vs Lobos Post Game Thread

12 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

We have to win like it’s NCAA 24 or they go off the chain. 

Perry Thompson would definitely be getting more targets if that was the case. 

12 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Well it shows freeze was wrong. Daddy don’t like to be wrong.

Agree with you in general about Freeze, but I had no problem with this comment. 

• Like 2

Offense:

1. Hank is just better than Thorne. I think Thorne’s mobility appeals to an offensive minded coach and his experience is attractive. However, Hank’s decision making and quick release made all the difference. He zips the ball to the receivers. Honestly, the reason he didn’t have an interception or two was because of how hard he slings that thing. One thing, Brown has a bad tell on his snap count; if you go back and just watch his hands/elbows you can easily jump his snap. I think that’s how their defense got to him and the running back as the handoff was happening a few times. Only having a little while with the 1’s I’m sure they’re learning his cadence. Not a lot of false starts with a new QB in which is nice.

2. Running back is weird. We just don’t have that Tre Mason, Kerryon, Caddy, Ronnie, or even Ben Tate type of back. We’re fumble prone and just not breaking the big touchdown runs. That said, Hunter is looking a lot better in short yardage runs. Burn the wildcat formation out of the playbook.

3. Receivers and Tight Ends have to block better downfield and on the edge. That said, our hands were good today, and some decent separation was made. Didn’t seem to be as many miscommunication moments. If there were maybe Hank is throwing to where they’re going to be and not where they were “supposed” to be. Perry and KLS have to get more targets. Fairweather seemed to heat up too. Camden Brown was a pleasant surprise.

4. OL serviceable. Would like to have seen better running lanes but I think NM was selling out on the run for a good chunk of the game. Cobb needs more touches. Damari has to hold onto the ball better.

5. Special Teams was great minus punt return.

6. penalties were annoying

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, gr82be said:

He should be the starter but I’m not loving my perception of the second part of Freeze’s comment. Almost reads like an eye roll comment. Hank played very well, no contest between This week Hank and last week Payton. 

I think it reads like he knows that NM has the worst defense in FBS and wants his team to practice like it understands next week will be significantly more difficult. 

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The amount of post play penalties resulting in first downs was maddening. Extended a handful of drives where the defense perceivably had them dead to rights. 

• Like 2

My blazers better not have put up a better shot than AU will against Arky next week. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AURex said:

At this point, you'd think the coaches would have got them at least able to line up and stay in lanes and tackle. I guess not.

Do you not ever think that any of the play on the field is a players fault?  At this level of competition and from playing years of football, the players are responsible for their “play” on the field.   Everyone teaches angles of pursuit and gap responsibility.   I’m guessing that most of the people that post on here have never played sports.   At least it reads that way.   

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

If HB plays against Cal, do we win that game? 

Yes we do. That's why it was so frustrating,  not seeing Freeze get him in the game in the 1st half. Probably going to wish he had that win by season end, because it's fixing to get brutal. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Yea that almost seemed like a “you mf’s think you’ve won, but Hank will fail eventually” type comment😂

It did have that kind of feel to it. 

Did LB Asante play last night. I didn't hear his name much. I know we have issues being young in the secondary and other areas, but I'm wondering if the way we were playing there QB, to not get loose running the ball, might have added to how the defense looked. I know we have issues, my goodness there WRs were eating us up at times. Also we looked confused way down into the play clock, looking over at the sidelines. Hope we can clean some things up, but being so young, it won't be easy. I know Arkansas QB is bigger, not sure if he is elusive as the New Mexico kid, I could be wrong.

8 hours ago, TigerOne said:

He’s great on the radio also. Sees things before they happen 

Reminds me of another ex QB who spent time in the booth and had the same abiltiy.  After a few years Coach Dye put him on staff.  Old #7. One of a kind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CCTAU said:

That’s hard to say. I think if he prepared as the starter all week, maybe. 
However, that OL was a crapshow early and often. Would that have affected him more? I don’t know. 
I do know that the play calling and instructions for this game was to run the RPO efficiently and wait for the bomb. Had that been the game plan for Cal, would even PT have been successful? 
We’ll most likely never know. But I loved what I saw from HB today. He played within the game plan and stayed on point the whole game. 

SEC play will speed up the defense. So I hope they prepare him to make decisions a little quicker. I really like his demeanor thus far. I pray he can keep that, grow, and be successful in the SEC. If that happens, he could be special. 

I agree it’s hard to know how things would have gone with Hank.
I’m betting there was a little more emphasis on “quit going after the homerun ball constantly” after last week, which could have recalibrated all of the qbs. 

Im liking Hanks vision better so far, but can he stay cool against the better defenses will be the question. 🤞

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zeek said:

Offense:

1. Hank is just better than Thorne. I think Thorne’s mobility appeals to an offensive minded coach and his experience is attractive. However, Hank’s decision making and quick release made all the difference. He zips the ball to the receivers. Honestly, the reason he didn’t have an interception or two was because of how hard he slings that thing. One thing, Brown has a bad tell on his snap count; if you go back and just watch his hands/elbows you can easily jump his snap. I think that’s how their defense got to him and the running back as the handoff was happening a few times. Only having a little while with the 1’s I’m sure they’re learning his cadence. Not a lot of false starts with a new QB in which is nice.

2. Running back is weird. We just don’t have that Tre Mason, Kerryon, Caddy, Ronnie, or even Ben Tate type of back. We’re fumble prone and just not breaking the big touchdown runs. That said, Hunter is looking a lot better in short yardage runs. Burn the wildcat formation out of the playbook.

3. Receivers and Tight Ends have to block better downfield and on the edge. That said, our hands were good today, and some decent separation was made. Didn’t seem to be as many miscommunication moments. If there were maybe Hank is throwing to where they’re going to be and not where they were “supposed” to be. Perry and KLS have to get more targets. Fairweather seemed to heat up too. Camden Brown was a pleasant surprise.

4. OL serviceable. Would like to have seen better running lanes but I think NM was selling out on the run for a good chunk of the game. Cobb needs more touches. Damari has to hold onto the ball better.

5. Special Teams was great minus punt return.

Now, Hank does look down one receiver and I'd still caution everyone about how he will look against Arky. Once again, our OL was not challenged. Once the OL gets challenged, then an immobile and inexperienced QB gets into trouble. 

I don't think Cobb needs any more touches. They are all very average RBs. 

Edited by Auburn93

9 hours ago, gr82be said:

He should be the starter but I’m not loving my perception of the second part of Freeze’s comment. Almost reads like an eye roll comment. Hank played very well, no contest between This week Hank and last week Payton. 

And never mind that this was Hank's first start as a RS Frosh. Hank looks much better and more confident than a Senior who has tons of gametime. This should be a no-brainer. Trent Dilfer is no dummy. Hank has that something you gotta have at QB.

Edited by boisnumber1
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Zeek said:

Honestly, the reason he didn’t have an interception or two was because of how hard he slings that thing

I'm watching the game now and the TD to Brown, in part, happens because of that zip you mentioned. I do think he may have stared it down a bit much (looked like there was a DB that noticed it, but didn't commit to creeping over for a pick), but when you know you have that velocity, you can get away with it like you said. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shabby said:

HB was untouched all game with zero pressure. He should probably earn that mantle before being annoited. I hope he does but the expectations placed on him after one game against an awful defense baffles me.

He will deliver the ball, which Thorne and Geriner refuse to do. That will lead to opportunities we wouldn't have had otherwise. However, several of those passes he threw last night would have been turnovers against a solid secondary and I suspect his poise will be severely tested because our line still sucks. I do think he's our best option and can get better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aubi1961 said:

Did LB Asante play last night. I didn't hear his name much. I know we have issues being young in the secondary and other areas, but I'm wondering if the way we were playing there QB, to not get loose running the ball, might have added to how the defense looked. I know we have issues, my goodness there WRs were eating us up at times. Also we looked confused way down into the play clock, looking over at the sidelines. Hope we can clean some things up, but being so young, it won't be easy. I know Arkansas QB is bigger, not sure if he is elusive as the New Mexico kid, I could be wrong.

Green is a monster of an athlete...I think he'll be able to shrug off tackles better than any QB we've seen to date. With how bad we've been at paying off on QB pressure, it wouldn't shock me if he had 70+ yds running the ball

The throwing part of being a QB? meh

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'm watching the game now and the TD to Brown, in part, happens because of that zip you mentioned. I do think he may have stared it down a bit much (looked like there was a DB that noticed it, but didn't commit to creeping over for a pick), but when you know you have that velocity, you can get away with it like you said. 

He one into triple almost quadruple coverage that if thrown with a bit of “float” to it then it easily could have been picked. He plays pretty fearless. 

• Like 1

Good to see Jarquez get used.  He needs to be the focal point of the offense and keep the weight off Hank’s shoulders.  

Defense only gave up 9 pts in the final 3 qtrs after 10 in the first.  I think that’s pretty decent.  Another good game to get guys reps.  

Arkansas could dictate the rest of the season.  Win that one and look decent then “future’s bright, no doubt”.  Lose against Arky = hold onto your butts.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheNun said:

If Hank performs well for the remainder of the schedule he should be the favorite heading into the off-season and spring practice but if not then freeze is going to have to pony up and get a qb out of the transfer portal can’t afford a third straight year of uncertainties at the qb position 

We will need transfer regardless for next season. Bring in the best player you can and let them compete 

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

And never mind that this was Hank's first start as a RS Frosh. Hank looks much better and more confident than a Senior who has tons of gametime. This should be a no-brainer. Trent Dilfer is no dummy. Hank has that something you gotta have at QB.

great point! hank is young so i hope if he struggles we give him time. it is odd but for some reason hank just seems to want it more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It did come across as a little backhanded. 

you guys remember this. hank has always been a winner. he reset the record books in tennessee. i think he is our best bet but we shall see.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Good to see Jarquez get used.  He needs to be the focal point of the offense and keep the weight off Hank’s shoulders.  

Defense only gave up 9 pts in the final 3 qtrs after 10 in the first.  I think that’s pretty decent.  Another good game to get guys reps.  

Arkansas could dictate the rest of the season.  Win that one and look decent then “future’s bright, no doubt”.  Lose against Arky = hold onto your butts.  

I think Hunter and the backs will be used more in the passing game as the season goes on. It's something we still haven't shown too much of. Might have to use them a lot if we run into a team that gets a lot of pressure on the QB.

• Like 1