vs Lobos Post Game Thread

2 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

We will need transfer regardless for next season. Bring in the best player you can and let them compete 

Thats a tricky one. If he builds rapport with the receivers and does everything asked why would u need a portal qb. The focus should be to get a high school quarterback

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Now, Hank does look down one receiver and I'd still caution everyone about how he will look against Arky. Once again, our OL was not challenged. Once the OL gets challenged, then an immobile and inexperienced QB gets into trouble. 

I don't think Cobb needs any more touches. They are all very average RBs. 

I agree but would like to see the carries distributed more evenly.   I like the speed of Alston and Cobb.   So far, Hunter and Alston seem to have a fumbling problem.  

13 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Zero INTs prob the more important stat.

True but a couple of them should have been intercepted.

One he threw into triple coverage.

facepalm-really.gif

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Still California was probably better than New Mexico on the DL.

Probably??

13 hours ago, gr82be said:

He should be the starter but I’m not loving my perception of the second part of Freeze’s comment. Almost reads like an eye roll comment.

He picked Thorne. Folks don't like being wrong. Soon as we get down 14+ to someone, Freeze will be pulling the Thorne trigger to prove to everyone he was right.

13 hours ago, gr82be said:

Hank played very well, no contest between This week Hank and last week Payton.

So there is a contest between the Cal D and the New Mexico D?

dfg.gif

50 minutes ago, e808 said:

Thanks a tricky one. If he builds rapport with the receivers and does everything asked why would u need a portal qb. The focus should be to get a high school quarterback

If he remains the starter it will be all about the numbers (or should be).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aubi1961 said:

Did LB Asante play last night. I didn't hear his name much. I know we have issues being young in the secondary and other areas, but I'm wondering if the way we were playing there QB, to not get loose running the ball, might have added to how the defense looked. I know we have issues, my goodness there WRs were eating us up at times. Also we looked confused way down into the play clock, looking over at the sidelines. Hope we can clean some things up, but being so young, it won't be easy. I know Arkansas QB is bigger, not sure if he is elusive as the New Mexico kid, I could be wrong.

I remember seeing Asante on the field with a bad limp early in the game. Not sure he played much afterwards?

15 minutes ago, Viper said:

He picked Thorne. Folks don't like being wrong. Soon as we get down 14+ to someone, Freeze will be pulling the Thorne trigger to prove to everyone he was right.

dfg.gif

giphy(41).gif.c9351116525e822953be6b58241f3a61.gif

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Viper said:

dfg.gif

And he’ll still be wrong based on everything we’ve seen from Thorne to this point. 

Edited by gr82be

47 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I agree but would like to see the carries distributed more evenly.   I like the speed of Alston and Cobb.   So far, Hunter and Alston seem to have a fumbling problem.  

I think the problem the (improved) O-line has has had with Cal and the Lobos (and with New Mexico State last year) and also the problem our D-line has getting penetration is these school recruit linemen who are under the radar and keep them 4 years. A 23 year old with 4-5 years in the weight room can push around  a much more gifted 18-19 year old.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

And he’ll still be wrong. 

Agreed cause Thorne isn't a comeback QB.

There simply isn't a QB on the roster that can lead this team to 8 wins. Never was. There are talent deficiencies everywhere.

I wish Men In Black could zap my memory of the last 4 seasons and 3 weeks. Then Marty and Doc transport me to Sept 2025 to have a peek at the new blood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, naildawg said:

I think the problem the (improved) O-line has has had with Cal and the Lobos (and with New Mexico State last year) and also the problem our D-line has getting penetration is these school recruit linemen who are under the radar and keep them 4 years. A 23 year old with 4-5 years in the weight room can push around  a much more gifted 18-19 year old.

I think this is why you’re seeing so many close games and upsets by “lesser schools” in the first couple weeks.  There’s something to be said for multi year reps with the same guys whether it’s practice or in game.

I think we have a false sense of self from practice. 

1) Passing game looks great in practice because our secondary is weak. 

2) Running game probably looks good in practice because our DL is lacking

3) OL has not improved much but looked better than last year because of going up against our DL. 

The games have been our reality check. It’s been hard to watch. Just hoping our boys have the motivation to reach deep for improvement. Most of our assistant coaches are not new to the SEC so I’m shocked with what I’ve seen on the field. 

• Like 6

Why was Geriner put in for the last play of the first half? And how in the world does he not throw the Hail Mary? That was his one job. 

• Like 2

The NM QB is much better than anybody we have.  I hope he hits the portal at the end of the year along with that receiver that was eating our secondary’s lunch.  

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, cbo said:

Why was Geriner put in for the last play of the first half? And how in the world does he not throw the Hail Mary? That was his one job. 

This is why he has not seen the field in 3 years.   Not a “heads up” player so to speak.   Speaks volumes on why he isn’t playing if it wasn’t obvious 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

The NM QB is much better than anybody we have.  I hope he hits the portal at the end of the year along with that receiver that was eating our secondary’s lunch.  

Their QB completed 50% of his passes and had 1 TD and 2 INTs. How many completions were pure coverage busts? (two NM receivers running beside each other down the middle of the field with nobody covering either of them).

Relax my guy. Their QB had an OK game against a bad defense.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, naildawg said:

That's an interesting take. I haven't thought of that.

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

The NM QB is much better than anybody we have.

On 9/13/2024 at 5:07 PM, Viper said:

QB Dampier will be the best QB in the stadium tomorrow.

2 hours ago, NCTiger1982 said:

I think we have a false sense of self from practice. 

1) Passing game looks great in practice because our secondary is weak. 

2) Running game probably looks good in practice because our DL is lacking

3) OL has not improved much but looked better than last year because of going up against our DL. 

The games have been our reality check. It’s been hard to watch. Just hoping our boys have the motivation to reach deep for improvement. Most of our assistant coaches are not new to the SEC so I’m shocked with what I’ve seen on the field. 

True, I suppose what we’ve seen has been close to beat writer reports. It was interesting at the time that people felt okay about our passing game and RBs but didn’t think much of the OL. Freeze did stress that unit wasn’t good (in his own fun way), but it just seemed almost paradoxical at the time 

In that last game, I definitely felt like that was the case. Hunter would probably be  a top 3 RB in conference behind a different OL (and scheme). I think Alston and Cobb just have to be used more. I do think we miss Battie and a potential side to side runner a bit, but the edge blocking has been so meh that I don’t think he’d be able to be used well 

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Hank’s head set went out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Oh yeah , coaching or lack of it cost us that game 

There was some bad coaching. But that awful OL performance made a bad QB look even worse.