Franken drinks the kool-aid, gets called out by Maher

DKW 86

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Please elaborate on how they’ll cause inflation for Americans beyond the tariffs on EVs.

A tariff is not a one off, it’s simply the 1st step of a retaliation cycle that historically escalates to multiple industries. But if someone has brilliantly invented a new one way, no consequence protectionism scheme - have at it.

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

A tariff is not a one off, it’s simply the 1st step of a retaliation cycle that historically escalates to multiple industries. But if someone has brilliantly invented a new one way, no consequence protectionism scheme - have at it.

Okay, but isn’t the retaliation typically imposing tariffs on our goods raising prices for the Chinese?

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Okay, but isn’t the retaliation typically imposing tariffs on our goods raising prices for the Chinese?

Retaliation usually has several escalating back and forth cycles (also effecting supply chains). 

Im not completely anti protectionism - but its not a panacea and has further reaching consequences than people realize.ie

https://fortune.com/2024/08/16/trump-tariffs-trade-war-inflation-economic-policies-joachim-klement/

13 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

That may be the average. And if you can afford multiple vehicles and have a place to put them, you could have an EV for local trips. Most folks need one car they also feel comfortable taking the occasional longer trip.

Understand.  My only point is EV's could satisfy a large percentage of the market. 

In my case, for example, my average trip is typically 50-60 miles. I drive a little less than 300 miles perhaps four times per year, which is still (barely) within the range of most EV's.   I would be fine with renting a car for the long trip if an EV would save me enough in annual average cost per mile to counter rental costs.

Of course, that analysis is going to vary from person to person.

The only point I'm making is that, IMO,  EVs will occupy a significant part of the future car market in 20+ years.

(And if you appreciate performance, you'll love the torque. ;D)

Edited by homersapien