sleep a night his entire coaching career. 

I'm honestly shocked that more coaches haven't had strokes or heart attacks due to the stress and fatigue from the coaching lifestyle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUx said:

Hugh ain't pulling it off. He just looks like a dad coming back from the family camping trip.

That didn’t go well.

Homeless dudes look better 

23 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

IMG_5465.gif

I tell people I need their “Herbie Hancock” all the time . I’m pretty sure they always think I’m dumb based on their zero reactions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

He looks alot different than when we hired him. Stress and fatigue will do that. I remember watching a Josh Heupel presser the first year he coached Tennessee and he apologized for always having a dry cough when he talked to reporters. He said that he had to be put on blood pressure meds not long after taking the Tennessee job and that his dry cough was a side effect of the meds. He took over a big mess with the NCAA on their backs from the Jeremy Pruitt scandal and I'm sure he was probably stressed out. At this years SEC Media Days, Freeze said he does his best to get his coaching staff out very early on Wednesday's so that they can eat dinner with their family and attend church if they choose to. He said he does it for himself too because it just gets to be too much sometimes. 

Saturday night, Joey Galloway and Dan Mullen were on College Football Final talking about Norvell at FSU and Napier at Florida and what they're going through right now. Mullen said coaches don't hear nearly as much stuff from fans and social media as we would think because they're in the football facility between 18 and 20 hours a day working on game plans, recruiting, etc. He said the players hear the bad stuff alot more because they're hearing it in class and on social media. When Gus coached here, his wife Kristy said that Gus has always averaged between 3 to 4 hours of sleep a night his entire coaching career. 

I'm honestly shocked that more coaches haven't had strokes or heart attacks due to the stress and fatigue from the coaching lifestyle.

He’s looked like s*** ever since he stepped off the plane imo. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

That didn’t go well.

Homeless dudes look better 

Okay. A guy coming back from a bad trip.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I don’t think it will matter. If we stuff the box, they’ll light up our slew-footed secondary.

Eh I dunno about that. I haven't been in love with their passing game to date. Kentucky has a better defense than ours, but they really had a rough go against that unit. 

If Auburn could reliably held UGA's running game to about 3.3 YPC or less, I would think UGA scores at or less than 3 TDs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Eh I dunno about that. I haven't been in love with their passing game to date. Kentucky has a better defense than ours, but they really had a rough go against that unit. 

If Auburn could reliably held UGA's running game to about 3.3 YPC or less, I would think UGA scores at or less than 3 TDs.

I hope you're correct. We looked really slow and had a general lack of aggression, Saturday.  I would have dreaded practice after that performance back in the day.

• Like 1

He looks exhausted but I understand that considering the amount of hours head coaches put in. Harsin always looked like a guy stepping out of a GQ magazine shoot and he didn’t work hard at all. I’ll take the tired and unshaven look of Hugh Freeze any day. At least he’s trying to earn his millions. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Do u think Kentucky having Georgias former QB helped the defense prepare. Not sure if UGA would change terminology for one game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e808 said:

Do u think Kentucky having Georgias former QB helped the defense prepare. Not sure if UGA would change terminology for one game. 

I mean honestly, UGA just has a game like that every year. Was down 3-14 against USC (who's best receiver got hurt to give them that 14) and was down 10+ against us in JHS. I think like dynastic era Alabama, you just take your eye off the ball occasionally. 

To answer your question more directly, I just think Kirb, T-Rob, Muschamp, and whoever else, I think they'd cover that contingency. Just like if Saban was going against say, Corey Grant, I think him and Kirby would cover their bases with their defense. But Gus knew their defense (and more importantly, his offense) as much as anyone could. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, e808 said:

We had Cal's former QB and it didn't seem to help. 

Not saying your point isn't valid. Maybe we failed to take advantage. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cbo said:

We had Cal's former QB and it didn't seem to help. 

Not saying your point isn't valid. Maybe we failed to take advantage. 

Neither did 5 turnovers. I wonder how many games have been won by a team that has 5 turnovers? 

On 9/16/2024 at 4:57 PM, DAG said:

I do think this “rebuild” has taken a lot more energy and mental aptitude than he initially perceived. Then you add the extremity of NIL and roster management. I hope he doesn’t pull an urban Meyer. 

Auburn helped Hugh reach the pinnacle of his coaching career, they raised him from coaching purgatory.  When he took the job, he had no idea that a program of Auburn's historical stature within this conference would've ever fallen to the depths they'd fallen. 

First, Gus is his friend & comrade, Hugh never thought Gus started the sinking spell.  Second, there's no way he could've imagined that in 18 short months Harsin's MIA recruiting could've tanked the talent level so badly.  Hugh was blindsided (pun intended) when he accepted the job, the eye-opener to reality happened after he'd performed an in-depth evaluation of the state of the program. 

This job requires unrealistic manhours & personal time and for a family man like Hugh, he's having serious issues finding relaxation & quality time with his family.  He pretty much admitted his mind never shuts off, he goes to bed and wakes up worrying about it.  The time commitment is taking its toll, it's visible in his personal appearance (looks exhausted & disheveled), his overall demeanor in the public has no energy or enthusiasm, and on the sidelines he's unemotional & confused looking at times.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 8:39 PM, TeamZero77 said:

No doubt that's tough work and long hours, however they get paid accordingly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Auburn helped Hugh reach the pinnacle of his coaching career, they raised him from coaching purgatory.  When he took the job, he had no idea that a program of Auburn's historical stature within this conference would've ever fallen to the depths they'd fallen. 

First, Gus is his friend & comrade, Hugh never thought Gus started the sinking spell.  Second, there's no way he could've imagined that in 18 short months Harsin's MIA recruiting could've tanked the talent level so badly.  Hugh was blindsided (pun intended) when he accepted the job, the eye-opener to reality happened after he'd performed an in-depth evaluation of the state of the program. 

This job requires unrealistic manhours & personal time and for a family man like Hugh, he's having serious issues finding relaxation & quality time with his family.  He pretty much admitted his mind never shuts off, he goes to bed and wakes up worrying about it.  The time commitment is taking its toll, it's visible in his personal appearance (looks exhausted & disheveled), his overall demeanor in the public has no energy or enthusiasm, and on the sidelines he's unemotional & confused looking at times.

While a good point, don’t you think other HC’s and CEO’s of struggling companies experience the same. I find it difficult to feel bad for a football coach earning $5 million plus a year. Just my thoughts. 

3 hours ago, fishepa said:

No doubt that's tough work and long hours, however they get paid accordingly.

One can always justify the hard work/long hours for the big pay but they’d never pay enough for me to give up quality of life with my family. I understand I’m in the minority and definitely not a coach. At least Hugh’s daughters are grown. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

While a good point, don’t you think other HC’s and CEO’s of struggling companies experience the same. I find it difficult to feel bad for a football coach earning $5 million plus a year. Just my thoughts. 

The most money I ever made in a two year period was in a miserable sales job. I missed a year and a half of my son's football, basketball, and baseball games. Yeah , I caught some parts of most of them , but even then I was getting called, phoning people or having to leave early. There's not enough money to justify that. I would do that over in a heartbeat, and never miss it for any amount of money. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

One can always justify the hard work/long hours for the big pay but they’d never pay enough for me to give up quality of life with my family. I understand I’m in the minority and definitely not a coach. At least Hugh’s daughters are grown. 

I hope you are not in the minority. I wouldn't take a job like this and sacrifice family time for all the money in the world. 

On the other hand, I don't have a ton of sympathy when Hugh knew what he was getting into and was already comfortable financially. SEC HC's have worked around the clock for years. This is nothing new. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, cbo said:

I hope you are not in the minority. I wouldn't take a job like this and sacrifice family time for all the money in the world. 

On the other hand, I don't have a ton of sympathy when Hugh knew what he was getting into and was already comfortable financially. SEC HC's have worked around the clock for years. This is nothing new. 

Actually I hope I’m not too. I just know a lot who would go for the money. I gave up a higher management position when my son was younger so I could be home and not travel anymore. 

• Love 1