Report: Hank Brown to start Saturday

CR

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

The challenge will be for the defense IMO. Must stop the QB run, so rush must stay in their lanes.

It’s both, and even pressure for Freeze too imo - it’s inherent pressure when you can’t just game script for a comfortable win. Like they may have to actually give Hank much more of the “package” than what was told to us earlier in the week.

I know it’s an abominable defense, but I just feel like it’s a difference when you know they’re going to put points on the other side of the ball 

1 hour ago, Auburn93 said:

I think he would look for any chance to win the ball game. 

I don’t, personally. I think he’s shown more of an interest (multiple times) in following his hubris than what the game in front of him has said. But we’ll see! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t, personally. I think he’s shown more of an interest (multiple times) in following his hubris than what the game in front of him has said. But we’ll see! 

Definitely seems to take alot to change the gameplan.

• Like 2

Just now, Hank2020 said:

Definitely seems to take alot to change the gameplan.

I know people have in the past given the OL a ton of flack, and obv Thorne isn’t the greatest, but the complete disinterest in scheming for a 10-20 passing offense (rather than a 40+ yard one) has been almost as egregious 

We have YAC monsters on this team that should eat in a gimmicky screen/dump off scheme (like what Cal ran) 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I know people have in the past given the OL a ton of flack, and obv Thorne isn’t the greatest, but the complete disinterest in scheming for a 10-20 passing offense (rather than a 40+ yard one) has been almost as egregious 

We have YAC monsters on this team that should eat in a gimmicky screen/dump off scheme (like what Cal ran) 

Agree completely. Would also make sense to slow the game down some.

What a mess, would have been much easier for Hugh to have brought in a portal QB instead of hyping Thorne up all offseason and saying all he really needed was better WR’s. He’s just proving literally everyone right about Thorne not having a what it takes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good move for a number of reasons:

- Win the game - check - regardless of who starts they will be on a short leash. Floor to ceiling spread is greater with Hank, and the short leash protects his floor position. 
- Test Hank’s nerves - check - need to see if he has the ability to manage himself with time to think about it. Not the same as subbing out in a game. If he plans to start in the future, no better opportunity to test his ability to handle the pressure. 
- Calm down the fan base - check - not the driving force behind the move, but a nice side benefit. 

WAR EAGLE🏈

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

With Hank starting, I can't see Thorne taking a single snap unless Hank falters.  I would think the idea at this point is to bring Hank along as fast as possible, and that won't happen with Thorne taking snaps.

If Hank has to be pulled vs NM, it's time for basketball...

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

What a mess, would have been much easier for Hugh to have brought in a portal QB instead of hyping Thorne up all offseason and saying all he really needed was better WR’s. He’s just proving literally everyone right about Thorne not having a what it takes. 

I may be giving Hughbert too much credit, but I honestly believe that was to save face with the guys they didn’t and to be somewhat transparent that there were guys they couldn’t afford. 

You couldn’t just say that without also throwing Thorne a bone, which he attempted to 

I imagine with the weather for tomorrow it will mostly be a ground game and not the best measure of what Hank can do on the field

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Which qb do you think he should have brought in?

• Like 1

Lol

Thursday - We aren't playing Hank, Freeze is stubborn and sucks, he is gonna play PT and we will lose, we have elite RB's we need to use them more. If we are going to play Hank we need to get him now before the SEC.

Friday - Hank is the starter. NM sucks, this game will be a blowout, will show us nothing, they are going to run the ball. Playing him in this game is useless.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Not the worst problem to have though.  "Our RS Freshman QB is too awesome."

Agreed. But would love quality depth.

Going to be one helluva Fall camp 2025.

40 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

Yes.

No?

I’m sorry.

I’ll see myself out.

Edited by Tiger Refuge

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Agree completely. 7 to 8 yard throws, and let the guys run with it. The deep throw is a low percentage call, unless the guy is sprinting 6 to 7 yards behind the defender. Plus, we have tailbacks that can catch and make plenty happen. HF, needs to prove he can adjust calls. I for one have not seen it yet and for a HC to claim the TB room as the biggest strength, ahead of the season, what is the issue all of a sudden? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

If Hank has to be pulled vs NM, it's time for basketball...

Yeah, that's what we thought last week too in Thorne vs. the lean, mean Golden Bears.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

It's always easier to spend someone else's money. 

1 minute ago, GAAubie said:

It's always easier to spend someone else's money. 

That’s literally what it’s earmarked for. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

I definitely fall on the Cam Ward side of things but I think there were others that would be better than what we got. 

18 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Agree completely. 7 to 8 yard throws, and let the guys run with it. The deep throw is a low percentage call, unless the guy is sprinting 6 to 7 yards behind the defender. Plus, we have tailbacks that can catch and make plenty happen. HF, needs to prove he can adjust calls. I for one have not seen it yet and for a HC to claim the TB room as the biggest strength, ahead of the season, what is the issue all of a sudden? 

I'm not sure how much of it is play calling vs Thorne throwing to the wrong receiver.  That may have played a part on his  benching tomorrow. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now.

christmas-vacation-loose.gif

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

I definitely fall on the Cam Ward side of things but I think there were others that would be better than what we got. 

He is definitely one that is living up to the hype so far.
It did seem like we legitimately courted him though, but that it got cost prohibitive for a one year bump and still very little chance of really accomplishing much this season. If he had been a to year guy I think more resources would have been warranted. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm not sure how much of it is play calling vs Thorne throwing to the wrong receiver.  That may have played a part on his be benching tomorrow. 

Yeah field vision and timing seemed to be the major issue when you go back and look at the game.