My Thoughts From the Stadium (New Mexico 2024)

abw0004

Good morning all,

I hope for those of you that went you are dried off by now.  Let's go ahead and jump in!

Weather:  Well, as most of you could tell on the TV, it rained right before halftime.  I really consider us fortunate, because all week, including the morning of, it was supposed to be nothing but thunderstorms during the slated time of the game.  To be honest, I was even dreading having to go because I thought the game would end up being cancelled with how it was supposed to be thunderstorms until 3:00 AM.  By the grace of God, a window opened up for us where we could not only have the game, but finish on time.  When it rained though, boy did it ever.  I should have taken a picture because at times it was hard to see the players on the field.  With the rain, however, you find out who is a true die-hard fan.  Those of us that not only stayed in our seats, but welcomed the rain as we were going to be there, thick and thin.

Crowd:  Speaking of the crowd, the stadium was not as packed as it was the first two games.  I expected this with the predicted weather and it being a smaller game than the SEC slate we are headed into.  Because of all of these factors, our fans were not that rowdy, outside of the student section.  Now, I will say, when Hank Brown was announced as the starter, the crowd went wild.  Here is what it sounded like:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/r594tyUWGNU

Concessions:  For those of you that went to the first game or two, it appears Auburn listened to our suggestions and installed extra self-serve kiosks at the grab and go lines.  Those that have not been yet this year, it is pretty cool.  You just put down your items and the kiosk knows what you bought and you pay then and there.  I have never seen this technology anywhere else before.  Pretty cool.

Recruits:  There were a fair amount of recruits at the game on Saturday, which again, surprised me.  This was not a big game, and the predicted weather was bad.  I would go out on a limb to say that the loss last year did not dissuade recruits from Auburn.  They seemed to be having a good time too, from what I could tell at the game and social media.

Hank:  We have our starter ladies and gentlemen.  Not only did Hank look the part, his interviews were of someone we need in a leader at the quarterback position.  I hope he continues to do well, not for Auburn's sake, but just because it a great story that Auburn would be proud to have.

Arkansas:  These next two games will really say a lot about our team, so for those of us attending, let's get there early and be loud.  I certainly will be there and I will be dragging my wife and her parents along who are Tennessee fans.  If you are going to the game, don't be afraid to reach out to me if you would like to meet.  It is always nice meeting fellow Auburn fans on the forum.

Power Stripe:  For the Arkansas game, fans are asked to color coordinate for the game.  Here is the color chart for those looking to go.  Until next week, :wareagle:

sdsd.thumb.jpg.9174467aa690fad60447ca0e678b3dc9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

This Power Stripe has potential ... the student section may get interesting with multiple colors but maybe they handle seating differently than when I was student!

Weather looks beautiful for the Arky game.  Tickets are surprisingly cheap on the stub hub.  Let’s pack it out and get loud.

• Love 1

Those concessions that scan all of your items by just sitting them down is very cool. There are actually various newer convenience stores in my area that have had those for a year or two.

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Good morning all,

I hope for those of you that went you are dried off by now.  Let's go ahead and jump in!

Weather:  Well, as most of you could tell on the TV, it rained right before halftime.  I really consider us fortunate, because all week, including the morning of, it was supposed to be nothing but thunderstorms during the slated time of the game.  To be honest, I was even dreading having to go because I thought the game would end up being cancelled with how it was supposed to be thunderstorms until 3:00 AM.  By the grace of God, a window opened up for us where we could not only have the game, but finish on time.  When it rained though, boy did it ever.  I should have taken a picture because at times it was hard to see the players on the field.  With the rain, however, you find out who is a true die-hard fan.  Those of us that not only stayed in our seats, but welcomed the rain as we were going to be there, thick and thin.

Crowd:  Speaking of the crowd, the stadium was not as packed as it was the first two games.  I expected this with the predicted weather and it being a smaller game than the SEC slate we are headed into.  Because of all of these factors, our fans were not that rowdy, outside of the student section.  Now, I will say, when Hank Brown was announced as the starter, the crowd went wild.  Here is what it sounded like:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/r594tyUWGNU

Concessions:  For those of you that went to the first game or two, it appears Auburn listened to our suggestions and installed extra self-serve kiosks at the grab and go lines.  Those that have not been yet this year, it is pretty cool.  You just put down your items and the kiosk knows what you bought and you pay then and there.  I have never seen this technology anywhere else before.  Pretty cool.

Recruits:  There were a fair amount of recruits at the game on Saturday, which again, surprised me.  This was not a big game, and the predicted weather was bad.  I would go out on a limb to say that the loss last year did not dissuade recruits from Auburn.  They seemed to be having a good time too, from what I could tell at the game and social media.

Hank:  We have our starter ladies and gentlemen.  Not only did Hank look the part, his interviews were of someone we need in a leader at the quarterback position.  I hope he continues to do well, not for Auburn's sake, but just because it a great story that Auburn would be proud to have.

Arkansas:  These next two games will really say a lot about our team, so for those of us attending, let's get there early and be loud.  I certainly will be there and I will be dragging my wife and her parents along who are Tennessee fans.  If you are going to the game, don't be afraid to reach out to me if you would like to meet.  It is always nice meeting fellow Auburn fans on the forum.

Power Stripe:  For the Arkansas game, fans are asked to color coordinate for the game.  Here is the color chart for those looking to go.  Until next week, :wareagle:

sdsd.thumb.jpg.9174467aa690fad60447ca0e678b3dc9.jpg

Is beer being sold in the entire stadium this year? 

13 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Is beer being sold in the entire stadium this year? 

Yes it is.  There is a limit of two drinks per person though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RunInRed said:

This Power Stripe has potential ... the student section may get interesting with multiple colors but maybe they handle seating differently than when I was student!

Well. According to many posts on the game thread, there will be a lot of people who are out until a change is made. Therefore a lot of tickets will be sold at the game on the street. How does one know what color to wear when you only get your ticket an hour before the game.

I'm sure I'll be that one dude with orange on in the middle of a sea of navy...

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

How do they track that? Scan your ticket when you purchase them? 

2 minutes ago, nurbis said:

How do they track that? Scan your ticket when you purchase them? 

I would imagine it would be per visit.  You could probably just come back 10 minutes later and buy two more.

2 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I would imagine it would be per visit.  You could probably just come back 10 minutes later and buy two more.

Makes sense. I was thinking it was an effort to limit how much people were drinking during the game. 

19 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Well. According to many posts on the game thread, there will be a lot of people who are out until a change is made. Therefore a lot of tickets will be sold at the game on the street. How does one know what color to wear when you only get your ticket an hour before the game.

Jersey upon jersey upon jersey!!

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

Could be worse.   My first away game at Auburn was in 1987.  At Tennessee. The tie game. 

A couple of high school buddies that went to UTenn talked me into coming up. Ticket for that game were hard to get. They said they could get a ticket for me.   So I hooked up with a random group from campus for a ride to Knoxville.  Met my buds and got the ticket.  I assumed it would be in the UT student section with my buddies.   NOPE!     I was smack dab in the middle of the died in the wool Vol fans.  The redneck kind.  As far from the AU band and fans as possible.   I was literally the only one in blue in a sea of orange and white.   There were two Auburn fans in the next section.   It was Quite miserable for most of the game...    UNTIL....

At some point in our final drive (maybe after the last TD) the sea of orange sat down.   Us 3 Auburn people, spread over 2 sections,  standing and screaming , clapping and stomping.   I could understand the other AU fans were saying clearly - from 20+ yards  away.    Even with the band playing on the other side of the field.  One of the most quiet I have ever heard Neelan stadium ...  UNTIL.....

We kicked the extra point to tie the game.    The game ended and it was like kissing your sister.   UT fans were pissed that we went for the tie.   Auburn fans were satisfied  (underdog on the road a tie is basically a win)   But it was still not a win so there was no razzing of the UT fans.   Walking out of that stadium was surreal.  NOBODY was saying ANYTHING.   Complete silence from both sides.

Side note for you young people that may not know....   

Tennessee was so pissed that we went for the tie that the students gathered  hundreds (thousand?) of ugly ties.   As an insult they had the ties delivered to Pat Dye.     Who in turn,  autographed all the ties and sold them/ auctioned them off for charity.  LOL

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Could be worse.   My first away game at Auburn was in 1987.  At Tennessee. The tie game. 

A couple of high school buddies that went to UTenn talked me into coming up. Ticket for that game were hard to get. They said they could get a ticket for me.   So I hooked up with a random group from campus for a ride to Knoxville.  Met my buds and got the ticket.  I assumed it would be in the UT student section with my buddies.   NOPE!     I was smack dab in the middle of the died in the wool Vol fans.  The redneck kind.  As far from the AU band and fans as possible.   I was literally the only one in blue in a sea of orange and white.   There were two Auburn fans in the next section.   It was Quite miserable for most of the game...    UNTIL....

At some point in our final drive (maybe after the last TD) the sea of orange sat down.   Us 3 Auburn people, spread over 2 sections,  standing and screaming , clapping and stomping.   I could understand the other AU fans were saying clearly - from 20+ yards  away.    Even with the band playing on the other side of the field.  One of the most quiet I have ever heard Neelan stadium ...  UNTIL.....

We kicked the extra point to tie the game.    The game ended and it was like kissing your sister.   UT fans were pissed that we went for the tie.   Auburn fans were satisfied  (underdog on the road a tie is basically a win)   But it was still not a win so there was no razzing of the UT fans.   Walking out of that stadium was surreal.  NOBODY was saying ANYTHING.   Complete silence from both sides.

Tennessee was so pissed that we went for the tie that the students gathered  hundreds (thousand?) of ugly ties.   As an insult they had the ties delivered to Pat Dye.     Who in turn,  autographed all the ties and sold them/ auctioned them off for charity.  LOL

I didn't realize we were the underdog in that game. I thought the Tie Dye game was the Sugar Bowl game with Syracuse lol. I thought AU should won both games myself, but interesting story.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shadow Tiger said:

I didn't realize we were the underdog in that game. I thought the Tie Dye game was the Sugar Bowl game with Syracuse lol. I thought AU should won both games myself, but interesting story.

Hey,  I'm old, and the Mandela Effect is a real thing.   You are likely correct about the actual "tie game" that involved the tie sending and signing.   I was not at That Sugar Bowl.   But,  the quiet stadium in '87  I remember clearly.    

edit:    Mandela again?    I seem to remember a UT tie at home like 5 or 6 years later.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

We both know the people who complain the loudest on every game thread haven’t been to a game in years.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Dye had a great sense of humor!! He would of had a great time with us on this board!!

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Hey,  I'm old, and the Mandela Effect is a real thing.   You are likely correct about the actual "tie game" that involved the tie sending and signing.   I was not at That Sugar Bowl.   But,  the quiet stadium in '87  I remember clearly.    

edit:    Mandela again?    I seem to remember a UT tie at home like 5 or 6 years later.

The Syracuse coach pissed off at the end of the game was always hilarious to me. Hang on to that tie 😎

• Like 1

7 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Per person? Or Per Person per trip? Asking for a friend ;) 

In '87 Tennessee tied us...we were up 20-13, they scored with about 2:00 left and kicked the extra point. We got to about Tennessee's 35, but had bungled timeout management earlier in the half to where we didn't have any timeouts to kill the clock. Any Vols fans bitching about us playing for the tie had it ass backwards, as it was in their hands to go for two and the win. That tie felt like a loss.

Sugar Bowl after the '87 season was the tie-autographing game. I think the proceeds from the ties that were sold went to the library.

In '90, we tied Tennessee. We were down 26-9 early in the 4th and rallied. We scored with about 2:00 left and kicked the PAT. Ironic part was that it shouldn't have mattered. They got inside our 20 on their last drive and their kicker yanked a 35-yard FG way left...it never had a chance. That was a tie that felt like a win.

Sorry for the derail...the Tennessee games from when I was a student stand out to me. I made the round trip to Knoxville and back in one day in 1989 in the rain...long, mostly miserable day to boot.

Carry on. I'll be wearing orange, blue and white as I watch from home.

10 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Per person? Or Per Person per trip? Asking for a friend ;) 

I think it is just per trip.  I don't see how they can stop you from coming back. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

i knew he did it for michigan but i did not know he did it for the tennessee game. i tried to get a tie but they sold out quick.