Freeze's Weekly Presser - Week 4 (Auburn vs Arkansas)

RunInRed

• Freeze starts his press conference by thanking the fans again for the atmosphere despite the bad weather.

• Freeze says the biggest glaring thing on defense and special teams was the penalties. Says “that’s not who we are.”

• Freeze says the team didn’t tackle well against New Mexico, adding that he didn’t think the effort was great.

• Freeze calls Arkansas’ offensive line the most improved unit he has seen this year.

• Freeze says the gameplan will be “a little different” when asked about Hank Brown. Said Brown had three things that need to be corrected: A poor choice on a rollout pass and two passes where Freeze said there was a better option. Freeze also added that Brown’s clock awareness needs to improve. Overall, says he is pleased with Brown’s performance.

• When asked about the second halves on defense, Freeze said he believes DJ Durkin and his staff are some of the best at in-game adjustments. Says New Mexico used some motions and sets in the first half that they hadn’t seen before.

• Freeze said Brandon Frazier will be out for an extended period of time and is having surgery tomorrow to put a pin in his foot.

• Freeze said it’s “too early to tell” when asked about the status of Cam Coleman and Izavion Miller for Saturday’s game. Adds that he expects corner Kayin Lee to play.

• Freeze said he thought Auburn was “really solid” in pass protection against New Mexico.

• When asked what makes Bobby Petrino’s offense so different, Freeze calls it a “very good mixture of the pro-style offense with some of the college flare in it.”

• “The most important thing after a dadgum special teams play is that we have the ball,” Freeze said when asked about Keionte Scott’s muffs on punt returns. Said he already met with the special teams they will figure out “who the best option is back there to secure the ball first.”

• Freeze reiterates that he wants to see more balance in the offense and was satisfied with the balance the offense showed against New Mexico.

• “You have to execute at a high level at the quarterback position here to have a chance to win games, or you have to find one that will,” Freeze said on the quarterbacks.

• Freeze says he recruited Hank Brown since he was in tenth grade, back when Freeze was at Liberty. Mentioned that Brown always had an “it” factor to him as an individual.

• Freeze says it’s time for them to “have a package” for Malcolm Simmons. Adds that he has the talent to be on the field more.

• Freeze says they weren’t even going of offer Kaleb Harris until he saw him practice. Adds that Harris reminds him of Cincinnati Bengals defensive back Mike Hilton who played for Freeze at Ole Miss.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2024/09/live-updates-hugh-freeze-recaps-new-mexico-previews-sec-opener-vs-arkansas.html

• Thanks 2

i guess just me being grumpy.....but what "motions and sets" could have the NM offense have used that Durkin hasn't seen before?  this comment is way too much coach speak, imo.  just say the D played like crap.  

You'd think, as much as Auburn pays Freeze, he could afford to buy a razor and use it, so as to look the role of representing a major university

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He said he was prepared to cancel tiger walk. Correct me if I am wrong. Never heard a coach utter that before. I know it’s picky 😂 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

You'd think, as much as Auburn pays Freeze, he could afford to buy a razor and use it, so as to look the role of representing a major university

He looks miserable lol. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

i guess just me being grumpy.....but what "motions and sets" could have the NM offense have used that Durkin hasn't seen before?  this comment is way too much coach speak, imo.  just say the D played like crap.  

I think he said that!!

40 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

This comment doesn’t seem to correspond to today’s predominantly popular short beard look.

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

He looks miserable lol. 

He does. Ole Miss got the best of Freeze. We got a miserable old depressed mess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He does. Ole Miss got the best of Freeze. We got a miserable old depressed mess.

I do think this “rebuild” has taken a lot more energy and mental aptitude than he initially perceived. Then you add the extremity of NIL and roster management. I hope he doesn’t pull an urban Meyer. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:
  • Freeze starts his press conference by thanking the fans again for the atmosphere despite the bad weather.

• Freeze says the biggest glaring thing on defense and special teams was the penalties. Says “that’s not who we are.”

• Freeze says the team didn’t tackle well against New Mexico, adding that he didn’t think the effort was great.

• Freeze calls Arkansas’ offensive line the most improved unit he has seen this year.

• Freeze says the gameplan will be “a little different” when asked about Hank Brown. Said Brown had three things that need to be corrected: A poor choice on a rollout pass and two passes where Freeze said there was a better option. Freeze also added that Brown’s clock awareness needs to improve. Overall, says he is pleased with Brown’s performance.

• When asked about the second halves on defense, Freeze said he believes DJ Durkin and his staff are some of the best at in-game adjustments. Says New Mexico used some motions and sets in the first half that they hadn’t seen before.

• Freeze said Brandon Frazier will be out for an extended period of time and is having surgery tomorrow to put a pin in his foot.

• Freeze said it’s “too early to tell” when asked about the status of Cam Coleman and Izavion Miller for Saturday’s game. Adds that he expects corner Kayin Lee to play.

• Freeze said he thought Auburn was “really solid” in pass protection against New Mexico.

• When asked what makes Bobby Petrino’s offense so different, Freeze calls it a “very good mixture of the pro-style offense with some of the college flare in it.”

• “The most important thing after a dadgum special teams play is that we have the ball,” Freeze said when asked about Keionte Scott’s muffs on punt returns. Said he already met with the special teams they will figure out “who the best option is back there to secure the ball first.”

• Freeze reiterates that he wants to see more balance in the offense and was satisfied with the balance the offense showed against New Mexico.

• “You have to execute at a high level at the quarterback position here to have a chance to win games, or you have to find one that will,” Freeze said on the quarterbacks.

• Freeze says he recruited Hank Brown since he was in tenth grade, back when Freeze was at Liberty. Mentioned that Brown always had an “it” factor to him as an individual.

• Freeze says it’s time for them to “have a package” for Malcolm Simmons. Adds that he has the talent to be on the field more.

• Freeze says they weren’t even going of offer Kaleb Harris until he saw him practice. Adds that Harris reminds him of Cincinnati Bengals defensive back Mike Hilton who played for Freeze at Ole Miss.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2024/09/live-updates-hugh-freeze-recaps-new-mexico-previews-sec-opener-vs-arkansas.html

Thanks for cliffing these, RIR. I actually had rather read notes ...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Chaotic is an understatement. 

I think I used the description "Keystone Kop Defense" during the game...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

I do think this “rebuild” has taken a lot more energy and mental aptitude than he initially perceived. Then you add the extremity of NIL and roster management. I hope he doesn’t pull an urban Meyer. 

Also add the fact that he doesn’t have the frequent trips to the titty bars. I think we forget that when he was at Ole Miss he was living like life like Keith Richardson.

• Haha 3
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Also add the fact that he doesn’t have the frequent trips to the titty bars. I think we forget that when he was at Ole Miss he was living like life like Keith Richardson.

Lol! Wth is Keith Richardson? 😂

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

This comment doesn’t seem to correspond to today’s predominantly popular short beard look.

Hugh ain't pulling it off. He just looks like a dad coming back from the family camping trip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Once the coaching staff gels and recruiting doesn't take 24 hours a day, I think Hugh could have some fun with game planning and game day gunslinging - if he hasn't forgotten what's relevant and/or had an aneurism.

47 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

But also, a guy I know named Keith Richardson who hangs out at the titty bars in Oxford. 😂

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You know, that's Mick Jaggersons mate...

Him n ole Ron Wooderson.

Too bad about Charley Wattson... he was my favorite. 

Edited by JGLEATON
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He will have to drive about 40 minutes across the river to Columbus if he wants to hit the titty bars lol.