Report: Hank Brown to start Saturday

CR

1 hour ago, DAG said:

You can tell who watches the games and who doesn’t watch other college football games. Let’s talk McCall, yes he struggled last game against Tennessee who overpowered NC state in every facet of the game , but look at his struggle numbers compared to the struggle numbers of Peyton Thorne. Yes Sanders struggled last year as well to a team that just overwhelmed his offensive line, but look at his struggling numbers against PT struggle numbers. It is vastly different. Context matters. I was never crazy about Riley Leonard and I do not understand why people wanted him so badly. The three guys I wanted was cam ward because he has an amazing arm, McCall because he is built for what freeze wants to do or the Liberty guy because he is also built on the RPO. PT is not built for this offense and is numbers are abysmal against inferior opponents at that. 

Well according to reports, (at least my understanding of them) of the 3 you wanted only one was a possible option due to course work issues from the other 2. 
We were reportedly interested in Cam, but there is know way of knowing if he had any interest whatsoever in being at Auburn. 
So it comes down to how much is a 9ish win season worth and I’m sure many other variables. 
I will be excited if Salter is able to come here as a grad transfer next season. 
I’ll will be excited if we go get a big name quarterback.

The truth though is that they are all a gamble and you have to factor in the value you are getting for your money. 

Several of the “big names” have not proven to be able to move the needle enough to justify the cost IMO. 

4 hours ago, bishoptf said:

Agree I heard a lot of it's not the coaching but imho if your qb is struggling you call different plays to help him get in a groove. I'm not a PT fan but Freeze did him no favors with the play calling. Hope Hank is able to get into a rhythm and makes good decisions. 

O-line being terrible also doesn’t help. It is what it is

Glad to see Hank getting the opportunity. I don't know about you guys, but for some reason, I just feel like Hank with his size, is going to be able to see the field better than Thorne. What I saw in the Bowl game against Maryland,  it looks like he stands in the pocket taller, and can find his WRs. Offensive line is a big part of everything,  so how he handles the pressure at times, will be huge. Not expecting him to be any better than Thorne running the ball, but maybe he can get the ball out of his hand quicker than Thorne to his WRs before he has to bail. I'm hoping he can produce kind of like the kid from California, who really was good at getting the ball to his WRs, until the second half when we started getting pressure on him, but he still held his own. Really hope he performs, even if it is New Mexico. We can't afford to overlook anyone, and New Mexico I would think is a little better than Alabama A&M, even though there defense has issues.

15 hours ago, fishepa said:

Why bring in Hank to just hand the ball off?  I think we’ll be flinging it around like A&M. 

Don't look for this to be the end of Mr. Thorne at Auburn.

New Mexico's D is arguably the worst we'll face this season, bet on a solid mix of O plays. IMHO benching Thorne AND Hunter this game would make sense - both have more than capable backups and both sleep walked through the Cal game. They're both competitors, it would be shocking if a benching did not royally PO them and they came out next game with attitudes necessary for team leaders.

I'm still very curious as to whether this would just be for the first series  or whether he's going to get significant to most of the gameplay time

Edited by shabby

9 hours ago, bishoptf said:

Agree I heard a lot of it's not the coaching but imho if your qb is struggling you call different plays to help him get in a groove. I'm not a PT fan but Freeze did him no favors with the play calling. Hope Hank is able to get into a rhythm and makes good decisions. 

In the breakdown Murray did there was almost always a short option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, shabby said:

I'm still very curious as to whether this would just be the first series for me or whether he's going to get significant to most of the gameplay time

Probably depends on outcome.

I like HB a lot and expect him to have a great game. The great game I expect will need context in how bad the defense he will play against.

When he has the great game to many fans will all of a sudden think he is the savior QB and put unrealistic expectations on him. We have to remember he is a red shirt freshman with limited playing time and limited reps with 1st team. There will be some bumps in the road especially when we play better teams.

So please if he has a bad game down the road, don't start calling for one of the other QB's on our roster. Give him time to make mistakes and get better which I think he can.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, aujohnson said:

Well according to reports, (at least my understanding of them) of the 3 you wanted only one was a possible option due to course work issues from the other 2. 
We were reportedly interested in Cam, but there is know way of knowing if he had any interest whatsoever in being at Auburn. 
So it comes down to how much is a 9ish win season worth and I’m sure many other variables. 
I will be excited if Salter is able to come here as a grad transfer next season. 
I’ll will be excited if we go get a big name quarterback.

The truth though is that they are all a gamble and you have to factor in the value you are getting for your money. 

Several of the “big names” have not proven to be able to move the needle enough to justify the cost IMO. 

Work issues were the first year, not the second. McCall was absolutely available the second time around. So now you bet on Thorne who HAS PROVEN he is incapable and a three star RS freshman has a chance to take his spot. You waste your time overthinking stuff and then the big four can simply vanish because the offense sucks.  

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

No point in going back though . I still maintain we stick with HB. He will have a learning curve but you know what you got with PT and it is not good. Let’s start building for the future. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Everyone will need to be patient with Hank.  It will be pouring rain tomorrow and most likely have thunderstorm delays.  Everything that could go wrong weather-wise may very well happen.  So just be patient with the guy.  

IMG_5069.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Don't look for this to be the end of Mr. Thorne at Auburn.

New Mexico's D is arguably the worst we'll face this season, bet on a solid mix of O plays. IMHO benching Thorne AND Hunter this game would make sense - both have more than capable backups and both sleep walked through the Cal game. They're both competitors, it would be shocking if a benching did not royally PO them and they came out next game with attitudes necessary for team leaders.

Didn’t really sound like Hugh benched him for rest..he was pretty methodical and explained his reasoning.  I don’t care who starts as long as he performs, but if we have a 2 QB system the remainder of the year…yuck.  

• Like 1

even if hank does not work out maybe it will give thorne a wake up call.

• Like 1

I'm anxious to see Hank as well. But even if he lights it up, we have to take it w a grain of salt cause NM defense is terrible.   But, for his confidence,  hope he plays well.

I'm more interested to see what play calling looks like. I get it we have quarterback issues. But we also have play calling issues. Honestly surprised me a little bit

I'm glad Hank is starting today to ease him into game play, instead of throwing him straight to the wolves against Arkansas next week. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

No point in going back though . I still maintain we stick with HB. He will have a learning curve but you know what you got with PT and it is not good. Let’s start building for the future. 

Agreed. Hope he takes the reins and runs with it!

• Like 1

It’s disgusting how many teams look more competent on offense than us. Dating back to Gus, we have had three offensive minded coaches and I’ve seen years of bizarreness and incompetence. I mean look at South Carolina right now. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

even if hank does not work out maybe it will give thorne a wake up call.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think this is what Freeze is intending.

I think there is a possibility that Freeze made this move to shock Thorne, and to show all of us that Thorne is the only QB ready to run the offense this season. Other posters in this thread have alluded to the same.  Like Saban benching Milroe last year for a game.  The backup faltered, and Milroe came back the next week and went on to have a good season.

I don't know.  I just keep thinking about how Freeze has said over and over again that Thorne has consistently outplayed all the other QBs in practice this year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s disgusting how many teams look more competent on offense than us. Dating back to Gus, we have had three offensive minded coaches and I’ve seen years of bizarreness and incompetence. I mean look at South Carolina right now. 

With most teams that look good they have a good qb. USCe is the exception. He looks like Hank Brown when looking at his history. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

With most teams that look good they have a good qb. USCe is the exception. He looks like Hank Brown when looking at his history. 

Well USCe as a freshman QB playing . Kansas state QB is also young and new. Unsure how these coaches are getting their QBs in the right position to make plays and we struggle with it. I am rooting hardcore for Hank brown, today. 

At some point we are going to become a program that can be competitive on both sides of the ball. Why we’re stuck in this loop, I have no clue. Every coach we hire ends up not bringing to the program what he’s good at.

Chizik had bad defense

Malzahn, Harsin, and Hugh had bad offenses. 

Don’t make no damn sense!!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well USCe as a freshman QB playing . Kansas state QB is also young and new. Unsure how these coaches are getting their QBs in the right position to make plays and we struggle with it. I am rooting hardcore for Hank brown, today. 

True but I believe he is same as HB, redshirt freshman.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

At some point we are going to become a program that can be competitive on both sides of the ball. Why we’re stuck in this loop, I have no clue. Every coach we hire ends up not bringing to the program what he’s good at.

Chizik had bad defense

Malzahn, Harsin, and Hugh had bad offenses. 

Don’t make no damn sense!!!

For whatever reason, Chizik couldn't recruit well on the defensive side of the ball.

23 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think this is what Freeze is intending.

I think there is a possibility that Freeze made this move to shock Thorne, and to show all of us that Thorne is the only QB ready to run the offense this season. Other posters in this thread have alluded to the same.  Like Saban benching Milroe last year for a game.  The backup faltered, and Milroe came back the next week and went on to have a good season.

I don't know.  I just keep thinking about how Freeze has said over and over again that Thorne has consistently outplayed all the other QBs in practice this year. 

I actually don’t think it’s a wake up call benching for Thorne, I just think Hugh feels he needs to do something. As far as “waking ” Thorne up, I mean he is what he is. He threw a lot of picks last year too. He is just a super average to below average QB in general. 

Edited by NoALtiger
  • Like 2